closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you like classic motorbikes?

Do you like classic motorbikes?

Might be worth a trip to Stafford on the 18th.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22727/

Master
    OH yes !

Good heads up .........Thanks

B

Craftsman
    Very nice, just forwarded to my old man who has been looking for an excuse to buy another bike for the last 15 years !

A few of my old bikes in that mix, I wish I still had them

Nice to see a Noddy Bike included

My uncle used to ride one of these on occasion when he worked in the Northumberland Constabulary in the early 60's

In the mid 70's I borrowed one for a week for my work commute. Slow but really nice to ride. You could still pick them up for next to nothing at the time

Craftsman
    I am hoping to drop in on the Sunday on my way back north, with a view to picking up some of the parts I need for the Matchless.

Master
    Was actually just uploading some photos of some of my dads collection on another forum.

My daughter playing on his Ariel Red Hunter

And of course his P&J

^^^^

A fine collection...I think that it might best be described as eclectic.

Amazing collection mowflow, beautiful machines there.....

Only got a couple of bikes (well one bike and one shed and buried scooter that needs recommissioning )

Last edited by lordloz; 7th October 2015 at 18:57.

Brough Superiors appear to fetch a bob or two these days..

Cheers,

Plug

mowflow, that is some collection your old man has

Master
    Some beauties there, I think, for the sake of my marriage, I had better steer clear

Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    I am hoping to drop in on the Sunday on my way back north, with a view to picking up some of the parts I need for the Matchless.
    Ah, how's it going, any news ?

@mowflow: That's quite a collection, lucky chap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    mowflow, that is some collection your old man has
    God yes. I'd buy a ticket to walk around that lot. Love the Morini.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    God yes. I'd buy a ticket to walk around that lot. Love the Morini.
    Another thumbs up on the Morini !

What a lucky man !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Some beauties there, I think, for the sake of my marriage, I had better steer clear

Ah, how's it going, any news ?

@mowflow: That's quite a collection, lucky chap!
    Progress, as anticipated, has been quite slow so far as my free time over the summer is taken up with cycle racing activities.

I have just finished stripping the engine, which is in better condition than I was anticipating. The head is perfect and the bores are fine, but the ring gap is right on the limit, so I am contimplating a re-bore. The piston is +20 thou, so plenty of scope. If I can find a new set of rings, I may see if I can get away with that, alternatively if I can find a NOS Hepolite +40 thou with rings, I will probably just get it rebored. In the meantime the cases, head, barrel etc will be going off to be vapour blasted and in the case of the outer cases, polished as soon as I can get some time off work to take them along to my local firm.

Here are a couple of pics during stripdown

Once back, re-assembly will commence, and I will take and post some better pics.

Alan

Master
    Progress, as anticipated, has been quite slow so far as my free time over the summer is taken up with cycle racing activities.

I have just finished stripping the engine, which is in better condition than I was anticipating. The head is perfect and the bores are fine, but the ring gap is right on the limit, so I am contimplating a re-bore. The piston is +20 thou, so plenty of scope. If I can find a new set of rings, I may see if I can get away with that, alternatively if I can find a NOS Hepolite +40 thou with rings, I will probably just get it rebored. In the meantime the cases, head, barrel etc will be going off to be vapour blasted and in the case of the outer cases, polished as soon as I can get some time off work to take them along to my local firm.

Once back, re-assembly will commence, and I will take and post some better pics.

Alan
    Great news it's progressing. I know all about slow progress, mine is three years this month and still ongoing! http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...0-rebuild-blog

I'm not a million miles from contemplating having a go at starting it though - things have progressed since my last update to that thread. Just need to finish the cooling system, add the exhausts, then the small matter of sorting out the wiring loom and connecting everything up. It will be with great trepidation I hook up a battery that's for sure!

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated :)

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Was actually just uploading some photos of some of my dads collection on another forum.

And of course his P&J
    OMG- I can not think of a finer way to travel from A to B than on a Vincent motorbike- wonderful!
    Has your father had the Vincent for a long time?

A guy I know had a mint Black Shadow parked up in his lounge since the late 1960's......it was like a piece of art-
    it came as no surprise he sold it last year- Vincent prices are now mega aren't they/

Craftsman
    A couple of nice vintage bikes there Mowflo, may I ask what the bike is in pic 7, an Evo sportster engine ? Thanks.

Alan
    I wish I could tackle the tigress myself like you have the matchless, need to get it running and think will have to go to a garage but scooter shops only want to touch Vespa/lambretta and Brit bike shops only want to touch Bonnies and gold stars etc....,

Craftsman
    A beautiful collection indeed.

I am also interested to hear what the bike is in picture 7, it is a stunner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    A beautiful collection indeed.

I am also interested to hear what the bike is in picture 7, it is a stunner!!
    Looks very much like a Harley motor to me, Don't know about the rest ??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    Possibly a Buell engined special, hand made tank etc?

Steve

Master
    nice to see the old bikes in the photo's,thanks for sharing them.,i still have the 1970 t120 bonneville i bought in 1977.i have been offered silly money for it on several occassions but cant quite bring myself to sell it although my old bones wont let me ride my old brits nowadays..still love the sound of an old british twin,nothing like it,cheers..greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Possibly a Buell engined special, hand made tank etc?

Steve
    I know that close only counts in horseshoes, but this one claims to be a Harley:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I know that close only counts in horseshoes, but this one claims to be a Harley:

That's a HD XL Sportster with an aftermarket tank and seat, rearsets and a few bolt ons, not that difficult to do really. I have old bikes, including a few Harleys, one of which I built from the ground up using a Norton Featherbed frame and Ironhead XL1000 engine. A proper café racer, did it all myself, from lacing the wheels to making the exhaust system..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    That's a HD XL Sportster with an aftermarket tank and seat, rearsets and a few bolt ons, not that difficult to do really. I have old bikes, including a few Harleys, one of which I built from the ground up using a Norton Featherbed frame and Ironhead XL1000 engine. A proper café racer, did it all myself, from lacing the wheels to making the exhaust system..

That is stunning. It might be "not too difficult" for you, but I think you are underplaying no your talents!! Where would I look to purchase a bike like that completed and what sort of money would it cost (feel free to pm if you would prefer).

Thanks

No Yamaha DT400 monoshocks for sale in that lot.. shame.

...Ironhead photo...
    Proper job that! Looks really good (more photos, please)...and very clean. I assume that the photo was taken soon after completion (unworn tyres, no number plate etc), and in an interesting location, what looks like a graveyard. Tell us a bit more, please.

And while you there...can you ID the motor in mowflow's post #7, please? This one:

That's what led to my 'close only counts...' post.

Craftsman
    The engine in the bike below is an Evo Sporster XL883 or XL1200. They are basically the same engine, the 883 version being a sleeved down 1200. Its a common conversion to take the cheaper 883 out to 1200cc using one of the many aftermarket kits,

You cant buy my bike off the shelf, you have to build one or get someone to build it for you. Krazy Horse Customs have build a similar Norley to mine but using an Evo engine for the Ace Café. I read they'll build one for you for something like £20,000. Which is about twice its true value I reckon. Or you could buy a standard Harley Sportster, they sell from around £2500 up to around £5000 secondhand, and convert it easily into something like the bike in the photo.. tank, seat, rear sets and pipe, should cost around £1000 to £1500. Or you go the whole hog and have a new frame commissioned as I did. The frame was made by a small workshop in Wales, called Norley.

No the photo wasn't in a graveyard, but a ring of standing stones near me. That was last summer, it was almost finished, I left the plate off as it looked better, I'm in the process of making a different alloy front mudguard at the moment. There is always room for improvement, this sort of bike is never really finished. Keeps me busy..

Here's a step by step video of the build, though obviously it cant go into all the hundreds of hours of work https://youtu.be/dn-VGHidxzs

There's also a video I took of my visit to the workshop where the frame was made.. https://youtu.be/NVT_yPK_4Pg

I've got a Guzzi project .. currently fitting a supercharger to that one, and a Ducati MHR I restored ..

Craftsman
    PS I see Jimnic007 lives in the same town as me, so if you want to chat about bikes, PM me..

^^^^

Thanks for the info and video links (why youtube.be?).

I hadn't heard of a Norleys before now. Norbsa, Triton, Norvin were around in my day...and I did wonder about where you'd find a featherbed frame these days. Looking up Norley frames brings up a firm in the USA so, for anyone that's interested, the firm in Wales is J W Motorcyles in Llandre.

Here's a step by step video of the build, though obviously it cant go into all the hundreds of hours of work https://youtu.be/dn-VGHidxzs
    Super job

Master

Wow. That is just fantastic :)

Craftsman
    PS I see Jimnic007 lives in the same town as me, so if you want to chat about bikes, PM me..
    I would be delighted to chat about bikes and take a closer look over your cafe racer. Which side of Warrington are you on?

Interested? Oh yes!

Just finished turning a rusty barn-find into this; stripped everything to bare metal, restored every nut and bolt, rebuilt the engine and gearbox, rebuilt the wheels, suspension and brakes, rewired it and it's now running lovely, just waiting the docs from DVLA so I can re-register it, hopefully on the original reg number.

Thoroughly enjoyable process, and with the exception of reboring the block, I did everything myself.

I will definitely be at Stafford

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    Interested? Oh yes!

Just finished turning a rusty barn-find into this; stripped everything to bare metal, restored every nut and bolt, rebuilt the engine and gearbox, rebuilt the wheels, suspension and brakes, rewired it and it's now running lovely, just waiting the docs from DVLA so I can re-register it, hopefully on the original reg number.

Thoroughly enjoyable process, and with the exception of reboring the block, I did everything myself.

I will definitely be at Stafford
    Let me guess you will visit one of the side halls and visit a certain "Bantam John",.
    Lovely bike, great job. Me too for Stafford

Is that a D14/4?

Craftsman
    My neighbour is into his Motorbikes and has one of these...

He says its 100 years old...no idea if he's telling porkies...Nice bike nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post
    My neighbour is into his Motorbikes and has one of these...

...image...

He says its 100 years old...no idea if he's telling porkies...Nice bike nonetheless!
    That's a make I'd never seen or even heard off. But the internet confirms that it is indeed 100 years old: link. I presume HAL stands for Holborn Autochange Ltd.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    I would be delighted to chat about bikes and take a closer look over your cafe racer. Which side of Warrington are you on?
    Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Is that a D14/4?
    Could well be. I remember mine fondly as my first real motorbike. It had the greatest variety of thread types I've ever seen on a bike. And once it startied backwards. I thought the timing had slipped as it sounded rough...but when I let out the clutch...

My first too. My not so fond memory is that the stator plate was made out of what was apparently plasticine, so the screw holding the points stripped about once a week. I spent more time kneeling down by it on the side of the road than ever I did on the seat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Could well be. I remember mine fondly as my first real motorbike. It had the greatest variety of thread types I've ever seen on a bike. And once it startied backwards. I thought the timing had slipped as it sounded rough...but when I let out the clutch...
    I had a D10 when I was 14 or so, mine went backwards once too! As Simon says, almost impossible to get things tight enough to stop the timing resetting itself due to the vibration.

Craftsman
    Hi all, new to forum and was wondering how on earth I'd make the 50 posts to see the for sale section. Luckily I can talk about motorbikes 'till the cows come home. I go to Stafford every year but probably due to my age now go the the one in April which is more Brit bikes to the one this month which is more Japanese.
    I've got 6 bikes at the moment, in no particular order Yamaha FJ1200, Yamaha TTR 250 (x2), Triton, Yamaha RD350LC and Kawasaki MC1-B.
    Looking to buy a early Triumph Speed Twin or a Triumph Bonnie/TR6 at some point in the near future. I've also got 1st dibs on a Kawasaki Triple if it ever comes up for sale.

Craftsman
    Also the Dalek avatar was not my choice but it can stay until I find my 350lc avatar pic.

Craftsman
    Here's the Triton in it's 1st build state. It's apart again now getting powdercoated then hopefully soon getting built back up.