closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex for 18th? Where to buy?

Is this normal? If so I think i need to have words with my parents :)

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Your not kidding. Thinking back 22 years I'm sure I got seat covers for my Astra!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    OP, when is your son's birthday?
    First week in Feb! I know, I know I've left it a little late but have put in the hours of research first!

Apprentice
    I'm hoping it will be an investment of sorts! He can't drink a watch!
    He's on track to study law at an Oxbridge uni so hopefully he will be able to buy me one in 20 years! If I treat him nice now!

Craftsman
    Not suggesting you buy from eBay, but something like this for just over £4k may be achievable. Classic 14060M non-date Submariner with the 4-line chronometer rating on the dial. Timeless and collectable, won't depreciate much, may even appreciate with time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1917660248...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I would have to agree. I'm well over 50 and I wouldn't wear one...

Simon
    I disagree, I'm 36 and would wear one. I think at 18 I would have just been grateful that someone bought me a Rolex 😊 As it happens no one did and I had to buy a Tag F1 myself 😳

Banned
    Explorer. A sub is too boring and everyone will instantly assume it is a fake.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafdaf View Post
    First week in Feb! I know, I know I've left it a little late but have put in the hours of research first!
    Mm, if it were more than 3 months away you could have picked one from SC.
    You could still post a WTB tho (please forum correct me if I'm wrong).
    Personally I think a SubC ND would be the perfect choice.
    And BTW if my dad had bought me one when I turned 18 I would have been over the moon. Don't listen to anyone telling you otherwise and surprise him.
    All the best.
    Gab

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Why not let him pick? It's quite a personal thing.
    Hmmm, I agree. The lad says he wants a Rolex for his birthday but doesn't say which one. It doesn't sound like he has loved and longed-after a particular model. It sounds to me like the lad wants a Rolex. Dare I say so he can say he has one, brag to his friends maybe?

I wanted a Rolex when I was 18 too. I'm 43 and am nowhere near having one but I know which models I love and would buy.

Just saying like.

Craftsman
    Harumph. I bought myself a Datejust for my 21st birthday and I still like it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    +1

Is this normal?
    It will be in certain circles. What I can't quite get my head round in this example is (as I've posted a couple of posts up) that the lad doesn't even have a model he wants, he just wants a Rolex. Well, don't we all. I lusted after the Omega 2264.50 for years, looking at it in the window every time I passed. It literally took me more than 5 years to afford it but I loved it and I didn't look at another watch in that time. When I bought it I was made-up and I loved it for years. I was 30 years old.

I don't see that happening here even though four grand is going to be spent. I'd never dream of telling the OP how to spend his money but I will say that there's no way I'd buy my child a Rolex just because they wanted the brand.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 15th January 2016 at 19:37.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It will be in certain circles. What I can't quite get my head round in this example is (as I've posted a couple of posts up) that the lad doesn't even have a model he wants, he just wants a Rolex. Well, don't we all. I lusted after the Omega 2264.50 for years, looking at it in the window every time I passed. It literally took me more than 5 years to afford it but I loved it and I didn't look at another watch in that time. When I bought it I was made-up and I loved it for years. I was 30 years old.

I don't see that happening here even though four grand is going to be spent. I'd never dream of telling the OP how to spend his money but I will say that there's no way I'd buy my child a Rolex just because they wanted the brand.
    He's actually been a fan of vintage watches for years. I do not expect that he ever thought we would save enough and buy him one for a gift, therefore he has had no real reason to choose a model, except to say that he is aware that a Rolex is a quality brand, worth it's money and yes is something to aspire too. My reasons for wanting to suprise him with a Rolex (albeit one he may exchange) is to show him how much he means to us and reward him for all the years of serious study he has done.

Think hard about whether this present is for you, or for him.

If it's for him, let him pick the watch he wants.

Craftsman
    I started out with this route when my eldest was 21 and with three boys ended up buying a 39mm Explorer, a non-date Sub and a ceramic GMT. My eldest is now in his early thirties and has worn his Explorer pretty much every day aver since. Ditto the others (though one is a doctor and can't wear a watch to work). All of them will say it was a great lifelong gift. My daughter got a Ladies DJ. All were pre owned and although a couple were from forum members, two were from Watchfinder and have no complaints with their service. Personally I'd go for the Explorer, black face and plain bezel which works brilliantly in all business and social situations IMO.

Master
    Let him choose.

Whatever the outcome, for the love of God get it insured.

Apprentice
    Thanks for all your comments so far, some very interesting pointers. Going out now but will pick this up in the morning and hopefully have a better idea of what to do. Really great forum!

Blog Entries
    My reasons for wanting to suprise him with a Rolex (albeit one he may exchange) is to show him how much he means to us and reward him for all the years of serious study he has done.
    That's a good reason to buy him a watch to my mind. Good for you.

Explorer 1 or late Air King.

Try watchfinder.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Let him choose.

Whatever the outcome, for the love of God get it insured.
    Good point esp as insurances not these is expensive! Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    Another vote for the submariner as that's what I'd have a as a sporty 18 year old and a few dings etc. Will add character as he wears it over the years and is the design classic....

Iconic are great but can I put in a vote for one of our own esteemed members here the one and only Haywood Milton.

They are more northern based so I know is a way from you but currently have a 2013 ceramic sub at £4,199 for example and you won't find a more straight up trusted person as him as a mine of valuable information on all things but especially Rolex...

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/3487
    This one!

Best to buy where he can exchange it for something else if he doesn't like your choice.
    BTW, it's a great idea and seems like he deserves it. Good lad.

Get an Explorer I. You can buy one new from Iconic for £3600, which is in your budget. You will have the option to return it then also. It's a great size watch, timeless design that is also very versatile. The Sub is a great watch but they are all over the place!

For my 21st I was lucky to have the chance to pick any watch up to £4K and I chose a 116200 DJ, yes perhaps a bit "old man" but it was what appealed the most at the time and I was/am most grateful. Nearly 5 years later my tastes have changed somewhat and I can't take off my BLNR but I do suggest you give him a say.

Master
    Of course he may just want an Apple watch because 18 yr olds are into tech stuff. I work at a Uni and some students are well off, I've seen Hublot and Panerai but a lot of people just use their phone. A Sub or BLNR would be nice and that custom matt one on SC on this site would be good but let him choose. Bond Seamasters are always popular as are PO's

Journeyman
    For me id go for a 114270. can be picked up for around £2750ish box and papers in excellent condition. The spare money. Pay for a holiday for him. A watch is only new for a day.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    This one!
    Thinking this may be the one? Seems a v good price for a great watch...
    Really I think he would 'enjoy' the suprise element.

Great shout. No date sub perfect for your son IMHO.

QUOTE=lordloz;3840202]Another vote for the submariner as that's what I'd have a as a sporty 18 year old and a few dings etc. Will add character as he wears it over the years and is the design classic....

Iconic are great but can I put in a vote for one of our own esteemed members here the one and only Haywood Milton.

They are more northern based so I know is a way from you but currently have a 2013 ceramic sub at £4,199 for example and you won't find a more straight up trusted person as him as a mine of valuable information on all things but especially Rolex...

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/3487[/QUOTE]

Master
    It is a great watch at a good price. If I was buying for myself I would consider it. But... For a 18th birthday present to my son I would stretch it to a new one. £4600 at chronext, less with the tube100 discount.
    That would be my choice.

Master
    A propos nothing in particular, I bought my eldest a nice vintage DJ as part of his 18th. He still wears it to the office daily and he's 22 going on 52.... oh hang on a minute...

PS With the OP's budget, my vote would be Sub/GMT -

Thanks for the comments from other knowledgeable members here who agree with me,

I believe but can't speak for him of course what you want to do is that if you contact Haywood saying what you are looking at then he will surely look after you let him know you came to him by TZ and would be surprised if he wouldn't exchange in event of your son not liking it....

But as he likes vintage and just knows Rolex as quality it's ideal as being an icon of design if I got that when I was 18 I'd be crying when I opened it with joy.. My rentals despite my family history aren't into watches so I got sod all when I was 21.....

It's a classic which if I was in position to get right now would jump on its not much difference in price to some on SC and from a quality retailer....

As said above though.... Off to uni.....for the love of the horology gods get it fully insured...
    Last edited by lordloz; 15th January 2016 at 23:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    So what? What difference does that make?

If he is the sort of person who wants everyone to know he has a Rolex then get the Sub. If he wants to fly under the radar and/or be a bit different then 100% the Explorer.

Another vote for the 39mm Explorer, I'd personally choose the 36mm though that may be too classically sized for an 18yr old.

Dominic Hackett http://www.hackettwatches.com is a top chap to deal with, though whoever you purchase from I'd enquire about the possibility of exchanging prior to making the initial purchase.

Craftsman
    He is a lucky boy .I got a digital watch with built in calculator and games for my 18th birthday : To be fair I was very pleased with it and enjoyed it for a few years .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'm 44 and happily wear my 1973 two tone DJ.

But I have to agree that it doesn't scream "young, sporty man" to me. ;-)
    I have a 1986 bimetal DJ in mint condition and I love it. I don't understand the 'old man' comments or the aversion to gold, to me it makes more sense than wearing a divers watch to go out in........does anyone really believe you're all bloody divers when you wear them?

I'm able to enjoy several different styles/types of watch, ranging from vintage gold Omegas to the ubiquitous steel divers with black dials.........diversity is the key to collecting in my opinion.

Paul

I bought my Datejust new in 1984 after owning a Submariner for a few years. Anyone who attaches an ageist label to a particular model or style of watch has no real understanding of this hobby. The crux is an appreciation of case shape and design, the mechanics of why a movement works well, etc etc etc. I also have a few issued G10s from the 1980's which I enjoy wearing. I would say ask the lad what he would likes, my son and daughters who are 23, 20 and 16 don't wear watches, which is why I have the G10s lying about, as I bought them to pass on to them to foster an interest prior to my demise and them getting the "good ones". This wont happen, hence a possible sell off and Dornblüth.
    Last edited by magirus; 16th January 2016 at 01:59. Reason: The duplication glitch
    F.T.F.A.

About the best WTB thread,,,,,,,,,,,, ever.

Master
    I'd go with the herd here (a sensible herd) and say Submariner or GMT. I'm rather older, but have just got my first Rolex and went with a 2003 NOS GMT II (the previous, 16710 model), in part because it was subtly different to the Sub, though it still has a 120-click bezel, meaning you can use it for timing things. The newer GMT IIC model has a 24 click bezel which is perfect for the 24 hour function but not really for much else. The fact that I already have an Omega Seamaster Quartz 2264, as a diver, also helped in making that choice. Without that, I'd have been very happy with either GMT or Sub, date or non-date.

The beauty of a Rolex is that it is fairly timeless; new or renewed ones don't look old; and, as they say, if you buy the best model you can't afford, he can keep it forever and till enjoy it in 50 years. Which is probably less feasible with the quartz movement in my 2264.

Rolex for 18th? Where to buy?

What about a 1998 Rolex Seadweller 16600 from his birth year! The beauty of this model is it has solid end links (SEL) so it won't rattle as much has other Rolex's of this year. It also has lug holes so your son can easily swap out the bracelet for nato etc. It's a great ref and it will last your son a lifetime of action. There's one for sale here http://www.robinsonsjewellers.com/pr...x-sea-dweller/

Last edited by natosteve; 16th January 2016 at 07:50.

Craftsman
    A great call Dafdaf. The No Date Sub is possibly the most iconic sub at the moment, classic timeless design. They say on here, buy the seller, well Hayward is one of the trusted people on here and better knowledge on Rolex you will not find....and you know where to go if you get any problems....which I'm sure you wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure your lad wouldn't want to exchange this one

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I have a 1986 bimetal DJ in mint condition and I love it. I don't understand the 'old man' comments or the aversion to gold, to me it makes more sense than wearing a divers watch to go out in........does anyone really believe you're all bloody divers when you wear them?

I'm able to enjoy several different styles/types of watch, ranging from vintage gold Omegas to the ubiquitous steel divers with black dials.........diversity is the key to collecting in my opinion.
    Paul
    I get the reference to diving and a divers watch, but come on! Who here wears training shoes to the shops or pub? Just been running have we? Or jogging bottoms and tee shirt.?.?... But in reality we all wear what we like regardless of its intended/indicated purpose. (For what it's worth I only wear joggers if I have been to the gym I can't stand them they are scruffy and not my idea of clothing!)

And as for collecting watches, most people don't, they just want a Rolex...

I also think the number of people who want 'x' 'y' 'z' on here is a very faulse representation of what watches are out there. I bet out of 500 Rolex watches sold 1 person is a wis and comes on a forum, the rest are normal people with a real life lmao. According to an article I read the standard oyster and DJ out sell other Rolex watches 50:1 because of their affordability, £4k as opposed to £6k is a big jump, and a DJ is STILL a Rolex for the badge collecting average joe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by natosteve View Post
    What about a 1998 Rolex Seadweller 16600 from his birth year!
    Good general shout but that watch has the wrong box with it and appears to not have the other parts of the set. If he develops an interest in watches that might bug him in later years and the price is wrong for something that's not a full set

Master

Sub date

For me it would always be a birth year sub but I'm from the camp of always needing a date?!?!
    As others have said it's quite a personal thing buying such a watch so you are in the best seat to make that decision however £4K does give you pretty much free range when it comes to used!!!
    Always a deal to be done with used aswell!!
    Why don't you buy two datejusts as you can do that with £4K that way you and your son get one on the same day😉 plus he will inherit the other off you one day anyway and I know it would mean a lot as my old mans Airking will never leave me once that comes my way!!!!

Good luck anyway and he is one very spoilt boy although I'm sure quite a few on here would do the same if they could!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    I get the reference to diving and a divers watch, but come on! Who here wears training shoes to the shops or pub? Just been running have we? Or jogging bottoms and tee shirt.?.?... But in reality we all wear what we like regardless of its intended/indicated purpose. (For what it's worth I only wear joggers if I have been to the gym I can't stand them they are scruffy and not my idea of clothing!)
    Not aiming to spoil the thread, but in reality its the sheep that wear training gear but never train, same goes for divers watches that never get wet, desk divers Pah!

Putting on tin hat and anti stab vest as we speak.

Can i ask what watch am i allowed to wear? I dont dive, i am not a pilot etc i just wear a watch

Can i ask what watch am i allowed to wear? I dont dive, i am not a pilot etc i just wear a watch
    Not a case of allowed old fruit, your money your choice, by the same token I wouldn't wear and England football shirt as I don't play for England,,,.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    He's a grown-up, let him buy his own watch...if he really wants one. I rather dislike the assumption that the next generation will value our particular obsessions. In fact i'm not too keen on the whole idea of people of student age collecting baubles. Could be better to let them make their own way in the world, and then choose what items they truly value.
    I suppose this is purely a personal reaction, but if I came across a young guy wearing a Submariner i'd probably think ''what a jerk.'' But that's just me.
    Each generation has to set it's own standards and values...not ape those who went before.
    Althogh I thought that the OP is a father considering giving his son a gift? Something that he has thought about carefully, planning for and invested in and given without his son's involvement. Call me old fashioned if you like, but I don't want to be asked what I want for my birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Althogh I thought that the OP is a father considering giving his son a gift? Something that he has thought about carefully, planning for and invested in and given without his son's involvement. Call me old fashioned if you like, but I don't want to be asked what I want for my birthday!
    I agree, if i was bought a watch by my parents i would appreciate it whatever it is and would rather they chose it

A bit different but my parents bought me a citizen watch years ago and i will never part with it, if id chosen it i think it would have been long gone

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    Get an Explorer I. You can buy one new from Iconic for £3600, which is in your budget. You will have the option to return it then also. It's a great size watch, timeless design that is also very versatile. The Sub is a great watch but they are all over the place!
    This! Or the new 39mm Rolex Perpetual... they're quite sporty and within budget. Definitely buy new as it will come with 5 year warranty. I personally would never buy a second hand Rolex as if anything goes wrong its too expensive to fix.

Beware of high end fakes on Chrino24... theres been way too many occasions when "reputable" dealers passing them on as genuine. .