closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Arnie

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I really feel that this would’ve been a more attractive reissue if they had copied the original’s left hand pushers instead of the screw down protrusions. The proportions look odd to me.
    Agreed, seems like an attempt to beef it up for no good reason, being critical I'd like to have seen the pushers stay the same as previously and slightly increase the size of digital display.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Agreed, seems like an attempt to beef it up for no good reason, being critical I'd like to have seen the pushers stay the same as previously and slightly increase the size of digital display.
    I have to agree with this. I prefer the balance between pushers and crown on the original!

Master
    Mine arrived today and they really are a fantastic recreation of the H558. I had one of the originals some years ago and wearing this brings the same pleasure and feeling that the original did.

The lcd illumination has been upgraded from the dimly lit bulb on my original.

Cheers
    Neil

Nice pictures! The display can also be set to show the date right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations new Arnie owners... they look fantastic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Nice pictures! The display can also be set to show the date right?

Yes indeed and there’s a good video review here showing all the features.

https://youtu.be/lSuUNmPCb2Y

Cheers
    Neil

Well I really wish I hadn't watched that

Master
    So disappointed- sold a few bits to get one from Watcho and it’s oos

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    So disappointed- sold a few bits to get one from Watcho and it’s oos
    Explain if possible?

Master
    I think it’s out of stock

I think it’s out of stock
    Ah silly me,

Master
    I would have preferred the pushers to not be of the screwed type. I love the discrete ones on my JP2000 Aqualand.

For some reason, the aqualand still seems more 'serious' (professional?) looking to me...while this looks like it is more in 'fashion'.

Can someone assure me that I can leave the pushers unscrewed and use, say the timer/alarm function while submerged (up to max. 50m)?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    I am on the verge of needing spectacles for daily living. I feel that both the new and old Arnie no longer fulfil my practical needs because I cannot easily read the digital display.

I liked the original even though the backlight was dim and barely illuminated the LCD to the point e i could not read it at night. I like the reimagined Arnie because it looks like an Arnie. The aesthetic of which I have always liked.

I will have to do a separate post of all of my Ana-Digi watches someday, I may have to buy some batteries first though! I suppose it will illustrate my personal perspective on watch collecting. It’s not Top Trumps, i buy them because I like the look of them!

BTW the most practical Ana-Digi I have owned until now is a Breitling B50. I cant see the new Arnie beating that. But that may be because the display on the B50 is bigger, brighter and I am getting more short sighted!
    I understand your concern, I've needed spectacles for a few years now. But I've still ordered one of these, the PADI version from Watcho. Why? because I can't see the day and date on my turtles without my specs on, and it doesn't actually matter once you get used to getting spectacles out of your pocket to read virtually anything else anyway.

Master
    Sadly I decided to send mine back today for exchange or refund if out of stock for weeks. Loved the watch but the poorly aligned second hand managed to fall exactly between the dial markers right the way around the dial which just drove me mad.

Cheers
    Neil

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Sadly I decided to send mine back today for exchange or refund if out of stock for weeks. Loved the watch but the poorly aligned second hand managed to fall exactly between the dial markers right the way around the dial which just drove me mad.

Cheers
    Neil
    That would drive me nuts also. Sounds like an inspection purchase is needed.

Journeyman
    Has anyone else found when screwing/unscrewing the crown its not as smooth as other Seiko's.

There is also a slight clicking sound when opening and securing the crown.

Not sure if this is part of the design with the crown setting the lcd display or a fault.

This is a watch which is on my list...just need to pull my finger (wallet) out!

The movement features, time setting, sleep mode etc (as in the video) make even more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Has anyone else found when screwing/unscrewing the crown its not as smooth as other Seiko's.

There is also a slight clicking sound when opening and securing the crown.

Not sure if this is part of the design with the crown setting the lcd display or a fault.
    Every Seiko I’ve ever owned has had different ‘crown feel’ - some gritty and feel like you’re about to cross-thread, some smooth as butter. For grittiness I’ve used waxed dental floss in the threads which often works miracles. Not sure about the click you describe - do you set the analogue time with the right hand crown and the digital portion synchs to it, or do you set them both separately ? (I thought it was the latter?)

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Not sure about the click you describe - do you set the analogue time with the right hand crown and the digital portion synchs to it, or do you set them both separately ? (I thought it was the latter?)

You actually set the digital time with the right hand crown (and some doings also with the top left), and the analogue hands sync to the digital time that is set. Strange, but very cool to see the hands rotate on their own to match the digital time.

I wonder why they made the right hand crown a crown instead of a button? I find screw down crowns a weak spot on Seiko watches, something Casio avoids completely on most Ana-digi’s - just buttons that do everything - set the digital time, hands syncs to match, no need for something you unscrew and possibly cross thread. More for the style than practicality I guess

Journeyman
    Every Seiko I’ve ever owned has had different ‘crown feel’ - some gritty and feel like you’re about to cross-thread, some smooth as butter. For grittiness I’ve used waxed dental floss in the threads which often works miracles. Not sure about the click you describe - do you set the analogue time with the right hand crown and the digital portion synchs to it, or do you set them both separately ? (I thought it was the latter?)

Journeyman
    Thanks for the reply Rob.

I popped into Seiko Knightsbridge to look at the Arnie they had and the crown operation is the same as mine.

I think your right and 'crown feel' may differ from model to model and watch to watch.

I am pleased with the watch, I don't think you can go far wrong with Seiko.

Ruggerteck below gave a better explanation of the setting of the watch than I could, I agree with him its clever the way the hands spin.
    Last edited by eric; 22nd August 2019 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rob.

I popped into Seiko Knightsbridge to look at the Arnie they had and the crown operation is the same as mine.

I think your right and 'crown feel' may differ from model to model and watch to watch.

I am pleased with the watch, I don't think you can go far wrong with Seiko.

Ruggerteck below gave a better explanation of the setting of the watch than I could, I agree with him its clever the way the hands spin.
    Cheers - must admit the Arnie is high on my list as my next watch. There’s an AD near me, they usually get interesting models like this in pretty quick, I’ll pop on and take a gander

Very rugged, handsome beast but I'd be interested to know if the two crowns dig into the wrist. I think the two crowns suit this piece btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    .....I'd be interested to know if the two crowns dig into the wrist.
    I have worn mine a fair bit, including lugging stuff around and haven’t noticed the crowns or pushers digging in at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    I have worn mine a fair bit, including lugging stuff around and haven’t noticed the crowns or pushers digging in at all!
    TY : )

Master
    Tried one on in town today , felt comfortable to wear
    Came home to buy the Pepsi one on watcho and the code doesn’t work now ... typical

Master
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this - I’ve sort of not bonded with mine so popped it back in the box
    Opened it up today and it goes into a power saver where (I think) the digital goes blank and the hands stop
    It wizzed around to the correct time and the display lit up- pretty cool

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post

Cheers
    Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That would drive me nuts also. Sounds like an inspection purchase is needed.
    Pleased to say I’ve received a replacement watch from Watcho today which is spot on and I’m very happy with the watch and their service.

Cheers
    Neil

Craftsman
    I’ve sort of not bonded with mine
    Considering moving it on??

Been away for a bit and did not even realise this watch existed - blown away as for years I've (day) dreamed of Seiko re-making these.

I love my old 6309-7040 and Doxa Sub autos but in all honesty I wear a quartz G-Shock of some type 99.9% of the time so this will fit in very nicely.

I'm really pleased to say as well that unlike virtually all products that are 're-made' Seiko really seem to have made all the right minor changes this time too in terms of dial size, features etc, Spencer Klein points these out well below.

Only issue I have seen noted is the alarm is useless as with no light or button press watch goes into power save mode after two hours so alarm will not work in the morning??!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Been away for a bit and did not even realise this watch existed - blown away as for years I've (day) dreamed of Seiko re-making these.

I love my old 6309-7040 and Doxa Sub autos but in all honesty I wear a quartz G-Shock of some type 99.9% of the time so this will fit in very nicely.

I'm really pleased to say as well that unlike virtually all products that are 're-made' Seiko really seem to have made all the right minor changes this time too in terms of dial size, features etc, Spencer Klein points these out well below.

Only issue I have seen noted is the alarm is useless as with no light or button press watch goes into power save mode after two hours so alarm will not work in the morning??!
    Have to agree completely with Spencer’s review about the dial balance and crown symmetry. The main reason I sold my original H558 Arnie was the hands seemed way to small for the dial but this is perfect for me.

With regard to the alarm , the watch has a power saving mode in which the alarm still works and a sleep mode when it doesn’t. Power save mode activates after 2 hours of no lights or button presses and sleep mode only kicks in after 3 days of darkness or inactivity.

Cheers
    Neil

Thanks for clearing that up Neil, found it hard to believe it would have such a daft flaw.

Master
    Just bought myself one...

While I like the looks of it, I still do not have a confirmation if you could actually use the pushers underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Just bought myself one...

While I like the looks of it, I still do not have a confirmation if you could actually use the pushers underwater.
    Why would they be screw down if they could be used underwater?

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Maybe to prevent accidental stopping if knocked when under water?

Unlikely though.

Pushers being used under water is an unusual and usually shouted-about feature.

Master
    Perhaps to prevent accidental pressing?

Doxa T-Graph, UTS 600m Chronograph and Oris Prodiver are a few watches, with screw lock pushers that can be used underwater, which instantly come to mind.

Why would Seiko design a Diver's watch, with a Stopwatch function, that cannot time your deco/safety stops?

If so, we are saying that the old Arnie was much better than the new and Seiko have really lost the case with me.

Can you please inform whether the user manual specifically states that you CANNOT use them while submerged? If so, I will list the watch for sale as soon as I receive it.

Master

Pushers being used under water is an unusual and usually shouted-about feature.
    Unusual? Even the old Arnie could do it...40 odd years ago.

As can all my 200 Euro G-shocks and my trusty 300 Euro JP2000. Are we saying this is a fashion watch? I really hope I am wrong.

It's funny I have asked this exact question so many times, on all forums and only got a reply when I actually bought the watch :). It was the last one available so I had to act fast.

Unusual? Even the old Arnie could do it...40 odd years ago.

As can all my 200 Euro G-shocks and my trusty 300 Euro JP2000. Are we saying this is a fashion watch? I really hope I am wrong.

It's funny I have asked this exact question so many times, on all forums and only got a reply when I actually bought the watch :). It was the last one available so I had to act fast.
    Apologies, I was referring to this in the context of mechanicals rather than digital watches.

Shoot Seiko an email? Only they'll be able to tell you what it's rated for.

Master
    Apologies, I was referring to this in the context of mechanicals rather than digital watches.

Shoot Seiko an email? Only they'll be able to tell you what it's rated for.
    None needed :)

I have sent Seiko Japan 3 or so e-mails throughout the years never got a reply...perhaps do not have the correct contact.

Master
    My questions answered on user manual here : https://storage.seikowatches.com/pro...N_20190606.pdf

Clearly stated that buttons to be securely screwed down before diving. That's not how a serious dive watch should be designed in my opinion.

It has a rotating bezel for diving,

Perhaps to prevent accidental pressing?

Doxa T-Graph, UTS 600m Chronograph and Oris Prodiver are a few watches, with screw lock pushers that can be used underwater, which instantly come to mind.

Why would Seiko design a Diver's watch, with a Stopwatch function, that cannot time your deco/safety stops?

If so, we are saying that the old Arnie was much better than the new and Seiko have really lost the case with me.

Can you please inform whether the user manual specifically states that you CANNOT use them while submerged? If so, I will list the watch for sale as soon as I receive it.
    Valid point, bit of a brainfart on my account, apologies!
    Not surprised by the fact that they are not operable under water though, I think the vintage version is more of an anomaly in this regard to be fair.

Master
    Valid point, bit of a brainfart on my account, apologies!
    Not surprised by the fact that they are not operable under water though, I think the vintage version is more of an anomaly in this regard to be fair.
    No problem :).

Unfortunately I'm picky like that, so it's a no go for me....it will be returned or straight to SC. A shame really, as it's one of the very few current Seiko's I like the look of.

I recall that every G shock, with the exception of the frogman, states in the manual not to operate the buttons underwater. But read G shock fora and lots of divers wear a 6900 or 5600 and use the pushers underwater with no ill effect. I think it’s called ‘covering yourself’ tbh. Funny thing is the frogman imho is pretty hard to read on dry land, must be rubbish as a divers watch!

Master
    I recall that every G shock, with the exception of the frogman, states in the manual not to operate the buttons underwater. But read G shock fora and lots of divers wear a 6900 or 5600 and use the pushers underwater with no ill effect. I think it’s called ‘covering yourself’ tbh. Funny thing is the frogman imho is pretty hard to read on dry land, must be rubbish as a divers watch!

I've taken quite a few Frogman models diving throughout the years. All were clearly readable to me, as the norm with most other dive watches.

My SMPc with sword hands, is another case of watch which is normally reputed to have rubbish hands, to be very clearly legible in all circumstances in my experience.

I've taken quite a few Frogman models diving throughout the years. All were clearly readable to me, as the norm with most other dive watches.

My SMPc with sword hands, is another case of watch which is normally reputed to have rubbish hands, to be very clearly legible in all circumstances in my experience.
    To be fair, it’s probably my ageing eyes as much as anything!!

Received my original Arnie back

Last week before a recent holiday I managed to collect my original Arnie from Seiko UK in London, after a 2 month wait (no issue just couldn't make it). As this watch means a lot to me (birth yr watch, bought by my dad and giving to me when i was 18) thought I'd go dealer for a service, battery change & pressure test. Plus an excuse to browse the boutique and Harrods!

After being informed Seiko couldn't service the watch as parts no longer available, a slight mix up on the battery change - this was later done and pressure tested. I was happy to pick the watch up, also seemed to be sporting a new OEM strap, which anyone who owns one will know are a bugger to remove. Bezel action still extremely stiff, can only move when had running water under, but original scratches all present - happy days!

Also managed to try on the new Pepsi Arnie and it wears a lot bigger but lighter than the original. Received a nice little Seiko box, something I don't have with mine, would've enjoyed the Tuna Can box they were presenting upon opening but guess no more available. Also received a letter stating due to my loyalty i can have 30% of a new watch up to the RRP of £500 (yes I know this is about the receiving more £s), but as it's my fathers 60th just gone, when he finally arrives back from living abroad, I'm going to treat him to the new Arnie.