closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wallets - Education needed

Blog Entries

Wallets - Education needed

One of the things I have recently been looking at is a decent wallet, I have a few like Timberland and other low cost ones, I recently bought a Bellroy Slim sleeve but I will be flipping it as although its a great wallet I do find it a bit small, so what to look out for?????

I have begun looking at Mont Blanc and Dunhill wallets but what apart from the label what do they offer and what do people recommend, looking for usual money and credit card uses.

I like shell cordovan for a wallet, improves with age and develops a great patina, very hard wearing. I'd say brand is irrelevant as long as it is well made of a good leather.

Plenty of decent brands to choose from BUT an absolute essential in my book would be for the wallet to be an RFID wallet. With most of our cards today being contactless cards, RFID protection has got to be a consideration.

I’ve had mb wallet and it was v good

I swapped to a Belstaff one and am very impressed

I think they still have some in the sake at £100

MB wallets can be had at Bicester Village at their outlet store

Quote Originally Posted by MintG View Post
    Plenty of decent brands to choose from BUT an absolute essential in my book would be for the wallet to be an RFID wallet. With most of our cards today being contactless cards, RFID protection has got to be a consideration.
    How many RFID crimes have been committed? Really unnecessary.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A bit like computer virus protection. A whole industry built on fear.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    A bit like computer virus protection. A whole industry built on fear.
    But at least the anti-virus companies write new viruses to maintain demand.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I recently purchased a Hugo Boss Signature wallet. Perfect size for my pockets and looks to be incredibly hard wearing. I'm not expecting to replace it for many, many years.

In my experience 'cheap' wallets last around a year or so before looking tatty.

https://www.hugoboss.com/uk/signatur...201795197.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I recently purchased a Hugo Boss Signature wallet. Perfect size for my pockets and looks to be incredibly hard wearing. I'm not expecting to replace it for many, many years.

In my experience 'cheap' wallets last around a year or so before looking tatty.

https://www.hugoboss.com/uk/signatur...201795197.html

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Looks good but I’d be worried about the silver logo tearing the leather over time, or if it catches on something tearing the leather quite quickly.

Craftsman
    im a tart but i prefer this one...just starting to go a nice colour

https://noduscollection.com/collecti...nt=48046265103

if you want leather , the only one worth looking at is https://www.saddlebackleather.com/le...eather-wallets

i got tired of carrying a big and heavy wallet and switched to SECRID
    https://www.mukama.com/en/secrid-min...te_green_black

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    im a tart but i prefer this one...just starting to go a nice colour

https://noduscollection.com/collecti...nt=48046265103
    That's not a wallet that's a purse

To me, a decent leather wallet can be bought from M&S. To pay for something with a 'designer' name on it for me, is a waste of money. I still use a lovely soft leather M&S wallet bought years ago and it's perfectly functional and has worn well.
    Buy something that fulfills your needs and not someone's ego.

I've bought and tried a few but my favourite are Mont Blanc, the quality is just exceptional, I like Boss too.

Mine is 2 years old now and shows virtually no signs of wear.

It is tri-fold from Aspinal of London.

I would have another from them when this one gives up the ghost. Not too expensive either.

Master
    Tk maxx is well worth a look for wallets. I got my current one there 2 years ago. Can't mind brand.

Master
    I have a Bellroy Highline which does what I need it to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I've bought and tried a few but my favourite are Mont Blanc, the quality is just exceptional, I like Boss too.
    My Mont Blanc is now more than 16 years old and used everyday.. The Mont Blanc stud fell off after 10 years and it's now a bit battered around the edges but i'd feel lost without it. :D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    That's not a wallet that's a purse
    yep yer right...a purse lol albeit a rfid purse

Master
    in the past I've always looked for a leather wallet with a coin pocket. this always ends up stuffed with receipts, coins, loyalty cards and the like resulting in a huge tatty mess.
    I recently switched to a bifold card sized wallet with clear display for ID, money clip inside and room for about 6 other cards. This keeps my pockets nice and slim and has been a revelation. Only really doable since the dawn of contactless payment methods but I have no desire to go back to a massive wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    although its a great wallet I do find it a bit small, so what to look out for?????

why don't you just buy a bigger bellroy?
    i think they make great products. initially expensive but they wear very well and are very well designed.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I still really like my cork wallet form Moral Origin. It's ageing nicely and has space for cards, notes, a couple of coins and a spare door key.

Paul Smith for me, my favourite is a Japanese bought one, embossed with Lotus flowers.

Master
    My Mont Blanc wallet is excellent quality and well worth the cost.

Craftsman
    The Bridge.

I have several of their products and the wife has a couple of handbags. Excellent quality. I’ve had the wallet for a couple of years now, everyday use. Brilliant.

https://www.thebridge.it/gb_en/men/s...ets.html#more1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Bought a Secrid wallet as per recommendations in the Slim down your wallet thread.(sorry could not post link, having technical difficulties).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    My Mont Blanc wallet is excellent quality and well worth the cost.
    i use what is supposedly a Mont Blanc credit card holder, and it is excellent as a mini wallet (not the one with plastic inserts). Not cheap but shows virtually no signs of wear after 3 years of use.

I got a wallet of surprising quality at the Glenmorangie distillery. Debossed only with the distillers' name on the inner fold, but appears to be the full LVMH monty and is just about breaking in after about a decade

They're one of those things best handled in person.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I’ve had mb wallet and it was v good

I swapped to a Belstaff one and am very impressed

I think they still have some in the sake at £100

MB wallets can be had at Bicester Village at their outlet store
    Is there a decent range at Bicester? Do they do much else there in terms of MB? Decent prices?

Master
    I have found Aspinal to be excellent quality.

I am currently using a card holder from Urban Safari, I also own their bifold model, but don’t carry much cash these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Safar...s=urban+safari

https://www.urbansafarilondon.com/collections/wallets

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 12th July 2018 at 22:07.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have recently been through the same thing, looked at loads from Ettinger, Picketts, Mont Blanc, Launer etc etc but ended up with a Mulberry.

Slightly smaller than a regular wallet, 6 card slots and 1 note compartment. Perfect for me.

I've been using one of these metal card holders. It blocks RFID if you're concerned about that (I'd rather it was blocked) and it can take a good amount of bashing about. Along with that I keep a carbon fibre money clip for cash.

Link here

Master
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    if you want leather , the only one worth looking at is https://www.saddlebackleather.com/le...eather-wallets

i got tired of carrying a big and heavy wallet and switched to SECRID
    https://www.mukama.com/en/secrid-min...te_green_black
    Not a Wallet but interesting - https://www.saddlebackleather.com/leather-coffin

i have had my Montblanc wallet for 7 years and it still in perfect condition/like new.

I have a Rolex wallet which has served me very well over a couple of years

There is the same one BN in the FS section

I have had one of these for 3 years in black.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173406955229
    Plus a Kangaroo's Ball sack for coins & notes

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not only that, but if you have more than one RFID card in your wallet it's impossible to pay for let's say tube by simply putting your wallet on the RFID reader as multiple signals confuse RFID scanner or cancel each other, so you have to take one of your cards from the wallet and scan it separately. I believe the same will happen to a potential hacker/RFID crim scanner. Just saying.
    Last edited by VDG; 14th July 2018 at 09:49.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

How many attempted bombings of planes have there been using footwear? One that i know of. I think it was about sixteen years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    How many attempted bombings of planes have there been using footwear? One that i know of. I think it was about sixteen years ago.
    One more than any attempted RFID crime I know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    Paul Smith for me, my favourite is a Japanese bought one, embossed with Lotus flowers.
    A lot of Paul Smith 'accessories' I've had over the years have been poor quality, but I've just realised that my PS wallet was bought nine years ago, and while it looks well-used there's absolutely nothing wrong with after being carried about with me every day since then.

Craftsman
    I’d recommend Vivienne Westwood for a wallet. I converted around 5 years ago and have a few that I alternate. The quality is excellent, some of the designs are quite eye-catching if that’s your thing and overall they just feel quite special. I considered them expensive £160 max until I looked at some of the offerings from Harrods (Gucci, LV etc)!

I am quite intrigued by Bellroy’s thinner wallet offerings however and would quite like to try one in the future.

Blog Entries
    “I am quite intrigued by Bellroy’s thinner wallet offerings however and would quite like to try one in the future”.[/QUOTE]

PM me if you are interested in a Bellroy, that’s what started me on this post, I bought one from Amazon but found it a bit small and you end up playing origami with the cash notes to fit them in, great quality and neat way of keeping credit cards but prefer a standard size wallet so will be selling it on once I decide what replacement to buy.

Blog Entries
    I wanted a smaller wallet for front pocket carry. Had to carry cards and cash.

Bought an I-clip and now wouldn't use anything else. Although I have been tempted to buy a couple of other makes that looked prettier, none are as simple or work as well. Carries 5 or 6 cards and usually around £100-£200 cash no problem. Will probably get another I-Clip soon just for a different colour!

ook

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    “I am quite intrigued by Bellroy’s thinner wallet offerings however and would quite like to try one in the future”.
    PM me if you are interested in a Bellroy, that’s what started me on this post, I bought one from Amazon but found it a bit small and you end up playing origami with the cash notes to fit them in, great quality and neat way of keeping credit cards but prefer a standard size wallet so will be selling it on once I decide what replacement to buy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Frankie, I’ll keep that in mind.

Love bellroy. Love the designs, the materials. Finish can be a bit sloppy at times though. Only thing that bothered me is the price.

But I'm a secrid mini fan now. Great daily wallet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    PM me if you are interested in a Bellroy, that’s what started me on this post, I bought one from Amazon but found it a bit small and you end up playing origami with the cash notes to fit them in, great quality and neat way of keeping credit cards but prefer a standard size wallet so will be selling it on once I decide what replacement to buy.
    I have recently gone through the same process of picking a new wallet, with advice from here, and almost made the same mistake of buying a Bellroy Slim Sleeve. This differs from the similar size Note Sleeve, by not having a pocket for bank notes. An easy mistake to make when choosing on-line but immediately obvious in your hand.
    I have had a Note Sleve for the past three months, carrying my usual debit and credit cards in the two slots on the right, my travel credit card in the left hand slot, driving licence and a travel pass in the pull out compartment and bank notes in the full width rear pocket. All store cards have been digitised on my phone and work perfectly.
    Don't rule out the excellent Bellroy wallets just because you chose one that wasn't designed to carry any banknotes. They are excellent quality and very well designed.

Craftsman
    I've got a Mulberry card holder that I've had for at least 5-6 years. It has been superb - holds 8 CCs and has a middle section for folded up notes. Coins go in pockets, anything with a coin pocket isn't a wallet, it's a purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    A lot of Paul Smith 'accessories' I've had over the years have been poor quality, but I've just realised that my PS wallet was bought nine years ago, and while it looks well-used there's absolutely nothing wrong with after being carried about with me every day since then.
    I've found that also, you do need to be picky. But like you, the Japanese wallet is a good ten years old now and while used, isn't knackered at all.

PS is quite big in Japan, I wonder if they up their quality for that market?

Apprentice
    I have used one of these for the last 6 years
    https://www.tannergoods.com/collecti...ility-bifold-3

Top quality leather and amazing stitching. Develops a beautiful patina over the years of use.

Will definitely buy again if I lose it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I stick to cash in a money clip.