closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A tale of two Smiths(the PRS-29a and it's new brother the W10).

A tale of two Smiths(the PRS-29a and it's new brother the W10).

Well, been wanting a W10 for years now, and was stupid enough to let loads of good condition ones pass me by for around £100 when I first became interested in them around 15 years ago, oh how we learn.

Anyway I decided to treat myself to a PRS-29a a while back in the hope it would scratch the itch, which it did to an extent as I love the watch, but I still hankered for the real mccoy.

Fast forward today and with a bit of trading I finally received my very own Smiths W10 and am thrilled. The PRS-29a will still have its place as I can wear that day to day without real fear of damage, and the W10 will be of course more protected but certainly given the occasional airing as I do buy my watches to wear and enjoy.

A few comparison photos, never realised the lug width of the W10 was 17mm and not 18mm until today, and the case size is closer to 35.5 than 36mm of the PRS-29a, that's about the only difference of note(aside from the obvious of course).

Nice comparison, and a cracking pair of watches. I went down exactly the same route and have a PRS-29A for 'everyday' wear and the W10 for special occasions. The best of both worlds!

Excellent pair

I love my 29a

Craftsman
    Great comparison and pics - nice.
    LC

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Nice comparison, and a cracking pair of watches. I went down exactly the same route and have a PRS-29A for 'everyday' wear and the W10 for special occasions. The best of both worlds!
    It is indeed :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys.

It is indeed :)
    Love it, I will need to get my own W10 one day, hence I got the larger Smiths Military.

While looking at specs and photos of the 29A today I noticed the length of the lugs - the lug to lug is 10mm more than the diameter. With these photos I can see that the W10 was exactly the same. Would there have been an especial reason for that eg ease of getting the straps in. Or was that simply typical for the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    While looking at specs and photos of the 29A today I noticed the length of the lugs - the lug to lug is 10mm more than the diameter. With these photos I can see that the W10 was exactly the same. Would there have been an especial reason for that eg ease of getting the straps in. Or was that simply typical for the time?
    I think it was pretty typical of that time with fixed bar/lug military watches. I guess the lug distance just suits the fitting of NATO straps.

On a side note, the PRS-29a has fantastic lume, better than any of my other watches. I can give it just a few seconds of light and it'll still be perfectly legible in a dark room 8 hours later. Very good considering mine is a few years old aswell.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 10th February 2016 at 12:16.

Banned
    a very good comparison, it show what a good job was done on the new one.