closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many TZers Currently Own An Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-master_300 View Post
    Always wanted one but can't stand the fact that they are not the official brands (for the most part). Find some a bit deceiving to be brutally honest. *braces himself*
    The storm is coming. BRACE BRACE BRACE

29a currently (and it's going nowhere)

Previously an Everest also

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Try and consider the possibility you might be decieving yourself, because for the whole part they all official brands. If they were not, they could not have been offered for public sale.
    How am I the one deceiving myself exactly? In never said they were illegal, just deceiving, so you can take that one right back. I see you keep the whole Omega debacle nice and quiet, so you can understand why I have my reservations with these products. Furthermore, the fact that 'The "Smiths" watches produced by Time Factors are not in any way connected with the "Smiths" watches produced by Smiths Group plc until 1979' does not fill me with confidence.

How am I the one deceiving myself exactly? In never said they were illegal, just deceiving, so you can take that one right back. I see you keep the whole Omega debacle nice and quiet, so you can understand why I have my reservations with these products. Furthermore, the fact that 'The "Smiths" watches produced by Time Factors are not in any way connected with the "Smiths" watches produced by Smiths Group plc until 1979' does not fill me with confidence.
    Really nice! Reminds me a lot of those Eterna Kontiki IDF divers with that case shape and orange triangle on the bezel
    So this was your first ever post on TZUK, praising a homage watch.

I won't continue to spam the "Who owns an Eddie?" Thread, because you clearly don't.

Apprentice
    So this was your first ever post on TZUK, praising a homage watch.

I won't continue to spam the "Who owns an Eddie?" Thread, because you clearly don't.
    Hahaha! it wasn't a homage watch to the IDF in any way, I was just relating the orange triangle on the bezel! I'm sure you are proud of your stalking but leave it out in future. Hahaha, take care! (and enjoy your Timefactors 'watches')

EDIT: A Crepas is a real Crepas, A 'Broadarrow' can't say the same for itself, homage watches are irrelevant in this debate
    Last edited by Tim-master_300; 24th November 2015 at 16:41.

EDIT: A Crepas is a real Crepas, A 'Broadarrow' can't say the same for itself, homage watches are irrelevant in this debate :smug
    It's not a debate, it's a thread called "Who owns an Eddie?".

The only things irellevant here are your comments.

Apprentice
    It's not a debate, it's a thread called "Who owns an Eddie?".

The only things irellevant here are your comments.
    Handbags.

Handbags.
    Not really. Just dealing with a moron.

Do you have any watches you do like that you care to show off, or (most likely) you haven't saved enough pocket money for one yet?

Almost all of them at one time or another.

Currently: Voyager, Seafire, PRS-82.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

A PRS-14 has just been listed on e-bay if anyone is seriously looking for one.

No guarantees - just saying !!

Apprentice
    Not really. Just dealing with a moron.

Do you have any watches you do like that you care to show off, or (most likely) you haven't saved enough pocket money for one yet?
    Leave it out. I'm not a 'moron', just a student who has worked very hard for what he has. I don't 'show off', I save what little money I earn and my watches may not be the flashiest on the forum (i'm not even going to dignify your rudeness by telling you what they are) but I like them and have worked damn hard for them. This is a watch forum, nothing else. Leave me alone.

Leave it out. I'm not a 'moron', just a student who has worked very hard for what he has. I don't 'show off', I save what little money I earn and my watches may not be the flashiest on the forum (i'm not even going to dignify your rudeness by telling you what they are) but I like them and have worked damn hard for them. This is a watch forum, nothing else. Leave me alone.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    HHAHAHAHA! v true, sorry for the deep response everyone, but personal attacks are uncool in my books.

Leave me alone.
    Poor thing. So you're retracting your comment that a Broadarrow isn't a real Broardarrow. Very smart.

Best of luck with your studies

HHAHAHAHA! v true, sorry for the deep response everyone, but personal attacks are uncool in my books.
    Whilst you are entitled to your opinion of course, this is not the place to be voicing uncomplimentary comments: do it elsewhere if you really feel the need to, but leave this thread alone for those who own and enjoy their Timefactors watches.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Smiths Radio Room here.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Whilst you are entitled to your opinion of course, this is not the place to be voicing uncomplimentary comments: do it elsewhere if you really feel the need to, but leave this thread alone for those who own and enjoy their Timefactors watches.

R
    Thank you, I was probably rather naive in discussing my controversial opinion, and at least you have been dignified and respectful in response. Tim.

at least you have been dignified and respectful in response. Tim.
    Like you were respectful or dignified when you said "I find Eddie's watches decieving" in a thread designed just for members to show off their TF watches?

Were you just venting or didn't you understand what the thread was about? Either way, on this occasion you have come across as a yawn in a bag.

Apprentice
    Like you were respectful or dignified when you said "I find Eddie's watches decieving" in a thread designed just for members to show off their TF watches?

Were you just venting or didn't you understand what the thread was about? Either way, on this occasion you have come across as a yawn in a bag.
    'Yawn in a bag', please grow up. 'Smiths' is deceiving and I have spoken to people on forums who have found out and been thoroughly disappointed. I'm out.

'Yawn in a bag', please grow up. 'Smiths' is deceiving and I have spoken to people on forums who have found out and been thoroughly disappointed. I'm out.
    Well in that case I can't help you.

Goodnight.

Which part of this is deceiving?

Quote Originally Posted by The first line of text on the Smiths TF page

The "Smiths" watches produced by Time Factors are not in any way connected with the "Smiths" watches produced by Smiths Group plc until 1979.
    I have no dog in this fight btw, I have no Smiths watches and I'm unlikely to make a purchase for the foreseeable, I just can't quite figure out what's motivating your vitriol.

So far as I can see, there are two plausible explanations. Either you're an idiot who can't read or you're an idiot seeking your five minutes of infamy for going to the forum of a watch manufacturer and slating their product. Go you!

In an attempt to get this thread back on track.....

Here is the Everest that I used to own on a Darlena vintage style strap

This really is a superb watch and amazing VFM - if only it was available as 36mm

Always wanted one but can't stand the fact that they are not the official brands (for the most part). Find some a bit deceiving to be brutally honest. *braces himself*

They are official brands. The man who has them made, sells them and runs and finances this forum bought the rights to use these names. If you have read the threads where these watches were discussed before their design was finalised and they were built than you would understand the ethos behind them. Equally, if you handled any of them you would appreciate the high standard to which they are built, usually at odds with their cost. I can assure you their is no deceit involved with these watches, just a desire to keep some famous names in production for the benefit of those who appreciate such things. To come here on a forum, as I said, financed and run by the person who makes these watches, is at best disingenuous.
    F.T.F.A.

Here is the Everest that I used to own on a TSS Atlas vintage style strap

Well I'm going to derail it again by telling you that isn't a TSS Atlas!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Well I'm going to derail it again by telling you that isn't a TSS Atlas!
    Bugger - thought no one had noticed - didnt get my edit done in time!

PRS5
    And a PRS82 arrived this morning
    Thinking about a PRS18A for Christmas now

Bugger - thought no one had noticed - didnt get my edit done in time!
    You need to brush up on your ninja skills my friend, maybe head over to SC for some tactical stuff to help you slip under the radar.

I would urge Tim to read the 170 or so posts on this thread and see how many of those posters are extremely happy with their timefactors watch. I own a PRS-14, which is a homage to the early Omega Seamaster Military issued watches, in the real world a genuine issued Omega Military is a five figure sum watch, the Precista is just over £300.00.

Out of interest, the Smiths Everest is on my wants list - a homage to the vintage Explorer - only £5k or more cheaper.

Well that is lovely, great photo/angle as well
    Last edited by TimeOut; 24th November 2015 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    You need to brush up on your ninja skills my friend, maybe head over to SC for some tactical stuff to help you slip under the radar.
    Last time I was over there I beat a hasty retreat after seeing all the ladies under crackers and lace thongs for sale

A Smiths PRS-68 being admired by a scorpionfish:

R

"Found out" what exactly? There is no secret in the fact that Eddie bought the rights to use the Smiths name.

I own an Everest and an Everest. I'm totally happy with both of them. There is no way I'd mistake the one for the other. I rather like Eddies Everest as I think I understand the inherent humour behind his naming decision. Plus it's a very good watch for the money. Has to go on leather though, preferably vintage.

Banned
    Leave it out. I'm not a 'moron', just a student...
    Is the common sense module not until next term?

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I own an Everest and an Everest. I'm totally happy with both of them. There is no way I'd mistake the one for the other.

Master
    This one arrived today

Leave me alone.
    Will do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    This one arrived today...
    Very nice! It looks mint. I had a WTB for one of these a while back but it proved fruitless and I ended up going for a CWC. I’d rather have had both the design of the CWC and the forum connection of the Broadarrow.

Re Tim-master_300’s comments, as magirus has suggested, the essence of the matter for me is that there is no deceit or mis-representation involved.

I have owned three timefactors watches, two bought new, and have been happy in all cases.

So it's safe to say I disagree with Tim's views. I wouldn't have bought the watches I bought if I didn't like what timefactors are all about.

I think though, that it could be argued he's making a fair enough point, but just not expressing it very well.

If his argument is just that he doesn't like homage watches, or zombie brands, then it's fair I think to say this is largely what timefactors do. They do some stuff which doesn't fall into this category, but for the most part it's homage watches, released under defunct brands which Eddie has revived.

I happen to feel this is all done fairly tastefully, and usually produces an interesting watch, which is usually fitting, and deserving of the brand.

It's also all done quite openly and honestly, and for the right reasons, so here, by referring to this principle as deceitful, he is quite clearly way off the mark. For instance, I think Eddie revived the Smiths name to keep a British watchmaking institution alive in some form (and obviously also to sell watches on the nostalgia and the particular cache that brand carries). There is no intention to trick anyone into thinking they are getting a watch made in England by the same people who made the original smiths watches, and the respect shown to the brand means this is more than just a shallow attempt to cash in.

That said, there are some instances where I personally find the brand/watch combination jarring. For instance, the PRS-68. A Seiko homage branded as a smiths doesn't work for me personally. I'd prefer to see the smiths brand reserved for watches which are either homages to watches made by, or in some way linked to the original smiths (prs-29, or Everest for example), or watches which I could see Smiths producing if they were still going today. But that's just my personal preference.

To return to the original purpose of this thread, I've owned a PRS-10, which I bought new, and sold because I decided it was too small. My tastes have since changed in that regard, and I'd happily have that watch back, as I think it is still probably the best G10 money can buy.

I owned a PRS-18Q, which I sold as well. Never bonded with that one, but couldn't fault it for the money.

Currently have a PRS-29a, which I bought quite recently, but I'm loving so far, and can't see going anywhere anytime soon. I think this one, like the PRS-10, is a classic.
    Last edited by seikokiller; 25th November 2015 at 00:10.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    I have owned three timefactors watches, two bought new, and have been happy in all cases.

So it's safe to say I disagree with Tim's views. I wouldn't have bought the watches I bought if I didn't like what timefactors are all about.

I think though, that it could be argued he's making a fair enough point, but just not expressing it very well.

If his argument is just that he doesn't like homage watches, or zombie brands, then it's fair I think to say this is largely what timefactors do. They do some stuff which doesn't fall into this category, but for the most part it's homage watches, released under defunct brands which Eddie has revived.

I happen to feel this is all done fairly tastefully, and usually produces an interesting watch, which is usually fitting, and deserving of the brand.

It's also all done quite openly and honestly, and for the right reasons, so here, by referring to this principle as deceitful, he is quite clearly way off the mark. For instance, I think Eddie revived the Smiths name to keep a British watchmaking institution alive in some form (and obviously also to sell watches on the nostalgia and the particular cache that brand carries). There is no intention to trick anyone into thinking they are getting a watch made in England by the same people who made the original smiths watches, and the respect shown to the brand means this is more than just a shallow attempt to cash in.

That said, there are some instances where I personally find the brand/watch combination jarring. For instance, the PRS-68. A Seiko homage branded as a smiths doesn't work for me personally. I'd prefer to see the smiths brand reserved for watches which are either homages to watches made by, or in some way linked to the original smiths (prs-29, or Everest for example), or watches which I could see Smiths producing if they were still going today. But that's just my personal preference.

To return to the original purpose of this thread, I've owned a PRS-10, which I bought new, and sold because I decided it was too small. My tastes have since changed in that regard, and I'd happily have that watch back, as I think it is still probably the best G10 money can buy.

I owned a PRS-18Q, which I sold as well. Never bonded with that one, but couldn't fault it for the money.

Currently have a PRS-29a, which I bought quite recently, but I'm loving so far, and can't see going anywhere anytime soon. I think this one, like the PRS-10, is a classic.
    Totally agree. It just doesn't compute for me and would have been better suited as a Precista which has more of a diver heritage.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

I think you're being very kind. Unless it was a troll, he comes across as ignorant and naive, doesn't realise what he's said, and maybe not even where he said it. His point is only "fair" if you agree with his assertion that "homages" of classical watches no longer made by the original manufacturers are basically fakes designed to deceive people into thinking they are the real thing, and that ownership of the Smiths and Precista brands is somehow, spiritually, "not allowed".

In any case, he's gone, and I doubt he'll come back, as he's dropped his fart in the lift, and got off at just the right floor !
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I love this but can you put the mountain on a leather strap please?

I own an Everest on a Toshi, a lovely watch.

I referred three colleagues to Eddie's watches and amongst them they own 4 of his watches.

I've had a few and still have a couple

Looks like Tim is a professional, his IP address even features on Wikipedia.

Your recent changes to E number are vandalism and have been automatically reverted by GoblinBot4. Please stop. If your vandalism continues, you will be blocked from changing Wikipedia.
    Your recent changes, like those to Jurassic Coast, are vandalism and are not acceptable on Wikipedia. Please stop. If you continue vandalizing, you will be blocked from changing pages on Wikipedia.
    He doesn't live in London either.

ASK4 is an expert internet service provider specialising in student accommodation.
    Based in Sheffield.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Based in Sheffield.

A local - what a betrayal! Send the boys round.

Student or staff I wonder.

Whatever, he's a well-practiced troll who came here to deliberately niggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post

A local - what a betrayal! Send the boys round.

Student or staff I wonder.

Whatever, he's a well-practiced troll who came here to deliberately niggle.
    It looks like he's using a VPN, he's posted from several countries.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Tim's a douche.

I had a PRS-5, but sold it and I miss it. I hope to be buying something soon, though. I think it will be an 18A though that won't be until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It looks like he's using a VPN, he's posted from several countries.

Eddie
    Ah, OK. So a deliberate niggler with slight identity paranoia. Doesn't narrow it down much amongst your many accidentally created enemies

Looks good John and in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    This one arrived today

my first

my second
    for which I was amazed at how insanely fast the first lot sold out and I was left watchless untill the next production

my third
    which had originally been my first choice at the time, but the plastic crystal had put me off

and then sold it because it just wasn't me

and then my fourth,
    which was really what I had been waiting for all this time

so just to sum up: