closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Between 2 opposite watches ? Help

Craftsman

Between 2 opposite watches ? Help

So I'm stuck!
    I'm trying to narrow down all the "wants" in my head to get to what could be my next watch, I think I'm getting somewhere but now it's two watches completely opposite beasts.. I want them both  but obviously can't!i don't normally like to ask as watches are a personal choice but what would you do and why?
    I've got a superocean and an avenger 2 already so onto the choices

Navitimer 46mm b01 inhouse display back
    Classic iconic

Panarai 560 inhouse display back...

Different to anything else and so simple...

Choice = Panerai
    Why = I prefer it. Time only. Clean design. 8day movement.
    Gray

Master
    Nice problem to have. Both watches are lovely and very different. If it were me I'd go for the Pam. I love the simplicity of it and I think it's a more unique looking watch (due to the crown guard).

Look forward to seeing pictures whichever one you choose

I'd choose the Pam for the same reasons as the above have mentioned.

Although I admire the Navi for what it is, far too much going in my head to tell the time on that face! Saying that could sell the Superocean then buy both?!

Craftsman
    Id love a Pam but to me its the Navi. As you said its a classic

Craftsman
    Pam all day long

Panerai

If it was the 42mm Breitling Montbrilliant it would be a different issue but at 46mm having tried the watch it just looks way OTT. The Panerai on the other hand looks the part.

Personal choice like you say, for me the Navi 100% regardless of the of the other Breitlings in your collection. Good luck with the choice and let us know how you get on!
    Jon

Craftsman
    Given not many post about pams there is a bit of love here ! I expected most to say the navi! I must admit I just love the simple pam but having tried the navi a few times I just keep looking back at it.

Craftsman
    Navitimer

Master
    Neither for me, but if forced, the Panerai; the Breitling just has too much going on, there's no subtlety about it.

Out of those two models I'd definitely get the Panerai. Was close to getting the 560 a couple of weeks ago, but went for the 512 instead.

Think if I was going to go for a Navitimer I'd go vintage.

Banned
    The Navitimer, as long as you have a big wrist. I don't really see the point of the Pam.

PAM all day long. The Navi hurts my eyes yet the PAM is classically, simply, stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I don't really see the point of the Pam.
    What, other than to tell the time? And tell it in a simple, classis and uncluttered way. The Navi is, for me, an abomination. It has lots of functions that 99% of people will never use, those functions make the whole thing vastly cluttered, it's too big and too blingy.

Why not buy the PAM and then, if he still wants the Navi look, spend £50 on a Rotary Chavitimer from Argos. Job done.

Just my opinion of course.

Journeyman
    No problem for me: Panerai.
    (With my old eyes, I would need to take a magnifying glass each time I would use the Navi chrono... the older I get, the more I appreciate clean legible dials. And this 560 offers a nice complication as a bonus.)

560. I just prefer cleaner dials to busy ones, and you can't get much cleaner than that (or busier than the breitling!)
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Navitimer
    The Navitimer, as long as you have a big wrist. I don't really see the point of the Pam.
    I'm biased, I think Pam's are over rated, and the crown guard looks naff.

Well, this is unusual - a Panerai facing a more unwieldy watch.

Im going to agree with the comment about avoiding the navitimer unless you have huge forearms.
    If forced Id go for the Panerai but, personally, I cant see the point of the display back - its not a particularly attractive movement and a glass back detracts from the spirit of functionality that the brand kind of represents (and, yes, Im aware panerai are just as fragile as any other mechanical watch, and its all just image, branding and marketing - before anyone chirps in!).

Grand Master
    It's a great design but there's nothing particularly classic about a Navitimer that's oversized that much for no reason at all. The 43mm version is better, and the version that came before that, at about 41.5mm and was that size for nearly 30 years, is better still.

However, for nodding acceptance, you really need a watch you aren't looking for at all - Sub, Speedy Pro or G-Shock ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I would usually say go for the Navitimer but at 46mm it's pointlessly large. The 43mm version of the watch, although still too big for my personal tastes, at least gives a nod to what has come before and made it an icon.

The PAM is at least supposed to be a very large and legible watch, it's completely fit for purpose.
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 11th July 2015 at 10:04.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    it's completely fit for purpose.
    If you happen to be legally blind.

Craftsman
    Some excellent opinions, reason for the 46mm navi is I do have large wrists and forearms, I tried the smaller version 43mm and like many others including the seadweller which I do also like! Just look too small for me in my opinion it's a odd thing watch sizes who would think 3mm would make a diff lol..

Journeyman
    You've already got 2 Breitlings, go for the PAM.

The PAM is such a classy looking watch, perfect for any occasion, dressed up or just nipping to the shop for a paper.

I'd choose the PAM, Navitimer just too busy for me

Get rid of the Breitlings you already have. Then you can have both Navitimer and Panerai

gs

Between the two, I'd go for the Breitling.

But if you find yourself reading the comments and kind of half hoping people suggest one over the other, then you already know which one you want - best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Get rid of the Breitlings you already have. Then you can have both Navitimer and Panerai

gs
    This is the perfect solution.

A Navitimer is the only Breitling one should consider owning, dispose of anything else.

If you happen to be legally blind.
    Why do you even bother to post, troll?

I would usually say go for the Navitimer but at 46mm it's pointlessly large. The 43mm version of the watch, although still too big for my personal tastes, at least gives a nod to what has come before and made it an icon.

The PAM is at least supposed to be a very large and legible watch, it's completely fit for purpose.
    I have to agree with Mr Yeti on this TBH they are both sized for fashion, so I withdraw my earlier comment, a vintage Navitimer would be my choice.

Master
    Far too many cheap Navitimer "lookalikes" on the market - right down to a pretty credible Rotary at 50 quid! And one day someone IS going to ask you what all those scales are for and you're not going to know (or care, unless you have the Cessna parked outside).

For those reasons I would have to say Panerai, and I'm not even keen on PAMs - but in this case it's the one to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    a vintage Navitimer would be my choice.
    Although doesn't even have to be a very old one - the 90s / 00s watches were very lovely, especially the Montbrillant versions. They were huge and bling in their day but now seem very normally sized :)

Generic ETA movements of course, but Brieitling specified COSC stuff and they last forever. For a LOT less cash...

Although doesn't even have to be a very old one - the 90s / 00s watches were very lovely, especially the Montbrillant versions. They were huge and bling in their day but now seem very normally sized :)

Generic ETA movements of course, but Brieitling specified COSC stuff and they last forever. For a LOT less cash...
    I think I've just added one to zee list.

Apprentice
    In my experience owning a couple of Pam's of similar standing. I sold my Navi to fund a 312......wish I hadn't!

Master
    I'd got for the Navi for sure.

There's little to choose between these two apart from the aesthetics, which as you say, is a personal choice.

Well, one's a chronograph so perhaps this could be a deciding factor. How fussy are you about your boiled eggs?

If the size isn't an issue for you then I'd go for the Navi. As much as I prefer the simpler 2-3 hand Panerais over their others the Navi wins for me for its history and classic looks. Who cares if you never use the slide rule, plenty of people don't use chronos and so on on other watches.

Craftsman
    Navitimer. An absolute classic IMO. Panerais leave me completely cold.

Journeyman
    They are both good choices but Panerai gets my vote on this one. I am sure you will enjoy either of them!