• Left

45 77.59%
  • right

13 22.41%

Thread: Left or Right

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Left or Right

Assuming most of us are right handed, Which wrist should you wear your pride and joy on, and what are your reasons for your choice?

or just answer the poll.

Should be interesting
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Left (and I'm right handed). That's the way I was shown to wear a watch when I was a kid, so that's the way I've worn them ever since.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Left, and I'm left handed. Just doesnt feel 'natural' on the right...

yes I voted with the majority but it reminded me of a story told to me by a friend that has worked for Ford and is well up the 'tree' managing a plant on mainland Europe say no more nudge nudge, it involved a competitor US manufacturer with Euro ties :shock: and while not fully able to verify the story it goes like this, market share had fallen across the range of products and the CEO/VP whatever called all the managent to a crunch meeting, something tells me he was european, he started the meeting by asking everyone to remove any watches they were wearing and place them in front of them. Heads were going to have to roll, after explaining the plan to turn company fortunes around he asked everyone to put their watches back on but on the 'wrong' wrist and they were to wear them like this untill such time as the situation was deemed to be resolved officially or they got the chop, logic being that everytime they went to look at the time... oh oh watch not there... look on the other wrist... oh oh the company is still in the crap, have I still got a job? as I say not verified but if I have left my watch off for some reason it is amazing how often I look at the time.. or not lol

Hi

Right handed and always worn a watch on the right hand...

Thanks
    deano

Thomas Reid
    Right handed, left wearing. When I was younger (before my 4 year pocket watch phase), I wore them crystal down.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I'm right handed and wear my watch on the (conventional) left wrist. Again, I was taught to do so when I was young and the habit stuck. I was also taught never to wear a watch crystal down as it would scratch - sorry Bob but it still feels wrong...

Simon

Journeyman
    Right handed and watch on left wrist because you can continue working with the one and look at the time with the other - opposite applies for lefthanders I guess :scratch:

Master
    Left handed right wrist. The right hand does all the shock inducing activities and is also more likely to get banged against something!
    Cheers,
    Martin

Master
    Right handed-left wristed.

That's the way I got used, and being the creature of habit that I am, it stcuk with as long as I can remember wearing a watch.

I do put my watch on the right wrist sometimes, but not for too long. I find that when wearing the watch on my right wrist, my right hand becomes slightly "dumb" and keeps on knocking to things, like tables, doors, door knobs etc (very bad for the watch unfortunately)

VA

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisholm
    Left handed right wrist. The right hand does all the shock inducing activities and is also more likely to get banged against something!
    Cheers,
    Martin
    Interesting, when boxing, if one is right handed, one tends to lead with the left, saving the right for those special occasions. The left probes and defends, so probably gets more shocks. Of course, one generally doesn't wear a watch when boxing. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Wear watch on left.

Born left-handed, switched to right by mother at the suggestion of the catholic nuns :evil: , so am semi-ambidextrous (most things done right-handed, but some things natural lefty).

Taught to wear watch on left (first watch @ 6 years old). But, years later tried it on right-wrist. BUT this was in highschool, and the watch was a Seiko 6309 diver. So damn heavy and big it didn't make sense to be swinging around that much weight while playing baseball or basketball, etc. so it went back on the left-side - and stayed.

Right handed, left wrist - t'aint natural any other way.

My wife is a "right/right" person though - must be because she's French!

Cheers,

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    well done Deano42, I think you and me are in the minority. :roll:
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    I'm left handed and wear my watch on the left wrist :D

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    not a surprising result so far.
    I am right handed and wear my watches on my right wrist, and this is the reason why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When I first started wearing watches, from about the age of 6 or 7, my father told me wear it on my right wrist as I was putting it on my left.
    But dad, thats means I have to take it of to wind it up, if its on my left I can do it without taking it of, being right handed.
    You should never wind your watch when your wearing it as you could damage the windind stem.
    So, there you have it, to stop me windind my watch while still wearing it I have always worn a watch on my right wrist.
    At the moment it is carring a vintage Seiko 691838 chrono with black face and brown sub dials and I must say its a corker.
    Sorry no pics as I dont know how???????????????????????????
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Right hand. Feels more natural to me, and the crown has more protection. Used to wear it on the inside of the wrist, but working on aircraft soon cured that (yes, I know we weren't supposed to wear them and, yes, I did used to take my rings off 8) )

Blog Entries
    Right handed, watch worn on the left wrist crystal up

anything else just does not feel right.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Right handed and wear on the right. My Father wears his this way so I followed his example and my Daughter follows mine.

Master
    Left handed. Always wore a watch on the left too, until a few months ago when it occurred to me that a lot of desk marks on the "far" side of my bracelets might be avoided if I wore the watch on the non-writing side. Fair enough, the watch will take a few knocks initially, but it only takes a week or so for it to feel totally natural on the "wrong" wrist!

Another aspect: I often find it difficult to get a bracelet adjusted to the perfect size. Adjustment by one hole on the clasp always leaves the watch slightly loose or slightly tight. But because our left and right wrists are always slightly different in size it is possible that what was never quite right on one wrist can be perfect on the other.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches
    1a) With your digital camera set to "macro" take a pic with the resolution (no. of pixels) set to the lowest setting, often 640 x 512 or 512 x 480 OR,
    1b) Take a picture with everything set to auto and the highest resolution (with this method, the watch should be smaller in the viewfinder), and then crop your picture with photo-editing software so that it comes out about 6" wide when the view is set to 100% on the computer screen.
    (some digital cameras have poor macro (close-up) functions and your image may come out blurred especially if you try to fill the viewfinder by zooming. In which case, you could use method 1b instead, or a combination of both)

2) Save your image - make sure it's a JPEG file, xxxxx.jpg

3) Now, you have to put the picture somewhere on the Internet. If you're computer savvy and have FTP access to a server - then you know what to do. Or, if you have Yahoo, use their photo on-line savings feature. Or, subscribe to a picture-hosting website.

4) Once your picture is saved on-line, go have a look at it. Right-click on it, scroll down to "properties" and left-click. In the dialog you see an image location starting with http://. Highlight this whole location address (URL) and copy it (Ctrl-C). You usually have to keep the mouse down and move it all the way to the right to get the whole URL highlighted.

5) Now you can paste the URL into your post, then highlight it, then click on the "Img" button at the top of the posting form. OR, if you know HTML, use the "img" element, which allows you to size the picture a bit more if necessary.

6) Try a preview - your picture should come up!

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    (yes, I know we weren't supposed to wear them and, yes, I did used to take my rings off 8) )
    When I was in the Air Force my eyesight began to degrade very quickly, no explination. Well I couldn't fly any longer but only had 6 months left on my commitment. Instead of finding me a job in anouther squadron my squadron commander pulled some strings and got me to stay with our squadron as a maintanace officer. They had an opening in the weapons shop and thats were they stuck me. A bunch of real crazy guys work with some very dangerous stuff. Anyway I was only in this position for about a week when this happened. One of the crews was doing a regular teardown/rebuild of a 20mm Vulcan gatling gun. They were almost done Weapon reasembled feed and drive system attached a few hundered dummy rounds installed. Last thing to do is hook it up to a hydrolic cart and spin the weapon up to full speed. While the barrells are spining at a god awful speed we watched in horror as one of the crew members reached out and touched the retaining ring that holds the six barrels together. A tiny burr on the ring caught his wedding ring and ripped his finger off and threw it across the room ( he also was flung a bit). Blood is everywhere, one of the crew found the finger while anouther put compression bandages on the stump. We carried him to the station wagon we had and raced to the base hospital. He was very lucky and they were able to reattache it with very little loss of mobility, unfortunatly he received a dishonorable discharge for damageing goverment property, his hand.

Master
    he received a dishonorable discharge for damaging goverment property, his hand
    You serious?

Staying with the grisly, a neighbour of mine once saw a fellow worked in Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast being sliced in two by a (forget the proper term) long spiral of waste metal that was produced by a very large horizontal lathe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    . . . unfortunatly he received a dishonorable discharge for damageing goverment property, his hand.
    Yep, in the British military, self-inflicted injury (including accidentally) was also a chargeable offense :shock:

Ted

Master
    Blog Entries
    Left handed, wear on right hand. My main hobby is pistol shooting, anything that could be classed as support for the shooting hand/wrist is frowned upon/banned, including watch straps.

Can't decide on crystal up or down. Crystal up is best when aorking at a desk, but working on the shop floor, crystal down has it's advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Right handed, left wearing. When I was younger (before my 4 year pocket watch phase), I wore them crystal down.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Strange you should say that ... as a young teenager I also use to wear my watches on the underside. I actually remember people commenting and asking me about it but I cannot remember why I was doing it. In my late teens I acquired some skin-marks and ever since I've been wearing it propa to hide or expose the wrist-mark selectively.

(Ming's pic)

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Left hand, crystal up. Because I wear a gold chain on my right wrist. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    1a) With your digital camera set to "macro" take a pic with the resolution (no. of pixels) set to the lowest setting, often 640 x 512 or 512 x 480 OR,
    1b) Take a picture with everything set to auto and the highest resolution (with this method, the watch should be smaller in the viewfinder), and then crop your picture with photo-editing software so that it comes out about 6" wide when the view is set to 100% on the computer screen.
    (some digital cameras have poor macro (close-up) functions and your image may come out blurred especially if you try to fill the viewfinder by zooming. In which case, you could use method 1b instead, or a combination of both)

2) Save your image - make sure it's a JPEG file, xxxxx.jpg

3) Now, you have to put the picture somewhere on the Internet. If you're computer savvy and have FTP access to a server - then you know what to do. Or, if you have Yahoo, use their photo on-line savings feature. Or, subscribe to a picture-hosting website.

4) Once your picture is saved on-line, go have a look at it. Right-click on it, scroll down to "properties" and left-click. In the dialog you see an image location starting with http://. Highlight this whole location address (URL) and copy it (Ctrl-C). You usually have to keep the mouse down and move it all the way to the right to get the whole URL highlighted.

5) Now you can paste the URL into your post, then highlight it, then click on the "Img" button at the top of the posting form. OR, if you know HTML, use the "img" element, which allows you to size the picture a bit more if necessary.

6) Try a preview - your picture should come up!
    thankyou expat, all sorted. now all i need to do is learn to take some decent pics
    Cheers,

Ben

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K
    Wear watch on left.

Born left-handed, switched to right by mother at the suggestion of the catholic nuns :evil: , so am semi-ambidextrous (most things done right-handed, but some things natural lefty).
    I wear mine on my right - also born left handed and made to switch when I broke all my fingers on my left hand - never seen Catholic nuns & priests so happy when I had to switch hands. They kept telling me I was possessed by the horned one as I was a leftie! And constantly tried to get me to change [even got my mother to try], usually by making me sit on my left hand all day. Don't you just love the Catholic religion - I do so much that I'm now a born again Athesist!

So now I'm like yourself, semi-ambidextrous, don't write great with either hand (although well enough to gain a couple of degrees), but when at the PC my left hand does most of the typing (well 3 fingers compared to 2 on my right).

Cheers! /vince ..
    /vince ..

Left-handed, wear on right wrist. I (happily) resisted all attempts by the Catholic nuns to change me into a "rightie", and now find that I am fairly ambidextrous. Wearing your watch (crystal up, thank you) on the non-dominant hand just makes more sense to me. And this (right-hand wear) configuration does indeed afford greater protection to the crown. (Those Omega helium valves at ten o'clock are likely MORE vulnerable, however!)
    If I am ever lucky enough to snag a Sinn EZM1 at a reasonable price, I will likely wear it on my left wrist -- better crown/pusher protection, and the light weight of the Ti case will not interfere much with the operation of my dominant hand. (BTW, anybody here willing to part with one in nice shape for a really good price?) :wink:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    :cry: I am a little disapointed that as of now 380 of you have veiwed my poll and only 45 have voted left or right.

come on, all it takes is 2 clicks of that little thing we call a mouse.

On a seperate note, I have been a member of TZ for 4 days now and I am completely addicted. :laughing3:
    Cheers,

Ben

Grand Master
    The other ones wear watches on both wrists ... your poll did not allow for that. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thomas Reid
    :cry: I am a little disapointed that as of now 380 of you have veiwed my poll and only 45 have voted left or right.

On a seperate note, I have been a member of TZ for 4 days now and I am completely addicted. :laughing3:
    There might be a difference between the number of views, and the number of different people viewing. I.e., some people may have viewed it more than once.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I'm right handed but naturally do a number of things left handed.

I wear my watch on the right hand, and have always found it easier to fasten a strap with my left hand.

Ta,

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    The other ones wear watches on both wrists ... your poll did not allow for that. :wink:
    That's what kept me from clicking

Left and crystal up at work and other situations where I have to look normal.
    I add my bike watch on the right arm when riding.
    I have now conditioned my family to think that it's OK that Daddy wears two watches; he probably has a good reason :P

Cheers,
    Gert

Blog Entries
    My left hand. Although I do understand that most people wear it on the left hand regardless, my grandfather did, so so will I.

For over 30 years I'm wearing my watch on my left wrist.
    I was told so by my parents.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

There might be a difference between the number of views, and the number of different people viewing. I.e., some people may have viewed it more than once.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    good point.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Yes, this is my fourth or fifth time viewing this page since I voted. It gets flagged as having new posts so I click on it again.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Yes, this is my fourth or fifth time viewing this page since I voted. It gets flagged as having new posts so I click on it again.
    Yep, me too.
    Dave E

Grand Master
    Someone said that watches are jewellery for men. I normally wear left, but have been known to switch it to the right when I've wanted someone on my right to notice my SMP :shock: :lol:
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Master
    . . . unfortunatly he received a dishonorable discharge for damageing goverment property, his hand.
    Yep, in the British military, self-inflicted injury (including accidentally) was also a chargeable offense :shock:

Ted
    When I was in the British Army. Two of us were terribly sunburnt after a weekend on a beach on leave chasing women. In spite of our agony we knew that we dare not go sick as we would have been charged with self inflicted injury!
    Cheers,
    Martin

I've been considering the crystal down/crystal up dimension as well.

I consistently wear my watches crystal-up, although I am quite taken with the idea of crystal-down.

When I wear crystal-down, it has to be a small watch, 36mm or less.

On the occasions when I've worn a watch on the right, it is most comfortable crystal-down (and therefore with a smaller watch).

No particular conclusions, just some observations.
    Dave E

Craftsman
    Right-handed, left wrist. Never even tried to put the watch on my right wrist. This idea just seems odd to me.

Master

Ted
    My fiancee's mother was in the US Navy in the early '60s, and her <u>then</u> husband beat her and threw her down some stairs, breaking her arm. State and local law at the time didn't really recognize wife-battery as wrong, it was just considered something "between" husband and wife, so local law enforcement wouldn't do anything about it. :evil: BUT, the navy took a dim view of damaging US property, and the husband was promptly put into a federal prison - followed by the divorce. :twisted:

My fiancee's mother was in the US Navy in the early '60s, and her then husband beat her and threw her down some stairs, breaking her arm. State and local law at the time didn't really recognize wife-battery as wrong, it was just considered something "between" husband and wife, so local law enforcement wouldn't do anything about it. :evil: BUT, the navy took a dim view of damaging US property, and the husband was promptly put into a federal prison. :twisted:
    Good! :twisted:
    Dave E

Craftsman
    Right handed... But wear my watches on my right wrist... Just seems to be more comfortable!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Mike

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    O.K I think this has run its cousre now and I must say there are more rifht wrist wearers out there than I expected.
    I always look to see which wrist somewhere wears their watch and its a rear occuance to it on the right.

As you know I am a righty and always will be, it just has to be that way.

However you wear you watch, always enjoy the fact that you have something of beauty on your wrist, which you can look at whenever you desire.

Thankyou all

Ben
    Cheers,

Ben