closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casio ProTrek sensor reading problems

erik

Casio ProTrek sensor reading problems

Hello,
    New on the forum, so bear with me.

I'm having a problem with a Casio ProTrek/Pathfinder, and was wondering if anyone else has seen the same? The compass no longer gives a reading. Trying to recalibrate doesn't work, it seems to not take a reading at all from the sensor if I venture a guess. Same goes for the altimeter, but then again I never use that. Barometer works. My first guess would be that the direction sensor has been demagnetized, even though the manual says the calibration should act differently in that case.

So

1) Has anyone seen this? Have you even been able to fix it?
    2) Has anyone handed in a ProTrek to have the sensor replaced?

Cheers,
    /Erik

Re: Casio ProTrek sensor reading problems

Hi Erik, welcome to the forum.

I have a ProTrek, but haven't experienced the problems you're having.

What is the state of charge of the cell? Low power will turn off many of the features on the ProTrek.

HTH
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry I can't help but wanted to say Hi anyhow :D

I don't think I've seen this problem reported on either the G-Shock or ABC forums on WUS.

erik

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold

What is the state of charge of the cell? Low power will turn off many of the features on the ProTrek.

HTH
    Charge state is "H", as it has been for the four years I've had it :)

I saw a note in the specs saying the "low temperature tolerance does not apply to the direction sensor", but now we're about 0 celsius so that shouldn't be the issue. I get "---" on the direction reading, and bidirectional as well as northerly calibration just never proceeds past step 1. Oh well, guess I'll hand it in to the shop and see if a repair is possible and costs less than a new one. Love the watch otherwise.

Thanks,
    /Erik

The compass works great on mine, and has done so recently at sub-zero temperatures. Weird that your barometer works, but not the altimeter, as the latter is dependent on the former. Does sound like a sensor problem, though, if the watch's other functions continue to work fine.

If you've had it four years, it owes you nothing - it's a good excuse for a new one. The svelte new PRW-1300Y can be had for a bargain £135.

Quote Originally Posted by erik

HTH
    Charge state is "H", as it has been for the four years I've had it :)

I saw a note in the specs saying the "low temperature tolerance does not apply to the direction sensor", but now we're about 0 celsius so that shouldn't be the issue. I get "---" on the direction reading, and bidirectional as well as northerly calibration just never proceeds past step 1. Oh well, guess I'll hand it in to the shop and see if a repair is possible and costs less than a new one. Love the watch otherwise.

Thanks,
    /Erik
    'H' certainly indicates that it is fully charged, so no problem there.

Just like Seamaster's, mine works perfectly well in sub zero temperatures, but have you tried it indoors where it's nice and warm, (assuming you don't live in an igloo :wink: )?

I'm guessing that you already know that there are two types of directional calibration for the compass on your model. Bi-directional for if the watch becomes magnetised and northerly calibration for normal calibration against a reference compass. Have you tried both?

Also, if the sensor has become seriously magnetised, it could be worth repeating bi-directional calibration a few times.

That the barometer works but the altimeter doesn't is surprising, as Seamaster says - they use the same sensor. When you say the barometer works though, are you saying that it simply displays a reading? or that the reading changes with barometric preasure and is reasonably accurate with local weather reports? If the display doesn't change with varying barometric preasure then it could be that something, (dust/dirt), has got into the sensor. If so then rinse the sensor under a tap and shake lightly to remove it.

Other than that, "get it fixed with a new one" as my Father in Law used to say. :D
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

erik

Just like Seamaster's, mine works perfectly well in sub zero temperatures, but have you tried it indoors where it's nice and warm, (assuming you don't live in an igloo :wink: )?
    Yes, tried indoors, but the manual does say that could give too weak readings for the direction sensor, so I didn't consider it reliable troubleshooting.
    I'm guessing that you already know that there are two types of directional calibration for the compass on your model. Bi-directional for if the watch becomes magnetised and northerly calibration for normal calibration against a reference compass. Have you tried both?

Also, if the sensor has become seriously magnetised, it could be worth repeating bi-directional calibration a few times.
    Yes, I've tried both several times. I go into the calibration mode and press the button to take the calibration point, and it simply ignores it.

That the barometer works but the altimeter doesn't is surprising, as Seamaster says - they use the same sensor. When you say the barometer works though, are you saying that it simply displays a reading? or that the reading changes with barometric preasure and is reasonably accurate with local weather reports? If the display doesn't change with varying barometric preasure then it could be that something, (dust/dirt), has got into the sensor. If so then rinse the sensor under a tap and shake lightly to remove it.
    Good point, I haven't double-checked the readings. However, the watch is submerged several times a week (and rinsed in clean water afterwards), so I don't think that's it.
    Other than that, "get it fixed with a new one" as my Father in Law used to say. :D
    I've handed it in now to be sent to Casio. We'll see if it's fixable. Otherwise I have some very fun shopping to do. Just need to sort these water resistance standards first. But that's a topic for another post.

Thank you all for you help and attention!
    /Erik

Apprentice
    [QUOTE=erik;677067]
    Hi, have the same issue - no compass or altimeter, but then tried it in full sunlight and both functions worked fine. No bright sun, no function.
    Only thing I can think is that although the battery charge says High, after some 15 years it’s not got the same power as before, unless the sun gives it a little more ooomph. A new rechargeable battery is probably the answer...