closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Watchfinder Rolex Sale

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I got an uninvited, casual "quote" for a Hulk less than a week ago. I had it on my wrist when I was there and the guy after noticing it, told me they would pay £13k for it. He quickly revised it down to £12.5k after seeing the shock on my face. Didn't even ask about the age of the watch.

I was very sceptical of the figure he stated, even though I didn't know about the upcoming sale and don't have any views (either side) on the secondary market.
    £12.5k is high for a Hulk. Highest I've heard a dealer offer is £11.8k... Hulks are not discounted when I last checked though so maybe that's why. £13925 (2011) to £15950 (2019)on their website so allowing for a bit of haggling, margins are quite slim if they're offering £12.5k-£13k.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Has anyone tried obtaining a quote for their Rolex recently? Wonder how much lower they’re quoting given these discounts.
    They paid me £5000 for October 2018 Explorer last week.

Master
    Most bubbles burst literally overnight and it catches everyone out. A bit of price cutting from sellers who punt at the real top end is not really the sign of a bursting bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Most bubbles burst literally overnight and it catches everyone out. A bit of price cutting from sellers who punt at the real top end is not really the sign of a bursting bubble.
    Yeah I agree with this and I believe this is what Haywood's point was. WF were trying to bang BLNRs out at £14.5k when Haywood was selling them for £11k. Suddenly WF sell excess stock (because many of the finance staff who buy their watches at any price are worried their jobs are getting relocated to Frankfurt or Dublin) for £12.5k and it's Armageddon. Meanwhile Haywood now sells them at £11.5k (as an example). WF prices seem to be 'crashing' whereas Haywood sees a near 5% price appreciation. Depends what side of the fence you are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Batman is now discontinued and is unique in that it was the first time that Rolex offered a bi-colour bezel in the ceramic SS GMT line (as Tim Mosso continues to point out).
    True, and there’s the oyster bracelet too which some will prefer - I was more thinking about the Daytona as the currently produced model. It would be strange for them to change it considering its popularity. But then, they do have a history of gilding the lily and making things worse as often as they make them better. I wonder what Baselworld 2020 will bring, it only takes popular new bezel colours (or even, more elegant cases) to upstage the current darling.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Has anyone tried obtaining a quote for their Rolex recently? Wonder how much lower they’re quoting given these discounts.
    Was quoted £20.65K for a 11 month old SS Daytona first week of November.

I would think that these discounted pieces were purchased in over the course of this year at substantially less than what they have been paying more recently.

Buy quotes in April were considerably lower than they were in October, early November.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Was quoted £20.65K for a 11 month old SS Daytona first week of November.

I would think that these discounted pieces were purchased in over the course of this year at substantially less than what they have been paying more recently.

Buy quotes in April were considerably lower than they were in October, early November.
    No different to the car trade. Same model, same spec bought in cheaper can be sold cheaper if you want to move some stock at a given time.

So, to sum up then,

Where HM prices represent the more-sensibly priced establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    So, to sum up then,

Got to love a visual aid that sums things up so succinctly !

My layman's view point of the Watchfinder sale.

1. Prices too high.
    2. Stock too large.
    3. Turnover not high enough.
    4. Profits falling.
    5. Year end targets not being met.
    6. Overheads too high.
    7. Do something before we go the way of many other companies that have expanded too quickly.
    8. Don't listen to Bark & Jack.

Meanwhile in the Watchfinder offices,
    There's a marketing exec who is rubbing his hands with glee because they've managed to pull off an advertising coup and get every man and his dog talking about them.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    There's a marketing exec who is rubbing his hands with glee because they've managed to pull off an advertising coup and get every man and his dog talking about them.

Craftsman
    The Bark and Jack video does feel very much like click bait, shame as I normally think he has a bit more integrity than that....

Craftsman
    Is there a sale on ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    The Bark and Jack video does feel very much like click bait, shame as I normally think he has a bit more integrity than that....
    Paul Thorpe has published a video on YouTube agreeing with your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    Is there a sale on ??

Watchfinder quick fire sale come get your Batman's

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Watchfinder quick fire sale come get your Batman's

buy hulk get hulk free

buy hulk get hulk free

I wish

Craftsman
    I wish

Still be paying over retail each even if they chucked in a freebie

Craftsman

Talk.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Probably not talked about in the most positive of ways and their business is too sell watches not to be on forum threads being discussed about their ridiculous prices.

Master
    So, to sum up then,

Lovely!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The Watchfinder Rolex Sale

I think the 6 digit maxi case Rolex have over swelled their above RRP asking especially by some optimistic dealers, yes they are hard to buy new but let’s remember they are still produced and sold by Rolex.

To me 5 digit watches are still sensible in comparison, especially as they are not in production no more.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 22nd November 2019 at 09:37.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how things play out in to the New Year and whether the Watchfinder sale creates any sort of ripple effect. You probably have a fair point, TRF and WUS have threads springing up all over the place proclaiming the tide has turned and such like without too much corroborating evidence so far.

I have no great desire to see prices fall from a personal standpoint as I have an established relationship with my local AD and have been able to pick up a couple of Professional pieces this year at RRP. I continue to live in hope of a BLRO next year.
    I'm waiting for a BLRO, and quite prepared to pay a premium of £500 over list to anyone (flipper) who has one and is worried prices will fall. Of course I may withdraw this offer when they do!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'm waiting for a BLRO, and quite prepared to pay a premium of £500 over list to anyone (flipper) who has one and is worried prices will fall. Of course I may withdraw this offer when they do!!
    Think that’s wishful thinking ..

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You meant £5000 right?
    That would be £12,150 and the cheapest BLRO on the market.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    He’s just sad because he sold his batman for a lot less trying to make a quick buck...we’ve all been there, trying to talk prices down

Opinionated bloke such as might be found on a watch forum + a camera + the desire not to have anyone arguing back = Bore with a youtube channel

That these men get referenced in our discussions as having an opinion somehow worth more than anyone else's shows what suckers people are for the trappings of authority.

Think that’s wishful thinking ..

Think it was sarcasm:-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    SALE Sale Sale!

Now let the people who actually want these watches buy them for what they are worth (which IMO opinion this is still to high compared with a few years ago) and for the greedy buggers, hel roast them, as my granny would say?

Have a great weekend. I guess as historically with Rolex the discontinued models will start to go up 16520, 116520 and 116600's

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 22nd November 2019 at 15:30.

I'm pretty sure this has dropped by some margin:

https://www.watches.co.uk/Patek-Phil...5711/PK-21369S

Next week I am picking up my BLNR from Rolex and I am not worried in the slightest.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Think it was sarcasm:-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    A bubble is a situation where mugs panick and sell en masse and the clever guys just sit on the side cherry picking all the bargains. To suggest we are anywhere near that is a wild exaggeration.

I think the mindset of most watch owners is to buy and hold on for a long time and even pass it onto the kids and that alone helps to keep prices up.

The flippers, be they greys or private individuals are simply a link in the supply chain and are merely chancers. It is the final customers who dictate whether there is a boom or a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has dropped by some margin:

https://www.watches.co.uk/Patek-Phil...5711/PK-21369S
    They had a 2019 model up for more which seems to have sold this week.

The 2017 one is new to their site and 60k is still incredibly strong money for a watch thats RRP is 23k.

Craftsman
    Bark & Jack video on the Rolex bubble finally bursting “I don’t think the bubble has completely burst, they’re still selling for double retail...”.

The graph earlier in this thread sums up my thoughts perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Normal service resumed yet???

Regards comments on depreciating values/asset, it is all relevant at point folk wish to sell which for me is hopefully many many years away. Until then I don't give a monkeys on the market, I will just enjoy, which is our passion at the end of the day.

Hugs

Pitch

Craftsman
    They are still priced at 2-3x what a sane person would pay so I’d say we are some way off off a bubble bursting just yet.

Craftsman

WF.

So, to sum up then,

Widely recognised the inflated prices which WF places on not just the Rolex range but throughout it’s inventory but looking around the other usual suspects of Grey and even the AD pre owned, most of them are similar in pricing to the ridiculous WF. Blowers, Mark Worthington, Watch club etc all hitting the high price mark and looking at an Rolex AD in Glasgow pitching pre owned Hulk and Blnr at just under £15k.

Very few dealers are offering even close to good value and many are just as guilty as WF on their ridiculous prices.

Master
    Look at the places which usually charge "toppy" prices and what do you expect?

Suggest finding more / different outlets to consider.

Watchfinder / Chrono24 score for easy searching and viewing of numerous watches, but there is often a price for laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Widely recognised the inflated prices which WF places on not just the Rolex range but throughout it’s inventory but looking around the other usual suspects of Grey and even the AD pre owned, most of them are similar in pricing to the ridiculous WF. Blowers, Mark Worthington, Watch club etc all hitting the high price mark and looking at an Rolex AD in Glasgow pitching pre owned Hulk and Blnr at just under £15k.

Very few dealers are offering even close to good value and many are just as guilty as WF on their ridiculous prices.
    I was told Rolex ADs can not charge more than list for a used Rolex if it’s still current. For example a hulk.

Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by DBlue2019 View Post
    I was told Rolex ADs can not charge more than list for a used Rolex if it’s still current. For example a hulk.

Am I wrong?
    That is correct for new

Last edited by bokbok; 25th November 2019 at 19:30.

Quote Originally Posted by DBlue2019 View Post

Am I wrong?
    An AD can sell used watches and I know several that do. They can be current model. An AD group near me has a several used current models for way over list. However it has to be genuinely used.

Master
    Is there a sale on ??

Impossible as they can only go up in value.

Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Impossible as they can only go up in value.
    Not sure about that look at sales section

Master
    Not sure about that look at sales section

I was being ironic. We've had 3 years of experts and rolex fan boys on here regurgitating this line.

All bubbles tend to correct. I see no difference with this one.

I was being ironic. We've had 3 years of experts and rolex fan boys on here regurgitating this line.

I agree lol it's ironic never seen so many Rolex,s for sale in sales section especially premium models

If we're at Complacency then the fun is just beginning for the Grey dealers

So, people have been claiming that bubble is going to burst for three years? LOL, the irony!
    Ofcourse, prices can correct and will correct.
    What is laughable and pitiable is constant refrain about bubble bursting -mainly from people who don’t want a Rolex or don’t have one or can’t have one.
    Little do they realise you can’t talk a market down.
    It will come down when demand subsides or the economic climate is not favourable.
    It is as it is with all luxury commodities.
    There seems to be atleast some softening currently.
    Hard to predict how far and how fast it will go or stabilise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    So, people have been claiming that bubble is going to burst for three years? LOL, the irony!
    Ofcourse, prices can correct and will correct.
    What is laughable and pitiable is constant refrain about bubble bursting -mainly from people who don’t want a Rolex or don’t have one or can’t have one.
    Little do they realise you can’t talk a market down.
    It will come down when demand subsides or the economic climate is not favourable.
    It is as it is with all luxury commodities.
    There seems to be atleast some softening currently.
    Hard to predict how far and how fast it will go or stabilise.
    Keep your baiting to the bear pit and stop coming out to the rest of the forum and spoiling it.

Master
    I see Adrian is doing a follow up

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app