closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Window first or window sill??

Master

Window first or window sill??

Hi

Thinking of replacing a window in one of the rooms, the one currently has no sill inside the room - its just painted plaster.

So, is there a correct order? As in, better to replace the window first and then add the sill or could I add the sill now and replace the window later??

Cheers

I've always installed the window then the sill... You don't really know where the sill needs to butt-up to until the window is installed.

Master
    Just had the entire conservatory rebuilt with a solid insulated roof, everything up from dwarf walls replaced (hoping I can use it more than 3 months of the year - current heatwave & it’s still the coolest place in the house)

Anyway, that aside, sills were the last thing to go in, so all matches up neatly and perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I've always installed the window then the sill... You don't really know where the sill needs to butt-up to until the window is installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Just had the entire conservatory rebuilt with a solid insulated roof, everything up from dwarf walls replaced (hoping I can use it more than 3 months of the year - current heatwave & it’s still the coolest place in the house)

Anyway, that aside, sills were the last thing to go in, so all matches up neatly and perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks chaps. That's what I thought but worth checking.

Craftsman
    To be perfectly correct the inside bit you are talking about is called a "Window board" the "Sill" or "Cill"is the bit on the bottom of the actual window.
    Sorry to go on, time served Joiner old school. Anyway the window would usually be fitted first, then the window board butt up against it.
    But you could fit the window board now up to the existing window to cover the plaster, then at a later date replace the window.
    Sounds more difficult than it is to do.
    Good luck.

I'd love a window board-less house, all of ours are magnets for SWMBO's 'stuff'.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

As above the correct way is window first, then cill or board to suit. I put 30mm thick black limestone 'boards' in mine. Really makes a difference, I'm not a huge fan of white painted MDF bullnose boards with aprons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligrub View Post
    To be perfectly correct the inside bit you are talking about is called a "Window board" the "Sill" or "Cill"is the bit on the bottom of the actual window.
    Sorry to go on, time served Joiner old school. Anyway the window would usually be fitted first, then the window board butt up against it.
    But you could fit the window board now up to the existing window to cover the plaster, then at a later date replace the window.
    Sounds more difficult than it is to do.
    Good luck.
    Happy to be corrected! Always better to know the right terms for things, so thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'd love a window board-less house, all of ours are magnets for SWMBO's 'stuff'.

R
    We don't have a window board in that room at present and its still full of crap/stuff! I don't think the window board is the issue. Unless you're thinking of some design that has the window pretty flush in the wall??