closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lange 1815 Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    While it's not my style of watch, the craftsmanship is undeniable. That movement is a work of art.
    On a side note, Glashutte, what does it mean? I ask because I can see it on the dial of this watch, but I thought it was a different brand. Dare I ask, is the Lange to Glashutte, what Lexus is to Toyota? (Please don't flame me, I'm learning :-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim: View Post
    Glashütte is a town in Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge, Free State of Saxony, Germany, which was the birthplace of the German watchmaking industry.

The below is a picture which I have taken out of the premises of Nomos, another Glashütte-based watch manufacturer. It shows the headquarter of A. Lange (to the right) and Glashütte Original (left). Within a 2 minute walking distance you have also Moritz Grossmann and Tutima.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    While it's not my style of watch, the craftsmanship is undeniable. That movement is a work of art.
    On a side note, Glashutte, what does it mean? I ask because I can see it on the dial of this watch, but I thought it was a different brand. Dare I ask, is the Lange to Glashutte, what Lexus is to Toyota? (Please don't flame me, I'm learning :-) )
    The origins of the A. Lange & Söhne watch making company go back to 1830 when at the age of 15 Ferdinand A. Lange was accepted as an apprentice by Joahann Friedrich Gutkaes one of the foremost watch and clockmakers in Saxony. [Hence the 1815 range honouring Lange’s date of birth]

After completing his apprenticeship Lange travelled through France, England and Switzerland picking up ideas and making detailed notes of complex watch movements.

In 1845 he established his first production workshop for pocket watches in the village of Glashütte. He chose this area because he wanted to draw on the skills and craftsmanship of the metalworking community who had lost their livelihoods when the mining industry in the region declined.

Ferdinand Lange died in 1875 and the business was continued by his son Richard who inter alia discovered the rate-improving characteristics of an alloy with an admixture of beryllium which is used to this day for high end watch springs.

In 1948 the watch making manufacturing was nationalised and the name A Lange & Söhne disappeared from the dials.

On the 7 December 1990 following the fall of the Berlin Wall Walter Lange reregistered the A Lange & Söhne brand and started production in Glashütte.

Lange make relatively small numbers of watches and worldwide the annual output is around 8,000 pieces.

The watch/car analogy is a contentious area full of danger. However, as far as I am aware GO and ALS are entirely separate companies and therefore the Toyota Lexus comparison is not correct. Quite which car manufacturer Lange is analogous to is best left to others to debate.
    Last edited by lowndes; 2nd October 2013 at 20:26.

Lange belongs to Richemont (with Vacheron Constantin, Cartier, IWC, Jaeger LeCoultre and Panerai), while Glashütte Original is part of the Swatch Group (with Blancpain, Omega, Longines, Tissot and Breguet).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    The watch/car analogy is a contentious area full of danger. However, as far as I am aware GO and ALS are entirely separate companies and therefore the Toyota Lexus comparison is not correct. Quite which car manufacturer Lange is analogous to is best left to others to debate.
    You made an error in understanding what Jay was asking – GO isn't involved.
    He was asking if the town name on the dial was an offshoot of Lange – like Lexus is a division within Toyota, was Glashutte similarly related to A. Lange & Sohne.

@jaytip – Glashutte is a branding, in the same way as "Swiss Made" is on Rolex/Omega/etc, and relates similarly. Of those manufacturers who reside in the town, in order for them to print Glashutte on the dial of their watches, a certain percentage of the manufacturing must be done in the town, not just assembling a bunch of parts made from elsewhere in the world.
    There was a case a while back, where GO took Muhle Glashutte to court over this, and it almost saw the end of the last independent watch manufacturer in the town. Thankfully, they survived and still remain an independent, producing some cracking watches for very reasonable money.

Craftsman
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed that there are some threads that you revisit. Not so much to read the fresh posts, but simply so that you can look again at the lovely lovely timepiece in the OP.

This is just most certainly one of those threads. I look at the OP whenever I need to put a smile on my face, and it just doesn't get any worse for seeing it for the nteenth time.

Thank you for posting sir. I am again smiling :)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I can't stop reading this lol! Pics are great I want it!!

Craftsman
    This thread is just great all round - amazing watch and good info about Glashutte. Muhle aren't the only independent let though, there is also Nomos.

Very very very nice, thanks for sharing!

Did you consider the new 1815 Up Down or the 1st Generation 1815 Chrono?
    What made you choose this version?

Craftsman
    About the only watch from Richemont I'd own. Stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chye View Post
    Very very very nice, thanks for sharing!

Did you consider the new 1815 Up Down or the 1st Generation 1815 Chrono?
    What made you choose this version?
    I was looking for a chronograph and initially was drawn toward the Datograph; certainly it is better known, and there are plenty about to choose from. However on closer inspection I found the proportions made it feel too top heavy on the wrist, and the dial is too complex for my taste.

The 1815 chronograph is based on the same L951 movement as the Datograph but the watch is smaller and more discreet. The main hurdle to buying one was there are not too many about and most are the earlier 401 series. These have only 36hour PR and a more complex dial which, as with the Datograph, is not to my personal taste.

As for the 1815 Up/Down, it is not a chronograph and therefore did not really feature as an option for me.

Master
    Op - lovely looking watch. Very nice.

I've been fortunate to try on a couple of Langes and I really do love them.

I real 'grail' for me though....in the sense I suspect I will never own one. Unless I cash in my others and go the 'one watch (+gshock/beater)' route.

Amazing...my dream..

Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    I was looking for a chronograph and initially was drawn toward the Datograph; certainly it is better known, and there are plenty about to choose from. However on closer inspection I found the proportions made it feel too top heavy on the wrist, and the dial is too complex for my taste.

The 1815 chronograph is based on the same L951 movement as the Datograph but the watch is smaller and more discreet. The main hurdle to buying one was there are not too many about and most are the earlier 401 series. These have only 36hour PR and a more complex dial which, as with the Datograph, is not to my personal taste.

As for the 1815 Up/Down, it is not a chronograph and therefore did not really feature as an option for me.
    Thanks! I am inspired to work hard for my 402.026!

Chye

Quote Originally Posted by puffy View Post
    About the only watch from Richemont I'd own. Stunning.
    Seriously?? You not interested in >anything< from Jaeger-LeCoultre, Vacheron Constantin or any of the other brands Richemont own..?

OP, fabulous piece, I had a similar choice recently and went with the JLC Duometre chrono. No regrets and one day I hope to add a Datograph to that.

Journeyman
    Coming late to this but absolutely stunning. The level of detail in this is breathtaking, as it his with all Lange watches.

Master
    Astonishing level of attention to detail. I would have to get a LOT richer story attain one though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dogs danglers is what it is,pure and simple.
    Last edited by hilly10; 27th October 2014 at 21:27.

Truly a beautiful piece.

And of course the detail in movement is "Out of this World"

Congratulations to the OP.

Master
    What a wonderful watch, well done

that movement is a thing of beauty

Master
    Oh man......DROOL......congrats on the purchase WHAT A WATCH

The rose gold contrasts with the blue hands very well. An excellent purchase!

My close relative says 'hello'

Journeyman
    Oh my… that's a beauty

Simply gorgeous...

Craftsman
    Really nice!

Congrats!

Beautiful and elegant. Totally stunning.

I wish people would stop bumping this thread! First saw this a year ago and I've wanted one badly every since. Being reminded isn't helping.

Wow - great choice and super pics!

Apprentice
    I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that a Lange chronograph is one of mankinds most beautiful creations. Well done on your purchase!

Master
    Blog Entries
    perfect in every aspect...

Congrats.

Journeyman
    Absolutely beautiful!

Master
    Magnificent. That is all.

Banned
    Brilliant watch, and amazing pictures. Thank you for sharing.