closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leather Strap Shortening.......any recommendation

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.

Leather Strap Shortening.......any recommendation

Sorry guys, rarely visit this section of the Forum, so please forgive my ignorance. I have already posted this in Watch Talk, but thought maybe a 2 prong'd attack might be good. Anyway....
    I have recently taken a lovely strap in on a trade. Its a Steinhart Strap, brand new and un-used, 22mm straight cut and 5mm thick pilot type and has an edge coat finish on the sides. Thing is its far too long for my 7.25 inch wrist. I need about 40mm taken off the length and some more holes put in it, and the edge coat re-doing on the cut end. Can anyone recommend someone ?

I can't help, but I'd be interested in the answer too - I've a few straps that could do with some alterations but I'd always thought I had to just live with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    Sorry guys, rarely visit this section of the Forum, so please forgive my ignorance. I have already posted this in Watch Talk, but thought maybe a 2 prong'd attack might be good. Anyway....
    I have recently taken a lovely strap in on a trade. Its a Steinhart Strap, brand new and un-used, 22mm straight cut and 5mm thick pilot type and has an edge coat finish on the sides. Thing is its far too long for my 7.25 inch wrist. I need about 40mm taken off the length and some more holes put in it, and the edge coat re-doing on the cut end. Can anyone recommend someone ?
    A pic would be nice to see what can or can't be done.

Regards

Martin

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnielse View Post
    A pic would be nice to see what can or can't be done.

Regards

Martin
    Yes of course.....

Shown next to the orginal which adjusts just about small enough for my wrist, as you can see the length of the non holed side is longer too, however I suspect shortening the holed side would be easier ?......but then again ? I am not worried about the steel keeper bar or the single end rivet if that make any difference, I do infact prefer the stitch design of the black strap.

This is where it come to at present

This is where I'd like it to finish if possible, about 40mm shorter

Info pictures

Can anyone help.......I accept that the stitching may have to be re-done and may end up being thicker.
    Last edited by BryanEbru1512; 20th November 2013 at 10:01.

What if you shortened it at the lug / bar end?

I.e. undo the screws, remove them and chop a bit off, then re-fold, new holes for the screw rivets and job done.

???

Banned
    sorry pal but shortening of this stap would simply destroy it...

Shortening strap

Quote Originally Posted by jankoxxx View Post
    sorry pal but shortening of this stap would simply destroy it...
    Why? If the stitching was un-picked back to the desired length and then the strap shortened why would this destroy the strap? It also may have to be re stitched if enough length of spare stitch can't be achieved.

Admittedly it may be cheaper to have a new one made along the same style but equally it could be shortened! Or even buy another at a shorter length!

Banned
    the stitching would need to be redone on the whole strap piece, there is no way anybody is going to reseal the edges on shortened piece so that it doesnt look crap...
    the shorter piece would be even more difficult to adjust. all in all i would just sell it and get a shorter strap if i was you.