closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drunken, stupid, overweight, lecherous, tattooed and sunburnt

Drunken, stupid, overweight, lecherous, tattooed and sunburnt

Out-bloody-rageous : I dont have a tattoo..

As the anniversary of the beginning of First World War approaches, and the talk throughout Europe is of peace and reconciliation, one might have thought that traditional Anglo-German rivalries would be, temporarily, at least, laid to rest.

Sadly not. The German newspaper Bild has published a scathing portrayal of the British holidaymaker of such stunning rudeness that it’s tantamount to an act of war. In it, the innocent Brit is shown as drunken, stupid, overweight, lecherous, tattooed and sunburnt.

The piece was prompted by a report that British holidaymakers in Majorca had been complaining about developing a mysterious cough after drinking cheap vodka. The Rushkinoff cough is named after a brand that sells in supermarkets for as little as €3 a litre.

Bild declares that it is not surprised that the British have given a new illness to the world: they are, it says, guilty of a long list of holiday crimes.

The paper’s analysis was illustrated by a cartoon of a middle-aged, balding, paunchy, sunburnt figure clutching a pint and wearing the skimpiest of posing pouches, accompanied by a topless young woman waving a bottle of vodka and sporting a pair of bunny ears.

The list of British holiday ailments identified by Bild include “Prince Harry syndrome”, which it describes as the pathological need to take one’s clothes off in public at every opportunity.

Other afflictions include “teenage bimbo syndrome” (symptoms include wearing bunny ears) and a nasty skin disease that Bild calls “Anglo-Saxon outbreak”, and which can be identified by blue-green markings on the skin, or tattoos, as they are commonly known.

More serious ailments include “wandering-hand disease” (after three pints, the hand can usually be found alighting on the nearest breast), and a nasty business called “toasting arm”, a syndrome not unlike tennis elbow but caused by lifting too many pints for toasts.

While the Bild article may yet provoke a British tabloid retaliation — it is quite possible that someone may mention sunloungers — Germans in Britain were left perplexed as to why Bild should launch such an act of naked aggression.

Dr Christian Schweiger of Durham University, a commentator on Anglo-German relations, said this attack of cultural stereotyping could be a reflection of the current state of the European Union and the disagreement between Angela Merkel and David Cameron over the appointment of Jean-Claude Juncker as president of the European Commission.

“We do tend to slag each other off more than we did in the past,” he said.
    Actually I did check out Bild's website - highly entertaining all-round really!

Craftsman
    I have to say, they've got a lot of Brits on the piss down perfectly. We normally avoid anywhere we might bump into them, only to be surrounded by drunken OAPs in Kefalonia - SAGAlouts I believe they're known as.

Anyway, as these sort of things are traditional, here's a suitable picture:

Oddly enough, the caricature of the fella looks like my buddy in Barnsley.....just say'n

Come on.

It's not accurate nor fair to suggest that all Brits abroad are drunken, stupid, overweight, lecherous, tattooed and sunburnt.

Many are belligerent, obnoxious and crass as well.

Blog Entries
    Looks like an entirely accurate portrayal of your average English Mallorcaite to me...

When did the Germans get a sense of humour?
    Last edited by Wolfie; 31st July 2014 at 19:06.

Not many British Women look like that picture. As for the man, pretty accurate ( and very similar to Russians and Germans)
    Last edited by Andyg; 31st July 2014 at 18:59.

It's for this reason I normally pick hotels which are full of Germans or other Europeans - they mind their own business and nobody is being sick in the pool.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's for this reason I normally pick hotels which are full of Germans or other Europeans - they mind their own business and nobody is being sick in the pool.
    Except for you when you see the middle aged German crowd all playing nude games along the pool. Vomit inducing right there.

if your tits can't stay up by themselves you have no business releasing them on the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Try to find French hotels - excellent and the food is better.

Master
    Definitely Andy. However the Germans are not blameless, the German areas in Spanish resorts are full of endless bad eateries selling curry wurst. I wouldn't mind if the bloody stuff actually bared in relation to curry, its just tomato sauce with curry powder in it, bloody awful crap. Some of the nicest fried fish I have had is in Spain and of course the paella and the tapas, love it but Germans just want to eat curry wurst endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Looks like an entirely accurate portrayal of your average English Mallorcaite to me...

When did the Germans get a sense of humour?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^Nothing to add to this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Definitely Andy. However the Germans are not blameless, the German areas in Spanish resorts are full of endless bad eateries selling curry wurst. I wouldn't mind if the bloody stuff actually bared in relation to curry, its just tomato sauce with curry powder in it, bloody awful crap. Some of the nicest fried fish I have had is in Spain and of course the paella and the tapas, love it but Germans just want to eat curry wurst endlessly.
    True. I eat Currywurst three times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not many British Women look like that picture. As for the man, pretty accurate ( and very similar to Russians and Germans)
    But the Russian girls do look like that in the picture (generally) - as indeed do their men.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

This is a great sketch! The subject in question really starts at around 2m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2LaJOVAiA

Alas this is true - I am now told by my wife (who originates from overseas) that we can only holiday in places where the flight originates from Heathrow. Gatwick at a push but if flights from Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow are scheduled then forget it.....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Alas this is true - I am now told by my wife (who originates from overseas) that we can only holiday in places where the flight originates from Heathrow. Gatwick at a push but if flights from Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow are scheduled then forget it.....
    This ^ plus any all inclusive (oink oink!) hot spots or any places in easy reach of the upstanding members of the society OINK!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Come on.

It's not accurate nor fair to suggest that all Brits abroad are drunken, stupid, overweight, lecherous, tattooed and sunburnt.

Many are belligerent, obnoxious and crass as well.
    Indeed.

Not so long ago we would have put them in khaki, given them a gun and shipped them off somewhere hot to maintain an empire on which the sun never set.

Sounds like a case or empire-envy to me. Perhaps we should invite the Germans to take part in the next Commonwealth games. Better still, we could extend the invitation to every country we've ever invaded.

Or is that the Olympics?

;-)

Blog Entries
    Well, he's got a nice bird. No way she could be British, surely...

And oddly enough he looks like a caricature German to me.

'Tis funny all the same though.

It's odd they mention the tatoos and drinking. My wife is German and just about all of her friends have some form of 'ink' and drinking....Jesus, the Germans have that nailed. In fairness, the Germans hold their drink better, but sheer volume consumed has to go to the Germans.

Chris

Well if it makes it less likely that I'd be bumping into a henpecked husband and his generalising bint, then I'm all for that too.

Master
    Chaps

I am retired and I live for 5 month each year in Spain .

The Spanish youth who have traditionally always been well behaved are now copying the British lager lout thing and are being arrested in droves for drunken behaviour.

The Local Mayor has just brought in a new rule - you can be arrested at the discretion of the local police for drinking (anything) in the street.

In practice this will apply to small groups of people drinking cheap booze out of cans.

Five noisy young men were arrested and fined 500 euros last month for drinking water on the beach and have lodged an appeal.

It will be interesting to hear the result.

Regards

Mick

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Imo it is a case of seeing what you expect to see and then experiencing it as confirmation of your preconceived idea.

Over here in the village square one can instantly recognise the too red burnt tattoo displaying bare chested beer downers as english tourists. There are however more english sitting there too, being annoyed more than anyone else by their fellow country folk, easily outnumbering the crash stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Well if it makes it less likely that I'd be bumping into a henpecked husband and his generalising bint, then I'm all for that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Imo it is a case of seeing what you expect to see and then experiencing it as confirmation of your preconceived idea.

Over here in the village square one can instantly recognise the too red burnt tattoo displaying bare chested beer downers as english tourists. There are however more english sitting there too, being annoyed more than anyone else by their fellow country folk, easily outnumbering the crash stereotype.
    Indeed (twice).

Craftsman
    I find it hard to argue with that article.

Let's close this thread, it has been confirmed: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ulgarians.html

Last edited by Raffe; 1st August 2014 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Seems like irony isn't your forte which is surprising from a City fan.....

Craftsman
    Brits on holiday can be awful, and Germans on holiday are really bad as well. But having been to Germany a fair few times, I really do like them as a people. They have a lot more in common with us than lazy tabloids would have you believe IMO.

Journeyman
    It is true unfortunatley, have to pay abit more to not be in the same hotel as them! A

I’ll take German tourists over Russian ones every time.

We seem to share far more social mores with the former than the latter.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Why do people men think it is acceptable to go into any establishment (bar, restaurant, shop etc.) bare chested. Call me a Victorian but it's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Why do people men think it is acceptable to go into any establishment (bar, restaurant, shop etc.) bare chested. Call me a Victorian but it's just wrong.
    Victorian!

Journeyman
    unfortunately Brits are the most uneducated and ugly people in Europe.
    Wrong on both accounts there. The standard of British education is quite good, and Brits are nowhere near as ugly as the Germans.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    Wrong on both accounts there. The standard of British education is quite good, and Brits are nowhere near as ugly as the Germans.

Mate, as your new I will help out!, you are quoting a known troll, so please check his history for yourself then don't feed it, as it will then post more.

Cheers

Mike

Master
    Brits are nowhere near as ugly as the Germans.
    nor the Russians. There were right ugly bastards in my hotel in Egypt.

Rob

Journeyman
    Mate, as your new I will help out!, you are quoting a known troll, so please check his history for yourself then don't feed it, as it will then post more.
    Apologies. I shall cease feeding the thing immediately.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Apologies. I shall cease feeding the thing immediately.
    No apologies necessary at all.

Mike

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I agree yet it seems to be very much a brits on holiday thing.
    Even here in the interior in a mountain village the mentioned (minority!) faction is instantly identified since they are the only ones.

Craftsman
    Unfortunately with Manchester being my airport of choice our paths will never cross. Such a shame as she sounds a real hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Unfortunately with Manchester being my airport of choice our paths will never cross. Such a shame as she sounds a real hoot.
    I was being ironic in my post, please don't take it seriously :)

Craftsman
    I was being ironic in my post, please don't take it seriously :)
    That'll teach me not to jump right in!

Please accept my apologies to both you and the missus :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    That'll teach me not to jump right in!

Please accept my apologies to both you and the missus :-)
    My fault entirely as reading the post it isn't clear. I was trying to play on the fact that we had posts on the forum/op lumping all brits into one category and I was applying the same to northerners. But clearly I'm no writer :)
    Last edited by ryanb741; 1st August 2014 at 21:47.

Craftsman
    My fault entirely as reading the post it isn't clear. I was trying to play on the fact that we had posts on the forum/op lumping all brits into one category and I was applying the same to northerners. But clearly I'm no writer :)
    No probs.

Bild ? - It hardly appears to be the choice of German intellectuals does it?

Such people make for easy targets - far easier than addressing the forces driving declining standards of social behaviour.

Sorry, don't seem to be able to embed a Facebook video, but here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152583489987340

I have just watched on tv, moving testimony from WW1 veterans recounting their experiences from The Battle of The Somme. Their achievements and dignity across all ranks leave me feeling quite lacking. These heroes came from all classes of ordinary people - the same as our cartoon character. Exactly 100 years later this mocking stereotype gets published - well it might be understandable but should we too laugh along? I don't think so - right now it feels disrespectful. Any idea of National Pride has to start somewhere.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 4th August 2014 at 05:36.

A great picture from Bild.... except the man should be covered in tattoos, and his girlfriend must be German. Brit women in Magaluf don't look like that, they are usually twice the size of their man - and also have tattoos.

Banned
    oh for crying out loud - what's with all this po faced taking ourselves so terribly seriously, pc nonsense on here? Very un-British.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    oh for crying out loud - what's with all this po faced taking ourselves so terribly seriously, pc nonsense on here? Very un-British.
    OK, so the Bild cartoon is just intended to cheer up its readers.
    Of course we recognise the character and I'm as ready as the next man to laugh at ourselves - but that isn't the case here.

Maybe its time we did take ourselves more seriously.

I do hope not.

That cartoon is pretty kind on us in my view. The bloke would be fatter with more tat's, and his 'lady' would be equally inked, infinitely fatter and with a face like a robbers dog. A lot of brits abroad are an embarrassment and the only suitable response to embarrasment is to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    OK, so the Bild cartoon is just intended to cheer up its readers.
    Of course we recognise the character and I'm as ready as the next man to laugh at ourselves - but that isn't the case here.

Maybe its time we did take ourselves more seriously.
    For Christ's sake - loosen up!