closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to spot a Fake Omega Deployant Clasp and Strap...

How to spot a Fake Omega Deployant Clasp and Strap...

I recently came across a fake Omega Clasp and Strap combination that I spotted immediately thanks to my experience of genuine ones, but I thought I would write a post to help others spot the fakes, because, without prior experience of genuine ones, people could easily be ripped off.

There's a few strong "tells", but I'll try to compare them side by side to help identify the differences.

The above is one of the easiest ways to spot a FAKE 94521813 Clasp. Notice that the shape is very similar, but, the underside of the closer, with the "OMEGA" logo should have a brushed finish. The fake in this example is polished. You can also see that the genuine carries a further circular indent.

Another sign of a fake - Notice the genuine clasp has a perfect and continuous curve whereas the fake does not curve, it is simply bent to create an angle. I could go in to build quality differences at this point, illustrated by the finish and looseness in the closing mechanism, but that only helps if you have it in-hand, which I hope this post will avoid.

This is a little harder to spot, as the fake manufacturers have made a semi-decent job of copying the design. Note that the Omega Symbol is slightly smaller, fatter, better finished and positioned straight on the genuine clasp. You can also see that the fake double buttons are longer in width, slimmer and do not protrude as much as the genuine. Again, build quality is a giveaway. The genuine clasp has a solid feel whereas the fake is a little loose and rattles.

Now, on to the leather strap differences:

This is a little harder to describe if you've never owned a genuine Alligator strap before. The fake is very clearly a calf strap with Alligator grain pattern in this example, so the biggest giveaway is that Alligator scales should never be perfect. The fake has a very strict pattern and the scales look even and equal throughout. I've never come across a genuine Alligator with perfect scales, the scales should be varied, in size and shape.

While not conclusive, the model number here of 98000080 is well used by fake manufacturers. There is a genuine 98000080 strap out there somewhere, but predominantly, this number has been used on many fake straps, Black and Brown. Omega do not repeat strap numbers between colours, they always differ, so if you see a seller advertising Brown and Black straps with the same model number, they are most likely fake.

Overall, the fake manufacturers haven't done a bad job here. They have created a good deployant clasp and good calf strap. Where they made the mistake was by choosing to add all the Omega numbers and identifying symbols, rather than standing by their own work.

The genuine Omega items together are going to cost you at least £180 upwards pre-owned, and up to £500 new. If you see them any cheaper, it's unlikely they are real. If you haven't been tricked in to buying genuine Omega items, I would happily say the fakes have the quality to be worth around £40-50, it's just a shame that they are fakes, because the build quality is acceptable at a low price point and could look the part on your watch.

Does the underside of the clasp closing point have a brushed finish?
    Does the clasp have a continuous curve in shape?
    Are the Alligator/Croc scales varied in shape and size?
    Most importantly, does it feel like the quality you expect from Omega?

Yes? Then congratulations, you have a superb and Genuine Omega Strap and Clasp. If you answered 'No' to any of the above, time to get your money back...

Craftsman
    Really appreciate your work there Ross - Top man

Hi Ross

Excellent informative post....well worth the read !

Best - Neil

Master
    Interesting and useful comparison, thanks !

very interesting.no idea they were faking clasps but at these manufacturer prices why not?.seen a few fake straps and they were quite obvious.

Thanks Gents, I hope it can help someone out in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    very interesting.no idea they were faking clasps but at these manufacturer prices why not?.seen a few fake straps and they were quite obvious.
    Unfortunately it is all too common, which I understand when the OEM prices are so high, but if you want a cheap Omega Deployant, better to buy the generic alternatives, rather than a fake.

Very useful. Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to do this. A genuinely useful post and one that hopefully will help stop people getting duped.

Thanks for this, a very useful bit of information. :)

Useful and informative post, thanks.