closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IsoFrane owners..How do feel about its scent?

IsoFrane owners..How do feel about its scent?

Like it or not? What exactly it is made of anyway?

Last edited by seikomatic; 18th October 2012 at 07:24.

Master
    I like it. It's made out of some specific rubber composition which gives it those features: resistance, comfort and flexibility.

Here's some intel here: http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/Isofrane.html

Looks like ISOfrane is actually a brand, not really a strap type. Didn't knew that before.

Craftsman
    I wasn't that keen on the vanilla smell but it gradually went away and now it's barely noticeable. Not sure why they bother to be honest!

Apprentice
    Had one very briefly, didn't like the scent at all.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    Like it or not? What exactly it is made of anyway?

Not sure if you are supposed to wear them for diving off buildings.

Thanks for reminding as I have no intention to make the local record yet.....

Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with the scent. I do have a problem with the buckle (the same the OP showed on the pic). The angles of the buckle are too sharp! It punched a hole in one of my sweaters.

Overhere in Holland, other Isofrane owners experienced very rapid wear of one of the strap parts:

Personally, I didn't have the same experience. But I think it's something to check when you're using an Isofrane. On the bright side: when the owner of this strap informed Isofrane about the problems, they replaced it without asking questions. Imho, this has also to do with the angles being too sharp.

Menno

I have no problem with the scent at all - it fades quite quickly but has never really offended me (though my sense of smell is poor, so I might have been annoying lots of people for a while).

I have not experienced the issues that Menno points out regarding weakness - it's a very comfortable strap and better than other "rubber" options.

The buckle does have sharp edges, though my kids have suffered more from that than my sweaters - annoying when you pick your kid up for a cuddle and your watch scratches their back - ruins the moment, but I'm sure that one day they'll see the joy I had from watch ownership outweighs their short term physical comfort.

IsoFrane owners..How do feel about its scent?

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post

The buckle does have sharp edges, though my kids have suffered more from that than my sweaters - annoying when you pick your kid up for a cuddle and your watch scratches their back - ruins the moment, but I'm sure that one day they'll see the joy I had from watch ownership outweighs their short term physical comfort.
    LOL. Spoken like a true WIS.

I also don't have a problem with the scent, but then I don't really spend much time sniffing watch straps.

No idea how they smell, but that one looks like a giant orange handcuff.

Originally they really had the vanilla scent, but recent purchases have had almost none at all. I keep buying them because of the look, but alway seem to sell them. I have come to realize I cannot stand pressure on my wrist, which I always get from these thick straps....even when worn loose.

I can wear a tropic with no issue. So, I'll stick to bracelets/NATO/Tropics.

For the record....I really liked the heavy vanilla scent.

Last edited by demer03; 18th October 2012 at 11:13. Reason: Added pic

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    i thought that the vanilla infusion was to combat the occasional manky smell that comes from wearing it to dive in, natural drying, sweat under the rubber etc?

Master
    Loving the orange isofrane - I have a cheapie orange J Springs beater that would suit it perfectly , smelly or not :)
    Last edited by back to the top; 18th October 2012 at 18:25. Reason: Spelling

I once put the watch in a small box for a couple of days and when I opened it, a very intense smell flushed out and I was a little concern about the materials it used....

Just happens to find out that Seiko has similar design

Last edited by seikomatic; 19th October 2012 at 04:04.

Apprentice
    I've detected the vanilla arome in some Bonetto Cinturini straps, but less intense than Isofrane. It also seems to me that orange Isofranes have more distinct vanilla than black ones......

....or maybe I've just been sniffing too much vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I've detected the vanilla arome in some Bonetto Cinturini straps, but less intense than Isofrane.
    Pretty sure BC are manufacturing the Isofrane straps.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    No idea how they smell, but that one looks like a giant orange handcuff.
    well, DUTCH people like that!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    On the bright side: when the owner of this strap informed Isofrane about the problems, they replaced it without asking questions.
    Which makes it very much more a selling point than a weakness in my book.

The vanilla smell is added just like there are spay cans new car- and leather interior smell: Natural rubber has a faint vanilla scent.
    It is now ádded to natural rubber even as it naturally isn´t all that prominent so could be mistaken for synthetic, which can be scented too, making it all ..... naff.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Originally Posted by
    On the bright side: when the owner of this strap informed Isofrane about the problems, they replaced it without asking questions.
    Good CS on one side...immense margin on the other side.

Other than those keepers..it doesn't take fat spring bars neither....