closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Full Gold.

Master

Full Gold.

I’m getting old and I’m ready for Gold !

Quite fancy something solid gold, including bracelet.
    36mm too small for me, don’t mind vintage or pre-owned but would prefer new.
    Am I looking at Subs/Daytonas or even the new Speedy and £30k or are there alternatives ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Two that have been pulling at me recently are the new white gold sub with blue bezel and the new speedie in red gold. I’d still get a dd40 first but those two, especially the speedie look gorgeous.

Master
    To be specific, I’m looking at Yellow Gold, but if we’re talking £30k I am only looking. Quite a lot available on a strap £5-£10k.

Grand Master
    Vintage is the way to go but if you won’t wear 36mm or slightly smaller your choice will be v. limited.

Have a look on Mike Woods website (theoldwatchshop), he’s got a solid gold Speedmaster moon phase for £5k. Size is 38.5mm approx, I have a similar watch in gold/steel.

Smaller watches are fine unless you’ve got huge wrists, just take a bit of getting used to after wearing bigger stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Vintage is the way to go but if you won’t wear 36mm or slightly smaller your choice will be v. limited.

Have a look on Mike Woods website (theoldwatchshop), he’s got a solid gold Speedmaster moon phase for £5k. Size is 38.5mm approx, I have a similar watch in gold/steel.

Smaller watches are fine unless you’ve got huge wrists, just take a bit of getting used to after wearing bigger stuff.

Master
    Thanks for that Walkerwek1958, I have seen the Speedy Moon on Mike’s site, lovely watch at a great price but I would prefer a gold bracelet.

Master
    Going solid gold does sort of mean you have made it but wearing a solid gold bracelet is just plain pimpy.

Whilst I am a Rolex fanboy and wear SS bracelets, the thought of a gold watch on a gold bracelet is stomach churning.

Take a lesson from PP, gold watches are nearly always mounted on a leather or likewise strap and it tones it down a bit.

With a budget of £30k, you could go for a PP and there are loads to chose from.

Craftsman
    Rose gold Daytona 

Guess I’m a pimp

Master
    I’d wanted a full gold watch for a long time and something always put me off. Not sure what but I never felt ready. White gold was always a definite no and I wasn’t sure about other golds. My father has a blue yellow gold sub. I wore it for a week and loved it. As he bought that watch with the intention of passing it to me one day, buying one wasn’t an option. I’d set my heart on rose gold and had narrowed it down to either the olive or chocolate dial day date. Still wasn’t sure though. Always found reasons for not buying gold.

Then this was offered to me. Totally against what I thought I’d buy. I love it though and definitely made the right decision.

Always felt like a gap in the market to me. The premium Rolex/Omega charge on gold is very high, you'd think a mid-market player would consider capitalising on the gap for a (relatively speaking) affordable gold watch with bracelet. Perhaps the Tudor BB58 will get a bracelet option at some point... would be interesting to see where they would price that.

Craftsman
    Gold is most definitely making a comeback, bark and jack has made a video comparing a steel / gold steel and full yellow gold sub and I’m beginning to come round to a full gold piece, but it may be a long time till I could actually afford one!

I’ve just bought an new Omega Aqua Terra GMT in full Sedna gold. Retail price was £26k got it for £13,300. Best value, new, all gold (including bracelet) watch I could find.

Should arrive this week and I will add pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    I’ve just bought an new Omega Aqua Terra GMT in full Sedna gold. Retail price was £26k got it for £13,300. Best value, new, all gold (including bracelet) watch I could find.

Should arrive this week and I will add pictures.

Now that sounds interesting! Look forward to seeing it.

If the day comes when I’m rich enough to get a frivolous, just for the hell of it watch, then that would certainly be a rose gold, chocolate dial Daytona on Oysterflex.

It’s a personal thing, but a gold case AND bracelet is a bit OTT, certainly for me. Most gold cases pair well with leather, but the Oysterflex really suits that Daytona

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    If the day comes when I’m rich enough to get a frivolous, just for the hell of it watch, then that would certainly be a rose gold, chocolate dial Daytona on Oysterflex.

It’s a personal thing, but a gold case AND bracelet is a bit OTT, certainly for me. Most gold cases pair well with leather, but the Oysterflex really suits that Daytona

Dave

Same for me - so I went for the YM40 rose gold on Oysterflex . . . but I could possibly add a gold DD on gold president bracelet at a future date.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    Gold is most definitely making a comeback, bark and jack has made a video comparing a steel / gold steel and full yellow gold sub and I’m beginning to come round to a full gold piece, but it may be a long time till I could actually afford one!
    That’s why gold will never make a significant comeback. Steel watches from the ‘ desirable’ brands have become so expensive that the mark- up required to sell gold examples will take the prices out of reach for the majority. Apart from the metal value, gold watches are more expensive to produce but the traditional nark- up in price far outweighs these factors.

I own several vintage gold watches, I’ve always liked gold, but I certainly wouldn’t pay the prices being asked for new ones. Vintage really is the way to go, especially for a watch that won’t be a daily wearer, but size will be an issue for the many people who’ve been brainwashed into thinking a watch needs to be big enough to fill the wrist.

The fact that bark and jack, whoever they are, have featured gold and steel subs doesn’t mean gold will become popular again. It’ll remain popular with me, but that hasn’t changed for 26 years regardless of what is or isn’t ‘on trend’!

Craftsman
    Had my eye on this for a while but haven’t been able to pull the trigger as I haven’t been able to try one one. Bit dubious about the strap

£8k for a solid gold Omega AT seems a steal

https://www.pragnell.co.uk/omega-sea...113001_2375728

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think if youre going to go gold, go all the way inc bracelet.
    Half measures will not do!

(the new rose gold Speedmaster is incredible)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Have to agree with this, I'm getting to like the idea more and more.

Oi, who said 'age' at the back....?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

That's the spirit!

My uncle wears a Day/date on bracelet and it always looks the business.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman

Totally agree. My gold watches on straps look good but I can never get them to fit perfectly. My DD40 just fits like a glove. It’s easier with a silky smooth bracelet that has the weight to balance the watch head to get a perfect fit. (Exception being the oysterlfex bands which are super comfortable if you like a cozy fit.)

Gold bracelets are by far better value than steel ones too. Steel has an astronomical % markup compared to gold. So the man maths says full gold all the way.

And, oh, that Sedna Speedmaster 😍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’d wanted a full gold watch for a long time and something always put me off. Not sure what but I never felt ready. White gold was always a definite no and I wasn’t sure about other golds. My father has a blue yellow gold sub. I wore it for a week and loved it. As he bought that watch with the intention of passing it to me one day, buying one wasn’t an option. I’d set my heart on rose gold and had narrowed it down to either the olive or chocolate dial day date. Still wasn’t sure though. Always found reasons for not buying gold.

Then this was offered to me. Totally against what I thought I’d buy. I love it though and definitely made the right decision.

Yeah, that’s the best sub ever. I want one and your pictures don’t help assuage that desire.

How about a white gold Ulysse Nardin maxi marine. Looks superb and a fraction of the price of a gold sub.

Haters gon’hate but IMO if you’re gonna go gold, go the whole hog, must be the “pimp” in me…..
    Last edited by spuds; 10th November 2021 at 18:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post

Haters gon’hate but IMO if you’re gonna go gold, go the whole hog, must be the “pimp” in me…..
    Not a fan of full gold at all, but that rose gold day-date is really nice.

It will require a lottery win for me unfortunately!

Craftsman
    The rose gold day date olive green dial is my fave all gold piece, absolute class

The rose gold DD40 pictured above with the olive dial and the rose gold CHNR have to be the best two from Rolex right now outside of platinum or white gold. On Oysterflex the WG Daytona with or without the meteorite dial.

Agree with verv, full gold or don't bother. Don't see the point in two tone at all although with the YM40 either the two tone is cheap or the steel is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    …Agree with verv, full gold or don't bother. Don't see the point in two tone at all although with the YM40 either the two tone is cheap or the steel is expensive.
    I respectfully don’t agree with this at all to be honest, as per the above I own three all gold Rolex models but also a two-tone/bi-metal blue Sub, even though I now have the YG Sub’ too, the ‘bluesy’ (?) is somehow my favourite, nay is somehow my perfect ‘summer holiday watch’.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    How about a white gold Ulysse Nardin maxi marine. Looks superb and a fraction of the price of a gold sub.
    Oh hello!!!!!

Anything Ulysse Nardin has got my vote!! And the latest Marine's have a gorgeous in house movement with display caseback!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    The rose gold day date olive green dial is my fave all gold piece, absolute class

Completely agree, but I'm a little biased here......

But I'd love to also add a matching Olive Anniversary dial DD, but in the lovely Everose version as modelled by spuds!

Grand Master
    I like bimetal watches and I own a few, including a 16013 Datejust with jubilee bracelet. However, I find the bimetal Oyster bimetal bracelets a bit too blingy, the gold links would look better with a brushed finish IMO. Omega did this with some of their bimetal offerings and it works, a far more subtle effect to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I like bimetal watches and I own a few, including a 16013 Datejust with jubilee bracelet. However, I find the bimetal Oyster bimetal bracelets a bit too blingy, the gold links would look better with a brushed finish IMO. Omega did this with some of their bimetal offerings and it works, a far more subtle effect to my eye.
    I think that’s the whole point mate, some people want subtle (eg WG Sub or brushed gold centre links), some people want a bit of bling (TT Sub/DD40), and some people want utter, utter, ‘in your face-ness’ (YG Sub’) so it’s very much ‘each to their own’ in my opinion!

(Please feel free to substitute ‘people’ for ‘occasions’ and ‘want’ for ‘warrant’ as you see fit… or don’t: it’s entirely up to you!)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    These were my two, the subtler rose YM and the in your face Miami vice yellow GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I respectfully don’t agree with this at all to be honest, as per the above I own three all gold Rolex models but also a two-tone/bi-metal blue Sub, even though I now have the YG Sub’ too, the ‘bluesy’ (?) is somehow my favourite, nay is somehow my perfect ‘summer holiday watch’.
    I’ll probably backtrack on that at some point. I never understood white gold either and this time last year I was trashing the YM42 until I ended up buying one and now I love it!

Apprentice
    If you are looking for a gold bracelet, the Vacheron Constantin Overseas with blue dial is outstanding
    Also comes with strap options if you want to tone it down
    Downside is it’s above your budget but it does potentially make the “one watch collection” honours board

Quote Originally Posted by krakovian View Post
    If you are looking for a gold bracelet, the Vacheron Constantin Overseas with blue dial is outstanding
    Also comes with strap options if you want to tone it down
    Downside is it’s above your budget but it does potentially make the “one watch collection” honours board

Absolutely agreed that is one beautiful watch, but at £17k more than the ‘equivalent’ Sub’ with an reputedly more delicate movement, I personally decided against it.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies.
    To re-cap (and I perhaps was not clear enough in my original post) I’d like a full gold, including bracelet (not strap) and ideally 40mm-ish.
    I haven’t got £30k so was looking for alternatives.
    Although if I did have £30k it would have to be the Black dial Daytona with the contasting solid subdials !
    Or a vintage GMT on a Jubilee !

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    To re-cap (and I perhaps was not clear enough in my original post) I’d like a full gold, including bracelet (not strap) and ideally 40mm-ish.
    I haven’t got £30k so was looking for alternatives.
    Although if I did have £30k it would have to be the Black dial Daytona with the contasting solid subdials !
    Or a vintage GMT on a Jubilee !

It’d be handy to know your budget but there’s a YG 38mm Blancpain Chrono’ on bracelet at £10.5k or a 39mm Breitling Windrider at £13k both on Chrono24, although £20k gets you much more choice….
    Last edited by spuds; 12th November 2021 at 00:32.