closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To brush or not to brush...

Looks great brushed am sure they can be polished back again if required.
    Last edited by jzinc; 25th June 2020 at 10:00.

I think that's a fantastic job Tony, you wouldn't know that the bracelet previously had polished Centre links.

Personally, I would draw the line at SS, I think the TTs that you and Martyn own should be left alone, there is an element of the bling about those watches anyway which is part of the attraction for me. Looking at that picture of the Omega with the matt gold links, I'm not convinced that they would look good on your watches.

No doubt I will be proved wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think that's a fantastic job Tony, you wouldn't know that the bracelet previously had polished Centre links.

Personally, I would draw the line at SS, I think the TTs that you and Martyn own should be left alone, there is an element of the bling about those watches anyway which is part of the attraction for me. Looking at that picture of the Omega with the matt gold links, I'm not convinced that they would look good on your watches.

No doubt I will be proved wrong
    Thanks Ken, and I think I probably agree with you regarding my TT Sub. That said, I know that Paul would do another superb job, so I haven't completely discounted the idea.

Master
    Lovely result and i would also not have the TT brushed.

I'm with Ken. Nice to de-bling something which isn't really meant to be blinged like stainless steel on a watch, but two tone watches are meant to have some bling to them so dampening or dulling it won't add anything to them and could take something away from them. You may end up with a very posh looking Tudor!

it would be possible to reverse DIY possibly but i wouldnt like to try it on an expensive watch.

I can polish considerably harder steel than that to a mirror finish on a 6" bench grider converted into a polishing machine

Polish the whole thing to a mirror.

Then put some kind of strong tape on the centre parts and carefully cut out the shapes so they are covered.

Then you would need to very carefully and accurately use a fine satin finishing pad on the outer parts you want brushed and remove the tape after.

I think it would depend how intricate the bracelet is and they tend not to be straight forward

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    it would be possible to reverse DIY possibly but i wouldnt like to try it on an expensive watch.

I can polish considerably harder steel than that to a mirror finish on a 6" bench grider converted into a polishing machine

Polish the whole thing to a mirror.

Then put some kind of strong tape on the centre parts and carefully cut out the shapes so they are covered.

Then you would need to very carefully and accurately use a fine satin finishing pad on the outer parts you want brushed and remove the tape after.

I think it would depend how intricate the bracelet is and they tend not to be straight forward
    Have you ever done any refinishing work on a watch or are you staring how you think you might do it?

To brush or not to brush...

Just thought I'd post a wrist shot to show the quality of Paul's work, and how good the BLNR looks with a fully-brushed bracelet. I think this should be how it leaves the factory, personally, although I'm sure that many will love the PCLs as well.

Last edited by learningtofly; 28th June 2020 at 16:07.

Craftsman
    Fully agree, just how it should be. It looks miles better.
    I think you should definitely do the SD43 bracelet too!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That looks a lot more in keeping with the watch. Took a while to get used to it, but certainly suits it more.

IMHO:

Brushed > Jubilee > PCL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Fully agree, just how it should be. It looks miles better.
    I think you should definitely do the SD43 bracelet too!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Happy to if you'll give me the SD43

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    That looks a lot more in keeping with the watch. Took a while to get used to it, but certainly suits it more.

IMHO:

Brushed > Jubilee > PCL
    Agree with that, I think, although I do quite fancy a Jubilee.

When I brought my BLNR I picked up a sub bracelet at the same time and loved the brushed bracelet . Looks like a great job Tony.

Craftsman
    Late to the party....as usual, but there is absolutely NO shadow of a doubt what should happen at the factory let alone once one receives the latest iteration of any sports Rolex:

Get the wire brush out and BRUSH and get rid of the ghastly bling that is the shiny bit in the middle.

Edit: LOL glad you did it Tony, so much better and yes, agreed, should be done as standard by the factory.

Craftsman
    Conversely, a bi-metal strap is definitely not going to be a "tool" watch but rather dressier, so centre links should remain polished IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of doing this one now...

I would love to see someone brush the centre links *and also* the tops of the lugs on a 126234

The sides can be left polished

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Conversely, a bi-metal strap is definitely not going to be a "tool" watch but rather dressier, so centre links should remain polished IMO.
    Yes, I've decided to err on the side of caution with that one. I actually think it would look alright, though.

Craftsman
    Yes, I've decided to err on the side of caution with that one. I actually think it would look alright, though.
    A man of your photographic skills should be able to do a photoshop mock-up no? There must be a centre link brushed tool/plugin... ;)

Master
    Absolutely fantastic workmanship and the watch looks amazing

Absolutely spot on. Love it.
    I really don’t get a polished bracelet on a tool watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just thought I'd post a wrist shot to show the quality of Paul's work, and how good the BLNR looks with a fully-brushed bracelet. I think this should be how it leaves the factory, personally, although I'm sure that many will love the PCLs as well.
    100%. Huge upgrade.

Seeing this has made me think I should have the same done to the El Primero

I know a man who can...

What I didn’t know was that the 62510H Jubilee bracelet fits the BLNR case (so long as it’s the one that came on an Oyster). I’m a bit annoyed, actually, as I’d have hung on to mine had I realised.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I would love to see someone brush the centre links *and also* the tops of the lugs on a 126234

The sides can be left polished
    I have a 126200 that I’m considering having brushed - I think it’s a great mod.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So, where can I get my watch brushed? I got a Glycine Combat Sub that has polished sides of the case and I think I'd like it brushed.

If you were feeling adventurous, I came across a previous version of your GO PC...

...that was totally brushed:

That would be the most ideally practical PC, if only it had the hands yours has. So the solution is for you to get hold of the polished oyster bracelet that was available for yours

and have the whole lot brushed. Yes? Yes, I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If you were feeling adventurous, I came across a previous version of your GO PC...

...that was totally brushed:

That would be the most ideally practical PC, if only it had the hands yours has. So the solution is for you to get hold of the polished oyster bracelet that was available for yours

and have the whole lot brushed. Yes? Yes, I thought so.
    Hmmm... I do like it A LOT on the bracelet, actually :)

I think the brushed stainless steel bracelet looks a lot better than PCL but, even though I'm not a fan, I'm 100% of the opinion that two tone bracelets on a rolex are supposed to be a little more "blingy" than full AS and l think brushing them would be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I think the brushed stainless steel bracelet looks a lot better than PCL but, even though I'm not a fan, I'm 100% of the opinion that two tone bracelets on a rolex are supposed to be a little more "blingy" than full AS and l think brushing them would be a mistake.
    Yes, that seems to be the general view (it's certainly mine).

Master
    I'm seriously thinking of doing this one now...

This definitely needs doing

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Looks way better brushed IMO.

I personally have never bought a watch with polished centre links as I just don't like the look and there's so many options out there.

My only worry here would be what happens if you (A) decide to sell - will it impact resale value, or (B) send for a service - will it come back freshly polished again.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    This definitely needs doing

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Contrary to what I said a few posts above, I think I'm going to do it, Paul. I'll drop you a line about it.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th March 2021 at 15:19.

Here is a brushed Milgauss from TRF. Think he went a bit too extreme on it and your DateJust example is better but it does look quite good.

^^^ Quite like that.

For anyone who may be considering brushing there PLC’s I would highly recommend it.

Here is my DateJust 116200 satin brushed.

Appreciate it may not be to everyone’s taste but I personally think it looks so much nicer.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 27th March 2021 at 10:46.

Master
    All watches should have a brushed finish.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    For anyone who may be considering brushing there PLC’s I would highly recommend it.

Here is my DateJust 116200 satin brushed.

Appreciate it may not be to everyone’s taste but I personally think it looks so much nicer.

That looks great. I don't like pcl's so am considering getting my Datejust II done. Wheredid you get it done?

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    That looks great. I don't like pcl's so am considering getting my Datejust II done. Wheredid you get it done?
    The dealer where I purchased the watch were kind enough to do it for me.

I am sure any competent watchmaker with the correct equipment could undertake it for you.

I was told It’s also easily reversible should you wish to change the look back.

I think this is how they should have come from the factory!