closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More Restoration Work by Brendan

More Restoration Work by Brendan

Some might recall that I posted a thread not long ago about a two-hander Baume & Mercier watch fitted with a BM 17001 (B&M's version of the Peseux/ETA 7001) that I had acquired from eBay: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...me-amp-Mercier

The stem was seized and the watch was generally in need of some TLC:

I took the decision to send the watch off to Brendan along with an Omega ladies watch, also a two-hander, fitted with Omega's 620 movement that I had also picked up from eBay and that my wife had taken a fancy to. This watch was working but was running very fast, and again looked long overdue for a service.

Brendan had already told me that he had access to parts for both movements, so I packed them up on a Wednesday and sent them off to him just before I left for a week's vacation.

The following Monday I had an email from Brendan letting me know that both watches were, indeed, repairable. Then a couple of days later another email letting me know that the work had been completed and specifying the parts that had needed replacing.

With the B&M both the stem and the set lever were rusted. In addition the set lever spring was broken, a winding wheel had been replaced upside down, and the cabochon crown had lost it's dust-proof piston, so really in quite a state. With the crystal, being an unusual shape, Brendan had polished and re-cemented it. Along with a cleaning and oiling of the movement Brendan had then carefully cleaned and polished the case.

The Omega also had a damaged set lever spring and needed a fresh glass, which Brendan sourced. In addition the watch was cleaned and oiled and the case was lightly polished.

As I was still away on vacation I had to wait for my return at the weekend to transfer the (very reasonable) cost of the work to Brendan, and having done this on the Bank Holiday Monday Brendan then posted the watches back to me on Tuesday, arriving Wednesday morning.

I unpacked the parcel and was absolutely delighted with the watches. Both look incredible. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the Baume now absolutely sparkles through the clear glass, and the polished case catches and reflects the light with a lustre that was completely missing before.

So they looked great, but what about the timekeeping? I wound them both, set them using my PRS-18Q COSC and left them to run. The next day I checked them again and was amazed that - notwithstanding the absence of a second hand - both were absolutely spot on timing wise. I shouldn't have been surprised, of course, as I know from previous work that Brendan has done on other watches the effort he invests in getting things just right. When I emailed my complements on the timekeeping Brendan said it is down to the work on the balance wheel and hairspring.

My wife is absolutely thrilled with the Omega, as it gives a really nice alternative to her other watches - a Datejust and a Seiko beater - whilst the Baume & Mercier has already been worn for a trip to the theater, for which its elegant understatement seems to be just about perfect.

A huge thank you to Brendan, as ever, both for his excellent work and great communications. Thoroughly recommended!
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 3rd September 2018 at 10:23.

Great post and the B&M looks very smart.

Craftsman
    Inspirational work there.