closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My watch design needs a new name, any ideas?

Craftsman

My watch design needs a new name, any ideas?

The recent Schofield watch design competition finally got me to do something with some watch design ideas I have had in my head for a few years. Predictably I got nowhere but as I probably wasn't strictly eligible, no great loss.

Last minute naming to suit Schofield competition was not very successful. Now that Schofield connection is gone, I need a better name for this design, any suggestions?

Original presentation here- http://www.artsthread.com/portfolios...eforschofield/

Here are some visuals-

Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5offFlnjTsM

T H E S T E V E D O R E

A watch design for the Schofield Last Signalman Watch Competition by Robert Morrison, November 2015.

The Stevedore has been designed as a rugged reliable timepiece, at home on the shoreline or in the city.
    Coastal imagery, filtered through the prism of classic horological design has helped produce a unique modular
    design with a series of distinctive protective shrouds.
    The stevedore range uses the same basic watchcase combined with different shrouds to produce a highly
    distinctive family of watches. The examples shown here are all polished stainless steel, but further variations
    could be introduced by using contrasting materials for the shrouds, the articulated lugs and the cases.
    The standard 42mm diameter watchcase has been designed to house an ETA / Unitas 6497 or 6498 16.5
    ligne (36.6 mm), 4.5 mm thick watch movement. By designing a case to accommodate this very large
    movement, the Stevedore could also accommodate most other commonly available movements, to allow for
    future model variations.
    The shrouds come in 3 variants-
    1, Circular, 43mm diameter stainless steel shroud with distinctive “sand dollar” hour marker cut-outs.
    2, Cushion Case, 43 x 43mm classic shape stainless steel shroud with distinctive hour marker “sand dollar”
    cut-outs.
    3, Oval, 43 x 49mm shell shaped stainless steel shroud with distinctive hour marker “sand dollar” cut-outs.
    All of the shrouds share the same central geometry and section and vary only in their outer edge profile to
    facilitate the manufacturing process. This means that all the variants can be made from identical blanks with
    only the final shaping being different for each model. Owners could theoretically change shrouds on the same
    base watch, as the shrouds are not integral to the waterproofing of the watch.
    The Stevedore range are bold timepieces with great wrist presence, but the combination of the articulated
    lugs and the 43mm maximum width should mean that the watches will be comfortable to wear on a great
    range of wrist sizes.
    The Stevedore has a total thickness of 12mm including the shroud so should easily slip under a shirt cuff.
    The Stevedore articulated lug system can accommodate straps of up to 26mm wide.
    Last edited by MORRI; 18th January 2016 at 00:01.

Craftsman
    Dodgy name and blurb, but horses for courses eh?

Craftsman
    Anyone got any ideas for a better name?

I'd have to agree that "Stevedore" is a pretty awful name but kudos to you for an original and interesting design (especially the hour markers cut out of the case which I've never seen before) the likes of which seem to be increasingly uncommon in the watchmaking world unless part of a hideous show piece. I particularly like the cushion cased model. Great job.

I rather like it (but I've already told you that).

As you know, my two ideas (based on wooden diving bells and the strange antics of Lewes Bonfire Societies) never really got off the ground...

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I'd have to agree that "Stevedore" is a pretty awful name but kudos to you for an original and interesting design (especially the hour markers cut out of the case which I've never seen before) the likes of which seem to be increasingly uncommon in the watchmaking world unless part of a hideous show piece. I particularly like the cushion cased model. Great job.
    Cheers,

Name was a bit of a last minute panic as I had to call it something. The watch is supposed to be a bit "raffish" shiny but tough? All suggestions gratefully received....

Quote Originally Posted by MORRI View Post
    Cheers,

Name was a bit of a last minute panic as I had to call it something. The watch is supposed to be a bit "raffish" shiny but tough? All suggestions gratefully received....
    Why not go down the Bremont route? There's an old Hawker Hunter next to a truck stop on the A17: ask if you can steal a bit off it, put tiny bits in your watch and voila! The "Schofield Hunter" (limited edition of course).

Craftsman
    Why not go down the Bremont route? There's an old Hawker Hunter next to a truck stop on the A17: ask if you can steal a bit off it, put tiny bits in your watch and voila! The "Schofield Hunter" (limited edition of course).
    Ha ha, good shout. I think Schofield have had their chance, if the b*ggers don't want it....

Now I am free of the Schofield thing I no longer need to find a name that starts with "S" should open up the field a bit?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

As you know, my two ideas (based on wooden diving bells and the strange antics of Lewes Bonfire Societies) never really got off the ground...

M
    Thanks M, any ideas what I could call it now it is no longer shackled to the Schofield anchor?

Craftsman

M
    Given what did actually win, I think you should have persisted!

Given what did actually win, I think you should have persisted!
    One thing I've learnt in the past decade, is that designing watches is not as easy at it looks, and best left to professionals. I'm certainly not one of the latter group of individuals.

Craftsman
    One thing I've learnt in the past decade, is that designing watches is not as easy at it looks, and best left to professionals. I'm certainly not one of the latter group of individuals.
    Competition winner was a story rather than a design

Competition winner was a story rather than a design
    I know. Interesting. I need to talk to Giles about it next time I see him...

Craftsman
    Thread title edited to encourage comments

Just shortening to Dore would sound better. Or an anagram using stevedore as a basis; steed, strode, vedor, etc etc

Thanks M, any ideas what I could call it now it is no longer shackled to the Schofield anchor?
    Cerberus. Your watch has three heads, after all.

Or Fluffy, if we're aiming for the modern generation?

Master
    Cheers,

The Rake? Corsair? Treasure Hunter?

Agree that Cerberus is a good shout or Hydra.

There's already a watch called Cerberus

Maybe choose something that can be the start of a 'theme' something like Greek or Roman or whoever gods ( if that isn't too pretentious ) Mercury, Zeus, Odin, Thor, that sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There's already a watch called Cerberus
    So there is. In which case, it'll have to be Fluffy.

Kerberos is the Greek. Perhaps that works? Echidna or Typhon?
    Last edited by Broussard; 18th January 2016 at 09:52.

Looking purely at the images (and not knowing what the water resistance is) it looks to me like it should have a nautical themed name ... Something like Marine or Mariner, or Bosun.

Have you got a name for the company as well as the watch?

Or Commodore would keep the 'sore' bit.

That should have said 'dore' bit.

Apprentice
    So there is. In which case, it'll have to be Fluffy.

Kerberos is the Greek. Perhaps that works? Echidna or Typhon?
    Echidna sounds really good. Typhon looks too similar to Typhoon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Looking purely at the images (and not knowing what the water resistance is) it looks to me like it should have a nautical themed name ... Something like Marine or Mariner, or Bosun.

Have you got a name for the company as well as the watch?
    I know what you mean, commodore seems a bit "blazer wearer"

Capstan full strength? :)

The Ballast.

I believe this derives from a nautical term.

"something providing stability or substance."

The watch looks pretty heft (in a good way) so this could work.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chessyjerry072 View Post
    Echidna sounds really good. Typhon looks too similar to Typhoon.
    I met an Echidna once whilst in Australia... could best be described as a much cuter version of a porcupine! Or a hedgehog on acid...

Not sure that makes for a good watch name...

Some good names around the nautical / yachting world... maybe boat classes, the J-Class always used to compete in the Americas Cup.

How about 'Genero'?

Latin for 'to create'.

I like the cushion design, my only concern is that those cuttings on the bezel as different as they look, might clog up very quickly with dust and other day to day grime..

Also, you can't just randomly come up with a name that sounds good... well, you can, but it will have no purpose... If you are serious about this then you should work on a brand strategy/positioning, which will lead you to an appropriate name and everything that comes with it...

Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    I met an Echidna once whilst in Australia... could best be described as a much cuter version of a porcupine! Or a hedgehog on acid...

Not sure that makes for a good watch name...

Some good names around the nautical / yachting world... maybe boat classes, the J-Class always used to compete in the Americas Cup.
    Sorry - dangers of a classical education.

Cerberus was the offspring of Typhon and Echidna. And since Cerberus has been taken by a completely unrelated watch offering (no idea how they came up with that idea, by the way. Nothing that I can see relates it to the two most famous Cerberus' - the monster in Greek mythology or the dark spot on Mars), it was the next best thing. I still like Kerberos and Cerbere. But there we are.

ETA: there's a nautical link too - various naval vessels have been called HMS Cerberus.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I like the cushion design, my only concern is that those cuttings on the bezel as different as they look, might clog up very quickly with dust and other day to day grime..

Also, you can't just randomly come up with a name that sounds good... well, you can, but it will have no purpose... If you are serious about this then you should work on a brand strategy/positioning, which will lead you to an appropriate name and everything that comes with it...
    Hence Cerberus.

As said above - I can't immediately see the link between the *other* Cerberus and this one, but there we are.

Three-headed watches *deserve* to reference the guardian of the gates to the Underworld.

Probably.

Journeyman
    Sorry - dangers of a classical education.

Cerberus was the offspring of Typhon and Echidna. And since Cerberus has been taken by a completely unrelated watch offering (no idea how they came up with that idea, by the way. Nothing that I can see relates it to the two most famous Cerberus' - the monster in Greek mythology or the dark spot on Mars), it was the next best thing. I still like Kerberos and Cerbere. But there we are.

ETA: there's a nautical link too - various naval vessels have been called HMS Cerberus.
    I'm an engineer... classics avoided as much as possible!

A good reference and link to Cerberus without re-using a name. Just a little unfortunate that Cerberus was the offspring of this cute little chap...

Drifting *dangerously* off topic, but...

Echidnas (the monotreme) were actually named after the monster...

Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    I'm an engineer... classics avoided as much as possible!

A good reference and link to Cerberus without re-using a name. Just a little unfortunate that Cerberus was the offspring of this cute little chap...

I like the style. How about Ironclad? I'd call that trio the Ironclad Triptych.

Edit. There seems to already be a watch called Ironclad...
    Last edited by Possu; 18th January 2016 at 15:57.

Craftsman

I am sure you are right, but there is no company, it is just a design I did. Maybe the watch name could inform the "brand" as you put it?

Some great suggestions coming through now

Craftsman
    I think I would need to refine how the slots are cut to avoid too much buildup of crud. Having said that the shrouds are removable (like a rotating bezel that you can remove without affecting the seal on the watch ) so you could take them off to clean underneath if it got really mucky.

Craftsman
    Hence Cerberus.

As said above - I can't immediately see the link between the *other* Cerberus and this one, but there we are.

Three-headed watches *deserve* to reference the guardian of the gates to the Underworld.

Probably.
    I like the thinking, sadly there is also a watch named "Hydra" already in existence

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I like the style. How about Ironclad? I'd call that trio the Ironclad Triptych.

Edit. There seems to already be a watch called Ironclad...
    You could always name it after the first British ironclad warships - HMS Warrior or HMS Black Prince. Pretty certain there's never been a Black Prince watch!

Craftsman
    You could always name it after the first British ironclad warships - HMS Warrior or HMS Black Prince. Pretty certain there's never been a Black Prince watch!
    what about "Dreadnought"? ohhh wait.......

Orthrus? Orobas? Ares? Eligor?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Orthrus? Orobas? Ares? Eligor?
    This is turning out to be quite an education for me!

Go all out, how about - Deus, its Latin for "god".

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Go all out, how about - Deus, its Latin for "god".
    There's already an Australian Deus (ex Machina) watch.

There's already an Australian Deus (ex Machina) watch.
    Oh well, I just grabbed a name from my other nerdy hobby - metal detecting!! How about Denarius..

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep them coming. Design critique also welcomed!

Kerberos (the 3 headed) does have an appeal, and Fluffy would be a ready made forum nickname....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bolex

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Bolex
    Trollex?

Journeyman
    Keeping with naval ideas in mind...

Christopher Columbus had three, three masted ships... could use their names or the class of ship, Carracack or Caravel

Portal ... Sirrus ...

Craftsman
    Maybe something relating to Tsuba ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ts...HT54DfIQsAQIGw