closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from a dealer in Italy - advice sought

Craftsman

Buying from a dealer in Italy - advice sought

Hi all, just after some advice. I am considering buying a JLC from a dealer in Italy through Chrono24. It's a less popular model so not easily available secondhand in the UK, although it's still in current production. I know that Chrono24 as a platform doesn't offer any buyer protection so wanted to check with you all on the precautions to take.

So far I have thought of
    - check the physical address of the shop on Google Maps - its not an internet only outfit
    - ask them for a photo of the watch set to a particular time
    - ask them to email me a photo of the registration number on the watch and on the paperwork so that I know it matches up
    - not transfer any money until I have received a sales receipt from them

Other than trust my instinct when I talk to them directly (they say they speak English), what else do you advise?

Thanks all
    Edward

Craftsman
    Best thing would be to travel there... A £100 EasyJet return ticket (and nice week end in Italy) would be the best insurance...

Master
    +1 agree with above

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    +1 agree with above
    +1 Go there in person. My hair dresser is Italian and I trust him with Scissors but wouldn't trust any of them with watches

Craftsman
    Thanks for advice so far - will definitely look at that option. Any other ideas if I am not able to travel there?

Craftsman
    Can you tell the name of the dealer and witch city as many on here have done exactly what the last few posts have suggested including myself.

Cheers
    Tony

Craftsman
    I just purchased an LE speedmaster from an AD in the US. Agree with the below, however recommend purchasing with Credit Card as some have excellent cover. Call up your company and tell them exactly what you are doing.

My Amex card was awful (BA one and not one with a colour of any 'significance' ). Gave 30 days v poor cover.

My Halifax card was amazing - 90 days cover, any issue with watch could be discovered in that period - mechanical, authenticity, 'creative' description an full refund.

I had to buy the watch 6 weeks in advance of seeing it because of the demand - this cover gave me confidence to do it. If you don't travel there and they won't allow cc - then beware.

Cant speak to this specific dealer, watch or sale price , but anything that looks to good to be true normally is ! Good luck!

I've twice purchased from an Italian AD. Apart from the Google maps thing I took no other precautions and all was fine. I paid upfront with Visa.

I've bought direct from an Italian AD, BUT on the recommendation of others who had used them.

Maybe if you name the dealer someone may come forward who has done business with them.

Definitely fly there, wear it on the way back and save the import duties

Quote Originally Posted by Jase0851 View Post
    No import duties from Italy......
    Cheers..
    Jase

I have bought from Italian dealers before, found on chrono24. As long as my research revealed that the seller was a real bricks-and-mortar shop with a clean sheet I was satisfied and ordered online. So far so good. I haven't been let down.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase0851 View Post

Its Italy, not Mongolia .

Journeyman
    Isn't the big problem with dealing with Italy that the Italian postal office is like a big black hole?

In my mind, one of the key precautions would be that they would be using insured courier like FedEx or DHL.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrikb View Post
    Isn't the big problem with dealing with Italy that the Italian postal office is like a big black hole?

In my mind, one of the key precautions would be that they would be using insured courier like FedEx or DHL.
    I think the problem is mainly when posting to Italy... Packages go missing a lot. But packages coming out of Italy much less so.

Well: then use Fedex.

I have bought from an Italien AD just once. Everything went fine and the package arrived very quickly with no problems.

It was a bricks and morter place though not just an internet dealer.

Mitch

I've found the dealers I've contacted abroad on Chrono24 always want a wire transfer and won't take credit cards, I wish they would publish in their info on Chrono24 what payments types they will accept

Craftsman
    Thanks for your advice, everyone. The dealer is called Carlo Cantelli and is in Sassuolo, just outside Modena.It doesn't seem to have a website but seems to be an established bricks and mortar shop that does jewellery as well as watches and has 6 watches for sale. Has anyone come across them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I've twice purchased from an Italian AD. Apart from the Google maps thing I took no other precautions and all was fine. I paid upfront with Visa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    I've bought direct from an Italian AD, BUT on the recommendation of others who had used them.
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I have bought from Italian dealers before, found on chrono24. As long as my research revealed that the seller was a real bricks-and-mortar shop with a clean sheet I was satisfied and ordered online. So far so good. I haven't been let down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I have bought from an Italien AD just once. Everything went fine and the package arrived very quickly with no problems.

It was a bricks and morter place though not just an internet dealer.
    Perhaps it would be helpful if everyo who has ordered successfully (or unsuccessfully for that matter!) from Italian dealers could name them? :-)

In addition, there was a previous thread on Italian dealers with some successfully used onesmentioned and I've mislaid it now. Anyone got the link?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th August 2013 at 16:04. Reason: Additional

Bought off an italian dealer earlier this year that I found through Chrono24. They did have a web site and I did my usual trick of hitting them with loads of questions, even requesting a new set of pictures as some of the published ones were a little unclear. Passed all the tests, got better pics and excellent responses in clear english. Shipping was expensive due to insurance, we used UPS which was fully tracked and less than 24hours door-to-door from Bologna to my place. The watch arrived in good shape and was exactly as described, though I have to say it was a very nerve-racking 24 hours.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I've found the dealers I've contacted abroad on Chrono24 always want a wire transfer and won't take credit cards, I wish they would publish in their info on Chrono24 what payments types they will accept
    Why do you think that is? I was all set to buy a watch from the EU and the seller wouldn't deducted VAT (when the watch is being shipped to the USA) or take a credit card. It didn't really feel like they wanted to make a sale to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I was all set to buy a watch from the EU and the seller wouldn't deducted VAT (when the watch is being shipped to the USA)
    That's not good. I would not have bought on those terms if I was outside the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    or take a credit card.
    This doesn't surprise me so much. The percentage fee for accepting credit cards is comparativbely high and, perhaps more significantly, there is a very much non-zero fraud risk in accepting credit cards, so wire transfer makes much more sense from the vendor's perspective (even though it understandably worries the buyer).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This doesn't surprise me so much. The percentage fee for accepting credit cards is comparativbely high and, perhaps more significantly, there is a very much non-zero fraud risk in accepting credit cards, so wire transfer makes much more sense from the vendor's perspective (even though it understandably worries the buyer).
    The risk of fraud is problematic, and seems like a reasonable issue. However, when paying retail prices (MSRP) the CC fees really shouldn't be the consumer's problem. In any case, located in Italy + no VAT return + no CC payment = no sale to me at any price!

Blog Entries
    I was always under the impression that it is risky to send thing to Italy,rather than receiving them..?