closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tried on a new DSSD today.

Blog Entries

Tried on a new DSSD today.

Well I was in Lakeside today and Goldsmiths had a DS Sea Dweller in the window (sign of the times and the list price north of £8,100 I guess). Anyway thought I'd actually try it on to see if I 'got it'. Watch head is lovely and not as high sitting as I expected and the bracelet is leaps and bounds ahead of the older style that I had on Sub's, but - the taper seems really pronounced given the heft of the watch head. It looks to be really very narrow at the clasp. I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I'll say it anyway, I was fortunate enough to get a Glashutte Original Evo sport chrono recently and to be honest the Rolex was nowhere near it in quality and finish and the bracelet wasnt even close. I know the Dweller would still be working underwater long after the GO died but 100m water resistance is fine for me. The flip side of this though is now I know I don't want a DSSD I still like the look of the new white dial Explorer 2's and the taper is less of a worry given its a smaller watch.
    Just my thoughts though.
    James

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    The flip side of this though is now I know I don't want a DSSD I still like the look of the new white dial Explorer 2's and the taper is less of a worry given its a smaller watch.
    Do check, though. Both DSSD and new Explorer II (or "Exploder II" as one wag put it, in reference to the expanded case) have 21mm lugs and 17-18mm bracelets at the clasp. Although the Explorer is much thinner, of course, and won't overwhelm the bracelet.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I'll flame you for it ;)

I bought a GO Evo Chrono in St Lucia last year - I was wearing my DSSD at the time. it's a nice watch but in reality not that close to the finish of the DSSD. I ended up leaving the watch back at the dealers, as they had lost the guarantee papers and promised to drop these to my hotel, which they thought they'd get away with not doing, they didn't!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Beautiful watch the DSSD but I just could not get away with one, like you the bracelet also irked me.

Blog Entries
    Same here, totally agree with your views.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'll flame you for it ;)

I bought a GO Evo Chrono in St Lucia last year - I was wearing my DSSD at the time. it's a nice watch but in reality not that close to the finish of the DSSD. I ended up leaving the watch back at the dealers, as they had lost the guarantee papers and promised to drop these to my hotel, which they thought they'd get away with not doing, they didn't!
    Different views are what makes this price great and thanks for the flaming :-).
    Shame you are just wrong though :-) (only joking) these posts are always subjective just some people always take them personally.
    I am drawn to the Exp 2 as the narrow clasp is less of an issue with he smaller watch. Never been a big Rolex fan but their fit and finish seems to have improved dramatically over the last few years or so. I suspect my next biggie will be a new Explorer 2 white dial though.

James

Craftsman
    Well I was in Lakeside today and Goldsmiths had a DS Sea Dweller in the window (sign of the times and the list price north of £8,100 I guess). Anyway thought I'd actually try it on to see if I 'got it'. Watch head is lovely and not as high sitting as I expected and the bracelet is leaps and bounds ahead of the older style that I had on Sub's, but - the taper seems really pronounced given the heft of the watch head. It looks to be really very narrow at the clasp. I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I'll say it anyway, I was fortunate enough to get a Glashutte Original Evo sport chrono recently and to be honest the Rolex was nowhere near it in quality and finish and the bracelet wasnt even close. I know the Dweller would still be working underwater long after the GO died but 100m water resistance is fine for me. The flip side of this though is now I know I don't want a DSSD I still like the look of the new white dial Explorer 2's and the taper is less of a worry given its a smaller watch.
    Just my thoughts though.
    James
    that was my main gripe with the DSSD. The size and weight of the case were fine by me, but the taper made the bracelet look inadequate [IMHO] The plus side being that the glidelock on the DSSD is far better than the glidelock on the Sub-C [again IMHO]

I agree the size / bracelet wont be to everyones taste but surely you cant be questioning the quality and finish? I've had them all, and am always always impressed with the quality when i put this puppy on. If there is one thing the DSSD is, its a very well made watch.

I'm on my third DSSD, love the watch and in my opinion the bracelet is superb, never understood the negative obsession about the bracelet taper from some.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I'm on my third DSSD, love the watch and in my opinion the bracelet is superb, never understood the negative obsession about the bracelet taper from some.
    Mine fits like a glove and the adjustment makes it easy to ring the changes. I think they're just too manly for some!

Re: I think they're just too manly for some!

I think you hit it on the nail!
    I can understand that reading about the taper on the bracelet can make one apprehensive but IRL, I dont think it is an issue at all. Bracelet, IMO is just about perfect the way it is.
    For me, this is one of the best dive watches out there and definitely in my top five. Find it extremely comfortable and satisfying to wear.

Grand Master
    Bracelet taper is an observation by the fingerers rather than the owners in reality it fits fine and is not an issue
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

I can understand that reading about the taper on the bracelet can make one apprehensive but IRL, I dont think it is an issue at all. Bracelet, IMO is just about perfect the way it is.
    For me, this is one of the best dive watches out there and definitely in my top five. Find it extremely comfortable and satisfying to wear.
    I love mine, yes it's chunky but the taper isn't really an issue IMO when it's on the wrist. More so when you dangle it by the bracelet, as such never been a problem for me...

- - - Updated - - -

I love mine, yes it's chunky but the taper isn't really an issue IMO when it's on the wrist. More so when you dangle it by the bracelet, as such never been a problem for me...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Different views are what makes this price great and thanks for the flaming :-).
    Shame you are just wrong though :-) (only joking) these posts are always subjective just some people always take them personally.
    I am drawn to the Exp 2 as the narrow clasp is less of an issue with he smaller watch. Never been a big Rolex fan but their fit and finish seems to have improved dramatically over the last few years or so. I suspect my next biggie will be a new Explorer 2 white dial though.

James
    :)

I think the DSSD is one of the best finished watches I have ever handled, along with the Omega PP1200 - they are far better finished to me than watches far more expensive - the fact you can see the inner workings on the GO adds a little to it as well - it's a great watch.

The 42mm EXPII is one of my favourite watches - I wish I had kept mine.

Older Rolex are very well made - the newer ones look a little better, but the bracelets have moved on completely.

The tapered bracelet of the DSSD always comes up - but sized correctly this is much more comfortable than a wider bracelet.

forget the bracelet rubbers the way forward :)

Master
    I think the SDDS is the best Rolex out there. The most advanced and finally one with the right size for me. I actually like the tapering on the bracelet, it makes the watch a little bit more decent... If the bracelet had been wider, it would have been a massive watch. The tapering is actually less than a Royal Oak Offshore.

Here's a pic of my precious

Hey Bazza where did you get the rubber from? certainly looks good on the DSSD.

It looks like a Rubber B.

Quote Originally Posted by shabbah View Post
    Hey Bazza where did you get the rubber from? certainly looks good on the DSSD.
    Yep its a Rubber B cant see myself going back to the bracelet for some time now

Grand Master
    It is just perfect on the Rubber B, theres a part of me that wishes they offered it as standard and a grand cheaper on Rubber
    RIAC