closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Music Acts you have seen.

SydR

Favourite Music Acts you have seen.

A follow on from Music acts you wish you had seen.

Bit of a mixed bag for me, I’m not a huge fan of a particular artist, tend to favour individual songs instead.

By far my favourite is Alice Cooper who has a phenomenal stage presence. Last time I saw him we was warm up for the Motley Crue and stole the show! What on earth were they thinking?

Next has to be R.E.M. They were outstanding and, with such a huge back catalogue, every song was a hit.

I used to go to concerts with my brother-in-law. He was deaf, but had a cochlear implant, and learning difficulties so would get lost even on his way to the corner shop.

I went to a concert with him headlined by Richard Ashcroft. Hadn’t heard much of his stuff before but thoroughly enjoyed his set.

What’s yours?

The Who at Charlton 1976. Although I saw The Who 16 times, this was the first time and the only time I saw Keith Moon perform with them.

Queen - Liverpool Empire 1975 - a few weeks before the famous Hammersmith Odean gig, but basically the same set. Saw them again in 1977 but went off them after that, much prefer the earlier stuff.

The Eagles at Huddersfield in 1996. The Hell Freezes over tour, started with side one of Hotel California and in the middle of the set worked their way through all the solo hits. Seeing The Eagles play Boys of Summer, Life's been good, Rocky Mountain way and The Heat is on was something else.

Roxy Music Liverpool Empire Oct 1973, first ever gig. Leo Sayer dressed as a clown was the support act, so technically the first act I ever saw live.

Dr Feelgood twice in late 1975 and early 1976. It's one of those I wish I'd seen that band... well these were the classic Feelgood gigs.

I suppose I need to chuck in 5 David Bowie gigs as well.

Best concert when not expecting anything, Gordon Lightfoot and The Steve Millar Band in the early 80s when they came over to promote Abracadabra. They hadn't been to the UK since supporting Pink Floyd at Knebworth in 1975, but for some reason they played the Liverpool Empire and it was a superb gig.

Pink Floyd playing The Wall at Earls Court in 1980 was rather special, so I went again in 1981 when they did a few more gigs at the same venue.

Journeyman

Bands

I’ll go for Flowered Up, around 1990.
    Good times, but very “hazy” memories

Master
    Probably one of Springsteens- Manchester Apollo 1981. Him and Clarence were playing in the isle next to me.

Deacon Blue (can’t remember the date but just before their peak)

Kiss Manchester Free Trade Hall 1976. Their first UK concert, nearly died from suffocating in the dry ice and ears were ringing for days after the explosions (not much Health and safety)

Lynyrd Skynyrd in 76/77. Front row seats and stood right below Ronnie van Zant.

Rory Gallagher in 76 (I think) chatted to bass player and drummer in Cox’s Bar before the concert

Also seen a few Genesis and Dire Straits and Genesis at Roundhay Park Leeds was good.
    Last edited by craig1912; 11th December 2020 at 18:58.

Blog Entries
    The Smiths - Queen is Dead tour 1986 at Salford Uni.

First concert. Best concert.

Nothing since has been quite as good... & I’ve been to a few since.

z

Pink Floyd - earls court

there's old wave there's new wave and there's David bowie

SydR
    One other honourable mention from be is Runrig when they played at King George’s Hall, Blackburn, in 1996.

‘Loch Lomond was fantastic as usual but the highlight was the drums only (so singing either) part. It reverberated in the small venue.

Saw Alice Cooper last year at the Brighton Centre, superb performance. Guns N Roses at MoR in '88 were my highlight. Anthrax at the Oxford Apollo. But easily the two best Gigs in the last 5 years were a combination of the music, the atmosphere and the people I was with. That's what makes the best nights out. They were Simple Minds at the Brighton Dome and Marilyn Mason at the Brixton Academy. Amazing times.

..and coming from a different angle about 5 years ago I took my daughter and her friends to see One Direction at Wembley. Felt like I was the only dad and 90,000 other kids with thir Yummy Mummy's who were making an evening of it. Was a great night!

Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

The massed bands leaving the arena to

• No awa tae bide awa
    • The Black Bear / Scotland The Brave medley

When the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.................. You know it is special.

I’ve seen Fleetwood Mac 9 times, Sheryl Crow 5 times, Peter Gabriel 4 times, Genesis, Jean Michel Jarre, Dire Straits and Alanis Morisette 2 times then various other acts once each including U2, Phil Collins and Roger Waters.

Genesis at Knebworth was a fantastic experience as was seeing Roger Waters perform The Wall, complete with the fully built wall. Jean Michel Jarre performing Oxygene on the original instruments was great too.

My best experiences have been seeing Fleetwood Mac from the front row on several occassions, especially when I got to play Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar during one of his extended solos. He held it down to a group of us and had us play it. In 2003 I went to 5 Mac concerts in 10 days, 3 times right at the front, in the same spot just by Stevie Nicks. On the second night in Manchester I had a bad seat so blagged my way to the front row using my previous night’s ticket. I just stuck a finger over the date. It was great to see them with Chris McVie again in 2015 but the first time I heard and saw Lindsey live was the best.

The Cult - Love 1986
    Wedding Present - Bizzaro 1990
    James - Laid 1993

Great thread...

I think my favourite gig was Bob Dylan in Manchester Apollo in 1995. Was a dream come true - Mr Tambourine Man was truly magical.

Managed to get into the golden circle at a Bruce Springsteen show in Dublin in 2009 and it was a very powerful experience. His back catalogue means he can play for hours with one great song after another which seems to crank the energy up to higher and higher levels as the show progresses. And the E-Street band are so responsive to his leadership, and such great musicians individually and collectively. It really is incredible how he does it night after night. Even if I didn’t like his music I think I’d still be impressed at the sheer passion he brings to it.

On the other end of the spectrum, I saw David Gray in a little place in Liverpool - maybe 300 people in there. Just him and an acoustic guitar and the atmosphere was electric!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Bryan Adam’s at Wembley in his heyday.
    Bon Jovi ‘These Days’ Tour at Wembley with Thunder & Van Halen supporting. I’m sure Billy Idol popped up even though he wasn’t on the support act list and did Rebel Yell & White Wedding.
    REM at Milton Keynes bowl 199? supported by Sleeper,Radiohead and The Cranberries.
    Manic Street Preachers in the early days. I’ve seen them a couple of times since but nothing touched the early stuff.
    Blur...warm up for the Reading Festival during the Park Life album time,in The Old Trout in Windsor. It’s gone now but you turned up to see random bands under assumed names and it was surprising who you saw.
    The Killers ...excellent live band.
    Macy Gray....about three years ago in,of all places,Basingstoke Anvil. It’s a tiny little theatre and she looked a bit bemused to be there...but she was superb.
    Arctic Monkeys in the early days before they were properly big.
    Courteeners...another excellent live band.
    The Dead South...anywhere. If you like a bit of bluegrass/country I recommend going to see them.
    The Temperance Movement.
    At at tiny little place in Southsea where you are basically on the stage...The Strokes (first UK show I think),Catfish & The Bottlemen,Gorillaz,Scissor Sisters plus more.

Plenty of others but my brain has stopped working.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

The massed bands leaving the arena to

• No awa tae bide awa
    • The Black Bear / Scotland The Brave medley

When the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.................. You know it is special.
    I was lucky enough to get to see the Tattoo the first year I moved to Edinburgh. A friend of my wife, from Manchester, had grandparents who were to be attending with friends who, through illness, were unable to make it at short notice so tickets were passed to us.

Very enjoyable and a step up from the Kuala Lumpur Tattoo we’d seen several years previously.

Dave Brubeck
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Queen in the Lincoln Centre, NYC, 1975
    David Bowie Glass Spider concert, La Courneuve (Paris), 1987 with Johnny Clegg as a supporting act. No one had ever heard of him, the previous act was a very average Heavy Metal that was shit so the crowd was not easily pleased, and wishing minutes he had everyone on their feet and cheering. Fabulous.
    Rolling Stones Urban Jungle, Parc des Princes (Paris), 1990
    Fela (Anikulapo Kuti), Le Zenith, 1984 I believe
    Dizzy Gillespie, BB King, Cab Calloway and quite a few more (different dates in the 80s), Jazz Club Etoile, Paris
    The CBGB, already mentioned in another thread...
    More will come back to me, surely.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Genesis, several times
    Dire Straits
    Mike Oldfield
    Steve Hackett, several times
    Moody Blues
    Jamie Cullum, with Geoff Gascoin
    Andy Fairweather
    Focus
    Rick Wakeman
    Justin Haywood
    Buddy Rich band
    LSO
    Few others in trying to remember!

Favourite Music Acts you have seen.

AC/DC
    Marcus Miller
    Cory Wong
    Rodriguez
    Makaya McCraven
    Marquis Hill

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    AC/DC
    Marcus Miller
    Cory Wong
    Rodriguez
    Makaya McCraven
    Marquis Hill

Another I forgot, Marcus Miller, he played at Manchester Uni. Is that where you saw him?

Queen
    The Kinks
    The Rolling Stones x3
    Deep Purple x2
    Iron Maiden
    Robert Plant x2
    Blondie
    Simple Minds
    OMD
    Tears for Fears
    UFO
    Marillion x2
    Rainbow
    Whitesnake
    Dire Straits
    Moody Blues
    ELO
    George Harrison
    UB40
    Status Quo x3
    Manics x3
    Oasis x2
    The Verve
    Dr Feelgood x2
    Rory Gallagher
    Jack Bruce
    Bruce Springsteen
    Europe
    The Animals
    Hawkwind x3
    The Stranglers
    Elvis Costello
    Levellers x2
    Wishbone Ash

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 11th December 2020 at 20:22.

Showaddywaddy 1974, Liverpool Empire. I was 7 and loved it !!!

"Under the Moon of Love"

Ted Nugent, Hammersmith Odeon, 1986 at 19yo.
    Ted Nugent, Manchester Apollo. Loved it !

"Wang Dang Sweet Poontang"

Last edited by reggie747; 11th December 2020 at 20:10.

Bruce Springsteen - Villa Park June 88
    Van Morrison - The Point, Dublin. Christmas 95.
    Dire Straits when they were still on the club circuit, just before Sultans of Swing broke out, Barbarellas Birmingham. 1977.
    Bryan Ferry solo (but with the members of Roxy Music) These Foolish Things tour 1974, Birmingham Odeon and first ever concert
    Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders - Barbarella's Birmingham 1977

Seen a few bands in recent years in small venues in Paris which were great for the intimacy -
    Joan Armatrading
    Graham Parker and the Rumour
    Richard Thompson
    Paul Weller
    Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive 40th anniversary tour

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Another I forgot, Marcus Miller, he played at Manchester Uni. Is that where you saw him?
    I saw him in London couple of years ago. Absolutely loved the fact most of his band were young guys (that’s how I found out about Marquis Hill). Marcus is amazing and such a great band leader. Class act. No showing of, just solid, fun grooves.

Live Aid
    Bowie on a pared down greatest hits tour in some venue in Scotland (can’t remember which) - brilliant show.
    Foo Fighters tour warm up gig at G.A.Y. London, front row.
    Prince - too many good ones to separate
    UFO - Liverpool Empire

I've seen Genesis twice - first time was at the NEC, which was like watching them from the opposite end of an aircraft hangar, but you could really appreciate the light show! The second time was at Hammersmith, and they did "Supper's Ready", which was fantastic.

Billy Joel at Wembley Arena was good, he was a very energetic performer, and it was probably his heyday. I must have seen Deacon Blue six or seven times, on one occasion (Hammersmith again), they were joined on stage for a couple of numbers by George Harrison.

And, on the subject of energetic live acts, Peter Gabriel. Superb.

I saw Mark Knopfler's other band, The Notting Hillbillies, in Aylesbury, of all places. Nobody plays a guitar like Mark.

But top of the list was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at Wembley,, in 2013. I'd been a fan since the late 1970's, and never had the chance to see their legendary live act. Simply awesome, just about four hours of, for me, the greatest live band ever. No Clarence, obviously, but his nephew is a fantastic replacement, and Nils Lofgren plays guitar with his teeth just like Hendrix.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    I have seen a few from The stones to Bowie.. but my the ones which stick in my mind as very entertaining was Tom Waits in Paris ( bataclan I think) and David Byrne at Sheffield city hall. Also been to a few Glastonbury /Reading festivals and seen Stone roses and Nirvana. Enjoyed Elvis Costello,Paul Weller,REM and loads more. Saw Prince twice too in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I've seen Genesis twice - first time was at the NEC, which was like watching them from the opposite end of an aircraft hangar, but you could really appreciate the light show! The second time was at Hammersmith, and they did "Supper's Ready", which was fantastic.

Billy Joel at Wembley Arena was good, he was a very energetic performer, and it was probably his heyday. I must have seen Deacon Blue six or seven times, on one occasion (Hammersmith again), they were joined on stage for a couple of numbers by George Harrison.

And, on the subject of energetic live acts, Peter Gabriel. Superb.

I saw Mark Knopfler's other band, The Notting Hillbillies, in Aylesbury, of all places. Nobody plays a guitar like Mark.

But top of the list was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at Wembley,, in 2013. I'd been a fan since the late 1970's, and never had the chance to see their legendary live act. Simply awesome, just about four hours of, for me, the greatest live band ever. No Clarence, obviously, but his nephew is a fantastic replacement, and Nils Lofgren plays guitar with his teeth just like Hendrix.
    I’m a sax player so love Billy Joel, so much great sax playing on the early albums. I saw him at Wembley Arena the year he didn’t do “just the way you are”. I was gutted. He was on Nicky Campbell on Radio 1 the same tour and said he dropped it because it became too much of a cabaret song from the people who covered it.

Not in my greatest gigs but still very good was Steely Dan at Wembley. I took my wife and a friend and his wife. I loved the show but the other three were like “can’t believe we’ve just wasted an evening on that”
    Last edited by sevvy; 11th December 2020 at 20:39.

One of the best gigs I saw at Sheffield Octagon whilst I was a student first time around (1998-2002) was Primal Scream on the XTRMNTR tour.

Kevin Shields from MBV was on stage with them just making the most awesome noises with his guitar.

My wife to be was also in the audience, but we hadn’t met yet. She’s still got the souvenir mug from the tat stall outside!

Honourable mention also needs to go to The Rub, who we saw with about 5 other people in a tiny room in the Student Union. Reni playing guitar was a bizarre sight.

Master
    Leonard Cohen
    Bruce Springsteen
    Stones
    Pink Floyd
    Dave Gilmore
    Poppa Chubby
    Nils Lofgren
    Willie Nile

And some of the above many times.

Plus others that were poor shows or left me cold - sadly including Prince, Sheryl Crow, and worst of all Bob Dylan.

My first ever concert as a young shaver of 15 . . .

I've seen too many to list in the years since, but the Eurythmics, Steve Earle and Loudon Wainwright III were all marvellous. However I've seen Nils Lofgren on numerous occasions and he's the standout of them all.
    F.T.F.A.

Thin Lizzy - Renegade Tour - 1980 - Poole Arts Centre

Triggerfinger @ A38

Oh and Van Morrison in Liverpool Philharmonic Hall was another stand out gig. He can be so hit and miss live l, but when he’s on - he’s magnificent.

Craftsman
    Not going to list all the bands I've seen as too many but favourite bands (as generally seen most of them more than once or twice....)

James..... pre and post break up, small and large venues...... awesome.......best back catalogue EVER!!!!!
    U2.....amazing show but better late 80s / early 90s as more "swagger"
    Simple Minds.....
    Radiohead......
    Oasis at Knebworth.....
    Slow Readers Club.....
    Undercover Hippy (.....trust me!!!)
    Wildwood Kin.....
    Sting and Shaggy..... sounds crap but was amazing......
    Duran Duran in a small club in Munich....
    Cranberries....
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers....
    Coldplay...

Honourable mention to REM who are an amazing band but were rubbish live in a big venue....

Too many to mention and too hard to pick a favourite.
    A sample of my musical highlights can be found by looking at the lineups for just one venue - Knebworth from 1974 through to 1980 and then there's the Odeon, Rainbow, The Marquee, Wembley and god knows where else.

edit - but if I had to choose a few, these would be up there:
    Last edited by Stanford; 11th December 2020 at 22:04.

Queen in full pomp at Wembley the year after Live Aid

Support acts were INXS, The Alarm and Status Quo - quite the line up in itself!

Only performers to come close to Freddie that I've seen were Michael Jackson and Prince. Unfortunately within 3 days of each-other and as a result I don't think I appreciated Prince as much as I now know I should have.

Honourable mention for Genesis' light shows - in the late 80s and early 90s they were using varilights and were visually way ahead of any other gig I saw
    Last edited by Halitosis; 11th December 2020 at 22:06.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    Transvision Vamp
    Van Morrison
    Chicago
    Chris De Burgh
    U2
    Bjork
    Cranberries
    Primal Scream

In no order whatsoever.

The Prodigy
    Roger Waters
    Phil Collins
    The Stranglers
    Fleetwood Mac
    The Eagles
    Prince
    Bring Me The Horizon
    Green Day
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Kasabian
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Kaiser Chiefs
    I saw Kaiser Chiefs in Southampton Guildhall...2007 maybe. Anyway,they were pretty good but the part that sticks in my mind most was when Ricky Wilson jumped off the stage,ran down an avenue formed by a parting of the crowd and jumped (rather heavily) on my foot when he turned round.

Master
    I've never managed to see some of my favourites live and probably never will, Bowie, New Order et al. Best I have seen, not necessarily musically, but just great entertainment.

U2
    Dick Dale
    Dr. John
    The Jungle Brothers
    St Germain
    And a rather crazy concert at the Carnegie Hall with Gavin Friday who had the following as his backing musicians and support acts, Courtney Love, Lou Reed, Lady Gaga, Martha and Rufus Wainwright, Andrea Corr, Scarlett Johansson, Shane MacGowan and U2.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I saw Kaiser Chiefs in Southampton Guildhall...2007 maybe. Anyway,they were pretty good but the part that sticks in my mind most was when Ricky Wilson jumped off the stage,ran down an avenue formed by a parting of the crowd and jumped (rather heavily) on my foot when he turned round.
    Saw them in Leeds (Elland Road) - pretty pumped performance!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Gary Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Gary Moore
    I had to tolerate Whitesnake to see Mr. Moore, mind it was free courtesy of Metro Radio so I couldn't complain. He was tremendous.
    F.T.F.A.

Two utterly memomrable acts that stick in my mind and not mentioned here -

Gregory Porter with a full band singing all his hits from Liquid Spirit was utterly sensational.
    Secondly, Snoop Dogg - just for the sheer brilliance of seeing him smoke a massive joint on stage at like 11am while going through his hits (naturally in the Netherlands!)

Master
    Rush, Zeppelin (before Bonzo's untimely demise), Amy Winehouse, British Sea Power, Martin Taylor, Wilko Johnson. Loads of others really. But if I had to pick just one gig - Rush, June 11th 1977, Newcastle City Hall.

Master
    Cream, Rory G, Man, Genesis (with PG) , Yes (x 5) , ELP, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Alice Cooper, Focus, Wishbone Ash.Pink Floyd, Stranglers, Rick Wakeman , Chris Rea, Deacon Blue, Led Zep. Van M. , etc

Special mentions

Tommy Emmanuel
    Gary Moore
    Roger Hodgson

Master
    Pixies on their comeback tour. I thought I’d missed the chance to see them, but they nailed it.

PJ Harvey at least once.

Wilson Pickett in Dallas, Texas - full brass section and backing singers - early 2000s

Unexpected - Cutting Crew at Uni, 1986-ish. Anyone remember these one hit wonders? Great sweaty gig...

In no order,

The Strokes
    The Libertines
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Oasis
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Kings of Leon
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Would be my favourites. Some more under the radar bands that were fantastic include

Ash
    JJ72
    Delays
    Idlewild
    Placebo

Bands I wish I’d seen but haven’t/will never

Nirvana
    REM
    The Beatles
    David Bowie
    The Smiths
    DMA’s (gig cancelled in lockdown, hoping for a reschedule).
    Arctic Monkeys
    Paolo Nutini