closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Visiting Stanley, Falkland Islands. Any recommendations for my free time?

Visiting Stanley, Falkland Islands. Any recommendations for my free time?

I'll be heading over to Stanley at the end of next week with work, my first visit. I'll be staying for a week and will have a day off (Sunday). I am sure that some of the well travelled members here will have visited, I'm looking for tips to make the most of my free time and get a bit of an insight into the islands. Recommendations of places to eat and drink will also be gratefully accepted.
    Thanks, Matthew

Master
    Stanley is one of the greatest places in the world. it is certainly the most British place i have ever been!!

i didnt do much socially over there apart from drink in the pubs,( the globe is particularly entertaining) and dispose of bombs so cant be too much help other than to say you are sure to have an entertaining time.

Master
    PM kultschar - he lives there.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/member.php?4921-kultschar

I haven't been but envy you, go and enjoy.

Craftsman
    Wasn't much to see in Stanley when I was there, a few memorials and pubs. Plant to see if you can get transport ,do a search

Penguins, minefields, a few good pubs, stunning scenery, get yourself booked on a Battlefield tour with an official guide. If you like wildlife, a helicopter ride to Sealion Island is an eye opener. If you can get up to Mount Kent you'll be able to access Tumbledown and 'SAS Point' as well as other places with familiar names. I have not been for a few years but did six tours down here. Stanley is twinned with Whitby but the last time I was there, some wag had covered the 'Whitby' part of the sign with 'Royston Vasey'.

Craftsman
    I went there a few years ago on exercise with the TA - it was an amazing experience.

We were lucky to have a battlefield tour up to 2 Sisters with a regular NCO who was there at the time, which was very atmospheric and moving as there was still the detritus of battle strewn around the sites we visited. Lots of history in those hills.

The terrain is pretty rough, and we really got a feel for how difficult the assault was in that area.

There is plenty to do and see in Stanley, including some of the iconic places already mentioned.

Thanks for the replies and information so far, very much appreciated. I'll do some research and make a few contacts based on the advice. I'm really looking forward to the trip (and a proper pint or three, and fish and chips!)

Ive been diving down there 3 times and love the place. The globe is about the best place for a pint/bottle. Not much in the way of restaurants. I stayed on the military base at Mount Pleasant. Just get a 4x4 and get out and explore,but be careful as the roads arent great.Lots of wildlife,the beaches are stunning so pick the right one and you should see penguins.Head towards the big iron sailing ship beached in the bay just outside Stanley, some nice beaches and views down that way. Don't forget a camera and enjoy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    Penguins, minefields, a few good pubs, stunning scenery, get yourself booked on a Battlefield tour with an official guide. If you like wildlife, a helicopter ride to Sealion Island is an eye opener. If you can get up to Mount Kent you'll be able to access Tumbledown and 'SAS Point' as well as other places with familiar names. I have not been for a few years but did six tours down here. Stanley is twinned with Whitby but the last time I was there, some wag had covered the 'Whitby' part of the sign with 'Royston Vasey'.
    This sums things up nicely, not sure how much time you have but you really need to get out and about.

As for Stanley eating and drinking etc the main restaurant is the Malvina House Hotel (though pricey) and the other is a small (tiny in fact) restaurant which is part of a guesthouse called the Waterfront (ran by a Chilean) which is similar quality but in a more cosy setting. Despite Stanley growing and all the oil stuff going on etc there is still bugger all choice dining wise and places closing down - it's bizarre!

Pub wise you have the famous Globe but I prefer the victory bar which is more like a UK bar, however they are a few hundred metres apart along with Deanos (this trio are the main places to go for a drink) so you simply go around all of them

If you only have one day off you could prob still hike up Tumbledown, do Surf Bay (beach), Gypsy Cove (poss penguins), visit the new museum and ramble around the sights of Stanley (Govenment House, memorials etc)

Journeyman
    I worked there for a year and a half in the 80s . So it'll be a bit more developed now :)

The globe used to be the pub to drink in at Stanley.

If u have time to hire a FIGAS twin otter for a day to take u round the various islands and wildlife /
    penguin colonies ( such as sea lion island and various other places ... Is really worthwhile... The planes can take about 8 PAX IIRC. Amazing day out .

If u like hiking ... Go up mt wickham overlooking the mt pleasant airbase , or head west to mt usborne.

San Carlos also worth a visit if u have time - as is volunteer point in the far north east.

Lafonia and north arm are a bit dull.

Enjoy your visit - it's a rather magical place :)

Quote Originally Posted by alfaman View Post
    If u have time to hire a FIGAS twin otter for a day to take u round the various islands and wildlife
    And one of the finest aircraft in the world - you'd have lots of fun

Master
    Blog Entries
    FIGAS operate Islander aircrafts

Sealion Island is great but believe your talking a few hundred quid minimum to go and stay there

Thanks again all, and in particular to kultschar for the very detailed response below. Although I'll only have one full day off, I will have part of two Saturdays (arriving/departing via Chile), and possibly some of Friday if work goes well. I'll bring my walking gear and a decent camera and probably explore on foot on this occasion. Fresh air, a cool climate and quiet surroundings will be something of a treat.

Hopefully this is just the first of several visits over the next few years, and I'm hoping to be able to bring the family with me during a summer trip at some point. I imagine that will be when we venture further afield, the FIGAS trips sound wonderful.

Once again, I really appreciate the pointers. Matthew

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    FIGAS operate Islander aircrafts

Sealion Island is great but believe your talking a few hundred quid minimum to go and stay there
    Yep - I'd forgotten ... They are B.N Islanders not twin otters.

We paid for 3.5 flying hours - which took us to about 4 or 5 destinations - spent an hour or so at each. Was amazing. Cost in 1985(!) was 200 pounds per hour - I guess now more like 500+? We had 8 on board if I recall correctly. The best spot we went to was Carcass island off the north coast. Plus several other places.

So may cost about 200+ each today ? Would be well worth it

A quick note of thanks for the great tips. Despite changeable and chilly weather I had a very enjoyable time, hiked out to Gypsy Cove, visited the excellent new museum, enjoyed a beer or three in the Victory Bar and had some good meals in the Malvina Hotel. I was fortunate to be invited to visit Goose Green for the annual memorial service, and I met some great people.

The rugged scenery and fresh air was a real treat and something the family will really appreciate, so we have just booked a two week holiday for January 2016 with the intention of flying to some of the outlying islands with FIGAS.

Cheers, Matthew

Craftsman
    Great photos, thanks for sharing them

Blog Entries
    Great pictures and certainly an original choice for a family holiday... Should be an adventure! Beats Magaluf anyway!!!

We are feeling quite excited now as our plans have come together during the past few days and now we have all of the excursions and accommodation booked. After a week based in Stanley, enjoying the pace of life and heading for day trips to places like Volunteer Point and Surf Bay, we will fly with FIGAS to Pebble Island for a few days and then to Sealion Island for a couple more. I'm really looking forward to the BN Islander aircraft flights.

It will be the peak of the wildlife season, as well as the middle of summer, so there will be nice long days to make the most of.

Thanks again for the earlier tips which have assisted us in choosing the itinerary.

Cheers, Matthew

Master
    Blog Entries

Nice pic of Albert

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Nice pic of Albert
    Thanks! That was taken at the Goose Green memorial service on 29 May, it was followed by a great reception in the community hall. Here are a few more photographs taken that day.

Excellent thread, thanks for the news and the views.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Excellent thread, thanks for the news and the views.
    Thank you, it's nice to hear that it is of interest.

An obligatory watch photograph.

What great pictures, I remember a young lad up the road where we used to live going to the Falklands soon after passing out, I was too young to join then but 4 yrs later I signed up, have a great time.