closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Rolex Datejust would you pick out of these?

Apprentice

Which Rolex Datejust would you pick out of these?

Which one out of the following would you pick, and why?

1. Two tone Oystersteel and yellow gold with white dial: https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6233-0029.html
    2. Oystersteel and yellow gold with blue dial: https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6234-0017.html
    3. Two tone Oystersteel and yellow gold with champagne dial: https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6233-0015.html
    4. "Wimbledon" Two tone Oystersteel and yellow gold with slate dial:https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6233-0035.html

All our 36mm with Jubilee bracelet.

Many thanks

Master
    Although I don't mind two tone, out of the four you have suggested, I would plumb for the stainless steel with the blue dial. It has a timeless look and would age well. My ultimate favourite would be the same but with the silver stick dial; a classic!

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6234-0013.html

Blog Entries
    None do anything for me. Each to his own (and all that).

If I got one it would be blue dial. Wish I’d picked one up at retail in 2019 - not long ago. Could have bought one from a AD in London in the shop - no waiting, walk in, buy, walk out!!

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th July 2022 at 08:18.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Apprentice
    Thanks both. Agree that the blue and silver dials both have a classic look.

However does one think of a two tone yellow gold version when thinking of a typical datejust?

If this was not necessarily going to be your everyday watch would you still pick the silver / blue and plain bracelet?

Which Rolex Datejust would you pick out of these?

If I had to go for another Rolex I’d go for a gently used older model with the 3135 calibre.
    Based on my experience I would also avoid the champagne dial / gold hands combination as the lack of contrast can make it quite hard to read the time at a glance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 5th July 2022 at 13:28.

Master
    Never really been a fan of Roman numerals on DJs so I'd choose the blue, stick dial. That said, I had a look at that model a few months back and wasn't hugely impressed by the blue. I found it a little uninteresting in the flesh, at least under shop lighting. I'm not sure if the blue of the 41mm is actually different, but I found it much richer and more dynamic.

Rolex really do blue dials well so I would go for that.

Regardless of colour a DJ is an absolute classic and will never look dated in 36mm.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Never really been a fan of Roman numerals on DJs so I'd choose the blue, stick dial. That said, I had a look at that model a few months back and wasn't hugely impressed by the blue. I found it a little uninteresting in the flesh, at least under shop lighting. I'm not sure if the blue of the 41mm is actually different, but I found it much richer and more dynamic.
    That's what my slight concern is too. Have you seen the fluted blue dial in flesh? I wonder if that's much better - but does somewhat deviate from that classic look.

Although personally I’m not a fan the champagne two tone is a classic, a friend of mine has one and it does really look good.

I’ve recently been “put on ze list” for a DJ with the blue motif dial, not seen one in the flesh and can always say nah and wait for the bright blue if I really don’t like it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Although personally I’m not a fan the champagne two tone is a classic, a friend of mine has one and it does really look good.

I’ve recently been “put on ze list” for a DJ with the blue motif dial, not seen one in the flesh and can always say nah and wait for the bright blue if I really don’t like it.
    Yes I'm really torn between the two! The blue dial makes it a great every day wear watch while the two tone is a true classic!

What sort of wait times have you been quoted by the AD?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppable View Post
    That's what my slight concern is too. Have you seen the fluted blue dial in flesh? I wonder if that's much better - but does somewhat deviate from that classic look.
    I can't remember if it was the fluted model but my guess would be that, among the 36mm models, the blue would be the same, whether fluted or plain bezel. I know fluted / jubilee is regarded as the classic look but, personally, I prefer plain / oyster since I see it as a little more under the radar, sporty and versatile.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I would always go steel with wg bezel for a Datejust, but the 80s throwback king has to be two tone with champagne dial.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Rolex really do blue dials well so I would go for that.

Regardless of colour a DJ is an absolute classic and will never look dated in 36mm.
    Agreed

blue (but prefer fluted bezel)

My wife wears this daily (24x7) and gets knocked about. Sometimes she says difficult to read by this would be the quintessential TT DJ

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th July 2022 at 11:21.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I would always go steel with wg bezel for a Datejust, but the 80s throwback king has to be two tone with champagne dial.
    Two tone with champagne dial is the archetypal 80s/ 90s Datejust but the silver dialled version looks far nicer IMO. Black or white dial works well with two- tone. Not keen on the white dial or silver dial on the steel models, blue gets my vote closely followed by black.

All subjective, best advice is to buy what you like.

Master
    Just buy what suits you the best, do you really care that I would go for the blue dial. I don't care what anyone else likes and no doubt they don't give a damn what I like.

Your money and your wrist so it's your choice but it would be a good idea to let the wife have a say. Happy wife = happy life and all that.

Stainless with blue dial. Bi-metal are for bitches and bellends.

Fluted bezel and jubilee is mandatory on a dj and 36mm is definitely the right size for the watch imo. I prefer light dials and would probably go for white dial with Romans.

Iconic 80s tastics champaign dial yellow gold 2 tone keeps distracting me and if I think about it long enough I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Fluted bezel and jubilee is mandatory on a dj..
    Nope, it's not - though the current style of domed smooth bezel isn't nearly as nice as the five digit style IMV.

Craftsman
    Honestly, in my eyes they're all terrible except the blue dial one. I'd have that one in a heartbeat, and I'd go out of my way to avoid the others.

But that's just my opinion. Get the one that makes your heart sing.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post

Iconic 80s tastics champaign dial yellow gold 2 tone keeps distracting me and if I think about it long enough I want one.
    If the urge becomes irresistible I`ve got what's probably the best 16013 on the planet, never refinished, with zero stretch to the bracelet. Fitted with authentic silver dial, champagne gold one is also available. Can`t see me wearing it again, it ought to go...........but it won't be cheap because it's mint and hardly ever been worn despite the age!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 12manywatches View Post
    Bi-metal are for bitches and bellends.
    Gonna post a picture of yours then?

Blue baton dial, jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel.
    Is my favourite combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Blue baton dial, jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel.
    Is my favourite combination.
    This, except I prefer a diamond dial because I’m a tart . Failing that I absolutely love a mop dial. They look gorgeous on the wrist

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 12manywatches View Post
    Stainless with blue dial. Bi-metal are for bitches and bellends.
    Thanks buddy, as a long time fan of bi-metal watches and owner of several I really value your opinion.

By virtue of my heterosexual male gender I must fall (by default) into your second category according to you.

Why not just respect other people's taste instead of being judgemental?

Here's a few of mine to get your piss really boiling, taken a few years ago. Some of these watches have now been serviced and refinished by my good self to get them looking and running how they should.....that's how I like 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppable View Post
    Yes I'm really torn between the two! The blue dial makes it a great every day wear watch while the two tone is a true classic!

What sort of wait times have you been quoted by the AD?
    Been told a few months but I’m not holding my breath to be honest.

Being a “bellend” I do have a two tone with a black dial.

Always wanted a SS, had to be fluted on a jubilee and in the pics I’ve seen the blue motif dial looked nice, if I don’t like it my youngest son has said he’ll take it so it won’t be unloved.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Been told a few months but I’m not holding my breath to be honest.

Being a “bellend” I do have a two tone with a black dial.

Always wanted a SS, had to be fluted on a jubilee and in the pics I’ve seen the blue motif dial looked nice, if I don’t like it my youngest son has said he’ll take it so it won’t be unloved.
    I picked up a DJ 36 with a blue dial with an 8 week wait so there is hope!

Two or three, depending on whether bling is important or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    This, except I prefer a diamond dial because I’m a tart . Failing that I absolutely love a mop dial. They look gorgeous on the wrist
    I always regretted selling this one:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Gonna post a picture of yours then?
    👏👏👏

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Thanks buddy, as a long time fan of bi-metal watches and owner of several I really value your opinion.

By virtue of my heterosexual male gender I must fall (by default) into your second category according to you.

Why not just respect other people's taste instead of being judgemental?

Here's a few of mine to get your piss really boiling, taken a few years ago. Some of these watches have now been serviced and refinished by my good self to get them looking and running how they should.....that's how I like 'em!

Each to their own, as long as you feel special when wearing them, that's all that matters. ;)

Grand Master
    Not a question of feeling special, I'm a bit old for that, more a question of variety in a collection.

I also own several steel watches and a few solid gold, my taste is wide and varied and that's what makes collecting fun.

That bimetal Constellation (bottom left) needs a bit of TLC, I`ll refinish it when I get some spare time and get it really popping, a very under-rated watch IMO that I acquired v. cheaply because it needed work several years back. Unless I have a change of heart the Rolex will be sold before the year's out, a super watch but it never gets worn.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th July 2022 at 18:03.

The bimetal Constellation is a belter, was fond of that one back in the day. Have to admit the bi-metal looks better than the standard stainless, not many watches I’d say that about.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I always regretted selling this one:

Very nice. Some say its bling but who cares. I don't like the premium Rolex charge though, I think you have to have diamonds on the current ones?