closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Moderation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    He can here.
    Have you noticed the ones who keep hinting at my departure are the ones who need keeping the closest eye on...

Only quoted the above member as it was the last post, obviously nothing to do with him needing moderation

Oh and rumour is Eddie is currently organising a referendum for Bear Pit moderator. The running is between just me and HoneyFB, as the other candidates have now been banned

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Have you noticed the ones who keep hinting at my departure are the ones who need keeping the closest eye on...

Only quoted the above member as it was the last post, obviously nothing to do with him needing moderation

Oh and rumour is Eddie is currently organising a referendum for Bear Pit moderator. The running is between just me and HoneyFB, as the other candidates have now been banned
    There will be fewer members who need moderating when it opens again.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Right move in closing down the bear pit as it was becoming more like a cess pool and showed that self moderation only exists to a point. If it is reopened maybe we could get a few grownups from Mumsnet to oversee the terrible twos mentality that runs through it. Star charts for those who resist using the c word, lessons in playing nicely and sharing, and the naughty step for bullying and swearing. If we have a choice I would like to be mentored by VivaLeBeaver from Mumsnet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There will be fewer members who need moderating when it opens again.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    There are a lot of members who enjoyed being able to debate subjects in a vigorous and less PC manner than is possible in the rest of the forum.
    Nonsense - all you could do in the Bear Pit that you can't do elsewhere is insult, abuse and swear. If you want to chat about non-watch things the G&D is fine, if you want feedback on a deal the H&V forum is fine. If you want to (Heaven forbid) talk about watches, there's plenty of choice there too.

It was more Jackass than Newsnight and all those waxing lyrical about a place for vigorous debate are just missing the opportunity to call each other c***s.

Would people still be clamouring for it's return if you got auto banned for obscenities?

Whilst I confess to having derived more than a little voyeuristic amusement at many of the shenanigans that go on in the pit it does still surprise me how much shouting, aggression and swearing there is. An interest in watches, watch collecting, horology whatever you want to call it seems pretty nerdy and I imagined other members more like Stephen Hawking than Vinnie Jones.

The problem with the role of Moderator is that it would probably only appeal to people unsuited to the role and attract sycophants to the power they wield. Ultimately I don't think it would improve this place that most of us presumably enjoy.

Digger

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Nonsense - all you could do in the Bear Pit that you can't do elsewhere is insult, abuse and swear. If you want to chat about non-watch things the G&D is fine, if you want feedback on a deal the H&V forum is fine. If you want to (Heaven forbid) talk about watches, there's plenty of choice there too.
    Would people still be clamouring for it's return if you got auto banned for obscenities?
    Have to agree with what you say here, would be interesting to know who were the top ten BP posters?

It was the stalking and bullying I objected to most.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I think we already did that but it actually showed nothing. Many who contributed plenty to the BP did so quite within the guidelines and some managed it without profanity. It's the content of the posts that was the problem, not the number of them.

Fair point.

Banned
    That's a very good point! No-one minded robust debate. No-one minded a little banter. The adolescent hatred and rancid bile combined with lies and four-lettered vitriole, however, were universally disliked by all except those who indulged in it, who were/are a minority.
    Sorry to keep quoting you Dunc, but it must just be the tosh you continually post. Plus, this thread could go off topic, so I won't stick on this line, however, the posters you refer to don't need counseling and were not universally disliked at all. It is those who wrap their conniving ways in clever, always false, dialogue who cause the biggest threat.

I'll call a halt to this now before it becomes a Bear Pit thread. "If you can't play the ball, play the man" is not a tactic I recommend on this forum otherwise I'll be playing the man.

Eddie

Nonsense - all you could do in the Bear Pit that you can't do elsewhere is insult, abuse and swear.
    Not nonsense: where else can you discuss politics or religion?
    Disallow the "insult, abuse and swear" from the BP and it would be fine, IMO. (I'd simply change the no 'swear' to 'don't swear at each other', as there's always a place for humourous swearing).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Not nonsense: where else can you discuss politics or religion?
    G&D by the look of it - the last two posts are about the Falklands referendum and Chris Huhne.

G&D by the look of it - the last two posts are about the Falklands referendum and Chris Huhne.
    Huhne isn't politics. It's Greek tragedy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Huhne isn't politics. It's Greek tragedy.
    It's only 50% Greek, and all self inflicted.

Not sure I understand a lot of the comments here, why not just use your ignore function ???????????????????

I don't like what someone is posting about, use IGNORE

I don't like someone, use IGNORE

I don't like swearing, use IGNORE or stay out of the bearpit
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    Not sure I understand a lot of the comments here, why not just use your ignore function ???????????????????

I don't like what someone is posting about, use IGNORE

I don't like someone, use IGNORE

I don't like swearing, use IGNORE or stay out of the bearpit
    Completely valid point, but the few users whom are compelled by either their own agenda or their deliberately inflammatory views can pull threads irreparably off topic until they have no opportunity to be a reasoned debate so just expire messily.

G&D: Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It was more Jackass than Newsnight and all those waxing lyrical about a place for vigorous debate are just missing the opportunity to call each other c***s.

I must say I do not understand your point at all.

1) Were there problems in the BP? Yes, absolutely.there were a few members stalking each other, and it made for a sad, petty spectacle. When on top of that they can't hold their drink and feel compelled to post it was plain nasty and stupid. Whenever they would step in a thread, that thread was doomed. Whenever one of those was sent on holiday, normal service usually resumed.
    So maybe we could do with a rule in the bear pit that you are on an ejection seat.

2) But I do not see how it is any of your business, as it is easy to stay out of the BP if you do not enjoy it, unless your name is mentioned in a thread. Just like I do not believe profanity, as such, is an issue. I put far more emphasis on meaning than on form, and having to deal with some high level customer complaints during the day and I enjoy relaxing my vocabulary there, even if I do not believe I am among the top offenders. I also find describing somebody with 4 letters much more convenient and accurate than using a couple of sentences for the same result. In the immortal words of Billy Connolly, there are times when "Go away" is simply not enough.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

This thread is getting just like the Pit, the same names posting over and over again with no reason other than to hear their own voices and/or be abrasive. Do us all a favour and give it a rest, please.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I think it's a bit like politics.

People who want to be MP's should be automatically barred from office.
    People who want to be moderators are the last people who should be allowed to be...

Personally I am not too sorry to see the Bear Pit go, it was becoming out of control with appalling foul mouthed attacks for little provocation - no wit, no class, no finesse. I like robust debate, but not bullying and endless peurile abuse devoid of any intelligence.

Taffytoon, for whatever reason, felt it necessary to behave like a five year old with tourettes. It was pretty unedifying watching a man in his fifties or sixties behave like a feral child. Toward the end I was pretty much getting to the point of having had enough anyway.

At least when you swore Steve it was either funny or had a point behind it.
    Very eloquently put mate.
    Thankyou.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    This thread is getting just like the Pit, the same names posting over and over again with no reason other than to hear their own voices and/or be abrasive. Do us all a favour and give it a rest, please.
    Very true!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    +1

With the BP gone for a while do something constructive - post art on the Buns or Norks threads.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    +1

With the BP gone for a while do something constructive - post art on the Buns or Norks threads.

Keith.
    I wonder whether some of the problem was that there may have been overlap between the Bear Pit and a seriously underused forum like Hyde Park Corner. Many of the threads that I contributed to or started were more personal observations or invitations to debate that would have suited Hyde Park Corner better than the Pit. After all the Pit did advertise itself as a place to stamp your feet, have a tantrum and call people rude names rather than being the new Algonquin Round Table.

The other problem with the Pit is that things go too 'ad hominim' far too quickly. A lot of us didn't go in looking for a fight, but things got very polarised, very quickly and a lot of people found themselves typecast whether they liked it or not and whether they deserved it or not.

I think there's a place for the Pit, where else would Alexaff and Burnsey go to be loquacious? I'd hate to see it go away completely, it could be fun at times. A lot of the stuff that got posted made my toes curl but that's no reason to moderate it. As long as there's a front door that controls entry and it's well signposted in terms of content until the libel lawyers call keep it as free as possible. As others have observed it was an interesting window on some people's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    I wonder whether some of the problem was that there may have been overlap between the Bear Pit and a seriously underused forum like Hyde Park Corner. Many of the threads that I contributed to or started were more personal observations or invitations to debate that would have suited Hyde Park Corner better than the Pit.
    This is a very, very good point about Hyde Park Corner.

I enjoy debate, but I prefer to keep it civil and reasonably polite. I do not like copious foul language and the gang bully boy tactics employed by a few. I'll argue my position hard, and I am not above retaliating when provoked (and probably sometimes when I shouldn't), but tried to do it with humour and debating skills rather than just hurling abuse.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with swearing when appropriate or funny, but being told to "f-off" or called a "c-word" simply because someone didn't agree with my point of view did get really rather tiresome, and when several would do their best to gang up just to abuse a poster it sometimes became very unpleasant. As I have said before, I am not a saint, and I am certainly not trying to put myself up as a paragon of virtue because I really don't see myself that way at all, but there are certain lines I wouldn't cross (although I accept I might occasionally come close under extreme provocation).

We often debated emotive subjects in the BP, and that is fine, emotions will run high as a result. But there should be some self control exercised by all members - and because there wasn't, Eddie (quite rightly in my opinion) decided a full time-out was needed.

I think those of us who like robust but basically courteous debate should probably use Hyde Park Corner (no rude words allowed), and those who want to be scatalogically creative and do some excellent swearing should use The Boys Room.

How about that?

So clever my foot fell off.

I enjoy debate, but I prefer to keep it civil and reasonably polite. I do not like copious foul language and the gang bully boy tactics employed by a few. I'll argue my position hard, and I am not above retaliating when provoked (and probably sometimes when I shouldn't), but tried to do it with humour and debating skills rather than just hurling abuse.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with swearing when appropriate or funny, but being told to "f-off" or called a "c-word" simply because someone didn't agree with my point of view did get really rather tiresome, and when several would do their best to gang up just to abuse a poster it sometimes became very unpleasant. As I have said before, I am not a saint, and I am certainly not trying to put myself up as a paragon of virtue because I really don't see myself that way at all, but there are certain lines I wouldn't cross (although I accept I might occasionally come close under extreme provocation).

We often debated emotive subjects in the BP, and that is fine, emotions will run high as a result. But there should be some self control exercised by all members - and because there wasn't, Eddie (quite rightly in my opinion) decided a full time-out was needed.

I think those of us who like robust but basically courteous debate should probably use Hyde Park Corner (no rude words allowed), and those who want to be scatalogically creative and do some excellent swearing should use The Boys Room.

How about that?

That's all very well but in the real world too the less articulate, less eloquent sometimes respond with their fists.

Digger

Now that makes sense - move the actual debate and discussion away and leave the BP to Nelson, Jimbo and Dolph. Like you I appreciate a good discussion but when all you get in reply is Dumb and Dumber saying "yeah, well your a t**t" (sic), it does get tiresome.

"Oh, it was doomed, as I said," said the Captain, "Apparently it was going
    to crash into the sun or something. Or maybe it was that the moon was
    going to crash into us. Something of the kind. Absolutely terrifying
    prospect whatever it was."

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed viewing the bear pit threads for over a year mostly as a reader but the last month or so it was mental.

Looking forward to its return but I think some Members need to lighten up.

Forum Moderation

My 3 year old is more convincing than some here when trying to claim his innocence in a situation.

I was a part of it, will miss it, but am happy regardless.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodrķguez

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    That's all very well but in the real world too the less articulate, less eloquent sometimes respond with their fists.

Digger
    That's true to a degree, but you can choose whether to live in that sort of world/area/establishment or not. There's plenty of pubs in my nearest city when I could go and expect to find fisticuffs, but I don't.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That's true to a degree, but you can choose whether to live in that sort of world/area/establishment or not. There's plenty of pubs in my nearest city when I could go and expect to find fisticuffs, but I don't.

R
    Indeed, I just think that face to face one would know when to stop pushing the other guys buttons. I have read many of his contris and TFB is clearly a bright articulate guy as are you but not everyone here necessarily is - I wasn't trying to make any wider observation than that.

Digger

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Everyone seems to look back as if the BP was just full of threads like "how should we all work together to end world famine" and "which cardinal would make the best pope" and suchlike. It wasn't. It was abusive, nasty, cliquey, venomous hatred-spilling of the highest order.

I personally hope it's holiday is a nice long one. G&D is quite adequate for discussions of non-watch related banter. If people really want somewhere to type vitriolic diatribes of four-letter words on their computer, just open 'Notepad' and knock yourself out.

Just my opinion of course :)
    I agree completely.

As for moderation. Not really a question to ask. When did turkeys vote for Christmas.
    Of course fora need moderation. If not they will be run by forum bullies. One way or another they will be moderated.
    I say this with the greatest respect for Eddie, who is clearly of the opinion that moderation is neither required nor desired. It's his forum.

I'll call a halt to this now before it becomes a Bear Pit thread. "If you can't play the ball, play the man" is not a tactic I recommend on this forum otherwise I'll be playing the man.

Eddie

Chaps, Eddie has kindly provided a hint - please demonstrate a little control before the axe man cometh.

BP is having a holiday. Seriously it up to us whether it's a dirty weekend or a gap year.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

For me it was very, very simple.

The BP had morphed into a 'dojo' and there was much stalking and personal agenda's.

The line had been crossed some time ago (for me) when I received a couple of abusive PM's from a certain individual.

It's easy to get drawn in - let's just drop this everybody. Hopefully the karma will return and the trollfest will take a while to regenerate.

Let's talk about what we are all (supposed to be) here for.............
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It's the lack of moderation (hate "nanny" states) that makes this forum special and self-civilised.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I think Burnsey as Bear Pit moderator would be hilarious
    I think it would be hilarious he would end up banning himself for sure :)

Master
    Great news that the pit may come back!

As for additional moderation, I don't see it as necessary and could you imagine the uproar and questioning about the selected few...... by some..... would be a nightmare

How about that?

Now that is a very good idea indeed.

Save Hyde park corner for reasoned mass debating, and the boys room for unreasonable mastur.......(you get the idea).

complete waste of time discussing this in a thread, the eddster will just do what he wants anyway
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    complete waste of time discussing this in a thread, the eddster will just do what he wants anyway
    He will of course but presumably in his interest to keep people (most anyway) aboard. A vibrant (and the BP was certainly that) forum will attract new members and potential customers.

The Bear Pit hasn't died, it's just taking a holiday.

Eddie
    Reminds me of the Bern bear pits which were pretty grim and, with so little space, obviously doing the bears no favours at all. The second time I visited Bern the pits had been expanded, modernised and renamed the "Bear Park". The bears were the same though and, sadly, still completely bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    He will of course but presumably in his interest to keep people (most anyway) aboard. A vibrant (and the BP was certainly that) forum will attract new members and potential customers.
    i sincerely believe the moon will freeze over and mice will play around on there in little go carts made of feta and tinfoil and sporting maroon waistcoats and felt bucket hats embroidered with little orange doxa logos before the eddster would ever delegate moderation. but then , i am often wrong about things, it wouldn't be the first time.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

i sincerely believe the moon will freeze over and mice will play around on there in little go carts made of feta and tinfoil and sporting maroon waistcoats and felt bucket hats embroidered with little orange doxa logos before the eddster would ever delegate moderation. but then , i am often wrong about things, it wouldn't be the first time.
    I'm certain of one thing, I'm glad I took a deep breath before reading your reply Dave ; )

Cheers,
    Gary

I've been busy reading all these one hundred posts before I reminded myself that the bear pit isn't an actual real life place.

It's a subsection on the internet, so it's virtual.
    It's not real, not life threatening, and not important to day-to-day living (for most of us anyway)
    It's was in hyper space, but now it's gone.

Get over it. And move on.

You might like to submit this for consideration on Jim'll paint it.

The forum, and the BP in particular, do not need a moderator. What they need is an added Windows functionality, that would display a warning when necessary...

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    +1

Keith.
    Quite right, give me a break from trying to keep you lot entertained

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The forum, and the BP in particular, do not need a moderator. What they need is an added Windows functionality, that would display a warning when necessary...

Love it Saint.
    sums up my outlook as far as replies to customers.....type it...save it....look at it in the morning !

Cheers
    darren

Has it gone again? Can't see it for a couple of days now.