closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Bumper Repair

Car Bumper Repair

I have just managed to scuff the bumper on my lease car by reversing into a concrete rubbish bin which someone had kindly placed in a parking bay.

The car is a Range Rover Velar, so obviously the reversing sensors didn't work until after I heard the crunch, following which they warned me of the event which had taken place! ;)

I can remember a thread on here not so long ago about these 'Dent Away' type repairers but cant find it again now. I seem to remember the repairer was located not too far away from me either.

Does anyone have anyone they can recommend to get this repaired?
    Is it worth bothering to repair it, or should I just hand it back with the damage still in place and take the hit on its 'reduced value' when it is inspected?

The damage is on the plastic body-coloured bumper area and has a number of scratches, but no visible dent as such.
    The car is currently located on the Hereford/Shropshire border.

TIA

Master
    Blog Entries
    Chips away ,may be worth a try.

Have always found Chipsaway to do an excellent job.

Craftsman
    Yes, Chipsaway are always good and can usually give a quote if you send them a few pics of the damage

Craftsman
    I can't recommend anyone local to you but either getting it repaired yourself or taking the hit on its return will cost you one way or the other. If it was me personally, I would have the damaged repaired as the cost would be clear. If it was left to when it was inspected, the cost would be unknown, plus they may add a admin charge for the pleasure of dealing with the issue, which in essence is your time cost for dealing with the matter.

If you can live with the damage and not too concerned about the reduced value when handed back, then leave it. You may manage to pick up a couple of other small knocks before the car is handed back, which could all be dealt with at the same time. Again it depends how bad they are, and how you feel about them.

Master
    In general the PDR techniques work on dents where the paint hasn't been scratched or damaged. If it has you need the Chipsaway sort of service. Some of the PDR work is verging on Hogwarts level magic:

His channel has other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have just managed to scuff the bumper on my lease car by reversing into a concrete rubbish bin which someone had kindly placed in a parking bay.

The car is a Range Rover Velar, so obviously the reversing sensors didn't work until after I heard the crunch, following which they warned me of the event which had taken place! ;)

I can remember a thread on here not so long ago about these 'Dent Away' type repairers but cant find it again now. I seem to remember the repairer was located not too far away from me either.

Does anyone have anyone they can recommend to get this repaired?
    Is it worth bothering to repair it, or should I just hand it back with the damage still in place and take the hit on its 'reduced value' when it is inspected?

The damage is on the plastic body-coloured bumper area and has a number of scratches, but no visible dent as such.
    The car is currently located on the Hereford/Shropshire border.

TIA
    Can't help with dent repairs but I'd recommend Spec Savers instead !!

Oh, and "pass" on JLR products in the future too, they're effectively $h1te at what they're meant to do.
    Last edited by reggie747; 13th April 2021 at 20:26.

Master
    On my last three leases the charge for dents was way less than the cost to repair

Master
    I’ve just had my BMW done and can’t recommend them company enough.

I reversed into a post and pushed the plastic in creasing it. The work entails collection, a loan car, removal of the bumper, heating and pushing back to shape, prep and respray using the correct BMW paint, refit, clean the car and return.

It was £460

Happy to connect if you PM ( I need to dig out their contact info)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    On my last three leases the charge for dents was way less than the cost to repair
    very dependent on lease company
    If it's a VAG financial lease then they are very reasonable

Blog Entries
    +1 for Chipsaway

I used these guys for my company car (Lexus IS300h) which was due for return... (after a similar rear bumper prang)

ChipsAway

Llanthony Industrial Estate
    Llanthony Road
    Gloucester
    GL2 5HL

I explained it didn't have to be perfect - as it was going back to the lease company.
    So they did a really nice (good enough) job for £140 ( this was in 2015 though )

z

Craftsman
    The only issue with chipsaway is it's a franchise so the quality of the job is dependent on the franchise holder. Good to hear positive experiences from around the country

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    very dependent on lease company
    If it's a VAG financial lease then they are very reasonable
    Ford, VAG & BMW. I might have gotten lucky I suppose.

That PDR video is amazing!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    That PDR video is amazing!
    Absolutely - the skill on show is incredible.

As for ChipsAway, they did a fantastic job on a small crease/dent in the wing of my wife's Z4. The chap that did it had worked in a body shop for over 20 years before joining the franchise so, as has been said, the quality probably comes down to the experience/expertise of the particular operative who does the work.

Just an update to close this down in case anyone has a similar issue in the future.

I tried to contact 'Chipsaway' and one other franchised repairers to repair my bumper, but they do not operate in my area - so were not interested at all.
    I therefore contacted a local 'home repairer' and had a quote of £450 plus VAT to smarten up the bumper, but it was noted that they may not be able to achieve an acceptable repair for that money and suggested they may need to install a new bumper, new reversing sensors etc, likely cost - around £2k.

So in the end, I just handed the car back as it was.

This was the damage:

I have just received the invoice for the 'unfair wear and tear' of £80.
    Result! That is less than my insurance excess.

Craftsman
    Great result