closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 8267

Thread: What do you drive?

For the three days a year it doesn't rain...I built this with my Dad, it took about 3 years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    For the three days a year it doesn't rain...I built this with my Dad, it took about 3 years.

Stunning car, how long does it take to build something like that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Stunning car, how long does it take to build something like that?
    Amazing, didn't realise you could do these as kits?!

Craftsman
    About 3 years I'd say!

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    About 3 years I'd say!
    Haha good guess!

They are available in kit form from a number of different manufacturers. If you worked on it solidly and had all of the parts available and are reasonably competent I think it could be done in a couple of months. We did it over holiday periods and that sort of thing as and when we could. We also didn't want to rush it!

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Amazing, didn't realise you could do these as kits?!
    What planet have you been living on?

About 99% of all Cobras you see on the road are kit cars and probably at least 50% of all kit cars are Cobras!

That doesn't in any way detract from the fact that they are probably the best looking car ever built and yours is a stunner in that colour OP!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

About 99% of all Cobras you see on the road are kit cars and probably at least 50% of all kit cars are Cobras!

That doesn't in any way detract from the fact that they are probably the best looking car ever built and yours is a stunner in that colour OP!
    +1

That's the colour combination I'd go for.

Master

I just thought they were all replicas and what not, pre-built by small regional companies!

I would love to do this one day!

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    I just thought they were all replicas and what not, pre-built by small regional companies!

I would love to do this one day!
    It's a great thing to do and a big sense of achievement at the end of it so I'd definitely recommend it!

Thanks for the comments on the colour too, I had a slight argument with my Dad about racing stripes - I wanted them, he didn't - but I think he was right in the end.

Always listen to your dad!

Rule number one. And totally ignored by all children of whatever age!

Always listen to your dad!

Rule number one. And totally ignored by all children of whatever age!
    Haha exactly! We had a fair few 'moments' during the build, it felt a bit like Orange County Choppers at a few points but we got there in the end.

That is stunning, where are the stripes though ? 😳

Master
    My new toy...

Haha exactly! We had a fair few 'moments' during the build, it felt a bit like Orange County Choppers at a few points but we got there in the end.
    What engine did you use, It has to be V8 and preferably a proper one not a Rover LOL. It's the law!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My new toy...

Lovely car, not seen in one this colour before. My dad had a 5 litre Griff new in Macau yellow in the '90s followed by. A 420 SEAC. I had a 450 Chimaera a few years ago too, miss the noise of the sleeved exhaust.

The 325 Ci Sport and gone and a M Benz E350 cdi AMG Convertible has now arrived.

And very impressed I am with it to. The V6 seems smoother than the BM's straight 6, its also faster and has more torks. The equipment levels in the Merc are also better. Electric everything (including rear headrests), A voice Command system that actually works, automatic lights (including dip), Radar Cruise Control, air scarf system - the list just goes on and on.

Yes, I know its a bit of hairdressers car, however driving it with the hood down, it more like a old American Muscle Car, with a great engine, gear box and suspension.

Roll on summer

Just in case my manhood is question I still have my very hairy arsed Porsche 911 964 C2.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

My new toy...

Thats a rare sight - a TVR with its bonnet open

Nice car - when its running.
    Last edited by Andyg; 17th June 2014 at 13:55.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Thats a rare sight - a TVR with its bonnet open

Nice car - when its running.
    I'd trust this over the crappy 3 series I had a few years back any day of the week....:)

I've had several TVR's over the years, and apart from servicing never had any significant problem with them. Provided the car is maintained they are not unreliable. The Rover/Buick based V8 engines are fundamentally very robust, although the straight sixes need to be approached with caution. Conversely, the highest service/maintenance cost I ever had was on a 911.

I'm still toying with what I would like next, an Audi RS5 or TTRS is quite high on the list at the moment. Might go back to a Jag XKR. Very tempted by an Aston Martin Vantage, but generally find two seats too restrictive... or if I did decide to live with two seats for a bit, maybe an R8 would be a better choice...
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 17th June 2014 at 14:46.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The 325 Ci Sport and gone and a M Benz E350 cdi AMG Convertible has now arrived.

And very impressed I am with it to. The V6 seems smoother than the BM's straight 6, its also faster and has more torks. The equipment levels in the Merc are also better. Electric everything (including rear headrests), A voice Command system that actually works, automatic lights (including dip), Radar Cruise Control, air scarf system - the list just goes on and on.

Yes, I know its a bit of hairdressers car, however driving it with the hood down, it more like a old American Muscle Car, with a great engine, gear box and suspension.

Roll on summer

Just in case my manhood is question I still have my very hairy arsed Porsche 911 964 C2.
    Lovely Andy.

Avantgarde or Sport?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I've had several TVR's over the years, and apart from servicing never had any significant problem with them. Provided the car is maintained they are not unreliable. The Rover/Buick based V8 engines are fundamentally very robust...
    Mine is powered by a 6 ltr, Chevy LS 3 unit....it gets along quite nicely..:-)

Master
    Enoch, I believe every TVR has the name of the main guy who built the engine engraved onto the engine block - can you find yours?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Enoch, I believe every TVR has the name of the main guy who built the engine engraved onto the engine block - can you find yours?
    I doubt it mate..... The engine was built in a Chevy factory somewhere in the USA....haha

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Perhaps you are thinking of Aston Martin. The trick was (don't know for today), when ordering your replacement, to ask for the same chap to build the engine who did your previous car.

Nice Enoch, I did wonder when seeing your number plate.

I'd like an LS engined Cerb, the 4.5 was great but a little fragile

My father in law bought a '64 AC Cobra recently which he wants me to use whenever I like. A terrible chore! It's an FIA car with a 302 (instead of its original 289, which is a shame originality wise, but I won't be complaining) and quad Webers. We need to make it a bit more road friendly as it's still in full race spec, although it is road legal already. I've driven AC Aces before, but never a Cobra, so I am very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    What engine did you use, It has to be V8 and preferably a proper one not a Rover LOL. It's the law!
    Haha we didn't use a proper one unfortunately! It's a 3.5 litre V8 from a Range Rover, with a TVR gearbox. We rebuilt the engine entirely and fitted high lift cams and various street performance parts, including a big carburettor so it sounds quite good! There's very little by way of sound deadening and the exhausts flow quite freely, when it was tested mid-range the sound was just over 100 decibels at each exhaust pipe. The last time we had it tested the engine was producing around 150 bhp at the wheels which isn’t bad given the car weighs about 850 kilograms.

I think you're right that American V8 makes sense and is probably a more natural fit but we liked the Rover for ease of parts and working on, and the fact it's aluminium so very light. Technically the Rover V8 started out as a Buick block as far as I’m aware does have a tenuous link with the US!

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    My father in law bought a '64 AC Cobra recently which he wants me to use whenever I like. A terrible chore! It's an FIA car with a 302 (instead of its original 289, which is a shame originality wise, but I won't be complaining) and quad Webers. We need to make it a bit more road friendly as it's still in full race spec, although it is road legal already. I've driven AC Aces before, but never a Cobra, so I am very excited.
    Very cool! You'll have to post some photos once you see it.

One of my favourite AC Cobra stories is that when he was giving test drives, Carroll Shelby would put a $100 bill on the dash board and tell the passenger that if they could grab it when he was accelerating they could keep it. Not surprisingly no one was up to it!

Cobra

I used to see a genuine AC Cobra race at Wiscombe ? hill clime in Devon.
    I remember it was red and had a COB number plate stuck on the bonnet. He had a rack on the back carrying 4 race wheels and tyres.

He would drive to the event. Change his wheels, race up the hill usually winning his class, then change the wheels back and drive home. A brave and skilled man I always thought.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    This at the moment, however not for long at 8mpg :(

Still planning to buy the same. Any problems with this ? What is that 530d ?

Quote Originally Posted by JakubL View Post
    Still planning to buy the same. Any problems with this ? What is that 530d ?
    Given the poster is saying 8mpg I would be fairly certain that is an M5.

Is consumption really that bad? Blimey.

I had an S-Type R years ago, and that did 15mpg no matter how you drove it. Seems positively frugal by comparison.
    So clever my foot fell off.

sorry, just figuring out how to post flickr images...

I give up for the moment, flickr is playing me up and perhaps its not the best place to host photos destined for a forum?
    Last edited by catch21; 18th June 2014 at 11:14.

Haha we didn't use a proper one unfortunately! It's a 3.5 litre V8 from a Range Rover, with a TVR gearbox. We rebuilt the engine entirely and fitted high lift cams and various street performance parts, including a big carburettor so it sounds quite good! There's very little by way of sound deadening and the exhausts flow quite freely, when it was tested mid-range the sound was just over 100 decibels at each exhaust pipe. The last time we had it tested the engine was producing around 150 bhp at the wheels which isn’t bad given the car weighs about 850 kilograms.

I think you're right that American V8 makes sense and is probably a more natural fit but we liked the Rover for ease of parts and working on, and the fact it's aluminium so very light. Technically the Rover V8 started out as a Buick block as far as I’m aware does have a tenuous link with the US!
    LOL it sounds as though you have made the best of a bad job then! Really only joking , Nothing much wrong with the Rover ( as you say Buick ) but it's just the chevies are one of the best engines ever built in my opinion,And so many bits it's untrue you can basically do what you want given the budget, And they don't break easilly, Only probs I remember with the Rover were ---- did not like dirty oil one bit, Result cams that ended up round and lifters tapping,Lol,And was that the engine with the central V cover/manifold that leaked a bit . but generally a. Sound motor and you seem to have thought it through, Though sometimes I think it can be a bad idea to push some engines too far IE when going from say 3.5 as far as 4.2 it can bring reliability problems, The old Triumph 2000 engine was brilliant but when pushed to 2500 became a poor engine, But I do love a V8 and most are so quick they can't really be thrashed for long periods, You do have a stunning car there, Love the color , Unsure on stripes ??? Maybe a subtle silver and only about a foot wide for each one .?? Only kiddin.
    Last edited by fishman307; 18th June 2014 at 16:37.

Almost ditto

[QUOTE=catflem;1246586]The beater is a V40, and I'll rot in hell before I take a picture of the munter.

My wife just got rid of her 1996 V40 and I had a cream-coloured Scimitar in the 70s. Loved it but always carried a fire extinguisher!!
    Most of my watches are from the late 60's and 70's, which match the toys. The eagle eyed will note that ones a 5, and the others a 5A, and to those that couldn't give a monkeys, they're Reliant Scimitars

[/QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Given the poster is saying 8mpg I would be fairly certain that is an M5.

Is consumption really that bad? Blimey.

I had an S-Type R years ago, and that did 15mpg no matter how you drove it. Seems positively frugal by comparison.
    My best friend had an M6 with the V10, he drove it everyday over about 20,000 miles and returned circa 17mpg with a mixture of town and motorway driving.

We get an average of 21mpg from the C63 and 25mpg on a motorway run

Drive the memsab nuts!

Drive the memsab nuts with the noise from this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    My best friend had an M6 with the V10, he drove it everyday over about 20,000 miles and returned circa 17mpg with a mixture of town and motorway driving.

We get an average of 21mpg from the C63 and 25mpg on a motorway run
    That's good for the C63. I averaged 17.4 before the 911 took its place and which now returns 24 for urban (or 14 with Sports + engaged - which it most often is) .

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    That's good for the C63. I averaged 17.4 before the 911 took its place and which now returns 24 for urban (or 14 with Sports + engaged - which it most often is) .
    It's my other half's daily driver so she doesn't tend to thrash it, average 1,000 miles a month as she uses my company car when I work from home

Master
    Picked this up today.

Master
    I doubt it mate..... The engine was built in a Chevy factory somewhere in the USA....haha
    I think the Speed 6 engines have a plate though as that was TVR in house (and needs rebuilding after about 20k miles....)

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I think the Speed 6 engines have a plate though as that was TVR in house (and needs rebuilding after about 20k miles....)
    the Speed 6 engines did indeed have a plate so that you know who to blame...... From someone who had three S6 engines...... 2 of them in 11 days !

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Picked this up today.
    That's beautiful. One day. One day i will own one!!

This arrived a couple of days ago, 330d:

To go with this, Z4MC:

Blog Entries

Mine was ready for collection this week - pure joy !!

Last edited by ingenioren; 21st June 2014 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    BMW
    I'm at the other end of the scale with an F20 118d Sport, but as a BM fan, I absolutely love that!

Been using the Elan a lot this week...

Last edited by adigra; 19th October 2014 at 14:44. Reason: Dead link.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post

They're a great looking car the new 6 series, I just wish BMW would stop sticking "M" badges on non "M" cars

This one finally made it home yesterday, sold on a while back but now she is home again :-)

Little bit of work needed to make her roadworthy and then I have my shopping trolley back!

Master
    You boys have too much Money :-)
    Mondeo mk2 estate 2.5v6, year 2000 w-reg' 30 mpg (mixed) 142,000 on the clock, valued at circa £400
    This is what you want!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    They're a great looking car the new 6 series, I just wish BMW would stop sticking "M" badges on non "M" cars
    This is something they started doing as from the 2014 model year cars...
    It is NOT an M6 Gran Coupe, but the M-sport version....