closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA - Free Money

PSA - Free Money

https://www.massenalab.com/ming/?mc_...eid=491b394013

Can't see any other reason why anyone would buy one other than the fact they will be worth 3x the RRP in 6 months

Blog Entries
    I fancy the honeycomb one.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Ah of course! The beekeeper's watch :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To my eyes, they’re nice looking watches, a decent size at 38mm and not horrendously expensive at $2.6k-$2.8k.

What’s not to like?

Nice enough, but a few alternatives if that’s your thing.

A bit dispiriting to view it at as something to speculate on. Maybe a bit more love for the watch / brand and a little less money focus would improve the watch market no end

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    To my eyes, they’re nice looking watches, a decent size at 38mm and not horrendously expensive at $2.6k-$2.8k.

What’s not to like?
    No seconds hand. That's taken me out of the game.

I quite like them too (biased as I love Ming)

What’s not to like?
    What's not to like is the fact these will be snapped up by flippers and listed on chrono24 at $10k. It was a tongue in cheek post. With 50 of the honey ones available only these will skyrocket

Ming(ing).

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The honey is very nice - like the numerals, a nod to the early 17 series. But won't be there with my trigger fingers....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What's not to like is the fact these will be snapped up by flippers and listed on chrono24 at $10k. It was a tongue in cheek post. With 50 of the honey ones available only these will skyrocket

Well that’s not really what you said is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    https://www.massenalab.com/ming/?mc_...eid=491b394013

Can't see any other reason why anyone would buy one other than the fact they will be worth 3x the RRP in 6 months

Never really understood Ming...they look pretty awful to me.

Craftsman
    I do like that honey one, assuming it's the more subtle colour of the photos rather than the graphic towards the bottom.
    Not sure it's even worth trying to order one though with just 50.

Blog Entries
    Seems to be another one along every other week.

Quite like the honey one, and much prefer the logo to the usual one. Used to work with alot of scousers when I was younger, no way I could accept having Ming on my watch dial.

[EDIT]Just noticed it's still there in the 3 o'clock position. Ah well, wasn't likely I'd ever buy one anyway.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 14th May 2021 at 19:21.

I'll have a P please Bob.

What’s not to like?
    I think they're Minging !

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the bee holder
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the bee holder
    Post of the week

Got to wonder who's buying at 3x RRP? They're nice watches, but they're putting out new releases constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Same here, wouldn’t go as far as to say awful but certainly nothing remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Seems to be another one along every other week.
    Right.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Maybe a bit more love for the watch / brand and a little less money focus would improve the watch market no end
    The market or the hobby?

Growth, volativity and speculation are exactly what markets thrive on.

I thought it was pension advice.

Personally am a fan. Clearly they are doing something right.

Master
    It's a shame they just didn't make it available to buy when they announced it. Now there is a week long period where the hype gets ramped up, everyone stands by their keyboards for a mad 30 second rush to buy one if you want one. It's not like they wouldn't have sold out without the lead up period.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    It's a shame they just didn't make it available to buy when they announced it. Now there is a week long period where the hype gets ramped up, everyone stands by their keyboards for a mad 30 second rush to buy one if you want one. It's not like they wouldn't have sold out without the lead up period.
    So pretty much like Eddie’s new releases then!

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Lots of people complained about Ming doing that with previous releases - many want a period to look at the watch before ordering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Lots of people complained about Ming doing that with previous releases - many want a period to look at the watch before ordering.
    Wasn't the issue there that they still told people in advance that there was going to be a new release and then made it available a week later at the same time as giving the details?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Same here, wouldn’t go as far as to say awful but certainly nothing remarkable.
    Not to my taste is probably a better way of describing them! I do appreciate they've done well though for a startup. They created a unique design style and stuck to it...the brand is now associated with a single recognisable style that stands out from the crowd. They do look well designed too. I can see them only getting more in demand as time goes on.

I also think the whole hype/selling-out thing is positive for them, taking a leaf out of Rolex books to make sure demand outstrips supply and they become even more aspired to.

Craftsman
    Will these really appreciate in value?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Will these really appreciate in value?
    I'm no expert but I reckon they are bound to sell out in minutes, if not seconds. Immediately flipping one of those would definitely yield a profit. Long term, it's anoyones guess but of all the microbrands, I'd say Ming looks like a good bet.

I feel bad talking about watches like a stock to be traded.

Still waiting for someone to show me what’s so good about Ming. The only one I’ve handled was a copper faced one, not sure what model, and there was certainly nothing special about the movement or level of finishing.
    I get it if it’s just a design thing, some people will like it and some won’t. I don’t stick to the usual boring designs and happily have watches by the likes of ArtyA and Romain Jerome in my collection, but to me the Ming watches look like they’re a collaboration between Habitat and Ikea made to be sold in the middle aisle of Aldi!

UPDATE: having spent time looking at this upcoming release I'm smitten such that I may try my luck on release.

I do like the look of these and particularly the honey variant. Quite disappointing that they've only made 50 of what is probably the more unique and desirable colour. Feels like a conscious attempt to generate hype and high resale figures which in turn will drive future demand.

So how much is one of these likely to cost all in to a UK address? Exchange is looking at around £2200 so is it VAT at 20% on top? That's £2640 total. Anything else to pay? Thanks.

I'm no expert but I reckon they are bound to sell out in minutes, if not seconds. Immediately flipping one of those would definitely yield a profit. Long term, it's anoyones guess but of all the microbrands, I'd say Ming looks like a good bet.

I feel bad talking about watches like a stock to be traded.
    I am not too hopeful about long term prospects unless they keep on reinventing. Seems like too much of the same thing.
    Having said that their diver is very appealing.

Slightly disingenuous of them to say the blue and red dial versions they brought out recently were the last of the 17.09 range amd then drop these

Master
    I wish them well but I'm still struggling with having Ming on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    Slightly disingenuous of them to say the blue and red dial versions they brought out recently were the last of the 17.09 range amd then drop these
    That is a shame that they did that. I guess they'd claim they're not 'Ming 17.09' but rather 'Ming x MassenaLab 17.09' to get around that claim, but either way, it's a bit iffy.

Journeyman
    Building a brand with ludicrously limited releases to generate hype and demand - it's the new way, and one that puts me off any brand that adopts it. Ming watches have something about them though and they seem to have good connections which means they can move the brand forward, but it all feels a bit insubstantial to me (at the moment).

He’s a lovely chap. I don’t know much about his watches but he’s a true enthusiast. Glad his watches are doing so well.

Master

I'm of the mind that if he hadn't been a regular on here (and other forums) no-one would give them a second glance. To me none of them have looked good design wise and they are so overpriced as to be unbelievable. The bitcoin of the watch world...

Seems as if DDOS attacks have killed the sale. So it goes to a lottery, not quite easy free money now

I wasted a few hours waiting for the sales yesterday and today. Have sent email so fingers crossed for the lottery win!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Seems as if DDOS attacks have killed the sale. So it goes to a lottery, not quite easy free money now

That may be the official story but probably more likely that a site that’s used to having a few dozen users browsing just couldn’t cope with a few hundreds or thousands. I’ve seen posts on other forums from people more knowledgable than me suggesting the platform they use never stood a chance. Could also have been the strategy all along.

I’ve entered, both me and the Mrs fancy the Honey dial.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    That may be the official story but probably more likely that a site that’s used to having a few dozen users browsing just couldn’t cope with a few hundreds or thousands. I’ve seen posts on other forums from people more knowledgable than me suggesting the platform they use never stood a chance. Could also have been the strategy all along.
    Agree - this is also sold via Messima, not Ming (who’s system was far more robust during the regular 1709 release) so no real responsibility on Ming per say to have it sorted though no doubt reflects badly on all involved!

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I'm of the mind that if he hadn't been a regular on here (and other forums) no-one would give them a second glance. To me none of them have looked good design wise and they are so overpriced as to be unbelievable. The bitcoin of the watch world...

My thoughts exactly.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I, as an owner of 4 watches disagree somewhat - Ming still had to build brand awareness - it was only from last year that the watches started selling out like crazy. The first few years was steady - but they did not have this sort of hype. The likes of them and Kurono are a symptom of a wider issue of Instagram and frankly a lot of people with far too much money or having FOMO. Can't really blame the brand for that.

On value - there are a lot of small details, which I think make the watches worth the money, and that becomes more obvious when holding them, especially on the more expensive watches. The initial 17 series were very good value, these Massema are straying on that, but what else can you do other than increase the price with so much demand?