closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fortis Watches - Reliable ?

Craftsman

Fortis Watches - Reliable ?

Hello,

I thinking of adding to my collection and buying a Fortis B-42 watch (either Marinemaster or Official Cosmonauts). I have had my fingers burnt with a Glycine Airman SST06 which has been back to the manufacturer on a couple of occasions due to the fact that it no longer maintained time (both times under warranty), and I wondered if Fortis had a good or bad reputation for reliability ? Whilst I like the look of my Glycine watch, it feels like it won't be long before it revisits the manufacturer again ! Am I likely to fair any better with a Fortis B-42 ?

Master

Re: Fortis Watches - Reliable ?

Rock solid watches. Great build quality and not bad looks either.
    I've quite fancied a few from their range. The Sachs watch was cool, as was the Spaceleader (used in a Sci-Fi movie...no idea of the name).
    They have been around forever, buying out some of the original Harwood movements in the 1920's and crafting watches around them. I might be off base with this, but I think they were in league with Breitling for a while with that.
    As far as aviator watches, these have to be as good as Breitling - although not chronometer rated movements.
    Check out the 2012 'Mars' 500 edition B42, its pretty cool - a Bit bell & Ross and a bit out there on its own.

I have 2 of the B42 range, I can only speak for them but they have both been faultless having had one for 12 months and the other 18. Just had 1 serviced as it was 4/5 years old and timekeeping had started to wander a bit but is now spot on since Monday with a little self regulation.

Good solid pieces, WR 200m, great crystal almost invisible AR both sides, comfortable bracelets, strap changes can be a little akward, 1 I have is easy the other is a pig as Ive heard others mention before. Residuals not great from new but second hand prices seem to hold well. Would I buy another - yes, probably a MarineMaster with the new bezel.

Im sorry to hear about your Glycine though as Ive heard very good things about them, maybe you just got a dud

Heres my Pilot Pro GMT

Id say go for the Fortis but probably used I doubt you’ll be disappointed

No more, no less reliable than others.

They use generic movements.

I have had several and they were all just fine.

Further more, I find that Fortis makes very good looking watches.

A very underrated brand.

Go for it.

I've only had one, but it was built like a tank. Standard ETA movements and excellent build quality, well worth looking into.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

I'd say go for it - I have had 2 x B-42 chronos including the one jgeddes pictures above; still have the Ti version with the Lemania 5100, which I love.

Bomb proof.

I've got two Fortis watches, and echo others that they are very robust and reliable. I have a Cosmonaut day/date that is about seven years old and runs beautifully.

regards,
    Nick

Craftsman

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. You've given me all the assurance that I need. I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks again.

Cosmonauts Day/Date in space 8)
    (never happened in real I think :lol: )

Had a few I think they are very nice watches and would have one above Oris or Longines etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

The brand has a lot going for it.

It's quite surprising how under represented they are around the forums.

Cheers
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by witti
    These are the divers watches Cosmonauts were given for their underwater training before going into space. The Cosmonaut chronographs were the ones they wore on the space missions.

regards,
    Nick

Master

The OP referred to the B-42 model, though the older 39mm Cosmonaut is a nice little watch. I liked the size but ultimately decided the GMT function on mide was a bit compromised - in any case I prefer the Lemania 5100 type display - and sold it on...

what is the difference between Fortis, Oris and Tudor? i get them all confused.

is it true they all occupy that 'no-man's land' of the watch world???? what is the go with these things?

Have you seen there is a nice B42 Cosmonaut on SC now very similar the the Marine Master

Just to echo everyone else - Outstanding watches. I had a B42 Pilot Pro Chrono from new, and it was lovely. Stood a bit high off the wrist, but build quality was very high. Timekeeping was always within COSC and the Fortis customer service is really good - they did a product recall on the early screw-down crown B-42s, as the large crown meant you could really over-tighten them and risk damaging the threads. (They wrote to me, paid the shipping costs both ways, and fitted a new push-fit 200m rated crown.). The movements are the higher end of the ETA scale too, if that matters.
    2nd hand prices are good, and there are a few UK ADs for viewing/servicing issues etc. It is also the only watch my Wife misses, and says it was the most attrative i've owned.

If one of the Ti B-42 Cosmonaut Chronos came up for sale (do you hear me, Happy Jack!), i'd consider flipping my GMT MasterII for it!

Master

I have got 2 B42 models - a divers chrono with blue bezel and a marine master - these have been very reliable and the bracelets are very comfortable as well.
    I have a Lemania Cosmo Chrono ( 39 mm model ), that has been a bit of a jinx watch though.... It went back once to Chrono Master as the chrono hands did not return fully when re set.. A while after I got it back I noticed that the movement seemed a bit loose in the case - you could feel it when hand winding.. Shortly after that it jammed completely.. Got it fixed by a local watch repairer for v reasonable £95 as i did not want to post away again to Sheffield.. Then one of the rivet pins sheared off, got that fixed by same fellow.. Was ok for a while till I caught it on edge of washing machine and smashed the crystal .. Got a new sapphire glass put in locally for £90 but no ar on it - original would be too dear and Fortis wanted to do a another complete service.. Then the bezel played up and needs to sent away as my local guy cannot get the bits for it - arrgh.. So it has been a bit of a lemon but I was heavy handed in smashing the crystal.. Great size though so I do intend to keep it - its nice and light for a chrono...

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Quote Originally Posted by witti
    These are the divers watches Cosmonauts were given for their underwater training before going into space. The Cosmonaut chronographs were the ones they wore on the space missions.

regards,
    Nick

Great info, thanks! All the photos and documents I've seen about Official Cosmonauts in space were showing the chrono version only.
    Good to know these were used also (even if training).

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison
    what is the difference between Fortis, Oris and Tudor?
    They are different watch companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison
    is it true they all occupy that 'no-man's land' of the watch world????
    No, it's not true.

Cheers :)

This one is mine (same model as Happyjack)

And I have had several of the smaller Cosmo chronos too (8 in all, 3 that I actually wore).

Love it. And it is bombproof as far as I can tell.
    Their only fault is that the earlier ones had atrocious lume. Really bad.
    The crown recall on these and similar early B42s was (as previously stated) because the crown has such a large diameter that owners could easily strip the thread, so really you could call it an owner-derived fault.
    Mine was screwdown and clearly owned by persons with some mechanical sympathy, as it was fine until it fell into the hands of a very cack-handed watch repairer when going for a relume. Only after he had cocked it up did I need to get the replacement option fitted.
    D

Journeyman

Russian Spacemen wore them and they are as hard as nails. Sold my B-42 Marinemaster some 2 years back and I still regret it today. I couldn't get use to the numbered dials.....I'm an idiot.

gmayles

I have a 1992 stratoliner west in space that has recently developed a problem with the chronograph hand, that doesn't get past 22 seconds! Only acquired it around a year ago, probably needs a service. Great watch (although trying to find out the watch's history from Fortis got me nowhere).

First post btw!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Further more, I find that Fortis makes very good looking watches.
    Yes, great designs 8)
    Had my Spacematic for a few years now & it's been fine.
    I had the datewheel replaced because it didn't quite line up with day.
    The lume's nothing to write home about but the overall finishing is excellent :mrgreen:

Another chance to flash some images of my B42 chrono. It is a great piece and I would recommend the brand to anyone who is considering them. I haven't been able to post some of the closer shots as my pixel dimensions are suitable but the lume dots at the five minute markers are like little pearls and the lume at night is easily the most visible of all my watches.

Hope that helps! 8)