closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which DE Razor and blades?

Which DE Razor and blades?

Looking to get a DE razor and blades to see if it cuts down on the shaving rash I get. Currently looking at a Merkur razor but not sure if it’s a good choice or what blades to get with it.

Any recommendations?

Craftsman
    I have an Edwin Jagger DE89 with Astra blades. Works well for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think that this has been discussed, lots.

I have had a Merkur barber pole for ten years or so, fairly basic model from the shaving shack. If I bought again I would get the one with the longer handle. Initially I bought a few different blades, now use my favourite, I think their called feathers.

I like a DE shave but it is a faf and probably no better than a multi blade, it might be cheaper. I did find that it helped with shaving rash though. As long as you don’t rush. Just don’t expect the perfect shave on the first go.

Merkur 37c Slant and astra blades.
    Don't be scared by some claims that it's an aggressive razor, handled lightly it's really a pussycat and delivers an irritation free shave.
    Just make sure to use some decent soap/cream like Proraso.

Craftsman
    I electric shave at the moment but have several DE razors as I tend to wet shave on holiday (more time in the mornings).
    Merkur are fine. I use a Merkur slant.
    Try Astra blades or maybe Gilette yellow.
    I have a tough beard but fairly sensitive skin.
    Don't forget to acquire a styptic pencil - you will need it.
    Good luck.

Master
    Went over to DE last year, bought a cheap handle off Amazon and some Astra blades and love it, doesn’t need to take much longer than my old Mach 3

I am "in love" with the Mühle Rocca, but that might be a bit expensive for a first DE razor. The Edwin Jagger DE89 is a safe choice. If you are a bit more adventurous, the Fatip Grande would make an affordable and interesting choice.

Regarding blades; Feather, then a long time nothing, and then Personna Platinum Chrome blades. But blades are a very personal choice (e.g. I'm not an Astra fan at all).

Agree with what others above have said: EJ DE89 and Astras are where I started and this seems to be a forgiving but effective combination. I now use Feather blades but these are sharper so probably best not to start with these.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Merkur 37c Slant and astra blades.
    Don't be scared by some claims that it's an aggressive razor, handled lightly it's really a pussycat and delivers an irritation free shave.
    Just make sure to use some decent soap/cream like Proraso.
    If you have not used a DE before I would not start with a slant model razor.
    Your bathroom will look like you have tried to slaughter a pig.

The Merkur 38c is a good model to start with and may well be the only one you will ever need.
    It is closed comb and the handle length and overall design make it easy to use.

Craftsman
    Have a basic Merkur and a vintage Gillette Superspeed. Using Astra blades at the moment which seem good after using Wilkinson's for months. All the Russian and german blades seem to be good. I would avoid the Merkur branded blades unless they have changed in the last few years as they were poor for me. Feathers I find over-rated.

Thanks all, I’ll start with some Astra blades seeing as so many of you are using them.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I now use Feather blades but these are sharper so probably best not to start with these.
    Respectfully disagree ... Feathers are very sharp indeed, but IMHO not something that a new shaver should be afraid of. The hype around them is not really justified, I would say. The key for a beginner is probably a mild razor to start with.

While I love Feathers in my more aggressive razors (e.g. Fatip open comb) that's indeed not a good combination to start with. But with a mild razor, they are very friendly blades, and they quickly teach you that no pressure is needed to get a good shave.

Master
    I've just begun using a DE Razor, using a Merkur 25C with Feather blades and Proraso cream.

Very happy with the shave and so far not a single cut.

To be slightly controversial, the big thing if you are getting rash is a good post shave balm.

I use a Pall Mall Barbers Clove balm and it is a revelation. I get the same rash regardless of blade, but the balm eliminates it.

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    To be slightly controversial, the big thing if you are getting rash is a good post shave balm.

I use a Pall Mall Barbers Clove balm and it is a revelation. I get the same rash regardless of blade, but the balm eliminates it.
    Thanks, I’ve tried various aftershaves and balms but nothing works particularly well. I’ll take a look at this.

I did what you are doing for a couple of years.

Your face will likely look like a pizza after your first go, then your skin gets used to it.

It think it's the prep that makes the difference, not the razor.

I'm now back on the Gillette as the shave is far faster and closer than a DE. My prep is rubbing my face with coal tar shampoo in the shower and shaving no more than twice a week.

No sensitivity at all these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Thanks, I’ve tried various aftershaves and balms but nothing works particularly well. I’ll take a look at this.
    To be specific, I use a face scrub before a shower, a decent soap and then the balm after. Stopped me being red faced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a Feather AS DS 2 but get my best shaves with Derby blades even though the razor is not aggressive I couldn’t get on with the feather blades, just buy a mixed pack of blades and give them a try see what suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    just buy a mixed pack of blades and give them a try see what suits you.
    Good idea, several vendors (e.g. Connaught Shaving) sell sample packs. There are several shaving related forums as well, but they are going to cost you money :P

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The DE is the start of a slippery slope !

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Looking to get a DE razor and blades to see if it cuts down on the shaving rash I get. Currently looking at a Merkur razor but not sure if it’s a good choice or what blades to get with it.

Any recommendations?
    i use DE89L with astra and feather blades and everything from the red line Proraso
    Last edited by DimGR; 1st February 2018 at 23:10.

To open another can of worms ... brushes? ;)

A boar (e.g. Omega) is inexpensive to start with, but requires breaking in. Synthetics are getting better each time as well. And if you want to spend real money, there is a whole world of badger grades (from "pure" to "unobtainable").

Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    To open another can of worms ... brushes? ;)

A boar (e.g. Omega) is inexpensive to start with, but requires breaking in. Synthetics are getting better each time as well. And if you want to spend real money, there is a whole world of badger grades (from "pure" to "unobtainable").
    seamogue 1250 is also a very good one

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Agree with what others above have said: EJ DE89 and Astras are where I started and this seems to be a forgiving but effective combination. I now use Feather blades but these are sharper so probably best not to start with these.
    Same here. Swapped to Feather at Christmas time, which caused much bleeding! My face must have toughened up because it’s not a problem now... The difference between blades can be surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I tried quite a few combinations, but in the end I settled for Merkur progress and Polsilver Super Iridium razor blades

o Merkur progress - adjustability is the key - you set it on 3-4 on first passes (wtg&xtg), and finally on 1 for atg pass
    o Polsilver - long lasting and perfect sharpness - not as sharp as feather blades, but I enjoyed them more

ps:
    Recently I acquired Rockwell safety razor 6S which is by far the best razor I used, but I am not recommending it as I am only using it last few weeks (maybe a new toy syndrome), and I used merkur for two years straight before that.
    There is also 6C version which as much cheaper than stainless steel model.

I use Gillette Silver Blue blades but it really does come down to personal preference and what works for you. As others have pointed out, buy the trial packs and see what suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I use Gillette Silver Blue blades but it really does come down to personal preference and what works for you. As others have pointed out, buy the trial packs and see what suits you.
    This post is incredibly helpful for me. I’ve been wracking my brains trying to remember some amazing blades I bought on holiday in France a good few years ago (after I had my Feathers taken off me in the airport). I remember thinking they were amazing, even better than Feathers but I had a couple of years supply of Feathers back at home and have been using them up. I then forgot what these excellent holiday blades were. I just Googled Gillette Silver Blue after seeing your post and that’s the ones! My Feather supply runs out in a few weeks so will buy a job lot of these Gillettes next. I see like Feathers you can buy packs of 100 on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    seamogue 1250 is also a very good one
    I never got on with Semogue boars really. OTOH the SOC badger is a great brush.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    DE shaving is probably going to give you more not less irritation, it’s a learning curve and one I found once mastered still wasn’t better than a Mach3!
    That said I still enjoy the odd Sunday shave with my vintage TTO Gillet razor.

It really needn't be another instance of gear acquisition. I've got one soap (cella, by the kilo), one brush (Rooney), and two razors, an open comb Gillette and an adjustable Gillette.

As for blades, do the sample thing then buy your favourite by the 100.

Started with an EJ DE89 but moved on to Fatip with a Gentile and Piccolo. Very pleased with both, fully brass as opposed to the zamak of the Edwin Jagger (and most current DE's that aren't fully SS like Ikon, Weber, Maggards etc).

Whatever you do don't bother with Derby blades, usually freebies when you buy a handle for a reason.

My current blade selection, part of the appeal being the interesting packets they come in. Most of these are Russian.

I bought a trial pack of different blades when I started DE shaving a few years ago.

Most were good, Astra, Gillette etc, but by far the best for me were Feathers.

As has already been said, it does take time to get the technique right, but to me DE blades cut the hairs whereas the multi-blade ones pull them out.

I've found that a hot towel first also helps as does getting the consistency of the cream/soap right.

Getting the lather wet enough (but not too wet) and keeping it long enough on your face to soften the hairs does the trick for me. I don't bother with hot towels or preshave oils.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Agree with the Edwin Jagger. I’m Biased as they’re made in my home town, so I stick with them.

I have a DE89 and use Astra blades (bought about 1000 off amazon for next to nothing). It’s lasted me 5 years so far and hopefully a good 20 more

Last edited by donkertraz; 3rd February 2018 at 05:12.

Quote Originally Posted by donkertraz View Post
    Agree with the Edwin Jagger. Biased as they’re made in my home town but I still with them anyway.
    Are they really made there? So it's true that Mühle and Edwin Jagger only share the design, but not the factory? Interesting!

I have an Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre brush that I use for travel; works really well.

I have numerous DE razors, including Edwin Jagger, Merkur (both slant and normal) and Henckels. I’d honestly struggle to find much difference, but tend to prefer the Edwin Jagger for its heft.

The same is largely true with blades, and I personally like Merkur’s own.

Brushes, however, are another thing and I far prefer badger to boar or badger/boar mix. I have a good few, but like Omega and the Simpson Wee Scot for travelling.

I have also bought a few knots direct from China and made up my own brushes using bone and antler.

For cut-throats I like Kropp and Thiers-Issard, but those are reserved for Sunday morning shaves before the first cup of coffee!

I avoid multi-blade disposables where possible, but the amount of travel I do makes them a necessary evil at times.

@willie_gunn I use a Gillette G2 for travel. Fixed head, twin blades, least "cartridge razor shave like" experience, and you can get the carts almost everywhere.

I'd recommend a 1950's/60's Gillette Tech off ebay. They're old but the Tech is IMO the equal of most modern razors, plus they're fairly cheap so you can see if you like DE without spending a mint (you'll do that later when you decide you like it !)

Sterilise it properly (you can look up how to do that) & get some decent blades (I like Shark or Personna).

Also get a decent shaving brush & a Palmolive or better still Arko shave stick.

DE is far easier on your skin than cartridges & a better shave. There's load of video's on Youtube for technique etc.

I hope that helps.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I'd recommend a 1950's/60's Gillette Tech off ebay. They're old but the Tech is IMO the equal of most modern razors, plus they're fairly cheap so you can see if you like DE without spending a mint (you'll do that later when you decide you like it !)
    Good suggestion, but then don't overlook the Schick Krona as well. The head design must have made Gillette envious at the time!

Master
    I use feather platinum plated blades, and a Jagen David DE.....I'm saving for a feather AS-DS2

Also, I rub my face after shaving with an alum block, it's amazing at stopping those little white spots and calms razor rash.

Craftsman
    I went back to DE shaving after 40 years.....all of a sudden shaving has become a pleasure rather than a chore. Mine’s an Edwin Jagger and I use Wilkinson Sword blades

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    The DE is the start of a slippery slope !

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5
    Christ on a bike, I bet that last one took a steep learning curve!

Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    @willie_gunn I use a Gillette G2 for travel. Fixed head, twin blades, least "cartridge razor shave like" experience, and you can get the carts almost everywhere.
    Cheers for that. I'll look one out.

I had a beard for years, because my neck was a mess with cartridge razors.

These days, I have multiple proper razors. From adjustables to slants to open comb to injectors.

For the best very low irritation shave, there’s two options I’d recommend:

Cheap: Gillette Guard. It’s a cartridge razor for the Indian market. It’s smooth, cheap, and easy to use. It has fins on it which allow shaving soap to still be on the skin when the blade cuts, a bit like an open comb, for a more protected shave.

Reasonable: Schick injector. A proper razor, using injector blades. Injector blades are more rigid than DE blades, and tend to give a better shave.

Regarding blades for a proper DE shave, I echo the positive feedback on Gillette Silver Blue. Rubies are good, as are Polsilver. I don’t get the hype about Feathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mikiejack; 5th February 2018 at 21:46.

Craftsman
    a bit more expensive than some of the suggestions, but have a look at:
    https://www.thomasclipper.com/

Always nice to support a smaller British company where possible.

I use a 1960s Gillette Fatboy adjustable DE with Feather Blades. That is for me the best combination but everyone is different. Look online and get samples of blades. For the DE I started by buying a modern DE and also a 1960 Gillette DE used both and found I was more comfy and enjoyed the vintage razors. The 1960s Gillette’s can be had fairly cheap and with good cleaning come up excellent and are amazing value and a good reminder of when things was built to last!

Craftsman
    Who needs a razor, get magnum pi tash!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Ive discovered these - and very pleased with them. I have a drawer full of Astras - which are good, but I much prefer the Gillettes.

If you want a try of Astras, drop me a pm..

Master

For travailing and when you just need a quick shave I use a company called 'Cornerstone' who do mail order razors, they are mach3 in type but have a separate single blade built in for beard trimming.
    If you sign up using the link/code below they credit your and my account with £10 which you can use on your first order (you don’t ever have to order anything else if you don’t want to) ....so you get 6 blades and a chrome handle delivered for just £4!

https://www.cornerstone.co.uk/7dar0851

Last edited by dizz; 9th February 2018 at 13:51.

For those (not here really) saying that a DE shave takes too long; I just timed my Sunday morning shave and, including prep and clean up, it took me a bit more than 13 minutes. That's with three passes, using a Fatip OC and a Personna "Made in Israel" blade. Smooth, no blood, and no irritation ;-)