closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appreciating SS Rolex

Apprentice

Appreciating SS Rolex

Frequent lurker here...anyone else feel less inclined to wear a specific piece because it’s appreciated a lot? I’ve never fallen in love with my BLNR because of this, just don’t want £10k on my wrist really and end up constantly wearing my scratched up Sub ND!

I can’t be the only one afflicted by this? Still looks great though!

So now I find myself wanting to change up my collection and have started looking at 5digit less than immaculate pieces but they are crazy money now also! What happened to £5k GMT’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nah.. I just wear them.
    Models like the BLNR and 116610LV have appreciated enormously, to the extent that most owners who bought sensibly could afford to service them prior to selling them on without losing a penny.
    I would prefer to have worn an appreciated a watch rather than not getting much pleasure from it due to worry.

Craftsman
    Watches are to be worn. Even with a few scratches I imagine a BLNR would still command a premium over rrp. Depends on why you purchased the watch in the first place. If you bought it to wear it wear it, the increase in value is just an upside. If you speculatively purchased it as an investment piece then that's a slightly different situation

Bit of a far fetched analogy but my house is constantly increasing in value, doesn't mean I don't live in it for fear of damaging it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wear it. You will still get more then you paid for it when time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by Gary G View Post
    What happened to £5k GMT’s!
    The same as what happened to £6k BLNRs!

Apprentice
    Haha yes good point!

Well the BLNR was my grail piece but it took ages to get hold of one from an AD so I’ve ended up with Sub ND, blue dial DJ41, Tudor GMT and an SD43 before getting it.

Now I find myself just not that into the BLNR, despite all the hype and rumours of discontinuing (bs I think personally). My problem is, I just can’t bring myself to sell it or any of my watches haha wouldn’t even know the best way to go about it!

Craftsman
    Just wear it - thats what it's there for!

Quote Originally Posted by Siysiy View Post
    Just wear it - thats what it's there for!
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Agreed, I'd just wear it but it's your watch to do with as you see fit.

If you are not wearing it due to the value and think it might still go up you could stick it in a deposit box and forget about it :)

I like the house analogy as well btw!

Yep, exactly this. I wore my Kermit daily for a decade, to fix the car, dig the garden the works. Last summer I found myself much more aware of the value and the fact that if I did lose it worse get robbed for it I would be unable to replace it. So I got a speedy for everyday wear. I still wear the LV now but only for good occasions

Craftsman
    If I didn’t wear a watch because of appreciation value then I wouldn’t have a watch to wear!

I sense that within a couple of weeks - you will have moved it on.

Master
    Definitely an intriguing mind-set issue.

The collectors view can often be to preserve and protect. The mainstream view is to use and enjoy.

The financial status probably plays a part in that attitude. Pushing the boat out for any watch might make some veer towards the former. The more affluent are likely to fash less when they know they can easily afford the repair/replacement bill.

The nature of your job is also a factor. As a white collar worker who drives to work I have no qualms about wearing my most expensive pieces (chicken feed value compared to many on here). I can see many blue collar workers or public transport users having to be more judicious.

There is definitely something sad about both an unworn watch (unless the Marie Antoinette) and an abused watch (unless designed as a cheap beater).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Just 245 posts to go to,

Journeyman
    Hi everyone, I'm in danger of falling into this mindset myself. I have a 16570 Explorer II but just put down a deposit for a new Explorer - I found myself thinking I'll look after my 18 year old Exp II more carefully once I have the new piece as a daily wearer - madness! There's something about that radial brushed bezel that makes me baby a robust tool watch.

The trick is to buy an Omega Flightmaster with 861 manual movement, have it serviced and wear that instead of the BLNR. Unless you have it relumed (or redialed) it won't glow at night and you probably shouldn't go swimming with it but it's a pilot's watch at a fraction of the price of a Rolex GMT. And in my eyes better looking too.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I agree - I'm off on holiday - previously I've taken my Sub, 5513 or Explorer - just bought a SKX 007 to take instead, plus an old CVC

Craftsman
    Frequent lurker here...anyone else feel less inclined to wear a specific piece because it’s appreciated a lot? I’ve never fallen in love with my BLNR because of this, just don’t want £10k on my wrist really and end up constantly wearing my scratched up Sub ND!

So now I find myself wanting to change up my collection and have started looking at 5digit less than immaculate pieces but they are crazy money now also! What happened to £5k GMT’s!

Don't you have to sit in the left hand seat to be allowed to wear a Rolex? Nice instrument panel; what's the plane?

For a few years I used to wear my Double Red seadweller all day, every day .. Even when working on motorcycles in my workshop, which is my business.

I thought i had a (very) rough idea of what it was worth, then someone told me it's current value a couple of years ago, a big difference to what i had thought.
    I haven't worn it since.

Craftsman
    I’d suggest just wearing it too. I have mine on today and it’s taken quite a beating and has scratches and marks all over but it’s a keeper.

If you did come to sell it, a simple service at Rolex would see it coming back as good as new anyway

I’m abit more careful with my LV, but even that is worn atleast twice a week. Could sell both for a healthy profit as I got them at RRP but i’m not interested in any profit and want to wear them.

Master
    Must admit to just (this week) having ‘retired’ my DRSD. Just cannot face the risk of losing/damaging it any more. Feel a bit guilty though, having had it wrapped around my wrist for 38 years almost non-stop.

Master
    Although it's not worth a fortune, i wear my Rolex EXP II whilst working out and about on an oil rig. I don't baby my watches. Almost anything can be repaired. Why let it sit in a box and not enjoy it for what it is?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Haha I’ve never sold a watch yet! Although a friend is interested.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Just 245 posts to go to,
    Best get spamming

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Don't you have to sit in the left hand seat to be allowed to wear a Rolex? Nice instrument panel; what's the plane?
    Funny you say that, most captains are too tight (expensive ex wives) to buy nice watches! It’s a TUI Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Journeyman
    Edited
    Last edited by Itizme; 10th January 2019 at 15:07.

Buy, insure, wear.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    For a few years I used to wear my Double Red seadweller all day, every day .. Even when working on motorcycles in my workshop, which is my business.

I thought i had a (very) rough idea of what it was worth, then someone told me it's current value a couple of years ago, a big difference to what i had thought.
    I haven't worn it since.
    It’s a shame isn’t it but you would have to be very wealthy not to be concerned about the value!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    Similar question was asked once on a car forum, so you've got a cheapish run around that you will drive / park anywhere, use it all the time no worries. A few years down the line it's been expensively modified and all of a sudden you are cautious about using it and precious about where you park it etc what to do ?

The best reply was this

"Well you wouldn't not Shag your missus, to keep her tight for the next bloke "

Bit crude but very succinct.

You should wear it.

It’s a shame isn’t it but you would have to be very wealthy not to be concerned about the value!

Or unfussed about money

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Or unfussed about money
    Or simply that if it gets damaged and any repair needed it's no longer original.

Newer watches i wouldn't worry about wearing whatever their value. All parts are readily available.. try getting a superdome for a DRSD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    Similar question was asked once on a car forum, so you've got a cheapish run around that you will drive / park anywhere, use it all the time no worries. A few years down the line it's been expensively modified and all of a sudden you are cautious about using it and precious about where you park it etc what to do ?

The best reply was this

[deleted]

Bit crude but very succinct.

You should wear it.
    Careful. This is a public forum - there are other parts of the forum for such banter.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Or simply that if it gets damaged and any repair needed it's no longer original.

Newer watches i wouldn't worry about wearing whatever their value. All parts are readily available.. try getting a superdome for a DRSD.
    That issue isn't restricted to watches whose worth has spiralled

Blog Entries
    OP: If you are worried about loss or damage (to anything really) buy decent personal possessions insurance. As the BLNR is not vintage it could be repaired / replaced. Vintage models - more difficult.

(That topic has been covered a few times on here).

Master

As others have said. Either wear it for special occasions or sell it. Personally I wouldn’t keep a watch I get no satisfaction from. I’d rather sell it for one I would wear.

Banned
    No point owning watches if your never gonna wear them . The whole point of saving and then buying your grail watch is too enjoy it , as mentioned you can always have it serviced by Rolex prior to selling

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I don’t see why there would be a need to be concerned about value increase. The amount you paid for the watch doesn’t change so you don’t ‘lose’ any of your previously spent funds. If anything it helps to justify wearing it as you would still get your money’s worth even out of a well worn example.

I think that the people who buy watches and then are too frightened to wear them are probably spending outside their comfort zone.

Get something cheaper and wear it all the time without fretting.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think that the people who buy watches and then are too frightened to wear them are probably spending outside their comfort zone.

Yeah I think nail on head

I'm guilty of over-protecting my watches too and find myself reaching for my low cost beaters far too often. I think it's partly due to me being left handed and wearing my watches there like most people do. Any tasks around the house, garage and garden and I'm leading with my left hand, pushing it towards the bangs and scrapes. Right handed people at least have the benefit of wearing on the arm that waves around a bit less. If i'm wearing something nice and don't want to take it off, I sometimes wear a sweat band over the watch while I'm pottering about.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

There is possibly a lot to that.

When I first made the sacrifice - a Rolex Sports was around £2k new. They didn't drop much, if at all in price (model dependent). Now they are a £6k watch new, and some command up to around £8k-£10k used. So... personally I don't see the difference of wearing a £4k (maybe even a £2k or even much less in some places/countries) watch to wearing a £10k watch, for all intents and purposes they have the same ability to be stolen, will cost around the same to service, and can be sorted out should anything happen to them.

I did think twice for a while when wearing my Patek 5711 when the usual suspects started advertising their used stock at around 3 times the price I bought mine new at the boutique - but I like the watch, it only cost me what it cost me, and the current "value" is an opportunity cost - it's not going down (at present) and I enjoy wearing it.

The OP has a Sub, ad DJ, and SD and a Tudor GMT - he should just be seeing this as just another of his watches, that is suitably different from the others to fit in.

Of course the model will be discontinued - all Rolex watches are discontinued, at some stage, and they will introduce the newer movements across all models - whether or not an updated replacement is put into production with the same bezel (which would be my prediction) is another thing.

Wear it and enjoy it in rotation with the rest! Or sell it and then kick yourself in a few years time :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    as mentioned you can always have it serviced by Rolex prior to selling

TZ-UK mobile app
    And if you've put a deep gouge in the case, or damaged the bezel, how is this going to fix it? It amuses me how people think a 'service by Rolex' will transform a battered watch into a new one again.

I think there's a valid point here, once a watch reaches a certain value it makes no sense to risk getting it damaged and hence the wearability diminishes.

Much of it depends on activities/lifestyle, but attitude to risk also has a bearing. Many watches are now too expensive to enjoy, personally I would take no pleasure in wearing a watch that's worth over £10K , I really wouldn't. Turn the clock back 15 years and most watches were worth less than £3K, far happier times IMO.

Thesedays I prefer something worth a few hundred pounds for everyday wear. I like some of the cheaper Rolex models but I liked them a whole lot more when they were worth a lot less.

I could pull the money out of my back pocket if I wished, that's not the point, it's the conspicuous consumption aspect that troubles me thesedays. Some folks revel in it, I`m the opposite.

Just wait for the next level - wearing a £20k (or £40k resale) uninsured Patek on the your wrist.

Master
    There are plenty of people who do just that.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Maybe in London, but not in my part of the world!

Similar feeling here. Have had my BLNR since 2015 and love it but once it is officially discontinued at Basel and the prices go even higher I will probably retire mine to the safe and for special occasions.

A friend with a £40k+ spend with London AD who was on the list for a BLNR just got a text this morning from the manager saying it is officially gone and that they would work hard to get him something new from Basel ASAP. This with Rolex Passion Report 'confirming' the BLNR as discontinued a few weeks ago has convinced me enough.

Shame, as I love wearing it but there's a big difference between wearing a 6k watch and a 9-10k watch. I just wouldn't feel as comfortable.

I will probably pick up a second hand DSOTM or starting wearing my Sub ND after Basel.

Craftsman
    All this value stuff seems to be a new phenomenon. No criticism but I do find it curious. I haven’t bought a new watch for 15 years, though I have recently become re-interested and have one on order at the moment. In my day, ‘when it were all fields’ you bought a watch and assumed it depreciated from day one. The idea of watches holding much value never entered my mind, though the value of some that I bought in those days is pleasantly surprising to find out I suppose. I was on TZ in the US for about 5 years back than and don’t recall a single thread ever talking about resale values.

They are just watches. The idea that they are asset classes will pass and the alternative investors will move in to something else I imagine.

Personally, I just wear mine. None are insured and if any get nicked I will be angry but that wouldn’t stop me wearing them. If I had watch that was worth a ton of money I think I would just sell it but I have never sold a watch and probably never will, so they don’t really have any monetary value until I am dead.

Best to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I'm one of them (too tight for a safe and extra insurance!).

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Buy, insure, wear.
    This,The BLNR is a watch for wearing!

Apprentice
    Maybe I just don’t like the BLNR that much