closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Armand Nicolet - experiences? Opinions?

Armand Nicolet - experiences? Opinions?

From a quick search there seems little love for this otherwise fairly venerable and credible Swiss brand, and their only UK dealer seems low key to the point of invisibility.
    Yet the few decent third party pics out there portray some very well finished wristwatches, with some unique but still reasonably conservative styling cues.
    So what's the story? Anyone own any of their work? Any skeletons in their closet?

I ask because the J09-3 has really taken my eye, and pricing seems sane for a watch that stylistically shares cues from better-known and vastly pricier articles, yet to my eye is better balanced and more appealing.

I haven't any experience of the brand sorry, but Tkmaxx has a selection from £499 at the moment. Not the model you've pointed out unfortunately, but worth a look I think.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I haven't any experience of the brand sorry, but Tkmaxx has a selection from £499 at the moment. Not the model you've pointed out unfortunately, but worth a look I think.

Thanks for the heads-up. Some real bargains, albeit not quite what I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. Some real bargains, albeit not quite what I'm looking for
    No probs, I didn't think they were as nice as the one you were looking for, but worth pointing out

They are indeed very well made watches, easily on par with other makers operating at about the same rrp. But don’t ever pay rrp for them, the big American grey dealers always have a big selection and they usually offer an 80% discount. Even then you would lose money if you move it on. It’s a shame that, as with so many other things, it all comes down to marketing and brand recognition and good makers such as Armand Nicolet seem to get overlooked.

Master
    I had never heard of them but had a quick look and there are some very nice looking watches.
    This forum so good for uncovering new (to me) brands/makers that I probably wouldnt ever come across otherwise.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I had a gander at the TKMaxx website and was somewhat tempted by the GMT for £600. But, the lume dots above the 60 look uneven. Probably wouldn’t have noticed until I joined this forum...

The J09 is a handsome looking watch. But imho the design could be much more balanced if the case was a little smaller than 41 mm. 50 mm lug-to-lug is also a bit much for my taste, as is the 24 mm lug-width. I also think the hands aren't long enough.
    I'd love to see a 39 mm version, that could easily remedy all of the points above.

Master
    Ive owned a few. The only thing I dont really like about them is that they seem to use old 21600 etas. The build quality is fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    They are indeed very well made watches, easily on par with other makers operating at about the same rrp. But don’t ever pay rrp for them, the big American grey dealers always have a big selection and they usually offer an 80% discount. Even then you would lose money if you move it on. It’s a shame that, as with so many other things, it all comes down to marketing and brand recognition and good makers such as Armand Nicolet seem to get overlooked.
    Thanks. Worth knowing. I'm not considering the investment angle - everything I own is going to lose me money, but only a few are ever likely to be moved-on. I buy what I like, and enjoy a nice range of options to wear according to mood.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    The J09 is a handsome looking watch. But imho the design could be much more balanced if the case was a little smaller than 41 mm. 50 mm lug-to-lug is also a bit much for my taste, as is the 24 mm lug-width. I also think the hands aren't long enough.
    I'd love to see a 39 mm version, that could easily remedy all of the points above.
    Fair enough, I'm not a fan of little, modest watches, and really like the strap-versatility of long-lugs. Each to their own!

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Ive owned a few. The only thing I dont really like about them is that they seem to use old 21600 etas. The build quality is fine though.
    Thanks. According to AN's website it's 2824 chronos, and SW200 for the 3-handers now, FWIW. Good to know the build quality is decent - that's an important consideration.

Here's a video review of the day/date version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfB0gp9yCZU

Seems like a well-put-together piece.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Here's a video review of the day/date version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfB0gp9yCZU

Seems like a well-put-together piece.
    Nice one, thanks, let's just say that has not decreased my interest! Hoping for some NY reductions!