closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I'm in my thirties...

Master

I'm in my thirties...

...but is it just me, or do you get wayyyy over-excited when you have an incoming watch?? It's no different to when I was 29, I mean 5 and looking forward to xmas morning!!

Blog Entries
    A feeling you should try and keep all your life, some aspects of being a kid are very valuable imho.

Nothing better than getting excited about a new purchase, I even put it next to me on my bedside table when I go to sleep, so I can take a glance every now and then :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Feel exactly the same as you guys - I even "Lume" the watches at night - so I can glance as the glow - wife thinks I'm mad keeping a torch under the bed for this purpose!
    Last edited by Lotus Cowboy; 15th October 2015 at 10:49. Reason: spelling!

Master
    If you don't get that over excited feeling then you've probably bought the wrong watch, or maybe rationality has set in and its time to settle for a £10 Casio! Or possibly your mid life crisis is already over!

Ah, the thrill of the chase never leaves one I think?

It doesn't matter what it is really, either. Any new toy is an exciting time.
    I have recently ordered an Orient Mako USA (the white dial) and every morning the first thing I do is check the tracking notice.
    It has to be posted internally in the US first, as they don't ship internationally. I'm having it sent to a friend and he's going to post it on to me.
    Currently, it's in Landover, Maryland :)

The Mako USA must be one of the best value watches in the world, but I'm just as excited as I would be for a Rolex or a JLC.
    Can't wait!

You are not alone!
    Perhaps the excitement of Christmas dulls with age, but a new watch arrival.....hopefully that eager anticipation will stay with us forever!

I'm in my forties (JUST) and still feel like a kid at Christmas every single time :)

The day I don't is the day I find another interest or what is the point.

I will have you know that when I am to receive a new watch, I refresh the shipping company's website only 400 times per day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    I will have you know that when I am to receive a new watch, I refresh the shipping company's website only 400 times per day.
    Only 400? I like to have them think I am conducting a DDoS attack with the amount of refreshing!

Master
    Hahaha some great responses, thanks. I'm relieved to know I'm not alone Oh and Lewis, with what you buy, I'm not surprised you're always excited... some amazing pieces!!

The Mako interests me I must admit. Possible future purchase there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Phew - thought I was the only one who did that!

Master
    I guess if you are part of this forum, no matter your age, you'll always feel the same for an incoming watch. Otherwise, as previously said, what is the point?
    I went window shopping for a whole afternoon a couple of weeks ago in central London, and, although I didn't buy anything, I felt the buzz just handling some amazing pieces.
    I get exited just thinking about watches, forget wearing and buying them :-).
    And I'm in my early 30s.

Craftsman
    I'm the same. I took the whole day off work when I had my Panerai delivered...just so I admire it and because I was so excited! haha

Grand Master
    It's what I call the 'kid at Christmas' syndrome. It isn`t quite the same when you get older but it never completely disappears.

Personally, I can get more excited about restoring a watch for myself than going out and buying a new one. Still the same feeling but a lot more rewarding in my view, and a lot less costly. My aim over winter is to get all my own stuff into mint condition and I`ll get that 'kid at Christmas' feeling when each one's exactly how I want it.

I think it's a male thing; there's a part of us that remains a small boy and it's something women don`t understand.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think it's a male thing; there's a part of us that remains a small boy and it's something women don`t understand.

Paul
    Oh you sure got that right! I'm constantly told to grow up......

Yep, still get excited - plain old daft me (in my 50's).....

Good for you feeling like that. Long may it continue!

Apprentice
    It never leaves (nearly 43) I've had the sleepless excitement over cars and motorbikes I still get major excited on a Saturday when I know I'm going on my bike for a long early Sunday morning ride!
    I am driving 200 miles to pick up my first 'proper' watch tomorrow and I will probably hardly sleep. I remember the excitement I felt when I got my first Casio as an 8 year old. Never leaves you and I hope it never will...

I'm the same.
    Trouble is I've bugged all my local ADs so much I can't go in any more, even though I've brought plenty from them. I'm going to have to travel further afield

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I'm the same.
    Trouble is I've bugged all my local ADs so much I can't go in any more, even though I've brought plenty from them. I'm going to have to travel further afield

Andy
    I find that now the sales bods see my face in my local AD's they all come running 'here is that guy addicted to watches!' they enthusiastically show me all latest pieces and it has got to the point now where my other half wont let me near them (as we are in them for so long!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I'm the same.

Andy

Your not Andy Wright from Southwater are you?

Still get excited but never really received anything in the post. I tend to get really excited when I've picked my target and am off to buy it! Then I'm smitten for a while...

Master

I'm in my fifties...

Early 50s.

Hard to get excited about anything at this time in my life.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I'm in my forties (JUST) and still feel like a kid at Christmas every single time :)

Same here. Currently waiting on one and it takes too damn long...

I've had a dam good week, I haven't bought any watch for quite a few years now, there have been two watches on my want list for nearly 10yrs I always thought it a bit selfish to spend so much money on these two examples, well within the last week and a half I scratched the itch big time, I now own a Seiko SBDX 001 marinemaster (from Europe no duty) and as I type I have a speedy 3570.50 moon watch sat waiting for collection at my local post office, happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    ...but is it just me, or do you get wayyyy over-excited when you have an incoming watch?? It's no different to when I was 29, I mean 5 and looking forward to xmas morning!!
    To the most beautiful moment in life. Better than the deed, better than the memory. The moment... of anticipation!
    Jacques - The Simpsons

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    To the most beautiful moment in life. Better than the deed, better than the memory. The moment... of anticipation!
    Jacques - The Simpsons

I am 47 and still get excited about a new watch purchase.I am picking up a new car on Monday and cant wait.It actually gives me some thing to look forward to.As for Christmas I will think about that nearer the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    I am 47 and still get excited about a new watch purchase.I am picking up a new car on Monday and cant wait.It actually gives me some thing to look forward to.As for Christmas I will think about that nearer the time.
    Enjoy the new car. Once I'm past the salesperson process, I do eventually look forward to picking up a shiny new motor.

the above sounds all too familiar. on top of the over-excitement expecting the arrival, you further have to add the sensational feeling when you open the first mail from a seller you have contacted on a SC, the anxious feelings when you have wire transfered a large sum to a "complete" stranger 1000 of miles away, the triumphant feelings you have when you "beat the market" and harvest the fruits of your research and gets a watch below market price, the agony of bidding too low on ebay, the total humiliation of making a wrong purchase etc etc. All this we have to go through a couple of times each year :)

Craftsman
    At 49 I know I really should not be anticipating the return of my Omega AT from a service with a new bracelet quite so much but I can't wait until Monday. It's been dispatched...........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Cowboy View Post
    Feel exactly the same as you guys - I even "Lume" the watches at night - so I can glance as the glow - wife thinks I'm mad keeping a torch under the bed for this purpose!
    Haha! I do this too sometimes and even picked up a new torch to use for it. My wife just humours me. In terms of excitement, I picked up a cheapish G shock last weekend and was just as excited as my boys were when I gave them each an F-91W the week before :-)

Craftsman
    Yes, i feel the same. I have an incoming watch and i am excited! (28 years old, so young in TZ terms)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

Lol+1. And I suspect (hope), I'll still be getting the same feeling in my 50s, 60, 70s......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a new watch around December time and not opening it till xmas day, that real excitement, how long do you think I will last before temptation gets the better of me? Minutes, hours or days?