closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Arrival : Blancpain Air Command Concept (keeper and cull)

Blog Entries

New Arrival : Blancpain Air Command Concept (keeper and cull)

Well I recently stated on here that I was happy with my collection... yet I have a week off work this week and got bitten again.

It is a disease which sadly never leaves us.

Anyhoo... I am after getting my watch numbers down now as I am simply not rotating my stock at all. I even am finding myself coming home in my Railway issue TOC watch... leaving it on my wrist without grabbing one of my own pieces to wear. So in a way I am glad I got bitten again. I miss the hobby.

So yeah. I am really after getting down to four watches. A couple of beaters and a couple of special pieces.

I was already in possession of two Speedmaster Professionals. One, a 50th Anniversary patch, and the other the standard classic hesalite with some amazing old lume on it.
    The 50th Anniversary piece had actually broken. I was due to send it off to Duncan at Genesis for a new mainspring repair and service / breathe over. However, I got in touch with a shop who deal in pre-worn classics and enquired about what they would give me, and they gave me a wonderful part-ex price regardless of the fact that it wasn't even running.

I also had to source a couple of links, from a Blancpain dealership... otherwise the sale couldn't have gone through. The beauty of having large-ish wrists. Those have been sourced using the correct model number etc. so I was good to take the watch away knowing that I will wear it in future... and I won't lie... the wait is killing me.

So yeah... not your regular Blancpain but I am absolutely smitten with it.

I was after something unique... and I have had a look round and there aren't many of these to be had these days. Obviously a discontinued stock, but still very rare. I have seen a couple and they are coming in at much more than I had to part with to get this. One in the UK and one in the USA.

I have owned some lovely watches over the years... and even so I have become disillusioned with it all. Rolexes are now getting bought to move on for profit, same with the Speedie Tuesday. Watches, as a hobby, have felt distant to me of late. Blatant profiteering between peers on here... it all made my passion for certain brands and watches in general turn a little sour. So taking all that into consideration... I wanted something with that DIFFERENT satisfaction touch. A piece that you can tell is a quality piece, even if you aren't really wholly up on watches.. but one that is also anonimous by nature. Your average non-watch fan doesn't even know who Blancpain are... and that appeals to me.

And I love the model. It is a tool watch but the actual bezel and its mirrored numbers give a very SLIGHT tinge of bling. But not too much. They reflect in a way that gives it a jewellry feel but it's also a functionable watch.

It also has a feel of the Muhle Glasshute SAR... with the 'rubber on steel' effect bracelet.

It ticks many boxes for me... but mainly... I feel an individual with this piece. I took the train journey to the shop knowing that I could pick up a certain Panerai for the same price if it didn't fit and I couldn't source the links for the Blancpain... but I wouldn't be as excited. I even mentioned this to the guy working the shop who said: "Yeah... but I can source one of those any time you like. I doubt I will see another Blancpain in this design any time soon." And do you know what? He is right.

I don't even think that this piece is one for the Blancpain purists... and to be honest... I don't care.

It's for me... and I love it... and it has rekindled something in me.

I feel free for having it. I don't feel like I am running with a pack. Or bothered about the 'pack' even.

I feel ME with this piece.

Happy at finding a 'little corner of my own' in our great hobby.

Last edited by gregory; 26th January 2023 at 23:49.

Wow that’s a bit different in a good way.
    I never new this model existed.
    Thanks for sharing the story, glad you are smitten with it.
    I think it would look killer on a sale cloth strap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Wow that’s a bit different in a good way.
    I never new this model existed.
    Thanks for sharing the story, glad you are smitten with it.
    I think it would look killer on a sale cloth strap.
    Cheers mate.

Yeah.. me neither.. never knew of it until I saw it sat there.. and instantly wanted it.

I am not sure how the sail cloth will go. The shop guy was gonna give me a nato and shove it on it for me.. but came back and mentioned something about screws and the bracelet attachment.

I will have a play with it soon, see what I can use until the links arrive. It need to be worn.

But yeah.. smitten indeed.

It is magnificent!!!

It will be interesting to see it on some straps.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It is magnificent!!!

It will be interesting to see it on some straps.
    Thank you.

And yeah.. the links on these are screw fixings but a good size so I won't struggle with that.. however.. where the bar is attached to the drilled lugs there is the TINYEST of screws and the screw head is blowing my mind just looking at it.

I am simply gonna wait for the links to come. The last thing I need to do is butcher then screw heads on the bar.

As much as I am tempted! :)

Master
    nice watch, not too common for sure!
    if the screw heads are hexagonal (like on the Fifty Fathoms), you need a couple of 0.9mm hex screwdrivers. search for Wera 118062 or similar. then it's fairly easy to change straps & bracelet.

Craftsman
    I am a Blancpain fan and that is an intriguing watch … what is the bracelet made of and what is the word on the case back ..? The reason you enjoy the brand is same I like . it .. enjoy .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A truly distinctive piece - can certainly see the appeal, I even like the bracelet, which is rare. Is the movement 7750-based or in-house?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    ...what is the word on the case back?...
    The watch is an Blancpain Air Command Concept. On the caseback it says 'Concept 2000' & 'No.189'.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    A truly distinctive piece - can certainly see the appeal, I even like the bracelet, which is rare. Is the movement 7750-based or in-house?
    Frédéric Piguet 1185

Now that really is something!

Master
    Not my usual cup of tea, but I find it oddly enticing.

Damn it!

New Arrival : Blancpain Air Command Concept (keeper and cull)

Thanks for posting this. It certainly is a rare find but upon seeing the pictures I realised I had seen the model before. This screenshot from the 1999 edition of the Wristwatch Annual shows a model from that range. There were 3 hand and GMT variants as well as the chronograph, in steel and with steel or rubber bracelets too.

It seemed to still be in the Blancpain range a few years later as there is a different variant featured in the 2004 edition:

This looks more like your model. If you want info on the other variants let me know and I can scan the appropriate pages.

Blog Entries
    Well I have just seen this getting some new repies in watch talk.. many thanks for all who have replied.

I FINALLY got my links and the bracelet on this fitted TODAY.

I purchased it on 31st November so exactly EIGHT WEEKS to the day of purchase and I finally have it on my wrist.

Imagine THAT wait on an an incoming. Man... it felt like forever.

I knew this when I bought it so I felt it was worth it. Sometimes waiting makes something more appreciated and special. Anyway... I have her on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    nice watch, not too common for sure!
    if the screw heads are hexagonal (like on the Fifty Fathoms), you need a couple of 0.9mm hex screwdrivers. search for Wera 118062 or similar. then it's fairly easy to change straps & bracelet.
    Thank you very much... I was aware that it would be difficult to do any playing around with the straps etc... so this is a welcome info. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    I am a Blancpain fan and that is an intriguing watch … what is the bracelet made of and what is the word on the case back ..? The reason you enjoy the brand is same I like . it .. enjoy .

The bracelet is steel with fibre glass apparently. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Cirotti has commented below mate. On searching dually on the stated movement (it is down as a Blancpain f185) and Cirotti's Frédéric Piguet 1185 reply, it appears both are correct. The bp f185 has that 1185 is the base calibre.

https://calibercorner.com/blancpain-caliber-f185/

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The watch is an Blancpain Air Command Concept. On the caseback it says 'Concept 2000' & 'No.189'.

Indeed it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    Frédéric Piguet 1185
    This, having searched, it is a Blancpain f185 but based on the above? Many thanks cirotti.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    Now that really is something!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Not my usual cup of tea, but I find it oddly enticing.

Damn it!
    Same here. I like a tooler and it has tooler elements but also some elegance about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It certainly is a rare find but upon seeing the pictures I realised I had seen the model before. This screenshot from the 1999 edition of the Wristwatch Annual shows a model from that range. There were 3 hand and GMT variants as well as the chronograph, in steel and with steel or rubber bracelets too.

It seemed to still be in the Blancpain range a few years later as there is a different variant featured in the 2004 edition:

This looks more like your model. If you want info on the other variants let me know and I can scan the appropriate pages.

Thank you for these recent uploads and pictures.

Yes.. it is indeed the bottom one. Thank you for sharing I have saved the image.. much appreciated.

Greg.