closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

No, the only person you are kidding is yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The disagreement has moved to whether ‘fake Rolex’ was common parlance. I am not sure it is to be fair, but I can believe some people use it. The rest is opinion, and we all have one, too, so probably best to agree to disagree.
    I think that most people realise that fake watches are a common thing, and that rolex are the most faked.

But, yeah, pretty much everything on a forum is an opinion.
    It's how you deal with opinions that counts... I hope lm open to them, as opposed to curling up into a ball or setting my spear against them.
    I've changed my mind on so many things on this forum over a decade. If l hadn't ld have wasted ten years of my life in a bubble!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have no dog in this fight, but just to say ordinary people do wear fake or replica watches. When I was working several people had them, people used to bring them back from holidays and one guy even used to take orders when he was going away.

Right or wrong, your average Joe does wear them. Just check out FB Marketplace and see how many are listed.
    Nobody is disputing fake watches are for sale and bought by people.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The disagreement has moved to whether ‘fake Rolex’ was common parlance. I am not sure it is to be fair, but I can believe some people use it. The rest is opinion, and we all have one, too, so probably best to agree to disagree.
    I suppose that all depends on exactly what you mean by 'common parlance'. If you mean by 'most people in the country/world' then I'm sure you're right. If you mean by 'WIS and/or people who have bought them', then you may find it more common than you think. I can cite lots of examples where people have shown me their 'Fake Rolex' and been quite happy to declare as such. In a thread a few years ago I gave a specific example of a very senior account manager who, knowing my interest in watches, brought his 'Fake Rolex' in for me to have a look at - and he was very happy to describe it as a fake Rolex even though it was an expensive fake and was a very good copy that would fool most other than Rolex experts. My youngest Son bought one, (much to my disgust!), and was happy to show Dad his 'fake Rolex'. There have been many more 'personal' examples.

It seems, from what people have posted in other threads here, that it's also common parlance on many fake/replica watch forums too - though I stand to be corrected as I don't visit any of them personally.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nobody is disputing fake watches are for sale and bought by people.
    And would you agree that rolex is the brand most faked?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    What point are you trying to make?

By volume I’m sure I’ve read, on this forum and elsewhere, that it is the Casio F-91W.

Rolex must be the most famous faked brand I would think.

What point are you trying to make?
    Just that, given rolex fakes are all over the show, when people think fake watch they generally think fake rolex and that, of all the luxury watch brands people assume are fake, rolex are at the top.

I'm not trying to discredit you or anyone, but the "fake rollie" really has been a "thing" for many years now - especially outside of "WIS" circles.

How will we know which is the most faked brand.

Are statistics available?

Certainly one of the most faked brands.
    But, what exactly is the point?

Master
    The only thing that can top a fake Rolex thread is a real Rolex thread in SC.

Imagine a fake Rolex in SC thread!

Right...l really am out now.
    This is getting silly. And lm as to blame as anyone - lm doing the equivalent of standing on a street corner handing out pamphlets explaining that the wheel is circular...And actually entertaining hecklers!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Certainly one of the most faked brands.
    But, what exactly is the point?
    What does this even mean?

Today probably it is, but this is a fairly recent trend. In the past it was Cartier; there's a famous photo of literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of fake Tanks being steamrollered at a port by French Customs. Faked Cartier watches was the reason why the then CEO introduced the low-cost Must de Cartier brand, so that people would be able to buy the real thing at an accessible price point rather than being tempted by a POS fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How will we know which is the most faked brand.

Are statistics available?
    There are statistics for the number of fake watch seizures and estimates of the total number of fake watches.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    There are statistics for the number of fake watch seizures and estimates of the total number of fake watches.
    Any links then?

Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Any links then?
    Loads to be found in an internet search, no doubt some of them fake :)

FHS have plenty apparently, although these articles seem a bit trivial.

https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/stopthefakes.html

I looked into it a while ago but tbh it isn’t interesting enough to spend a lot of time on unless you are in the industry seeing your bread being taken off the table. I got interested when working in the music business.

Here is some old data from US enforcement agencies

https://www.stopfakes.gov/article?id...izures-in-2014
    Last edited by alfat33; 1st January 2020 at 13:48.

No I wouldn't and even if I could afford the real deal, I wouldn't buy it, as if people might think I'm a poser with a fake one. I'd buy a more interesting way less copied brand like Jeager LeCoultre for instance. But what do I know, I also wear a bronze case copied Seiko Tuna, with another brand name on it, but with a similar, but cheaper automatic movement from the aforementioned firm. Seiko never made those in bronze themselves. (I mean the watches)

Master
    There used to a be an awful lot of fake TAGs around in the 1990s, when TAG were quite popular with (and moderately affordable by)the normal watch buying public. Oddly as TAG have tried to become a prestige brand with silly prices, their allure to the general public has declined and there don't seem to be so many fake ones around. Rather the opposite of Rolex where as prices rise, their reputation goes up and the flood of fakes becomes a torrent!

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk© View Post
    No I wouldn't and even if I could afford the real deal, I wouldn't buy it, as if people might think I'm a poser with a fake one. I'd buy a more interesting way less copied brand like Jeager LeCoultre for instance. But what do I know, I also wear a bronze case copied Seiko Tuna, with another brand name on it, but with a similar, but cheaper automatic movement from the aforementioned firm. Seiko never made those in bronze themselves. (I mean the watches)
    Strange logic that. So you wouldn’t buy a decent polo shirt or the wife a decent bag because you can find loads of blag ones in Turkey and worried someone might think your wearing a fake?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Looks like Mikes shopping centre in Pattaya.Bought some "fake" tshirts from there 12 years ago,might even still have a few in my drawer!.
    Ha. Mikes shopping centre. Brilliant innit.
    Love Pattaya.
    Regards
    V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post

Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it is the opposite of why I like watches. Thus when I see one I don’t think ‘ah, watch guy’ because it’s far more likely that the watch is owned by someone who wants a Rolex, not a watch. Like I said before I’m obviously not taking about members here who are by virtue of membership here probably not in this camp. But the general public? Not sure. Just the way I see it with my ‘low self esteem’ however the other guy worked that out.
    Over here I will agree most of the people you meet wearing a Rolex are not watch people. Most buy a Rolex with an "I made it" association that Rolex marketing has ingrained into people. I no longer ask anyone about the watch they're wearing if it's a Rolex, I usually get the blank stare and
    that uncomfortable why do want to know look. If they are WIS I let them ask first.
    Last edited by jk103; 1st January 2020 at 18:10.

Quite a few people have asked me if the date just I was wearing was fake, never get asked if it’s real, always fake?

Does that mean that people have judged me as the type of person that would buy and wear a fake or is this because of the knowledge/prevalence of fakes?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Quite a few people have asked me if the date just I was wearing was fake, never get asked if it’s real, always fake?

Does that mean that people have judged me as the type of person that would buy and wear a fake or is this because of the knowledge/prevalence of fakes?
    It's not about you. It's just they will have seen far more fakes in real life than real.
    I've been asked what my watch is and then asked "yeah, but is it though?" on a few occasions.
    Also, more than with, say, my omegas, there seems to be an expectation that l for some reason should remove the watch from my wrist to be subjected to "expert" scrutiny!
    Because, of course, everybody knows that only genuine rolex have a sweeping seconds hand...

My first 'proper' watch was a TAG Heuer and was asked by a work colleague (in all seriousness) if I'd stolen it.

Quite a few people have asked me if the date just I was wearing was fake.
    That’s OK, when I last wore my Fortis to the pub I got asked if it was a Rolex .

SydR

Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

Nice to have trusting colleagues

It is sad, ill informed snobbery to assume that watch buying WIS community or the average Joe are a homogeneous mass. Ascribing motives to someone’s buying a watch is what is called in Psychology - reflection. Whereby you are reflecting your views and values on someone else.
    It is beyond me why such preconceived notions should influence your opinion of or interaction with someone or your watch buying preferences. When someone says I want to buy something less common or the more fashionable term ‘more interesting’, it is an indication that your choice is governed less by the merits of a watch and more by some kind of perceived need for exclusivity.

It is sad, ill informed snobbery to assume that watch buying WIS community or the average Joe are a homogeneous mass. Ascribing motives to someone’s buying a watch is what is called in Psychology - reflection. Whereby you are reflecting your views and values on someone else.
    It is beyond me why such preconceived notions should influence your opinion of or interaction with someone or your watch buying preferences. When someone says I want to buy something less common or the more fashionable term ‘more interesting’, it is an indication that your choice is governed less by the merits of a watch and more by some kind of perceived need for exclusivity.
    Or, of course, that you just want to buy something less common or more interesting.
    Haha! Stop reflecting! ;)
    Last edited by Umbongo; 1st January 2020 at 21:10.

...Ascribing motives to someone’s buying a watch is what is called in Psychology - reflection. Whereby you are reflecting your views and values on someone else.
    No it isn't, you made that up.

That’s OK, when I last wore my Fortis to the pub I got asked if it was a Rolex .
    Now that's funny. What Fortis looks like a Rolex?

Blog Entries
    In my experience, virtually every bloke lve ever spoken to - builders, joiners and engineers, food production workers, auto mechanics, sales staff, bar staff, blokes on trains and aircraft, in bars... you get the picture...has some opinion to express when asked about rolex - more than any other brand.
    Most often "flash gits wear them, or old men, or footballers, or Arfur Daley"... lm not sure if this stems from culture or jealousy, Or that they're "the best watch you can buy" or "A sign youre doing well" etc......
    You must go around asking virtually everyone you meet about Rolex. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone about watches except a couple of good friends. Certainly not "...blokes on trains and aircraft, in bars..."

"..you get the picture..." Yes, to be honest I think I'm beginning to.....

I've been asked what my watch is and then asked "yeah, but is it though?" on a few occasions.
    Also, more than with, say, my omegas, there seems to be an expectation that l for some reason should remove the watch from my wrist to be subjected to "expert" scrutiny!
    Because, of course, everybody knows that only genuine rolex have a sweeping seconds hand...
    The funny thing is nobody has ever asked me what my watch is. Ever. Even wearing short sleeved shirts on holiday and on cruise ships. I wonder how many others are often asked what their watch is?

Master
    You must go around asking virtually everyone you meet about Rolex. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone about watches except a couple of good friends. Certainly not "...blokes on trains and aircraft, in bars..."

The funny thing is nobody has ever asked me what my watch is. Ever. Even wearing short sleeved shirts on holiday and on cruise ships. I wonder how many others are often asked what their watch is?
    I agree. Outside of this forum I’ve met two people who knew what watch I was wearing.
    I bought a few fakes some years ago. Not lucky lucky man fakes but decent ones. Got bored with them quite quickly as I knew they weren’t real.
    Nowadays I’d rather have a Seiko than a fake, but each to their own. There are far more serious problems in the world than fake watches.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Please try to accept that just because they don’t wear a suit to work doesn’t mean they don’t work bloody hard and deserve whatever theycan afford to buy.
    I wear a suit to work but I completely agree. I've recently started wearing a Seiko to work as working my way through a couple of nice watches per week can be seen negatively and like you're being paid too much although not the same as losing/not winning a contract.

It's just jealousy and the counting of other people's money which is totally rotten. I love watches, don't drink or smoke and bring lunch to work everyday. It's a pie chart and I choose the slice for watches by not spending on other things.

Surely it's better you spend your money on something nice and lasting rather than buying breakfast, lunch and £3.50 coffees then going down the pub every night after work?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wearing a Seiko isn’t a penance,I like wearing my Seiko's they are not inferior to any other brand what ever the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    No it isn't, you made that up.
    You are right. I meant projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Now that's funny. What Fortis looks like a Rolex?
    FWIW It’s a Stratoliner but I think to most people any nice watch looks like a Rolex.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I agree. Outside of this forum I’ve met two people who knew what watch I was wearing.
    I bought a few fakes some years ago. Not lucky lucky man fakes but decent ones. Got bored with them quite quickly as I knew they weren’t real.
    Nowadays I’d rather have a Seiko than a fake, but each to their own. There are far more serious problems in the world than fake watches.
    Yes, to be honest I don’t believe people would go around talking to strangers about their watch.

Edit:: I’ve just been reminded of one occasion on Eurostar we sat opposite a couple going to the same cruise and the man started taking off his watch. He then retrieved a Submariner from his hand luggage to put on. I was just doing the same thing with my Exp2. We had all stayed over in London and didn’t want to wear them the night before. That was the only occasion.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 2nd January 2020 at 09:28.

Apprentice
    I looked at this years ago. I then made a decision if I’m going to wear one it has to be genuine it’s a bit like buying a cheap car and making it look like a Bentley. Pointless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! That's an interesting, but lm beginning to think predictable, way for you to read my post.

I've actually chatted to a fair few people about watches over the years. I must be chattier than you, or more outwardly passionate about them.
    I thought it obvious without saying that l don't talk to everyone l meet about them...Just assumed that was so obvious that l wouldnt have to stoop to spell it out in, say, blue crayon...:D
    I understand that some people find it very hard to make introductions but, on journeys and in life, a quick "that's very nice/unusual etc" can lead into a really decent conversation - sometimes even a friendship - can that be bad?

I really don't think youre even near to... in fact it's entirely possible youre looking in an entirely different area of the gallery. But youre in "Stand my ground regardless of any incoming information" mode... so l just kind of wasted 5 minutes there.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 2nd January 2020 at 10:37.

Blog Entries
    Haha! That's an interesting, but lm beginning to think predictable, way for you to read my post.

I've actually chatted to a fair few people about watches over the years. I must be chattier than you, or more outwardly passionate about them.
    I thought it obvious without saying that l don't talk to everyone l meet about them...Just assumed that was so obvious that l wouldnt have to stoop to spell it out in, say, blue crayon...:D
    I understand that some people find it very hard to make introductions but, on journeys and in life, a quick "that's very nice/unusual etc" can lead into a really decent conversation - sometimes even a friendship - can that be bad?

I really don't think youre even near to... in fact it's entirely possible youre looking in an entirely different area of the gallery. But youre in "Stand my ground regardless of any incoming information" mode... so l just kind of wasted 5 minutes there.
    You keep talking about blue crayons, perhaps you missed out on them as a child.
    And I read your post exactly how you wrote it, there was no need for interpretation. If you don’t mean the things you write, because you simply invented them to support your argument, then either don’t write them or write them as you intend them.
    And coming out with the crayon insults when all else fails is more childish.

You keep talking about blue crayons, perhaps you missed out on them as a child.
    And I read your post exactly how you wrote it, there was no need for interpretation. If you don’t mean the things you write, because you simply invented them to support your argument, then either don’t write them or write them as you intend them.
    And coming out with the crayon insults when all else fails is more childish.
    Actually laughed out loud!

Ok then... here goes... you read everything with total understanding. Everyone who disagrees with you is wrong...including me....but we'll learn one day.

You can't possibly be wrong...after all you decided to actually type it on a forum, and your opinion carries many times the weight of those who disagree... regardless of their numbers.

My mistake. I retire from this debate thoroughly humbled - you have proven the life experiences of so many people to be worthless, as they differ from the truth of yours.

At last... you can sleep.

Blog Entries
    Actually laughed out loud!

Ok then... here goes... you read everything with total understanding. Everyone who disagrees with you is wrong...including me....but we'll learn one day.

You can't possibly be wrong...after all you decided to actually type it on a forum, and your opinion carries many times the weight of those who disagree... regardless of their numbers.

My mistake. I retire from this debate thoroughly humbled - you have proven the life experiences of so many people to be worthless, as they differ from the truth of yours.

At last... you can sleep.
    Thought that summed you up very well to be honest. You being the one who keeps on about people not understanding your posts with their apparently hidden meanings.

Have a nice day talking to strangers about your watches.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 2nd January 2020 at 14:09.

Yes, to be honest I don’t believe people would go around talking to strangers about their watch.
    To be fair OOK this entire forum is a bunch of people talking to strangers about their watch(es).

Until they become friends, as we are :).

It happens face to face as well, quite a nice icebreaker if you want to start a chat.

Blog Entries
    To be fair OOK this entire forum is a bunch of people talking to strangers about their watch(es).

It happens face to face as well, quite a nice icebreaker if you want to start a chat.
    In a watch 'club' or 'forum' I can see it happening. And although I do talk to people on holiday, in general passing and other situations I can't remember talking to them about the watch they are wearing. I've talked to people wearing Rolex, Patek, Omega etc but none of them mentioned my watch or theirs. Now if it's the weather..............

It really is. People do it about sport, the weather, the news...
    ...why when you see a nice watch would you not compliment it? I'd find it harder and meaner not to.
    It's lovely to have somebody tell you that something you own is beautiful.
    Same with cars... guy near me owns an Nissan skyline r34 gtr v-spec.
    Never spoke to him before in my life until last year - a quick and simple "l bet that's a scream to drive" and now we speak every time we see each other. I've even taken it for a spin.
    It's nice to be nice.

It's nice to be nice.
    Indeed it is, and OOK is one of the many nice people on the forum. I guess our personalities are as different as our tastes in watches.

Last time I spoke to a stranger about watches was with a very nice waiter in Belgo's in the west end, wearing a Sinn 556.
    We had a very nice chat about it and my family got very good service throughout our meal.
    He got a good tip and i hope everyone was happy.
    He was not a collector at all, just wanted to make an educated and different choice to the usual watch.

D

Indeed it is, and OOK is one of the many nice people on the forum. I guess our personalities are as different as our tastes in watches.
    I hope he is.

I also hope he has it in him to acknowledge that some people may have greater experience of some things than he does and that they don't share those experiences just to prove him wrong - but because they're the truth.