closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kefir: Wonderful or pfftttt?

Kefir: Wonderful or pfftttt?

I've kept a culture of kefir going for about 8 weeks now and I really like it. A bit of a faff at first, but I've streamlined the daily utensils and procedure I'm using. I take half in the morning with granola, fruit and yoghurt, and drink the other half chilled in the evening.

It's hard to know whether you are benefitting or not, but since 2012 I've tightened up my diet a lot and increased the exercise. By mid-June I'm normally about 1kg down in weight on the previous year. This year I'm 3kg down which is WOW and I've found I have more energy for things.

Kefir is a culture of good gut bacteria you maintain in milk. You sieve it each day and put the lumpy bits from the sieve back into fresh milk and away you go again. Up to about 20 degrees C you can leave it out all day, but at the moment my place is 24 to 25 degrees C and it's half the day out on the side and half in the fridge.

Anyone else use it and if so what do you think?

Have at various stages done kefir, kombucha and another culture I've forgotten the name of.
    I definitely think kefir is great and much better than those little plastic things you can buy in supermarkets, yakult etc
    At the end of the day though, i never keep it up for long. I think my record was a year with kombucha.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    I'm a real believer in the importance of bacterial health (has been described as the second genome) but struggle with making it a habit. I really can't stand the taste of the really good stuff.

I've just finished a run of Symprove and I'm feeling really good at the moment. Wish is was more affordable though as at £20 a week I can't justify long term.

There are loads of habits that i know are good for me that i have tried but don't manage to maintain. Cold showers anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Cold showers anyone?
    Do we both have to get in the cubicle at the same time?

Asking for a friend.

No need to mess with the culture, Tesco sells two versions of it, just look in the Polish food section. They also sell Tvorog (Polish version of cottage cheese) if anyone wants to try something a bit different and up their daily intake of Calcium.

You can also make a light dish with kefir, perfect for a hot weather or as a side dish/starter - use deep salad bowl, peel and thinly slice lengthwise cucumbers (ideally baby/small ones also sold in Tesco, or if you use normal ones remove central part/seeds), press or crush a clove (or to taste) of garlic, finely chop fresh mint or dill and cover the cucumbers with kefir, add salt to taste, stir and leave it in the fridge for 10 min or add a cube of ice before serving.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I've kept a culture of kefir going for about 8 weeks now and I really like it. A bit of a faff at first, but I've streamlined the daily utensils and procedure I'm using. I take half in the morning with granola, fruit and yoghurt, and drink the other half chilled in the evening.

It's hard to know whether you are benefitting or not, but since 2012 I've tightened up my diet a lot and increased the exercise. By mid-June I'm normally about 1kg down in weight on the previous year. This year I'm 3kg down which is WOW and I've found I have more energy for things.

Kefir is a culture of good gut bacteria you maintain in milk. You sieve it each day and put the lumpy bits from the sieve back into fresh milk and away you go again. Up to about 20 degrees C you can leave it out all day, but at the moment my place is 24 to 25 degrees C and it's half the day out on the side and half in the fridge.

Anyone else use it and if so what do you think?
    Have you tried adding some coconut or orange to the milk? It makes a huge difference to the taste.

I might give it a go. Im lactose intolerant and notice some foods really get me bloated.
    Just read an interesting article saying that kefir can help lactose intolerance. I'll pop into Tescos and try some before I get immersed in yet another hobby/pass time/ indulgence!

I was making my kefir with milk but someone recently told me you can make it just with sugar water. Local culture growers are often enthusiastic and will give you some culture for free.

There are loads of habits that i know are good for me that i have tried but don't manage to maintain. Cold showers anyone?
    ...strangely enough, yes! There's a technique, but (seriously) some of the best are outside when it's below freezing after dark on a clear night. Needs to be a still, windless night and you need to minimise cold water contact with your head. Else, hose on an outside tap, flip flops on and away you go. Madness but wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Have you tried adding some coconut or orange to the milk? It makes a huge difference to the taste.
    Actually, strangely I like the taste of plain kefir and prefer it to milk. Haven't tried flavouring it yet.

I was making my kefir with milk but someone recently told me you can make it just with sugar water. Local culture growers are often enthusiastic and will give you some culture for free.
    I'm trying to split my culture at the moment but despite 40 adults at school, three expressed an interest but no one has taken up the offer (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    No need to mess with the culture, Tesco sells two versions of it, just look in the Polish food section. They also sell Tvorog (Polish version of cottage cheese) if anyone wants to try something a bit different and up their daily intake of Calcium.

You can also make a light dish with kefir, perfect for a hot weather or as a side dish/starter - use deep salad bowl, peel and thinly slice lengthwise cucumbers (ideally baby/small ones also sold in Tesco, or if you use normal ones remove central part/seeds), press or crush a clove (or to taste) of garlic, finely chop fresh mint or dill and cover the cucumbers with kefir, add salt to taste, stir and leave it in the fridge for 10 min or add a cube of ice before serving.
    True but the culture is uber cheap, especially if you would use the milk on your cereal anyway, and there's a satisfaction with doing it yourself and a connection with the end result.

Thanks for the recipe, petal will love it.

I've not heard the good bacteria biome called the second gnome but it's a good way of looking at it.