closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision

Master

Eurovision

I always watch it, I know, I know that I'm sad, but it's a good laugh

will the UK be last? - just listened to the UK entry, James Cameron, it's not good ...... in fact it's terrible

Pity Denmark did not make the final, it was so bad that it was entertaining.

The only good thing about eurovision 2021 is the 18 year old woman in the skin tight purple outfit

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

will the UK be last? - just listened to the UK entry, James Cameron, it's not good ...... in fact it's terrible
    Agree guilty pleasure watching even if it’s only for the political voting that’s so bad it makes FIFA look squeaky clean.

If you look at the impact this small country has had on the music industry over the last 60 years, I reckon we’ve won music if it ever was a competition in the first place! I generally think it’s harmless fun, but perhaps we should politely withdraw from what has become a political circus in the last few years. All it serves as now is a reminder of exactly why this bilge doesn’t trouble the music charts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

He's a versatile cove that James Cameron.

(It's James Newman).

Master
    well that's that then

usual "entertaining stuff"

UK - Nil points from the Juries and Nil points from the voting general public throughout Europe

Master
    I hadn't watched it for years, but I did watch last night. I was quite entertained.

I honestly thought the Ukraine entry was really good, not cynically commercial or Eurovision-by-numbers but distinctive and genuine. I really liked the French entry as well - nothing to do with Europop but a heartfelt performance of a song in the traditional melodramatic torch song stylee.

I actually missed ours. I can't imagine I'd have liked it much. Some of the other entries were incredibly generic, the sort of thing you think you've heard a dozen times before.

Embarrassing to get 0 points of course, but it's been going on for years.

I was gutted to see the Italians win - the worst sort of scenery-chewing, limp-wristed faux heavy glam rock. Just awful.

Master
    We get automatic qualification to the final because we're one of the biggest financial contributors to the European Broadcasting Union.

Maybe we should waive that and go out gracefully in the early stages? It might well contribute to the resentment that Eurovision voters in other countries feel towards the UK entry, in any case. And it would be less embarrassing for the artist concerned.

Even as probably one of the most pro-European members of this forum I think it’s now time for us to withdraw from this competition. The old arguments that we get what we deserve by entering dross don’t hold up anymore. This time we entered a reasonably well respected singer/songwriter and gave the competition some respect. The song wasn’t good enough to win but was certainly in the top ten. The vote was purely political and it comes to something when the likes of Russia and Israel get more support from the people of Europe than we do. We’re not liked, in fact we’re probably the most hated nation on the planet. That’s not going to change anytime soon so why should we continue to pay money just to be jeered at?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I hadn't watched it for years, but I did watch last night. I was quite entertained.

I honestly thought the Ukraine entry was really good, not cynically commercial or Eurovision-by-numbers but distinctive and genuine. I really liked the French entry as well - nothing to do with Europop but a heartfelt performance of a song in the traditional melodramatic torch song stylee.

I actually missed ours. I can't imagine I'd have liked it much. Some of the other entries were incredibly generic, the sort of thing you think you've heard a dozen times before.

Embarrassing to get 0 points of course, but it's been going on for years.

I was gutted to see the Italians win - the worst sort of scenery-chewing, limp-wristed faux heavy glam rock. Just awful.
    Ours just so generic too. Never stood a chance, even if UK wasn't so unpopular.

I watched it and found it quite entertaining. I thought Germany would win with their anti hate song, seemed well timed for what's going on generally and was surprised how few votes it actually got.

I think the UK should politely withdraw from entering in future. I think we could put The Rolling Stones or McCartney or Elton John up and we still wouldn't get any votes. I did think the UK song was weak, so wasn't going to score many points, but I thought maybe the odd one here and there. Cyprus and Greece being best buddies is always good fun.

Politics coupled with a crap singer.... that sums it up.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was punchy of the Italians to rack a load of lines on the table AND get caught snorting one when the camera panned to the winners!!

Honestly I think the way forward is to put Elton John up as Ken suggests - when a legend gets 0 points it would finally end the farce of this show. Last night the auditorium even gasped at the scoring - pretty sure the embarrassment is real for all.

Hated every second of the show and won’t be tuning in again.

Eurovision is way too political. The UK should exit Eurovision where we will be free to create our own competition among friends globally. There will be no downsides to this, countries will flock to sign up. I believe Papua New Guinea are keen to do a deal for starters.

This new competition will see contestants banging out classic tunes such as 'We'll meet again', 'My old man's a dustman' and 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler' - plus of course an obligatory rendition of 'God Save The Queen' during the intermission. A proper competition for a proper Britain.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Honestly I think the way forward is to put Elton John up as Ken suggests - when a legend gets 0 points it would finally end the farce of this show. Last night the auditorium even gasped at the scoring - pretty sure the embarrassment is real for all.

Hated every second of the show and won’t be tuning in again.
    EJ might be a legend but hardly a great singer now (if he ever was).

Eurovision

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    EJ might be a legend but hardly a great singer now (if he ever was).
    Oasis, McCartney, whoever - the point stands. It wouldn’t matter if you put Elvis up there the U.K. wouldn’t make top 15.

See your point but no way McCartney.

What i cant understand is that if we got zero points for being a hated country, then how do you explain Russia getting 204 points.

Or did they hack into some computer system or pay someone off.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    What i cant understand is that if we got zero points for being a hated country, then how do you explain Russia getting 204 points.

Or did they hack into some computer system or pay someone off.
    Because those countries with a Russian border bung them some points in order to keep the peace. No one is scared of the UK

Yeah, the Ukraine gave them 0 points few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Eurovision is way too political. The UK should exit Eurovision where we will be free to create our own competition among friends globally. There will be no downsides to this, countries will flock to sign up. I believe Papua New Guinea are keen to do a deal for starters.

This new competition will see contestants banging out classic tunes such as 'We'll meet again', 'My old man's a dustman' and 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler' - plus of course an obligatory rendition of 'God Save The Queen' during the intermission. A proper competition for a proper Britain.

I think we should have a national vote on it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has to be the worst TV ever never watched it never will. I do not know why the UK send an entry so has to give these tosspot euro countries the ammunition to make fun of us. We have more talent in song writers and performers then the rest of euro trash land will ever have

Eurovision

There were some real gooduns int’old days that would win today.

Luxembourg 1967:

https://youtu.be/0sju6W0OyE0

Italia 1958:

https://youtu.be/s0_5tg1G5eE

Deutschland 1959, crap toon, but good looking:

https://youtu.be/aJSN68U31l4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Has to be the worst TV ever; never watched it never will.
    We have a clairvoyant in our midst!

FWIW, I’m inclined to agree with you although I do like to watch the points being awarded just to see how much the rest of Europe dislike the UK!

Has to be the worst TV ever never watched it never will. I do not know why the UK send an entry so has to give these tosspot euro countries the ammunition to make fun of us. We have more talent in song writers and performers then the rest of euro trash land will ever have
    The "inferiority / persecution complex" is strong in you Skywalker.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Didn't know it was on.

I think last time I watched it was when Sandy Shaw won it.

It was overblown pap then and I am sure now as well.

We only had three TV channels then so there is no excuse to watch it now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Our fault for not using them then.

I found it an entertaining couple of hours of TV.
    Exceptionally polished production.
    Some great acts, from a lot of countries, and we probably got what we deserved

Pointless yet harmless competition but not for me. It's a good litmus test for how much GB is hated across Europe. If it were a World Song Contest we might get the Commonwealth vote but we'd still be hated and embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Pointless yet harmless competition but not for me. It's a good litmus test for how much GB is hated across Europe. If it were a World Song Contest we might get the Commonwealth vote but we'd still be hated and embarrassed.
    I'm not convinced. We've put some absolute shite up on the stage with generic non-descript music. You can't tell me that if we stuck Adele on stage that the UK wouldn't win by a mile?

We did watch it as a family for a laugh, for a wind up I was saying things like WOW they are amazing, such good singers, they are my favourite, about all the attractive girls/groups, this led my son to look at me in disgust and call me a Cringe Lord!

I liked Finland and Italy and was pleased to see the Italians win, all these songs trying to send a positive message got tiring and nauseas by the end..

Our song was rubbish and the guy couldn't sing it very well either. Certainly wasn't worthy of last place though.

Master
    the UK was certainly one of, if not, the worse

song, singer and presentation were really poor - what was he wearing!! - too many meat pies!

why do we do this year after year?

we deserved last place along with Germany who were about on par

tragic!!

I'm not convinced. We've put some absolute shite up on the stage with generic non-descript music. You can't tell me that if we stuck Adele on stage that the UK wouldn't win by a mile?

Er.... that’s exactly what I’m saying. Adele wouldn’t get close to winning. It’s not a music contest really.

Funny though that when the UK finished first (5 times) or second (15 times) it wasn’t political but a well deserved win due to having the best song (or second best).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Er.... that’s exactly what I’m saying. Adele wouldn’t get close to winning. It’s not a music contest really.
    If we had the best song we would win. I don't think people are that anti-uk

Seeing folks complaining about Nil Points for the UK entry in to Eurovision, and how this is all sour grapes over Brexit.
    Is now a good time to point out that:
    1) there was a public vote across Europe plus Aus.
    2) The nil points was the will of the people and should be respected.
    3) are we questioning the motives of the millions who voted and their musical integrity?
    4) Despite the eurovismoaners, we were in fact just shite?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Funny though that when the UK finished first (5 times) or second (15 times) it wasn’t political but a well deserved win due to having the best song (or second best).
    OK, so why were people voting for us back then? What political benefit did we offer?

Alternatively, who should have won instead of Sandy Shaw, Bucks Fizz and the other three?

If we had the best song we would win. I don't think people are that anti-uk

Seeing folks complaining about Nil Points for the UK entry in to Eurovision, and how this is all sour grapes over Brexit.
    Is now a good time to point out that:
    1) there was a public vote across Europe plus Aus.
    2) The nil points was the will of the people and should be respected.
    3) are we questioning the motives of the millions who voted and their musical integrity?
    4) Despite the eurovismoaners, we were in fact just shite?

Do you think the UK was the worst act? There’s no sour grapes at all. I genuinely don’t think anyone cared when we won it either - Terry Wogan used to love ripping the Michael out of it year on year.

Jeez we lost - get over it
    It gets better...
    https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...hQOMg.facebook
    Last edited by number2; 23rd May 2021 at 20:31.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    OK, so why were people voting for us back then? What political benefit did we offer?

Alternatively, who should have won instead of Sandy Shaw, Bucks Fizz and the other three?
    Precisely my point: it’s not political. Yes, some countries will vote preferentially for each other, but overall it is more anecdotal. So if it wasn’t political when you won, why would it be when you lose?
    Honestly “Ambers” was rather shite, and badly sung.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Falling out over Eurovision, seriously people!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I was so disgusted that I kicked the TV off the wall and I sent the European Broadcasting Company the bill...

It was a pants song, sung by a pants artist with a pants performance. It’s no surprise we came last, the games the UK have played over the last few years just helped to cement the position.

I think Moldova’s entry should have won and she was robbed of the title, by far the best act, I can’t remember the song though.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Jeez we lost - get over it
    It gets better...
    https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...hQOMg.facebook

I think that’s exactly what would happen tbh - not quite sure why we are so universally disliked, not that I particularly care if I’m being brutally honest - it’s always been a cheese-fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We shouldn’t do it again, spend the money on something useful

Master
    There’s no universal dislike for UK.
    Most of the people have already forgot about Brexit.
    The song was just bad.
    There were songs that were worse but some countries automatically give points to their neighbouring countries.
    If they hadn’t, only difference would have been that there would have been more countries with zero points.

Grand Master
    Winning Eurovision means you have the shittest song, actually losing makes you a winner
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Our fault for not using them then.
    Could you see the likes of Ed Sheeran James Bay wanting to enter a very unprofessional crap competition, I think not