closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The reports of my demise are an exaggeration

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Thank’s for the update.

Very mixed feelings on this: pleased for us but disappointed for you.

R
    +lots

Hope you can find a way to resolve your lack of time/forum demands, and the failure of this possible solution hasn't knocked you back too much.

VS didn't handle the transfer with the community very well at all, and as for their financial dealings with you - simply unprofessional.

They can shove their vertically integrated roll-up BS up their fundament!

From a purely selfish point of view I'm glad to see you back Eddie. I didn't like the look of that other lot.

I hope the burdensome IT part of your job can be mitigated - plenty of offers from members here.

I'm no good at IT and if we lived closer I'd get my Mrs to come round and cook for you but I honestly couldn't put you through that!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

It's shame for Eddie that the sale didn't work out, but given the strength of feeling about censorship, advertising and loss of copyright on members' contributions, from the point of view of the members, it can only be regarded as beneficial.

So, given that Eddie's personal circumstances and the reasons which caused him to consider the sale remain unchanged, how do we go forward? If TZ-UK is to remain independent, Eddie needs some form of assistance to run and administer the Forum.

Whatever happens, this is a watershed, and change is inevitable. Can we therefore have some positive and workable suggestions?

Certainly, some form of subscription seems both desirable and workable, and many Forums work in this way, so there is no reason why we shouldn't go down this route for a start.

Speaking rather selfishly I'm glad, I hope Eddie can make it all work out.
    what about selling the forum to members on a share ownership basis something like the john lewis partnership ?
    (Of course, what I know about this could be writ large on a postage stamp.....)

Banned

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Sorry for.you Eddie. As posted above you should have a think around other administration and funding options available to you.
    +1

The Rolex forum from a SC point of view is operated on a annual subscription, perhaps that might be option to consider.

Master
    I'm glad you're still in charge, but disappointed you didn't get the outcome you'd hoped.
    I'm sure you know there are many of us who think a lot of you and this great forum and would be happy to offer any help we could.

I'm so pleased VS are out of the equation, they took over the SCWF and it's never been the same since, for me at least. I hope you can sort out an equitable solution to passing on the TZ-UK reins if that's what you need to do Eddie. I'm more than happy (as I'm sure many more are) to pay subs for this place if it means it can be successfully run without changing its ethos.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Speaking rather selfishly I'm glad, I hope Eddie can make it all work out.
    what about selling the forum to members on a share ownership basis something like the john lewis partnership ?
    (Of course, what I know about this could be writ large on a postage stamp.....)
    I think this is a great idea. Some form of annual membership / member ownership would be a way of keeping this forum unique and self governing whilst giving Eddie the funds to carry on with other more important aspects of his life.

I am sorry to hear that the deal is off Eddie, however judging by two VS liaison staff clueless and confrontational responses in that thread I can safely say that it would have been the end of the TZ-UK as we know it should the deal was allowed to proceed.

Thanks for all your kind words, it's appreciated. I have no intention of introducing subscriptions, money was never the motivator behind my decision to let go of the forum but hey, if somebody is willing to throw money my way it would be foolish to refuse it.

I don't want to add to the uncertainty for the future so I'll just hang on to it, I didn't really want to let it go in the first place.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Thanks for all your kind words, it's appreciated. I have no intention of introducing subscriptions, money was never the motivator behind my decision to let go of the forum but hey, if somebody is willing to throw money my way it would be foolish to refuse it.

I don't want to add to the uncertainty for the future so I'll just hang on to it, I didn't really want to let it go in the first place.

Eddie
    Excellent news! But you should think about a subscription for SC, BP etc., and perhaps the help of 2 or 3 IT guys from here.

Blog Entries

Eddie
    I had the suspicion your heart wasn't in it... I don't think there is any doubting that your intentions were not to simply make a quick buck... You've put up with us all for too long for that to ever be a consideration...!!! If a nominal subscription helps the wheels go round, most on here would stump up... Please take the offer!!!

Have a think, but, take the offer of help be it financially or (probably more pertinently) your time!

Ben

Master

Eddie
    Sounds like fate at play Eddie. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to websites but maybe some of the offers to help out on the admin side would be beneficial? Welcome back sir.

Eddie
    It's excellent news for us Eddie. But as others have said what drove you to the initial decision to part with this forum was the time constraints you are experiencing.

Maybe there is a way we can find a creative solution to lighten some of your time commitments to free up some time for yourself and your good lady.

Sheffield GTG?

Good news as far as I'm concerned too Eddie. You can add me to the list of IT skilled members should you require any free of charge technical help in the future. I run my own web design business part time and am a software developer by day. Happy to help out if it's needed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    in that thread
    Has it been deleted, because I still dont recall ever seeing any confrontation (from us or "them") in any thread which I looked at (which I thought was them all!) - we all seemed pretty welcoming in our unique TZUK way, but people keep referring to a bad thread to do with photography / by the resident photographers that was rude / aggressive / confrontational - I assume must have been deleted?

Eddie
    Look after yourself Eddie. You have alot of support on here.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries

Eddie
    In the first place, I hope you can sort things out at the homefront and with the care for your wife, this forum shouldn't stop you from doing what needs to come in the first place.

If you can indeed manage, and you didn't want to let it go in the first place, glad your back Eddie, the place wouldn't be the same

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I know it would be anathema to many on here but a co-op would seem to be a good model on which to buy the business from Eddie and run it in the future. Members buy shares on joining and time served would entitle you to further buy further shares carrying further privileges.

In addition there would be an annual subscription to fund administration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I know it would be anathema to many on here but a co-op would seem to be a good model on which to buy the business from Eddie and run it in the future. Members buy shares on joining and time served would entitle you to further buy further shares carrying further privileges.

And we all get rich in the process, so we can buy more watches, please our sponsors, and become Phillip

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Has it been deleted, because I still dont recall ever seeing any confrontation (from us or "them") in any thread which I looked at (which I thought was them all!) - we all seemed pretty welcoming in our unique TZUK way, but people keep referring to a bad thread to do with photography / by the resident photographers that was rude / aggressive / confrontational - I assume must have been deleted?
    'Verticalscope Terms and Conditions' thread - still exits.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    'Verticalscope Terms and Conditions' thread - still exits.
    OK will have another search (should be able to find it with the title now - cheers)

Where is Philip when we need him?

Sorry Eddie, maybe the best solution not to sell to that buyer. If the problems start before they buy
    it what have happen next?

I hope it will work out for you my friend and I hope Carol will be fine ASAP.

Jocke

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    And we all get rich in the process, so we can buy more watches, please our sponsors, and become Phillip
    Many may seek to become Philip, but only the selected few achieve it

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    The thread was none of those things, but it seemingly did pose some very pertinent questions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post

If the forum "debates" are anything to go by, the annual shareholders meetings would be as mad as a box of frogs ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Je suis Philip!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The thread was none of those things, but it seemingly did pose some very pertinent questions.
    Yep - agree - have finally found it and digested it, and it really didnt seem bad at all - other than the "tags" which just need to be called out by Eddie and then the function disabled! So why all the fuss people suggesting this is "the thread" that caused the whole deal to fall through?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It's shame for Eddie that the sale didn't work out, but given the strength of feeling about censorship, advertising and loss of copyright on members' contributions, from the point of view of the members, it can only be regarded as beneficial.

So, given that Eddie's personal circumstances and the reasons which caused him to consider the sale remain unchanged, how do we go forward? If TZ-UK is to remain independent, Eddie needs some form of assistance to run and administer the Forum.

Whatever happens, this is a watershed, and change is inevitable. Can we therefore have some positive and workable suggestions?

Certainly, some form of subscription seems both desirable and workable, and many Forums work in this way, so there is no reason why we shouldn't go down this route for a start.
    Sorry it didn't work out Eddie, as already said by a lot of ppl you are still left holding the baby, and you prefer not to have us make subscriptions, could we pay to use sales corner or is sponsorship an option? It seems your time is the problem, not money.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Some are born Philip.

Some achieve Philip.

Some have Philip thrust upon them.

Blog Entries
    Some are born Philip.

Some achieve Philip.

LOL!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    As others have said Eddie, great for us bad news for you, on a lighter note I bet Java is gutted!!!!!!!

mike

Master

Eddie
    A subscription model is generally a bad idea for forums that have free to use since inception. I'd have had no qualms about paying to be here, and there are plenty of others who'd feel the same I'm sure. But since nobody (least of all you) wants to go that route then why not look at other options?

If time is the issue, can't we/you choose a couple of longstanding forum I.T experts to help with the administrative burden? They needn't have 'admin' powers as such, just the ability to help out behind the scenes.

You're running a business and so hopefully have a return on your time! If we can't find volunteers then I'm sure a fundraiser to pay for their time could work? It would only take a small amount of regular donations I'm sure. Or simply enforce a small admin fee for those using SC.

Nothing I've written is new, and I'm sure you've thought through all of the options. But just to say that I know this forums members would bend over backwards to help you if you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    As others have said Eddie, great for us bad news for you, on a lighter note I bet Java is gutted!!!!!!!

mike
    He should be!

Some are born Philip.

Some achieve Philip.

Agrrrr

Last edited by VDG; 14th November 2015 at 19:06.

Master
    Selfishly I'm very happy you are 100% back in charge again Boss but like others upset about the ballache you've had to go through and the reason you were looking to sell in the first place is still there. I hope a solution is forthcoming between either finding a better partner (as in, for the forum I'm sure your wife is lovely!! ), members helping out here either admistratively or financially if the forum needs it or whatever. I'd happily pay a subscription or help out on the forum if it helped ease the "burden" it cuases

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank’s for the update.

R
    Exactly, as usual.

my personal experience with forums is that they go very well when they don't require any fees from the users.

after that, everybody reverts to facebook.

anyway, hope Eddie manages to eventually get the forum in good hands.

hey, is archieluxury still looking for a job?

.. as a waiter.

Banned
    You pop out to the shops..........

Jeez

Eddie, what’s done is done and all in all, I’m sure you’ll take in in your stride and proceed forward accordingly.

What I will openly offer, is free moderation of Sales Corner - Oh, hang on

No, seriously, happy to help out in the shadows if you want/need any. I’m no tech geek, but willing to learn, including travelling to you for training etc.

Keep well Eddie.

Craftsman
    Thank’s for the update.

R
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

mike
    Haha! I bet he is too!

Bitter man?

Not much... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Well said Ralph.

Chief this child of yours has spawned a big family, if you need help just ask the family.

Totally agreed, however given the disruptive comments and views expressed by some members of the "family", I feel it would not be unreasonable if you asked the membership to contribute to the upkeep and support of the site.

Personally I would be happy to make such a contribution.

Welcome back Eddie

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess the question is what precisely takes up the time on the forum? I doubt there are many who'd want to see moderators, but perhaps a couple of people to help with spam and the such like? Or even quite a lot of people? The forum has always been to some degree self policing and if there was a way that the irksome little tasks that take up time could be shared out, then that would leave more time for everything else.

Thanks Eddie. While I am selfishly delighted, I am sorry for any part I played in scaring off VS.

I have no intention of introducing subscriptions
    Well, I'll just buy a bunch of straps and a few watches then.

Well that was crazy 48 hours, pleased your still at the wheel Eddie. It's the best bit of news I've had during this dreadful weekend!

I'm not a frequent poster but I've been around here a long time and this forum has always been one of the first places on the Internet that I turn to for a read and I, selfishly, would have hated to see it change. However I fully understand your need for an exit strategy Eddie and for your sake, I'm very sorry that thing didn't work out as you were hoping. However, I do hope that you can find a way forward that both suits you and allows you the life that you and Carol want and need, and also allows this forum to maintain it's unique character.. I wish you all the best whatever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by henrik View Post
    Well, I'll just buy a bunch of straps and a few watches then.
    This is clearly the best way to help Eddie and show gratitude for this forum. I'm lining up my Christmas present from me to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    This is clearly the best way to help Eddie and show gratitude for this forum.
    Agreed. I'm also pleased that my enthusing over Timefactors products has led to a couple of new customers.