closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My New Balance racing flats might give you a headache!

My New Balance racing flats might give you a headache!

I registered my 18 year-old son and I to run in a "competitive" one mile race on December 13th just for kicks. Realizing that I need every advantage I can muster, I went out and bought these terrific New Balance 1400v2 racing flats yesterday. Not only are they incredibly light at just 6.3 ounces, but they are very nicely cushioned as well. I tried them out this morning and it's almost like running in cushioned socks! Some may be put off by the color combination, but I happen to like it (for its racing purpose). I'm just not too sure how much "race" there is left in this 67 year-old!

These Nike Terras were my weapons of choice for race day back in the 1980's......

F.T.F.A.

My last race was a 5K in 1985 or 1986, wearing some Nikes that looked kinda like these:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    These Nike Terras were my weapons of choice for race day back in the 1980's......

God I remember those, they were THE things to have. I think mine were Adidas De Castella racers. They were great after a set of training shoes and I remember some pretty swift Teddy Hall relay legs. If only I could recall how to run that fast....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I registered my 18 year-old son and I to run in a "competitive" one mile race on December 13th just for kicks. Realizing that I need every advantage I can muster, I went out and bought these terrific New Balance 1400v2 racing flats yesterday. Not only are they incredibly light at just 6.3 ounces, but they are very nicely cushioned as well. I tried them out this morning and it's almost like running in cushioned socks! Some may be put off by the color combination, but I happen to like it (for its racing purpose). I'm just not too sure how much "race" there is left in this 67 year-old!

They look like 4-minute mile beaters if ever I saw!

Best of luck, a mile isn't too bad though, I'm sure you'll do your son proud.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

New Balance have gone a bit wacky with their colourways of late!!

I had a pair of NB1061's which lasted ages, and I tried a pair of their replacements which is the 1080v4.
    They were ridiculously comfortable and would have been bob on for dossing about, but the toe was lacking support/cushioning for running any distance. Almost as if somebody had removed part of the insole from right under the toe, which was a real shame.

I opted for Asics Gel Nimbus 16's, which weren't as comfortable straight out of the box but do offer more support for me, though the jury is still out on these!

My daily shoe back then was the good old Internationalist, one of the first "proper" running shoes....

F.T.F.A.

Presumably they make you run faster as you're trying to get away from them? ;)

Dick "black plimsoll" Browne

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Loving that framed picture BTW!

My running shows are all mixed up, having wide feet, both my previous 1/2 marathon's were in New Balance 880, although my most recent 10k got some new Brooks Glycine, very good with moulded insoles, these will be my London Marathon shoes.

Although back to the OPs barefoot/ lightweight shoes, I bought a pare of the Nike Free runners whilst in NY in the summer, as everyone was wearing, MY GOD they are comfy and light!

Craftsman
    Cracking shoes OP, though could do with a bit more orange.

For the real migraine inducer check out mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had a pair of those new balance for about 6 months now. They're good runners!

more a stately Goat these days, but I am liking the way you can "build" your own Adidas Stan Smith on the Adidas Mi site.....
    saw their flagship store in Berlin a week ago, with all the materials/options
    A bit like speccing a car only cheaper.

Master

Weapon of choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Cracking shoes OP, though could do with a bit more orange.

For the real migraine inducer check out mine...
    My eyes! My EYES!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    more a stately Goat these days, but I am liking the way you can "build" your own Adidas Stan Smith on the Adidas Mi site.....
    Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I received in the mail my customized leather Converse Chuck Taylors that I designed on their web site. Not for everyone, but mostly me knocking around in blue jeans. Mine have my initials (small) in red on the side of the heel.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I wonder how many of our members know of Stan Smith and can recall his epic matches against the likes of Newcombe, Laver, Nastase, etc. (Yikes, I just realized I'm the same age as Smith!)