closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I gather its a "yes" on that front... and I can say, it is a REALLY nice clasp. In chatting with Lorne, he explained to me that these new straps will have a 3D printed core, to create the perfect curve - engineered to fit comfortably. The clasp, is placed so as to hold you at the back of the wrist, just where your run of tendons are, in line with the thumb. In practice?... it WORKS! Utterly comfortable.

Congrats on ordering #135. I look forward to seeing your flag added to the map!! https://marinechronometer.co.uk/inde...e-in-the-world
    Thanks for that photo, and description, I'm pleased you're enjoying your new acquisition.
    Heartening to see the majority of sales seem to be UK based, though nice to see a spread too. I am a touch concerned about the geographical map, as a defender owner we are encouraged Not to share on media sites where we are, they are being stolen weekly never to be recovered.
    So publicly displaying the whereabouts of the field engineer might be the same?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The new butterfly deployment looks much better than the standard clasp on my mark 1.
    Enjoy it....Lorne is it possible to order a new strap and new style deployment for my mark 1 Field Engineer, if so could you pm me details please.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I am a touch concerned about the geographical map, as a defender owner we are encouraged Not to share on media sites where we are, they are being stolen weekly never to be recovered.
    So publicly displaying the whereabouts of the field engineer might be the same?
    The flag only goes on the nearest town centre or city... and NOT on the roof of your house.. don't worry!

Postal Town
    Morpeth

Craftsman
    #134 should be with me by Friday 👍 and will according to the map the first in Somerset

Very much looking forward to its arrival and it will be heading out to the UAE 🇦🇪 with me next Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    #134 should be with me by Friday and will according to the map the first in Somerset

Very much looking forward to its arrival and it will be heading out to the UAE with me next Sunday
    Great
    EnJoY wearing probably the most exclusive watch in UAE

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Que. You're going back a bit aren't you grandad
    Sure am.

Luckily at the tender age of 61 not one of my 4 kids has made me a grandad, thank Fcuk.

Craftsman
    Great
    EnJoY wearing probably the most exclusive watch in UAE

Cheers Mick, most exclusive probably yes, most expensive no - but hugely better value than most

Craftsman
    Cheers Mick, most exclusive probably yes, most expensive no - but hugely better value than most

Depends where you are in the UAE; one of the big banks there has 5 FE owners and another will also be reaching 5 owners by the end of Aug. It's perhaps the only place you're in danger of meeting someone else with one on their wrist!

Edit: Plus mine of course, which is sometimes there and normally doubles as a navigation back-up when the gps has fallen to pieces from driving or boating over bumpy things far too fast. (the fastest all terrain vehicles in the world are any car/speed-boat that you don't own).

Last edited by LorneG; 18th June 2018 at 09:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Depends where you are in the UAE; one of the big banks there has 5 FE owners and another will also be reaching 5 owners by the end of Aug. It's perhaps the only place you're in danger of meeting someone else with one on their wrist!

Edit: Plus mine of course, which is sometimes there and normally doubles as a navigation back-up when the gps has fallen to pieces from driving or boating over bumpy things far too fast. (the fastest all terrain vehicles in the world are any car/speed-boat that you don't own).

I’ll be in Abu Dhabi

I will report any other Field Engineers I spot in the wild! (Hotel bar most likely)

The aircraft GPS units we use are RTCA DO-160 qualified so tend to cope with the shake and bake the see in use. I hope not to rely on the watch, it is reassuring to know the level of engineering and robustness however

Review of my Field Engineer WARNING…PHOTO HEAVY

Ladies and Gentlemen allow me to present the Offshore Professional Field Engineer no. 131!

Yesterday afternoon I drove over to The Clock Gallery and collected my brand-new FE from Darius, the watchmaker who actually builds them.

I’ll give my initial impressions afterwards, but first, let’s take a look at what all the fuss it about…

The outer box is errr, a box! Doesn’t give anything away although it does however have the magic number 131 written on it…

Opening the box presents you with a splendid 2-watch leather roll, beginning to suggest that there might be something rather lovely inside.

The inside of the box is nicely lined, and the logo + ‘Offshore Professional Chronographs’ stamped into the inside of the box top is a nice touch.

Of course, what we’re really waiting for is to see the watch itself.

I should point out that I decided to buy another strap for it and ask Darius to fit it as part of the build, in place of either the steel bracelet or the black leather strap (both of which are included in the package). I’ll talk more about that after these photos…

Here’s a close-up…

Of course, we need the obligatory wrist shots. As you can see the strap isn’t yet properly moulded to the shape of my wrist so there are ‘air gaps’ either side of my wrist at the moment – I have no doubt that it will settle down with a little more wear…

These are the two straps that come with the watch as standard, the black leather curved end strap (wearing the Hirsch buckle that came off my supplied strap), and the excellent quality ‘Engineer’-style steel bracelet.

Here they are alongside the watch on my Hirsch strap…

Finally, a photo of the ‘full set’…

…and a slightly arty shot of the watch on top of the alternative straps…

So I guess the obvious question is… after all the anticipation, does it live up to expectations?

I own some very nice watches – three Breitlings, an Omega and a Doxa amongst them. I know what good quality looks like, and by any standards this is a watch that punches well above its weight.

First of all, it’s absolutely beautiful. I know Lorne makes a lot of the fact that the design is about classical purity and is not supposed to make concessions to fashion, but however you look at it, this thing’s stunning. In no particular order:

• The different textures and surfacing on the dial are very clever. They avoid large flat one-dimensional areas and draw the eye to different elements of the design. The dial is also a very subtle mix of colours, incorporating cream and silver with grey sub-dials.
    • It’s very easy to read, I love the ‘propellor’ second hand and the trident on the chronograph hand is really well executed.
    • The case is superbly finished with brushed sides and polished top surfaces on the lugs. Very substantial and a great size. Short downturned lugs help to shape the case to your wrist.
    • The tachymeter bezel works brilliantly with the overall design.
    • The edges of the bezel and caseback as well as crown and pushers are all knurled
    • I really love the separated treatment of the day and date – I think combined day/date windows often look incredibly clumsy; two separate circular windows avoid that completely.
    • Both crystals are completely flat and the view looks great front and back. The serial number engraved onto the rotor is one of many nice touches.

From a functional perspective, the movement is an upgraded version of the 7750, so it’s a known reliable engine. It has a little of the classic ‘Valjoux wobble’ although interestingly it’s far less noticeable in the Field Engineer than it is in my Breitling Navitimer World (the movement in that being based on the 7754). I have no idea why, although my guess would be that it’s to do with the case construction damping down the oscillations somehow (no doubt Lorne will put his engineering hat on and weigh in with a technical explanation in due course).

The watch is currently running at +2 seconds – if it stays at that I’ll be well pleased.

The chrono pushers operate with a crisp, tactile click, as does the crown. The sub-dial hands hit their markers precisely and the chrono hand snaps back to Top Dead Centre perfectly – the whole watch feels beautifully engineered.

The watch wears well, with a 44mm case diameter translating into 53mm lug to lug. To some that may seem big, but due to the downturned lugs it’s very comfortable and the use of the supplied deployment ensures that the watch head sits perfectly on the wrist. In truth, I like big watches anyway and if it had been any smaller I probably wouldn’t have bought it.

I can’t comment on the steel bracelet as I’ve not put it on, but it appears to be solid and well made, and it’s built in 5 rows of links, alternating brushed and polished. It’s a nice touch and a feature shared with the bracelet on my Doxa Sub 1500t – it looks great and ‘lifts’ it so that it doesn’t just seem like one uniform mass of metal.

The OE black leather strap with black stitching is curved end and fits the case perfectly – I know this because it’s the same basic construction as the Hirsch Principal that I have on mine. Having the Field Engineer on the brown Hirsch strap was a personal choice for me prompted by the fact that it’ll fit better into my collection rather than being on a black strap. I’m pleased I did it – it works brilliantly with the case and dial and I love the fit, quality - and the colour is awesome. I also prefer contrast stitching to matching.

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading these reflections and checking out the photos (I’m not in Johnny E’s class as a photographer but they’ve come out pretty well, I think). More to the point, I hope it may inspire some of you to go to the website and consider one for yourself – I’m not on commission but I can’t recommend this watch or Lorne highly enough. How often does the owner of a watch manufacturer phone you up from his car to tell you how pleased he is that you’ve just collected one of his watches?!

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 21st June 2018 at 19:28.

Master
    Good review, thanks. I’d love to see a black dialled version.

Great review and some really nice photos. I do like the choice of strap you made, croc ? It's made me really eager to see others. My yearn for a Daytona long since went out of the window with the discovery of the Field Engineer. The name even sounds better to me lol. EnJoY wearing it Simon. 131 is a nice set of numbers too.

Great review and some really nice photos. I do like the choice of strap you made, croc ? It's made me really eager to see others. My yearn for a Daytona long since went out of the window with the discovery of the Field Engineer. The name even sounds better to me lol. EnJoY wearing it Simon. 131 is a nice set of numbers too.

Thanks Mick, I wanted the review to do the watch justice.

The strap is a Hirsch Leonardo Principal with curved ends in 'auburn' alligator grain and contrast stitching. I don't know about auburn, I'd say the colour's chestnut.

No way do you want a Daytona, mate - this is less expensive, more exclusive... you get the picture! Oh, and Daytonas are dinky little things, too...

Simon

Craftsman
    Given that the self-winding rotor is a custom-built component, there’s bound to be a little engineering and tinkering in it. Less Valjoux wobble because it has a different mass distribution to that in your Breitling and the movement holder provides a layer of isolation.

Your photos are excellent Simon and of course I’m going to phone you up when I’m driving as thumb typing an email is not very safe. It looks like shadows at the base of the chronograph lower push button, but you’ve got me a little concerned that it might be sitting slightly too high. Perhaps you can check and if necessary I’ll reset it. Hand-built of course means each chronograph has slight variances to each other. +2 seconds a day on the timing is good and will hopefully slowly move to +1 or spot-on as the movement fully beds in and the hot weather turns a little cooler.

I thought I’d get the chance for some decent vibration testing on my Field Engineer earlier today, as normal experience with helicopters is that they can shake your fillings out. This one though was incredibly smooth, so I’ve got no concerns at all that PeteS (below) won’t be able to shake his Field Engineer to bits as it’s the same type his company uses.

Can anyone guess which city we roof skipped over? Dutch crew so they slowed down and circled each football stadium! Last pic I have to include as it’s the actual flag that Amundsen planted at the South Pole in 1911. I would have thought he’d left it there for Scott to find, but he bought it back with him. Amazing to suddenly see it in an office the other day.

Last edited by LorneG; 20th June 2018 at 19:23.

Great review and picture set Simon The brown strap really changes the overall look doesnt it? I see these are now discontinued straps... so get them while you can! https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...ch-straps/22mm

** DISCONTINUED MODEL - LIMITED STOCK AVAILABILITY **
    The Principal range of straps ( Curve Ended ) are no longer being manufactured; availability of current models is only as shown.

Craftsman
    #132 has arrived here and very happy with it. Sized the bracelet but got it back on the leather at the moment.

Nice review there. That brown strap suits it rather well.

Lorne do you have any pics of the new straps?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    #132 has arrived here and very happy with it. Sized the bracelet but got it back on the leather at the moment.

Nice review there. That brown strap suits it rather well.

Lorne do you have any pics of the new straps?
    Couple more days and if the final pre-production prototype looks good I'll post a few pics. Prototypes are focussed on the engineering as oppose to aesthetic finishing details though.

I really enjoyed watching this.. its John from dangerous9straps who makes the custom straps (as opposed to the new ones Lorne refers to above).... some day... some day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Good review, thanks. I’d love to see a black dialled version.
    Obviously at the moment the Field Engineer as you see it is the only model Lorne builds. I’m not sure how well the dial design would adapt to black - I suspect you would lose a lot of the impact...

Simon

Great review and picture set Simon The brown strap really changes the overall look doesnt it? I see these are now discontinued straps... so get them while you can! https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...ch-straps/22mm
    Thanks Johnny. I’ve always tended to write reviews of my incoming watches, and this one certainly deserves it!

I’m glad you like the photos. For some reason the light is great on my kitchen table, so it even flatters my iPhone photos!

You’re right that Hirsch have discontinued the Leonardo - I couldn’t get the colour I wanted in 22mm from WatchObsession, so I picked up mine from watchbandcenter. There will be a curved end replacement in due course and I gather Lorne has been assured by Hirsch that they will still fit the FE.

Simon

Lovely review Simon

You would be well justified in starting your own thread on it.

It has raised enough curiosity for me to start the research process

Master
    Yep. Tried to buy one this morning.

There is no 20mm of the Principal or Leonardo available anywhere in any style :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Lovely review Simon

You would be well justified in starting your own thread on it.
    Thank you very much, I enjoyed writing it.

I had thought about moving it to its own thread as I suspect some people will miss it otherwise. I might still do so.

I’m pleased if it has moved you to look into the watch!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    Yep. Tried to buy one this morning.

There is no 20mm of the Principal or Leonardo available anywhere in any style :-(
    Have a look at watchbandcenter.com...

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Have a look at watchbandcenter.com...

Simon
    Thanks Simon but nothing in 20mm unfortunately.

Simon, great review and certainly an interesting watch.

Can you confirm what size wrist you have? I'm trying to get an idea of size/fit of the watch based on your photo above.

Thank you very much, I enjoyed writing it.

I had thought about moving it to its own thread as I suspect some people will miss it otherwise. I might still do so.

I’m pleased if it has moved you to look into the watch!

Simon

What about I change this thread's title - to "Marine Chronometer Company - Offshore Professional Owners Thread" ?? keep us and our info all in one thread.

Craftsman
    What about I change this thread's title - to "Marine Chronometer Company - Offshore Professional Owners Thread" ?? keep us and our info all in one thread.
    I think go for it, has pretty much become that anyway!

Chuffed to bits with mine, I was a bit concerned about the size but it doesn't wear as large as the numbers might indicate. It's good a good heft to it, but I quite like that. Feels very solid, bashed it on the door post earlier and was half expecting to see a big chunk of wood missing. Chrono pushers have a nice solid click to them and the adjustment crown works well, interesting that it's not a screw down but still manages decent water resistance (explanation). The propeller style second hand is very interesting and looks great. Mine came with a blue Hirsch, not normally a fan of plain straps but this one is pretty nice and I like that it's as rugged as the watch. The Teju ones on Lorne's website look great, pricey though. Am keeping an interested eye on the strap developments!

It was purchased as a 40th present for myself, had been investigating a number of well known pieces but none were quite doing it for me. Feel like I've made the right choice with this one and it's a bargain compared to many. As much as the watch it was a case of buy the seller, I've found Lorne very open and approachable, happy to extensively answer as many daft questions as I can think of and shoot the breeze. Given recent issues I've had getting another watch fixed under warranty, customer service is a bit more of a priority for me, to be honest someone who can manage responding to e-mails is about all it takes to keep me happy but it seems some companies can't even do that these days, however that's for another thread.

I tried it on the bracelet, very comfortable and excellent quality, I was able to have a bit of slack without the watch moving around so gives a bit of room for the wrist to expand as it seems to on hot days:

Journeyman
    This thread has made me reappraise what I might get next!! looks fantastic, Moved rapidly up my buying chart to No1 I think :-)

Scottie

FWIW mine (#115) still sits proud. It's a function of the fact that the strap doesn't (can't) swivel on the lugs so the bend on the strap for an inch or so from the lug is effectively fixed.

It looks a bit odd to start with if you normally wear your watches on a strap, but you soon get used to it.

The upside is that the because the strap/lug connection is fixed, the watch always sits at the same point on the wrist. It doesn't roll about, which makes the watch wear a bit smaller than its size suggests it might. All IMHO.

Of course, we need the obligatory wrist shots. As you can see the strap isn’t yet properly moulded to the shape of my wrist so there are ‘air gaps’ either side of my wrist at the moment – I have no doubt that it will settle down with a little more wear…

Craftsman
    Good to see you bashed it on a door frame wombleh, and no doubt you'll be pleased with the 2 year no-quibble-fix-any-damage warranty that allows you to do just that. A new watch can be a bit like a new coffee table in that you'll bang your shins on it once or twice, but will subconsciously learn not to do it too many times. I'm going to double the warranty period when the new strap becomes standard, and include the new strap in it as I'm confident it'll way outlast anyone else's. As with all things, anything new gets backdated to existing owners, so the warranty extension will cover yours and the new strap will be available at a lower cost than the price rise that'll accompany its introduction.

I'm 100% with you on customer service. Always annoyed me that you'd spend a fortune on a watch and then get very variable service from the company that made it, a claim that anything wrong was outside the warranty and a rather hefty bill when it came time for a new strap or a movement service. I like to do things a little differently, with ethics and integrity as core values. No screw down push buttons as noted by an earlier post, but you do have to promise you didn't push the buttons whilst swimming under water if they leak!

Hirsch strap size incidentally for the earlier post is 22 mm at the lugs and 20 mm at the clasp. The butterfly clasp transfers nicely. Hirsch promised me they will introduce a new curved end strap, but I've yet to see it and it was anyway a good incentive to get on and make a strap that's an order of magnitude better.

Black dial I've looked into and tried out a couple of times, but as noted, I haven't got the shade and colour balances right.

Currently just the one model, but in due course there will be another. No rush though and bear in mind the Field Engineer took 5 years to go from concept to sales and then another 3 years to get to the OO-spec that I'm completely happy with.

Emailing and chatting with customers is a top priority, not just from pure interest, but also because you pick up an awful lot of good info and thoughts from people that are genuine watch lovers.
    Last edited by LorneG; 21st June 2018 at 13:38.

A new watch can be a bit like a new coffee table in that you'll bang your shins on it once or twice, but will subconsciously learn not to do it too often.
    Why would you bang your shins on your new watch, Lorne?!

Simon

Craftsman
    Good to see you bashed it on a door frame wombleh, and no doubt you'll be pleased with the 2 year no-quibble-fix-any-damage warranty that allows you to do just that.
    Will try to avoid it, I suspect the watch would be fine but I don't really want to spend the next 6 months sanding and filling woodwork.

Reminds me of when I worked as a PC field engineer for a big UK seller, visited one place which had been diagnosed as "replace motherboard - warranty repair", got there and the PC was U shaped where they'd run it over, completely flat in the middle. Unfortunate accident while moving house, that just happened to be 2 weeks before warranty ran out. Unsurprisingly I didn't fix it and I don't think he got a replacement either!

Is the floating crown better than a screw-down for impact resistance?
    Last edited by wombleh; 21st June 2018 at 17:04.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post

Is the floating crown better than a screw-down for impact resistance?
    Yes and the sole reason I went floating rather than screw down. Screw down is better for guaranteeing water resistance, but you have a nice solid load path from outer case right to the heart of the movement. A floating crown removes the load path and provides a step up in impact resistance. From personal experience I figured more watches would be knocked off the poolside lounger whilst reaching for a beer than would be used for pearl diving or something similarly active. Three seals in the crown as it gets used more than the buttons, and twin seals in the buttons already makes them quite a firm push.

Craftsman
    I’ve come late to the FE story, but scrolling through this thread and viewing the photos has me realising what a well made and truly lovely watch this is. I see an owners flag in Aberdeen, and as I work in the oil industry I’m going to have to keep an even more keen eye on the wrists of colleagues to see if I can spot it!!
    Great to hear first hand stories of new owners having such positive customer satisfaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@ JohnnyE: I wonder if you should change the thread title to read 'Owners Thread - Offshore Professional Field Engineer'.

Just a thought...

Simon

@ JohnnyE: I wonder if you should change the thread title to read 'Owners Thread - Offshore Professional Field Engineer'.

Just a thought...

Simon
    I tried Simon... 1 week limit to do that and this thread started 2 years ago.

I tried Simon... 1 week limit to do that and this thread started 2 years ago.
    Oh, how peculiar. Never knew that. Ah well, never mind...

Simon

Master
    I very nearly pulled the trigger on one of these after a big PPI refund 4 or 5 years ago. Kicking myself I did something sensible and boring with the money instead. The silver lining is that I love the way the watch has evolved since then with the oo dial etc.
    I'm a lover of GMT and world time complications and would love to see a 24 hour bezel and gmt hand on the FE but I doubt that'll ever happen, I also rather like the red sweep hand prototype on the website but again not an option.
    We've just put in another PPI claim so if that happens who knows....

Oh, how peculiar. Never knew that. Ah well, never mind...

Simon
    Yeah - Eddie addressed the question here : https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post2364250

Craftsman
    #134 was delivered 30 mins ago

First impressions are excellent, I will be wearing the watch on a trip to the UAE next week and will post my thoughts after an extended period of wear

Simons review a couple of days ago was excellent and made the wait for today’s delivery even harder

Seriously impressive looking watches.

First impressions are excellent, I will be wearing the watch on a trip to the UAE next week and will post my thoughts after an extended period of wear

Simons review a couple of days ago was excellent and made the wait for today’s delivery even harder
    Be safe and travel well.
    EnJoY wearing 134 and spotting others on your journey
    135 a few more weeks away yet, but in no rush.
    Enjoying the various threads and feeling rather smug to be in such esteemed eliteness

Craftsman
    Be safe and travel well.
    EnJoY wearing 134 and spotting others on your journey
    135 a few more weeks away yet, but in no rush.
    Enjoying the various threads and feeling rather smug to be in such esteemed eliteness

Many thanks Mick

I will do. When #135 you will not be disappointed! Daytona’s phah!

Not an owner yet, but I am very drawn to them. I like the 12h Roman numeral bezel version, but I guess it is fixed rather than rotatable. I have a little fixation on the (increasingly madly priced) Tudor Big block 79170, so if Lorne gets round to a rotatable 12h bezel, I shall be most compelled to get one!

Dave

Craftsman
    Johnny

That’s looks great, a really good sharp image

Really enjoying #134 and bonding with it

Pete

Thank you for the compliment and I’m sorry it made waiting harder

I bet you think the wait was worth it now, though...

Simon