closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Arrival: "English, French or Dijon?" English, please (Avenger II Seawolf Content)

New Arrival: "English, French or Dijon?" English, please (Avenger II Seawolf Content)

Before I end up with a host of black dialled watches, a re-think is required to inject a little colour and diversity back in to the collection.

Only, “a little colour” might be a false statement. You don’t get much bigger, more brash, possibly even more immature, than a large yellow dialled Breitling...

I’ve owned the ‘Custard’, now it’s time for ‘Mustard’. My Breitling Avenger II Seawolf A17331.

My fourth Seawolf, and the best to date. I don’t know why I keep coming back to them. The reasons I flipped the last version was that I decided that it was too large, too heavy, and lacked class. I couldn’t see me hanging on to it for the long term, after all, it’s not the kind of watch you wear in your retirement, is it..?

But I have other classy watches that are fit for purpose, there’s no reason not to prop up the collection with something a little more fun. Back to the familiarity of a Seawolf, in a colour that is delightfully childish and guaranteed to put a smile on my face, only this time moving to the modern version and the Cobra Yellow scheme.

Differences over the old model include new bezel font, redesigned rider tabs, raised mirrored indices along with different shaped lume plots and teardrop second hand. The hour and minute hands have developed tails, red “Automatic” writing has been added and “Swiss Made” has been reinstated. The polished outer chapter ring has lost its segments and while the case remains relatively unchanged, the ProIII bracelet is superb with large curved endlinks that are far superior in doing the job of stopping the watch flopping about on your wrist.

Initially, when the Seawolf II was announced, I thought I preferred the older model and was worried about the more vibrant yellow. My worries were unfounded and concede that the new models modern approach has started to make the original Steel Seawolf look a little dated by comparison.

Nothing’s changed when it comes to the build quality. Still solid in feel and well finished. The newly designed bracelet maintains a sturdy feel and screwed removable links with old fashioned micro adjustment. The anti-reflective coating remains one of the best around making the domed sapphire close to invisible.

When I had my first Seawolf, I wrote a review with all the specifications and my thoughts, which are still applicable today, but the headlines remain:

• 45mm Wide
    • 18mm Thick
    • 145g Head Only
    • 22mm Lugs
    • 3,000m/10,000ft Water Depth Rating
    • Breitling Caliber 17 Movement based on a modified ETA 2824-2

Not a watch for the small wristed then.

Elegant it’s not. Versatility is subjective, but you’re not going to wear it with a suit. As a one watch solution, it’s dafter than wearing clown shoes to the office, but in a diverse collection of brands and categories, to me, nothing really says “WIS” more than a yellow Seawolf.

Last edited by RossC; 19th May 2014 at 21:21.

As you say, not a one watch solution, but a great addition to a collection for the summer.

Exellent photos too.

Wear in good health.

I had a 2002 superocean professional with a yellow face and I recently sold it but I did love it and when I get some funds I definitely will get a seawolf ,I think it's easily the best colour,yours looks mint

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just lovely.

I am dropping my B1 off at the boutique in New Bond St on Friday to go off for a service... I'm going to need to be very careful whilst I am there
    Last edited by amnesia; 19th May 2014 at 19:01.

Blog Entries
    Nice one,congrats.Love the dial :thumbup:

That's one big-hitter! And, refreshingly, it would appear you have the wrist to carry it off too.

Me likey!

Breitlings are not my thing, but I do like the dial colour. It's just the right yellow.

And it's always English. No point in mustard if it's French!

My favourite Breitling, congrats Ross.

Excellent Ross, I look forward to trying it on! :-)

Great photos, I needed some sunglasses to view but lovely watch!

I absolutely love Avengers - for me they are the definitive Breitling. Some time ago I seem to recall that you were kind enough to give me some advice about buying a Seawolf to go with my Avenger Skyland. At the time I didn't follow through on it as I didn't have the funds... but more recently a superb opportunity came up for the identical watch to this, and I took it.

What a watch. I agree with everything you've written here. The colour is fantastic, I prefer the detail changes to the previous model (most especially the silver numerals) and the bracelet is just awesome (my Skyland came with the Pro II rubber and an Abyss strap that I subsequently sold to you, so I had no prior experience of the bracelets).

The size, dimensions and weight really don't bother me at all - all my watches are between 43mm and 46mm so the Seawolf fits right in. What's important is whether or not a watch is comfortable on the wrist, and this certainly is. I'm actually really pleased that they didn't reduce the size to 43mm when they downsized the Avenger II.

Of course the colour stands out, but yellow is such an iconic dial colour for Breitlings. Clearly this is not the watch for a shy person - I have never had as many comments (always favourable, I might add) from non-WIS people as I do with the Seawolf.

Here's a photo of mine taken a few days ago...

All the best,

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 20th May 2014 at 08:45.

Oh, and here's a group 'big divers' shot featuring both the Seawolf, the Skyland and others...

Simon

On one point I must vehemently disagree with you, though Ross.

What do you mean "it's not the kind of watch you wear in your retirement"?! I have every intention of wearing it in my retirement

Simon

Master
    Great watches and that's a great version too - enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I couldn’t see me hanging on to it for the long term, after all, it’s not the kind of watch you wear in your retirement, is it..?
    I am not sure whether Ross is totally dismissing this watch for retirement.
    Being fair, Ross has a very long time to wait, the young whipper snapper

I've gone off him now...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Being fair, Ross has a very long time to wait, the young whipper snapper
    I think I'll take that as a compliment Mr C. The wife tells me I'm old, losing my hair, and laughs when I can't get off the couch after my back locks up. I must show her your post.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    On one point I must vehemently disagree with you, though Ross.
    What do you mean "it's not the kind of watch you wear in your retirement"?! I have every intention of wearing it in my retirement
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I've gone off him now...
    Ha ha!

I can't imagine wearing this in my care home. My frail wrists might have a job lifting it to look at what time I can expect nursie to come and give me a sponge bath
    Last edited by RossC; 20th May 2014 at 10:40.