closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you drive?

Hybrid View

Beautiful car, I've always fancied one of those but even when they were available for peanuts the fuel costs put me off!

That one's a cracker though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Beautiful car, I've always fancied one of those but even when they were available for peanuts the fuel costs put me off!

That one's a cracker though!
    Cheers. It certainly won't be as economical as the everyday diesels we drive but then again, I don't anticipate more than 2-3,000 miles per year at most.

Just treat the other half to this for her birthday. She fancied the Fiat 500 but there was no way I was ever going to drive one of those. Quite skeptical about the reviews regarding the fun factor but I can't stop pinching the keys................what a hoot to drive.

What do you drive?

Plastic car from Norfolk.

Last edited by bitfield; 2nd June 2014 at 14:22. Reason: ...

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Plastic car from Norfolk.

Have you had it long? How do you like it? I have the original Elan, but have often been tempted by an M100. Green really suits it.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Have you had it long? How do you like it? I have the original Elan, but have often been tempted by an M100. Green really suits it.
    I've had it a fair few years now (got the repair bills to prove it). It's a great driver's car, with a power to weight ratio that puts a smile on your face every time you blip the turbo joining the motorway. The handling is the best of any car I've ever driven, especially on winding Cornish roads where it seems entirely at home.

The Japanese engine and drivetrain never go wrong, but everything else constantly breaks, falls off, leaks, comes loose, or, on one memorable occasion, catches fire.

I'd love to drive the 60s car, what's that like?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I've had it a fair few years now (got the repair bills to prove it). It's a great driver's car, with a power to weight ratio that puts a smile on your face every time you blip the turbo joining the motorway. The handling is the best of any car I've ever driven, especially on winding Cornish roads where it seems entirely at home.

The Japanese engine and drivetrain never go wrong, but everything else constantly breaks, falls off, leaks, comes loose, or, on one memorable occasion, catches fire.

I'd love to drive the 60s car, what's that like?
    Every word you said could be applied to my car (it's a '67 Elan Coupe S/E, but I've had the engine built to give 145bhp, so it'll keep up with an Elise), except the drivetrain also goes wrong! It's a fabulous car, but needs constant maintenance.

I really want a more modern classic Lotus for the days when a '60s car isn't appropriate, so a Mk1 Elise or the M100 Elan have been on the list for a while. But I spent so much money on the Elan last year that I've had a hard time justifying another "fun" car.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I really want a more modern classic Lotus for the days when a '60s car isn't appropriate, so a Mk1 Elise or the M100 Elan have been on the list for a while. But I spent so much money on the Elan last year that I've had a hard time justifying another "fun" car.
    You probably know there's an M100 forum:

http://forum.lotuselancentral.com/index.php

You have to be careful with forums though as they tend to end up making you spend money on things...

Very nice, the steering wheel looks great - is it the RS?

The car is a C2 manual.
    The standard steering wheels on 993's were considered by some to be a bit 'puny' so many owners installed these beefier black Porsche
    steering wheels as did the previous owner of my car....I don't know the exact Porsche model reference for such a steering wheel.

To be honest I would rather mine had been left with the original steering wheel because it's a pain in the arse MOT time-
    evidently if a car left the factory with an airbag it now has to still have the airbag to pass the MOT and these sportier black Porsche
    steering wheels (unlike the original 993 steering wheels) don't have an airbag.
    My closest OPC wanted £750 plus labour to install an original airbag steering wheel just to pass the MOT- luckily another garage was more forgiving.

Always listen to your dad!

Rule number one. And totally ignored by all children of whatever age!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Always listen to your dad!

Rule number one. And totally ignored by all children of whatever age!
    Haha exactly! We had a fair few 'moments' during the build, it felt a bit like Orange County Choppers at a few points but we got there in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Haha exactly! We had a fair few 'moments' during the build, it felt a bit like Orange County Choppers at a few points but we got there in the end.
    What engine did you use, It has to be V8 and preferably a proper one not a Rover LOL. It's the law!

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    What engine did you use, It has to be V8 and preferably a proper one not a Rover LOL. It's the law!
    Haha we didn't use a proper one unfortunately! It's a 3.5 litre V8 from a Range Rover, with a TVR gearbox. We rebuilt the engine entirely and fitted high lift cams and various street performance parts, including a big carburettor so it sounds quite good! There's very little by way of sound deadening and the exhausts flow quite freely, when it was tested mid-range the sound was just over 100 decibels at each exhaust pipe. The last time we had it tested the engine was producing around 150 bhp at the wheels which isn’t bad given the car weighs about 850 kilograms.

I think you're right that American V8 makes sense and is probably a more natural fit but we liked the Rover for ease of parts and working on, and the fact it's aluminium so very light. Technically the Rover V8 started out as a Buick block as far as I’m aware does have a tenuous link with the US!

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Haha we didn't use a proper one unfortunately! It's a 3.5 litre V8 from a Range Rover, with a TVR gearbox. We rebuilt the engine entirely and fitted high lift cams and various street performance parts, including a big carburettor so it sounds quite good! There's very little by way of sound deadening and the exhausts flow quite freely, when it was tested mid-range the sound was just over 100 decibels at each exhaust pipe. The last time we had it tested the engine was producing around 150 bhp at the wheels which isn’t bad given the car weighs about 850 kilograms.

I think you're right that American V8 makes sense and is probably a more natural fit but we liked the Rover for ease of parts and working on, and the fact it's aluminium so very light. Technically the Rover V8 started out as a Buick block as far as I’m aware does have a tenuous link with the US!
    LOL it sounds as though you have made the best of a bad job then! Really only joking , Nothing much wrong with the Rover ( as you say Buick ) but it's just the chevies are one of the best engines ever built in my opinion,And so many bits it's untrue you can basically do what you want given the budget, And they don't break easilly, Only probs I remember with the Rover were ---- did not like dirty oil one bit, Result cams that ended up round and lifters tapping,Lol,And was that the engine with the central V cover/manifold that leaked a bit . but generally a. Sound motor and you seem to have thought it through, Though sometimes I think it can be a bad idea to push some engines too far IE when going from say 3.5 as far as 4.2 it can bring reliability problems, The old Triumph 2000 engine was brilliant but when pushed to 2500 became a poor engine, But I do love a V8 and most are so quick they can't really be thrashed for long periods, You do have a stunning car there, Love the color , Unsure on stripes ??? Maybe a subtle silver and only about a foot wide for each one .?? Only kiddin.
    Last edited by fishman307; 18th June 2014 at 16:37.

Master
    You boys have too much Money :-)
    Mondeo mk2 estate 2.5v6, year 2000 w-reg' 30 mpg (mixed) 142,000 on the clock, valued at circa £400
    This is what you want!!!!!

Master
    Agreed, M badges should only be on cars with a Motorsport chassis number.

Banned
    The M is to BMW what the Ghia, or Zetec is to Ford these days. It's simply a trim level.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    The M is to BMW what the Ghia, or Zetec is to Ford these days. It's simply a trim level.
    So what's the equivalent of the illustrious Ghia X

z

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    So what's the equivalent of the illustrious Ghia X

z
    Its gone all Titanium this and that now...

Blog Entries
    Its gone all Titanium this and that now...
    Indeed - the TITANIUM X - sounds like a Geek's Strip Club

z

Craftsman
    My steed:

Blog Entries
    If you rate suspension and gearbox as 'trim' so be it....

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    If you rate suspension and gearbox as 'trim' so be it....
    It's becoming more an aspirational badge like the Audi S-line where they stiffen the suspension and change the seats. Which is why you see loads of M and M Power badged cars on the road these days, that have never been near the M Division. Still it sells cars.

Good choice of colour too Ingenioren, Estoril is one of my favourites, assuming it is that colour.

I don't believe the gearbox is any different in M Sport models. I've got the 8 speed sport auto in my non M Sport BMW

Journeyman
    Picked up this old girl last weekend, 1987 420SL.
    Not my first choice of colour but condition wise much better than anything else I've seen.
    Makes a really nice noise on kick down but very smooth when cruising. Likes a drink though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    It's becoming more an aspirational badge like the Audi S-line where they stiffen the suspension and change the seats. Which is why you see loads of M and M Power badged cars on the road these days, that have never been near the M Division. Still it sells cars.

Good choice of colour too Ingenioren, Estoril is one of my favourites, assuming it is that colour.

I don't believe the gearbox is any different in M Sport models. I've got the 8 speed sport auto in my non M Sport BMW
    Strangely enough, at the 'M' day BMW had at Goodwood on Thursday, I was commenting on the Gran Coupe M6 'Liquid Metal Silver' colour (a 4500 option !) and was told mine is the only Estoril GC in the UK, as was a special order for the dealer principal, as it is now a shade darker, 'San Marino' or 'Deepsea blue'.
    Of all the various cars I have owned, never received so many compliments on the colour combo !

Master
    My current car (until the new one arrives).

A couple of weeks ago my Father let me know he was changing his 13 plate Skoda Superb Elegance 2.0 TDI CR 170PS DSG DPF for a Skoda Yeti Elegance. He offered to let me buy his it from him and he'd trade in my 62 plate Superb SE Plus 1.6 TDI CR 105PS DPF. Since his Superb was 6 months newer, had 14000 fewer miles on the clock, a lot better equipped and more powerful (61% increase!) I said yes. He let me have it for what the garage would have given him. I picked it up last weekend and am very pleased with it.

Perfect one car solution (the one on the left) is now sold to make way for a two car solution. Freelander for the family and the one on the right for me...

Master
    Sad but true

Master
    Ford have their 'ST' designation for their high performance models these days.

Must admit though it does look better with the H and the I missing, LOL.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    Ford have their 'ST' designation for their high performance models these days.
    Not forgetting the rebirth of the RS.

As a few mates here will remember, I had a line green variant delivered upon launch. Have to say, it was a pure hoot!

Geometry correction

Although the car is new, a check at Center Gravity showed it had been delivered a little way off factory settings so here it is getting put right; with tyres at £350 a corner it makes no sense not to though rear wheel steer complicates matters slightly.

Looks in great condition. Welcome to the R107 club

Journeyman
    Thanks Jon, lets hope so. Nice thing is the wife is actually quite taken with it, which always helps

Mine is in for a full spa treatment at the moment with wings, sill, seals and a full repaint !

My other money pit

This is now my car, as it was, racing in 1968. I bought it in 2009 from the guy you can see driving.

This was it just after I picked it up from the docks, 40 years in a damp detroit garage had taken there toll. You can just see my son behind the wheel. He's a lot taller now!!

And this is it now, well actually it's moved on a fair bit since this was taken. It has all the suspension, steering and brakes fitted so I can roll it in and out of the garage. All I need to do now is wiring loom, plumb the brakes, fuel lines and tank, fit the race seat, harness, lights, instruments, fire extinguisher, rollover bar...... hmm bit more than a weekends work then!!

Craftsman
    Nissan Qashqai for the boring stuff and a slightly more involving Renault Sport Clio 182 for a more spirited drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post
    This is now my car, as it was, racing in 1968. I bought it in 2009 from the guy you can see driving.

I like the look of that. What is it ? Ginetta ?

EDIT :

Ginetta G4 series 1 ?
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 1st July 2014 at 12:41.

Spot on, there are a few series 2's skidding around race circuits in historic racing but not many series 1's (only one other that I know of, currently in the USA). I hope Lord March knows a thing or 2 about Ginetta's... or maybe I'm just dreaming ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post

This was it just after I picked it up from the docks, 40 years in a damp detroit garage had taken there toll. You can just see my son behind the wheel. He's a lot taller now!!

And this is it now, well actually it's moved on a fair bit since this was taken. It has all the suspension, steering and brakes fitted so I can roll it in and out of the garage. All I need to do now is wiring loom, plumb the brakes, fuel lines and tank, fit the race seat, harness, lights, instruments, fire extinguisher, rollover bar...... hmm bit more than a weekends work then!!
    Very nice job. From my Ginetta days (ex Chris/Alison Davis g15) that will be a "round tube" g4 then??
    Goat

Journeyman
    Can't seem to get a picture in but I'm driving a 135i at the minute and absolutely loving it

Blog Entries
    ]

New addition today

Mine. Bought in April to replace L322 Range Rover that had done 160,000 miles.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post

Mine. Bought in April to replace L322 Range Rover that had done 160,000 miles.
    Seems to be a lot of Disco 3 owners on here. I will only sell mine to buy a 4 or RR

This when it's wet

This when it's sunny

Journeyman
    This Toyota from 13 years ago:

As of Friday, a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As of next Saturday... this !