closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko gen 2 military watch. Is this a civvy version?

Master

Seiko gen 2 military watch. Is this a civvy version?

I have been tempted by a Gen 2 since seeing the one Mark L used to have.

This one has caught my eye, it's just around the corner from me so I was hoping to do a deal, but it's not stamped with any of the RAF markings.

Seller swears blind it's an issued military watch, but am I correct in thinking all RAF models would have had the full NATO designation with Broad arrow?

Price is through the roof anyway, but like I say, a deal outside of e.bay always suits both parties.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051...a%2526cp%253D1

There was certainly a civvy version of one of the two Seiko gens but I forget which one. I seem to remember somebody on here winning a nominally civvy version on Ebay but it turned up with the correct markings on the back - I don't remember who it was but he was very lucky. My, probably out of date, recollection is that civvies go for half the price of issued.

As far as I know and have gathered, the only difference between the civvy and the issued is the mil markings on the casebook, if it didn't have these then its non issued and civilian, both came exactly the same, fixed bars and all...

I have no direct experience, just what Ive picked up over the years, internet style.....

Master
    That's a civvy one. I bought one new from a jewellers in Edinburgh for my 30th birthday in 1997. £135 paid at the time

maseman

I've learnt something. Seiko used Promethium on this civvy version and at least one of their diver watches. See also: link.

As said, civvy. I almost bit the bullet on one thinking it was military, but some research, or advice, will set you straight.

Master
    Love this place.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions, the fella is certain it's military sadly - happens a lot with these by the looks of it.

Still military spec, which is nice, but it makes it a £200 watch instead of a £400 watch. The £550 is a bit strong, but for an issued one I think a deal could have been struck.

Thanks for the help again.

Craftsman
    Personally I prefer the Gen 1 from an aesthetic perspective.

Blog Entries
    All issued watches should have the numbers etc on the back, all the ones I've been issued have.