closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Citizen 'Ray Mears'

Master

Citizen 'Ray Mears'

I'm after a Citizen Promaster 'Ray Mears'. I gather they are not quite as rare as some make them out to be but what should I be prepared to pay for a good-condition watch?

I've seen some around for 300 quid (and more). Seems a bit steep to me... or am I wrong?

Banned

Re: Citizen 'Ray Mears'

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    I'm after a Citizen Promaster 'Ray Mears'. I gather they are not quite as rare as some make them out to be but what should I be prepared to pay for a good-condition watch?

I've seen some around for 300 quid (and more). Seems a bit steep to me... or am I wrong?

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Im sure the last one i seen sell on Evil-bay went
    for over £400.....

great watches, got one for my father in law recently
    found mine in the states, think i paid around £280 and that was with the titanium bracelet.
    they always go for big money on ebay

Aren't there 3 versions? There seems to be a variation in price among the 3 'Mears' models. :?:

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

This one finishes in 17 hours its at £350 now..

Get on it :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citizen-Proma ... 3cc1e9cefc

Master

Bugger. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out.

I bought mine off ebay last year after not having any luck sourcing one through a wtb on here. It came with box, instructions and the original purchase receipt for £200 in 2004. It set me back £350 last February :shock: They are lovely watches though, although I don't wear it that much I really can't bare to part with it, especially when I put it on a black rhino the other day, it just looks pure class 8) There was one on SC with the titanium bracelet about a month ago that went for an absolute steal compared to the prices on ebay which usually do end up around the £350-£420 price range.

Craftsman

I had one and even acquired the titanium bracelet with it. I traded an Omega F300 for it and never did regret it. I don't have it any more though - I effectively traded it for a smartphone which, believe it or not, I also don't regret as it gets used quite literally all the time (I'm actually using it right now to type this).

The 'Ray Mears' is an excellent watch though and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it as it's one of the few watches out there that looks great on anything - leather, by nato or bracelet. It's the perfect size and weight and the domed crystal really does make it look like something special.

Can someone tell me the size of this watch please? Is it any bigger than the BM6400?

Banned

Hi Rick, I bought this one from you... it's a real gem, I still have it and wear/admire it regularly (though not in a very 'mears' context!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hussey
    I had one and even acquired the titanium bracelet with it. I traded an Omega F300 for it and never did regret it. I don't have it any more though - I effectively traded it for a smartphone which, believe it or not, I also don't regret as it gets used quite literally all the time (I'm actually using it right now to type this).

The 'Ray Mears' is an excellent watch though and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it as it's one of the few watches out there that looks great on anything - leather, by nato or bracelet. It's the perfect size and weight and the domed crystal really does make it look like something special.

Master

Much as I like the look and idea of the Promaster Tough (especially its one-piece titanium case), I don't think that, to me, it's worth the premium. To scratch the itch, so to speak, I ordered myself a BM6400-18E for about a third of the price.

(Not my photo)

I'm quite looking forward to receiving this one.

I've had both the BM6400 and the updated version of the Mears, also titanium, but not monocoque case.
    http://tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191021

The PMD256 is a class above the cheaper version, superb finish, solar panels not visible, second hand always on marks etc etc. Worth the extra cash for me.

Perhaps this would be of interest to someone?

http://wusmob.com/wus/oldest626681/FS_R ... rk_Edition

I have no connection to the seller; I simply found it during a Google search.

Much as I like the look and idea of the Promaster Tough (especially its one-piece titanium case), I don't think that, to me, it's worth the premium. To scratch the itch, so to speak, I ordered myself a BM6400-18E for about a third of the price.

I'm quite looking forward to receiving this one.
    I have followed the same route as you a number of times - a real Ray Mears is too expensive so I'll settle for a BM6400. However each time I look at the BM6400 I think, I can't live with that, the hands are way too thin for the size of the numbers. And so I don't buy and cycle continues.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinions when it arrives, especially in comparison to the SKX007, which I know very well and like very much.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

That is very nice.
    I have wanted one of these for a while, but I just know that I will not wear it much.
    Have used the same watch for a while now and almost exclusively that.
    I can not see that changing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94

Very nice watch too. I would certainly have no problem with that.

But 'Japan Domestic' market only and 'Yellowstone National Park' edition - am I the only one who finds that strangely funny ... maybe even bizarre :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint
    I have followed the same route as you a number of times - a real Ray Mears is too expensive so I'll settle for a BM6400. However each time I look at the BM6400 I think, I can't live with that, the hands are way too thin for the size of the numbers. And so I don't buy and cycle continues.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinions when it arrives, especially in comparison to the SKX007, which I know very well and like very much.
    I also am a massive fan of the SKX007 and wear mine a lot, often over much more expensive watches in my collection.

I agree that - at least in the photos - the hands on the BM6400 are a bit too thin. I also don't especially like the chapter ring. If I still hold that opinion when I actually have it in my hands, I'll likely either sell it or investigate swapping out some parts. Overall I really like the look of it, and as you said, it's a potentially good substitute for the Ray Mears, whose price I think is ridiculous.

You'll definitely hear from me when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

Very nice watch too. I would certainly have no problem with that.

But 'Japan Domestic' market only and 'Yellowstone National Park' edition - am I the only one who finds that strangely funny ... maybe even bizarre :lol:
    Agreed :D

Even still, I thought it may be a good option for someone who wanted a non-pristine example, that they'd be happy to use to knock about with.

:mrgreen:

Quite.

It is a nice watch. I would have no problem with the yellow writing on the dial.

Mt Fuji Edition probably doesn't have the same ring to it :wink:

More info and pics on a thread I started a while ago when I first got mine:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Having owned a BM6400-18E, the one with the promaster logo on the dial and crown with the sapphire glass as a substitute for finding a good Ray Mears, I found it was just not scratching the itch. The Mears and the BM6400 are a million miles apart when it comes to quality and in the flesh nothing like the same watch.

If you like the look of the Mears on a budget get one of the steel tough versions that have the one piece case not the BM6400 :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomer
    Having owned a BM6400-18E, the one with the promaster logo on the dial and crown with the sapphire glass as a substitute for finding a good Ray Mears, I found it was just not scratching the itch. The Mears and the BM6400 are a million miles apart when it comes to quality and in the flesh nothing like the same watch.

If you like the look of the Mears on a budget get one of the steel tough versions that have the one piece case not the BM6400 :)
    Do you know where these are available from?
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Master

Are you talking about one of these:

http://citizen.jp/promaster/lineup/land/562952.html

They're seven hundred Euros. For that price I could have two 'Ray Mears'!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Jack83
    Hi Rick, I bought this one from you... it's a real gem, I still have it and wear/admire it regularly (though not in a very 'mears' context!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hussey

I'm pleased you're still enjoying the watch. I think it was one of the nicest watches I've ever owned but I have to be honest I'm still using the smartphone that I purchased with the proceeds and that's got to be a record for me.

The Citizen was one of those rare watches that really did look good on pretty much anything - although I must admit I had a hell of a time getting the bracelet back on again after trying various combinations. That did put me off experimenting too often.

I think Citizen should make the watch again - perhaps with Atomic Sync capabilities but still using the same materials - I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes.

[quote=Rick Hussey]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack83

Quote Originally Posted by "Rick Hussey":2h9uteo7

I'm pleased you're still enjoying the watch. I think it was one of the nicest watches I've ever owned but I have to be honest I'm still using the smartphone that I purchased with the proceeds and that's got to be a record for me.

The Citizen was one of those rare watches that really did look good on pretty much anything - although I must admit I had a hell of a time getting the bracelet back on again after trying various combinations. That did put me off experimenting too often.

I think Citizen should make the watch again - perhaps with Atomic Sync capabilities but still using the same materials - I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes.[/quote:2h9uteo7]

I totally agree... I wonder if anyone has actually told 'them' how popular it is now.

They're seven hundred Euros. For that price I could have two 'Ray Mears'!
    Of course not that one, they're seven hundred euros!!! I should have mentioned that steel tough one would be second hand like the Mears, I can't remember the model number now but I thought it possibly started with 'BJ', I think Senraw had one pvd'd a few months back.

Here, found the link with the model number http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176765 8)

And it's gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs
    And it's gone...
    The watch is sold yes but I can't help that :? I was merely pointing people who might be interested in a cheaper Mears style watch that there is a steel version with the model number BJ8001-54E as a cheaper alternative to the titanium version as the BM6400 isn't really the watch for scratching the Mears itch at a cheaper price point :)

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a bad remark! More a reflection on the speed these things go at..

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a bad remark! More a reflection on the speed these things go at..
    Sorry, my bad, it's been a long day, no apology needed. I really don't understand why they don't re-introduce the 'tough' range of the Mears era, the simple/functional clear design is what they seem to excel at, Citizen's have got far too fussy for my liking over the last 5yrs or so, shame as they are great watches.

Bought mine about 2 years ago on a Australian auction site, with box some papers.
    Went to a complete overhaul at Citizen in Lisbon.
    Tis is a very confortable watch to wear. Love the titanium monocoque case, with a Hirsch black rubber strap.
    Strange, this is the watch I always come back, after wearing the Rolex's, Omegas, IWC, .....
    Prices : Auction 250,0 Euros, plus transport 50,0 Euros.
    Citizen service : 80,0 Euros
    Total = 380,0 Euros
    It will be very difficult for me to sell it.
    Pedro

Citizen 'Ray Mears'

[...]

They're seven hundred Euros.
    A bit less, about £400 retail. Japanese watch list prices are almost always reduced by exactly 30% at retail.

For £400 with a Duratect Titanium DLC case and bracelet, perpetual calendar, sapphire, and "perfex" movement I think it's not bad at all. My wife has worn it's predecessor for the last 10 years, and despite treating it with utter disdain ( this comes quite naturally to her :-) ) it still looks and operates perfectly.

Paul

Citizen 'Ray Mears'

After following this thread I've decided I want another mears watch.
    A nice one has just been listed on eBay. Will probably go for crazy money as they always do on there!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    [...]

They're seven hundred Euros.
    A bit less, about £400 retail. Japanese watch list prices are almost always reduced by exactly 30% at retail.

For £400 with a Duratect Titanium DLC case and bracelet, perpetual calendar, sapphire, and "perfex" movement I think it's not bad at all. My wife has worn it's predecessor for the last 10 years, and despite treating it with utter disdain ( this comes quite naturally to her :-) ) it still looks and operates perfectly.

Paul
    £400 is more like it. Thanks for the tip.

Citizen 'Ray Mears'

Quote Originally Posted by bigsymo
    After following this thread I've decided I want another mears watch.
    A nice one has just been listed on eBay. Will probably go for crazy money as they always do on there!
    is it yours?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sorry, my bad, it's been a long day, no apology needed. I really don't understand why they don't re-introduce the 'tough' range of the Mears era, the simple/functional clear design is what they seem to excel at, Citizen's have got far too fussy for my liking over the last 5yrs or so, shame as they are great watches.

I do.
    The extras we are sold on to need cost extra = profit.
    The clearest :wink: illustration is sapphire crystal which even AR coated on either side has more light reflection than acrylic wich is also more flexible, easier to polish, acquires a wondefull soft tone over time and is dead cheap to make and replace.
    Ah, I´ve said it; cheap. Watch manufacturers want expensive. Even with the same margin they get more profit on more expensive and the reality is that profit margin increases as the watch gets highed end. That is why :idea:

no its not mine but i have messaged him in the hope that it will be mine soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei

Paul
    If only they made that one available with a perfex multi movement so it would sync in Europe, I'd be all over it. This is one of the nicest designs I've ever seen, but getting one and not being able to use the atomic reception capability seems somewhat silly to me. :?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint

I also am a massive fan of the SKX007 and wear mine a lot, often over much more expensive watches in my collection.

I agree that - at least in the photos - the hands on the BM6400 are a bit too thin. I also don't especially like the chapter ring. If I still hold that opinion when I actually have it in my hands, I'll likely either sell it or investigate swapping out some parts. Overall I really like the look of it, and as you said, it's a potentially good substitute for the Ray Mears, whose price I think is ridiculous.

You'll definitely hear from me when it arrives.
    MurrayMint:

I've had it for a week now.

It's a nice size, and very legible. Timekeeping is pretty much spot-on as one would expect. The glass, though, is completely unprotected and even protrudes half a mm or so above the bezel. This is very subjective, I know, but it just doesn't feel as nice as it looks.

Whoever wrote that the BM6400 is no way to scratch the itch was, I think, correct. So a colleague who is currently on a trip to Japan (a quite handy coincidence) has bought me a PMD56-2951:

By all accounts it's built even better, and the lack of radio sync in Europe is no issue as it's accurate to 5-10 seconds a month. I am quite looking forward to receiving it.

I'm probably going to sell the BM6400 next week or so, so if you'd be interested to try one out please let me know.

I've been trying to find the thread on TZ-UK where someone sent his AP0600-01E to Citizen to be serviced but I'm not having much luck.

Does anyone know what Citizen offer in terms of a service? Mine has some minor scratches from being worn and a little dink from a 'meeting' with a rough surface; will they (in a similar vein to Rolex, Omega, etc) take the time to clean and refinish the watch case? I'll know soon enough because I'll be sending it in on Saturday but was just curious what peoples experience of servicing the Promaster Tough titanium were.

I've been trying to find the thread on TZ-UK where someone sent his AP0600-01E to Citizen to be serviced but I'm not having much luck.

Does anyone know what Citizen offer in terms of a service? Mine has some minor scratches from being worn and a little dink from a 'meeting' with a rough surface; will they (in a similar vein to Rolex, Omega, etc) take the time to clean and refinish the watch case? I'll know soon enough because I'll be sending it in on Saturday but was just curious what peoples experience of servicing the Promaster Tough titanium were.
    I've no direct experience but the green Ray Mears tough I bought was sent off to Citizen to have a new capacitor, crystal and seals fitted by the previous owner. There wasn't any case refinishing and I don't know if that's something that they would do.

Craftsman

Damm it - I'm thinking of getting another one now.

They truly are superb watches. It's a shame that Citizen won't make this style of watch again with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks Carl.

The watching is running VERY well, so if they can't offer a clean up on the case, may forget the service.

I know Titanium cases aren't the easiest to bring back to perfect but I'd like to hope they can offer this service.

Thanks Carl.

The watching is running VERY well, so if they can't offer a clean up on the case, may forget the service.

I know Titanium cases aren't the easiest to bring back to perfect but I'd like to hope they can offer this service.
    You can but ask. Hopefully they can help, though what with their duratect processes I'm not sure how it would work. If it's that bad the other option would perhaps be a new case. I remember seeing one for sale on here a while back from a member who was selling off pretty much a whole collection of Citizen Toughs (what's the plural there I wonder... toughies).

It is just me being fussy; the titanium (or the coating they put on it?) can get minor hairline marks in it and it would be nice to get them brushed out; however, we'll see if it is that easy :drunken:

I didn't see the Promaster Tough parts sale but I guess Citizen could supply one if I really wanted to pay the price.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

I actually have the non Eco Drive version that was a Japanese market only release the calibre number is 4767.

Amazing, this topic is still active.
    Ray Mears, must be a special watch.