timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC Part 1+2+3.

Master
    Blog Entries

SOTC Part 1+2+3.

Edit: Part 2 added as post #28.
    Edit 2: Part 3 added as post #36.

I've been all over the mid range Japanese watches it seems.
    My earlier SOTC's probably will show that.
    What I did was a step change. I still hold them in great esteem, but I wanted some change.
    Why? Well because it went boring I guess.
    So after some selling and haggling (quite boring IMHO) I aimed for classics. Just plain classics, but with a kind of thin red line to guide me.

I have always been a fan of chronographs. I've always liked the Breitling "Instruments for professionals" slogan.
    So where did it lead me?

To be completely honest I feel that I have too many watches. The old Lutheran in me despise indulgence.

Anyway, I'm very happy to have been able to find these. From top left to bottom right.

Breitling in house B60 EB601010/C945/152E (2018 watch) - the last Breitling quartz in quite some time? Actually it's the blue dial version with black subdials.

#kerngate

Breitling Blackbird A13350 (2000 watch) - lovely ETA 7750 chronometer grade powered, 39mm diameter, all brushed aviator. Found this in a very nice condition with absolutely everything included. Even the regularly filled out service chart. One owner since 2000.

Breitling Blackbird A13353 with blue dial (2004 watch). I've had one before and regretted ever selling it. The very angular design of the bezel and bracelet links are just enticing. Also a full set.

Breitling Navitimer A23322(A232G09NP) (2009 watch). The all brushed (even pushers and crown) version with inverted panda dial - only 400 made for Japan domestic market. The case and bracelet finish makes this the ultimate aviation chrono for me. Absolutely fantastic.

Omega Speedmaster 145.022 (1984 watch). A true classic. Unfortunately only watch, no accessories. But I got an extract from the archives to go with it. I've had the modern versions before but nothing beats a well preserved tritium dial.

Omega Seamaster non AC 2230.50 (2009 watch). Got this fullset in a trade for a Rolex YM rhodium. SMP in my eyes a better looking watch. I use this as the one to wear in official meetings at work in Sweden. The watch is handsome and not too striking. As every Swede knows, "lagom" is a virtue here among us middle aged runners of the business. I really like the sword hands combined with the wave dial and white on black date disc. Not too commonly found either with the white gold inlay. (My first watch was the pre Bond Seamaster btw).

OK. So it's time for a lifetime grail (at least when I was a youth). The IWC Doppelchronograph 3713 (2004 watch). At 42 mm and rather thick I just absolutely love this chronograph. When I saw this SAS advertisement picture I wanted it even more.

With the huge box and papers I'm happy to have found it. A bit worn. A bit battered, but still lovely. The only but, is the strap. Should it be black or brown?

Finally there is the Breitling Cosmonaute A12023 (1996 watch). With the Lemania 1877 based Breitling 12 calibre. Blue tritium dial and display back.

Also a complete set but unfortunately one polished pilot bracelet link missing.

Thats all for now. Will be continued (I guess)...
    The box was purchased here and shipped to Sweden thanks to Pete. I've fitted it with some additional lamb nappa. Smells lovely.
    Last edited by klockodile; 6th May 2018 at 21:35.

I do really like that SMP
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    My kind of SOTC, lovely.

Very nice collection to be proud of. I particularly like the seamaster

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Nice collection

Must admit I’m a Chronograph man myself and your collection is pretty good!
    The IWC is the stand out piece in your collection for me!!

Chris

Master
    Have to agree with Chris about the IWC, pick of the bunch for me. I also really like the navitimer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I do really like that SMP
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    My kind of SOTC, lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    Very nice collection to be proud of. I particularly like the seamaster

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    Must admit I’m a Chronograph man myself and your collection is pretty good!
    The IWC is the stand out piece in your collection for me!!

Chris
    Thanks for your comments!
    Not surprisingly the SMP has it's fans.
    My favourite is probably the Cosmonaute.

Master
    Superb collection of classic Breitlings you have there.

Great work.

Inspirational sotc to me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    Thanks for your comments!
    Not surprisingly the SMP has it's fans.
    My favourite is probably the Cosmonaute.
    Would be the Cosmonaute for me as well. Lovely looking thing. Must get searching for a nice 809 again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice collection! Lovely looking speedy, I really fancy trying something with a tritium dial

That speedy is bloody perfect!!! Like the Cosmonaute a lot, too.

Space chronographs

Wow, I love the Cosmonaute and the Speedy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Have to agree with Chris about the IWC, pick of the bunch for me. I also really like the navitimer.
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Superb collection of classic Breitlings you have there.
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Great work.

Inspirational sotc to me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottd View Post
    Would be the Cosmonaute for me as well. Lovely looking thing. Must get searching for a nice 809 again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers! Much appreciated!
    If it works as inspiration then I'm very flattered.

Craftsman
    That speedy...... I've never been that into them or sports/chrono's in general, but when I see an old tritium dial like yours it always makes me want one!

Master
    Very enjoyable and the Doppel is my fav with the new blue dial Breitling a close second.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    That speedy...... I've never been that into them or sports/chrono's in general, but when I see an old tritium dial like yours it always makes me want one!
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Very enjoyable and the Doppel is my fav with the new blue dial Breitling a close second.
    Teo different species you both like. But if I was to choose I go for Speedy. More organic.

Craftsman
    Klockodile, you seem to be into Breitling and know your stuff - do you perhaps know what is the fate of the B60 movement? Ever since the change of ownership, I've been searching high and low for any news or articles, but nothing ever comes up, and there are no watches featuring the B60 on their website. I know it's unlikely that they'd drop a recently developed in-house movement just like that, but the lack of information certainly doesn't help with the uncertainty.

Oh, and I love the brushed Navi myself - so many of their watches ruined by bling that comes from the mirror polish ... but not this one.

That cosmonaut caseback is drool-worthy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    Klockodile, you seem to be into Breitling and know your stuff - do you perhaps know what is the fate of the B60 movement? Ever since the change of ownership, I've been searching high and low for any news or articles, but nothing ever comes up, and there are no watches featuring the B60 on their website. I know it's unlikely that they'd drop a recently developed in-house movement just like that, but the lack of information certainly doesn't help with the uncertainty.

Oh, and I love the brushed Navi myself - so many of their watches ruined by bling that comes from the mirror polish ... but not this one.
    As I know it the B60 has been killed. No more, hence #kerngate. I am very sad to say.

Craftsman
    Wow, really? That's both sad and crazy. I do hope they sell the technology, this movement is/was everyting a contemporary quartz chronograph needed to be and it deserved to find its place in a lot of watches. (I admit, I was kind of holding my breath that it would find its way into a quartz Navitimer eventually. Oh well ...)

Craftsman
    Lovely collection. I've never particularly been into chronographs, but there's something about those Blackbirds that's piqued my interest.
    Last edited by gary1064; 28th April 2018 at 22:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That speedy is bloody perfect!!! Like the Cosmonaute a lot, too.
    Isn't it! :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    Nice collection! Lovely looking speedy, I really fancy trying something with a tritium dial
    A modern one is actually nothing to compare. Go for the older ones from the 80s!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Wow, I love the Cosmonaute and the Speedy!
    They both share the heart of the Lemania!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Lovely collection. I've never particularly been into chronographs, but there's something about those Blackbirds that's piqued my interest.
    Pefect sizes. Try one if you dare ;)

Master
    Some lovely Breitlings you have there, my first ever proper watch was the Blackbird and
    I always wanted the Bluebird as well. A great pair of watches to have in any collection.

Craftsman
    Lovely looking blue dial blackbird in there.

Master
    Blog Entries

Part 2

As I mentioned in my first post I had quite a thing for the Japanese manufacture Seiko earlier in my WISdom.

Did I leave that to the past or is it still in my collection, a few Seikos?

Well of course.
    Not so many.
    But they are all special to me.

From left to right.

Grand Seiko (45GS) Hi-Beat 4522-8000 in gold on steel (1970 watch). This is the best vintage GS model IMHO. The grammar of design features ar all so visible and the manual 36000 bph movement is the base upon which the first Daini Seikosha chronometer contestants were made.

Only used at special occasions its my only "dress" watch.

Seiko SBDX001 or MM300 (2014 watch). I have owned 3 different species of this model over the years. Always sold because something else was in my mind, coming in. They are easy to sell due to the popularity. This specific watch has been modded with a sand blasted case. The bezel, crown and wave logo on the back has been kept polished as the original. Very striking tool appearance. I wear it on a rubber as the bracelet (also sand blasted) is to rattly for my liking.

Grand Seiko SBGC005 (2016 watch). This is the only modern GS I never bought when my collection was mainly made up by Seikos. Now I finally have one and the grey titanium contrasts so perfectly with the gold details on the dial. GS chronographs feature so many layers of detail that I like. And the Spring Drive is just one of a kind movement. Top class. This model features the micro adjustment clasp which is a welcome bonus.

The last one is a bit special. The brown dialled SBDS002 (2001 watch).
    Mine is a full set of which I am very proud. It's brother, the SBDS001 was actually the first expensive Seiko watch I purchased nearly 12 years ago. At first, when I found a Seiko watch over £500, I was very sceptic. But after researching I got more and more involved with Seiko and the different levels of inhouse manufacturing they were making. The SBDS002 was actually the first of the Flightmaster models to come out. In a limited number of 300. To commemorate fighter planes and the brownish titanium found in the exhausts of their jet engines. You can read more about this here (sadly no pics due to age of post I guess).
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440...e+Flightmaster

Oh...I forgot one Seiko. My beater. The Miura Dolphins compass, altimeter, barometric adventures watch. Always on the mountain trail with me...
    Last edited by klockodile; 2nd May 2018 at 17:15.

Grand Seiko SBGC005 (2016 watch). This is the only modern GS I never bought when my collection was mainly made up by Seikos. Now I finally have one and the grey titanium contrasts so perfectly with the gold details on the dial. GS chronographs feature so many layers of detail that I like. And the Spring Drive is just one of a kind movement. Top class. This model features the micro adjustment clasp which is a welcome bonus.
    That looks fantastic Stefan. A GS Chrono will be my next watch and I had my heart set on a white dial but your photo is making me waver somewhat. I agree with everything you say about it, they are brilliant watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    That looks fantastic Stefan. A GS Chrono will be my next watch and I had my heart set on a white dial but your photo is making me waver somewhat. I agree with everything you say about it, they are brilliant watches.
    Happy to have won you over to the "dark" side :)

Happy to have won you over to the "dark" side :)
    I'm not there yet but a few more photos might push me over

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I'm not there yet but a few more photos might push me over

That really does look stunning, the dial and hands are a work of art. You have to hold a GS in your hands to appreciate the attention to detail and I can only imagine how that looks in the flesh

Craftsman
    Pefect sizes. Try one if you dare ;)
    Dare duly accepted, arrived this morning! As you said, a perfect size...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Dare duly accepted, arrived this morning! As you said, a perfect size...

Very good choice!! Congrats is in place:)

Master
    Blog Entries

Part 3

Well now I finally got the time to write up the last part.

My two remaining watches aren't really that special or original. More like the two well built midfield players that always will be there for the team. One big and a good player in the air and one smaller but near indestructible defensive diver.

The IWC 500401 (2006 watch) is the one Fliegeruhr I've had as a standard and I've always seen it as unattainable. Lately however I've been promoted a few times and suddely a decent used one was within reach. It came to me from overseas but I think it will stay a while :)

Now. In the beginning Rolex was not for me. Too small and too insubstantial in the flesh. As years went by my interest would however increase. EVERYONE was saying that Rolex had a special air around it. I will give a significant credit to the mega strong branding, but there is also this neat eye to details. The dial of my 16600 (1999 watch) has something extra about it. It also has lugholes which makes it the ultimate SeaDweller model. Compared to my earlier Exp2, GMTII, and 16613 who all accompanied the 16600 in my collection (which I now have sold) this one is very hard to let go. As it is a full set I will anyway keep it for my pension fund while enjoying it on the wrist from time to time.

Well that's all for now folks!

Master
    You have some really nice pieces. I particularly like the Seikos

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app