It was becoming difficult to change functions on my Aerospace Avantage as the crown had become stiff to turn, especially rapidly. So I took it in to the Breitling Boutique in Sheffield for them to send to BUK for a full service. I have to say that the staff in there were excellent and pointed out that there was an orange mark on the dial between 12 and 2 which I hadn't noticed before, but checking the snaps I took before I took it in to them it was certainly there, (see photo below), I knew the cost of the full service and they advised that a replacement dial would be around £300, also that Breitling would advise if any other work was required so left it with them to send off and await their quote.

I have just received the following Email from them and am somewhat puzzled....

Thank you for entrusting us with your timepiece; it is our pleasure to provide the estimate outlined below, where we have itemised the quotation into necessary and optional work.

Following careful examination by a Master Watchmaker, diagnostics have shown that to return your timepiece to its original functional and aesthetic specifications, the following interventions and/or components are required:

The following work is deemed necessary:

Full service required - £545.00
Aerospace bracelet - £300.00
Supply and fitting of 3 shortening links for bracelet.

Total - £845.00

The following work is deemed optional: .

Replacement of discoloured dial - £300.00
Total - £300.00

The bit I don't understand is regarding the bracelet. Is the £300 for a new bracelet? Refinishing the bracelet? or just for 3 shortening links, (whatever they are?)? As they've said it's necessary am I right to assume they won't do the full service on the watch unless I have the bracelet done?

I will be contacting them to ask but wondered what the collective thought. I've included a couple of shots of the bracelet below, (yes, I cleaned out the DNA before I took it in - I've been wearing the watch on a blue NATO for some time). Also, any thoughts as to what happened with the dial? It wasn't like it a few weeks ago.

Anyone else have experience of this work by BUK?