closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AT Master Co-axial 8500 time drift problem

Craftsman

AT Master Co-axial 8500 time drift problem

Hello all.

I bought the watch in December last year, from the local AD. Timing then was around +2 or +3 seconds per day. I expected that the co-ax calibre and the non-magnetic nature of the watch should help to to be less influenced by wind level (is it called amplitude?) and other factors that can influence a movement's time keeping.

Anyway, it has gone from +2, to +5 or 6, and now the time drift seems to be accelerating, having reached around +12 seconds per day. By now, I've no reason to believe that it's going to improve, so it looks like it'll have to go back to the dealer for adjustment.

Just wondering - with Omega's co-ax movements, would any timing issue usually be dealt with by the dealer or would it need to be returned to Omega? The dealership has its own watchmakers, though I know a lot of the time their answer is along the lines of "It's going to have to go back to Omega/Breitling/Rolex/Patek" (unfortunately, I've no experience of that last one :-(

Anyone else had a similar issue with an 8500 - how did it pan out?

thanks for any advice.

Frank

If its under warranty still it would probably go back to the nearest repair centre - prepare for it to take a month or so

My wifes quartz omega began losing time during the warranty period - came back in a month with a note that some work was done on the movement - no further details.

Warranty returns are usually much quicker than a standard servicing wait.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input guys - just received an email back from the AD and it's likely that it needs to be inspected by Omega. The fact that the fast-running rate isn't consistent makes it potentially more serious than just a timing adjustment, but I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Banned
    Don't worry, Omega will fix it. Please let us know everything is ok when you have your watch back.

Craftsman

Update after repair

After my original post, I held onto the watch for another month, wearing it almost daily to check the rate. The rate was off mostly by around +8 seconds per day, but at worst it was +10.

Since the rate had increased from about +2.5 last December I thought it really did need looking at, so the AD sent it off to Omega at the end of September.

Got it back last Wednesday - all the AD could tell me was that Omega had corrected the problem and had done a partial service. I emailed Omega directly. They got back next day saying that they have replaced the pallet fork.

Anyway, the result is that so far, the timing is averaging just over 1.6 seconds per day; it's still settling down with the rate improving even further, and it seems much more consistent at different wind levels. Total time away was just under a month.

Really pleased with the Omega service on this warranty repair!

Grand Master
    I`m puzzled as to why the rate changed quite significantly over a relatively short oeriod of time. I usually find that a watch has settled down after 1 week and doesn`t change much after that.

Co-axials are tricky to regulate, a special tool and a steady hand are required. However, I can`t see why the watch needs to go back to Omega, a repairer with a timegrapher and a detailed understanding of the movement should be able to assess it's performance.

Definitely worth pursuing this and getting it right IMO.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m puzzled as to why the rate changed quite significantly over a relatively short oeriod of time. I usually find that a watch has settled down after 1 week and doesn`t change much after that.

Co-axials are tricky to regulate, a special tool and a steady hand are required. However, I can`t see why the watch needs to go back to Omega, a repairer with a timegrapher and a detailed understanding of the movement should be able to assess it's performance.

Paul
    4 year Omega warranty on these so you are bound to send the watch to them unless you want to risk letting someone else having a bash at your own expense.

Omega could then say, if it breaks down again (the pallet fork was faulty in this case) they're not touching and your warranty is invalid because you didn't give them chance to rectify the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by mostly_lurking View Post
    After my original post, I held onto the watch for another month, wearing it almost daily to check the rate. The rate was off mostly by around +8 seconds per day, but at worst it was +10.

Since the rate had increased from about +2.5 last December I thought it really did need looking at, so the AD sent it off to Omega at the end of September.

Got it back last Wednesday - all the AD could tell me was that Omega had corrected the problem and had done a partial service. I emailed Omega directly. They got back next day saying that they have replaced the pallet fork.

Anyway, the result is that so far, the timing is averaging just over 1.6 seconds per day; it's still settling down with the rate improving even further, and it seems much more consistent at different wind levels. Total time away was just under a month.

Really pleased with the Omega service on this warranty repair!
    Glad they looked after you well. The Master Co Axial should be the zenith of the Omega movement range and a formidable, consistent timekeeper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    4 year Omega warranty on these so you are bound to send the watch to them unless you want to risk letting someone else having a bash at your own expense.

Omega could then say, if it breaks down again (the pallet fork was faulty in this case) they're not touching and your warranty is invalid because you didn't give them chance to rectify the fault.
    Exactly.

Great to hear the watch is now as it should be. My 8500/9300s were faultless and I miss them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    It is pretty standard practice in the service centres to replace the lever and coaxial wheel if any problems are found. I would put the drift down to oiling myself, as the Omega interpretation of the coaxial means it needs incredibly precise oiling with no room for error. If it is placed wrongly or the surfaces not treated properly before hand then the oil over time will move and leave the pallet faces.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
    It is pretty standard practice in the service centres to replace the lever and coaxial wheel if any problems are found. I would put the drift down to oiling myself, as the Omega interpretation of the coaxial means it needs incredibly precise oiling with no room for error. If it is placed wrongly or the surfaces not treated properly before hand then the oil over time will move and leave the pallet faces.
    Thanks for casting some light on things. This is one reason why I`m loathe to work on co-axials, although my own SMP will need servicing soon and I guess that'll be the time to bite the bullet. I`ve read the blurb about the oiling and spoken to guys who service them; I wouldn`t attempt it until I get myself a microscope.

I`m not surprised that Omega replace the lever and co-axial wheel, I can see scope for problems when these things get old and incur the degree of wear that wouldn`t significantly affect a normal escapement.

Paul

Yep a problem never found in Daniels coaxial, but Omega wanted higher amplitude and different materials for the parts.

Microscope is a must.