closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watchfinder taking the p@as surely?

Blog Entries

Watchfinder taking the p@as surely?

I can’t believe the prices they are asking. Is this real market value?

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

It is for Watchfinder, they’ve always been ahead of the curve of rising watch prices!

I think it’s the greater fool market value.😀

Doesn’t time fly. It was less than 30 months ago you could walk into an AD and try one on without difficulty.

Journeyman
    Pride and Pinion have a gen 1 overseas at £15k
    The prices being achieved currently for high-end pieces, particularly blue dialled pieces are crazy.

Is it the demand for Rolex and AP not being met, spilling over and finally driving demand across the market?

I don't know. From talking to some of the guys at P&P tho?
    Their prices are very much being driven by demand.

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    The blue dial is basically a never ending wait list now. Even the silver dial has a year long wait list at the boutique and a couple years elsewhere. The black is somewhere in the middle.

World gone mad…

It would be interesting to know what their buy-in price would be. I can’t believe there is long term value retention at that price.

Well done for getting one when you did Martyn

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 6th November 2021 at 17:31.

I wouldn’t describe it as taking the piss as they clearly state the retail price. Who would pay that much though!

It makes this look good value, almost tempted to buy it to tide me over until I get the call from AP (which I’m well aware may never happen)!

https://subdial.co/products/vacheron...BoCjsEQAvD_BwE

At that price I'd rather buy an Aquanaut for £40k or better yet the dual time for £23k.

Nice watches but they are simply not on the same level as PP or AP, holy trinity or not. Watchfinder are the new Foxtons.

Grand Master
    Ramping those prices up nicely as the new year discounts will look amazing!
    RIAC

Price doesn’t seem too far out from other dealers. WF get a lot of stick from other dealers for pricing high but they can pretty much set the prices as they are the biggest and hold the most stock, you can be sure that the other dealers keep a close eye on the WF site and adjust their prices accordingly.
    Whether anyone is buying is another matter, WF have been holding pretty much the same stock of 5711’s for months. Every so often they disappear for a bit and arrive again as new stock a couple of days later at a higher price. WF now seem to think 90-95k is the going rate but their customers clearly aren’t buying.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    It would be interesting to know what their buy-in price would be. I can’t believe there is long term value retention at that price.

Well done for getting one when you did Martyn

D

Why not get a quote from them? Pretty easy to fill out.Seem to recall there markup was 50% for breitling.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Richemont inflating Richemont shocker.

I sold one on here about a year ago for about half of that. Anyone paying these overinflated prices for sports watches has more money than sense. The 5711 prices are an absolute joke. Imagine what horological brilliance you could buy for £95k.

Just over 2 years ago -

Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Hi guys have for sale my Rolex 116506 platinum Daytona comes with box,warranty card green hang tag and Daytona booklet Watch was originally sold in 2014 there are 10 links on the bracelet and 1 loose (so 1 short)Watch has been worn by me so it’s no safe queen there are a couple largeish scratches on the clasp (curtesy of a Costco shopping trolley)and a small dink on the clasp but nothing a polish wouldn’t sort I have no service history on the watch but it keeps excellent time purchased by me from wf February this year asking £48500 apologies if I’ve missed anything this is a cash raising exercise so no trades sorry also due to the value must be f2f
    Thank you

Now

Last edited by murkeywaters; 6th November 2021 at 20:11.

P@as?! If you mean Piss, yeah I’d agree they are taking the piss, it’s not worth even close to that. But, then, it’s not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The original retail price already have very healthy profits built it, even with 1/3 discount they would still be making money from you.

Blog Entries
    I suppose the answer is can you buy them cheaper elsewhere? If so they won't be in business long. Oh hang on......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    P@as?! If you mean Piss, yeah I’d agree they are taking the piss, it’s not worth even close to that. But, then, it’s not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think it’s Portuguese.

Master
    Surely it is more relevant to moan about the price of bread in the local shop that you will almost certainly buy rather than moan about the price of some watch you never ever intend to buy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Surely it is more relevant to moan about the price of bread in the local shop that you will almost certainly buy rather than moan about the price of some watch you never ever intend to buy.
    Perhaps it would be on a bread forum.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It’s relevant as I may need to adjust the replacement value for mine if WFs value is a true value. If WFs value is just an inflated I’ll just carry on. (Either way I still plan to wear my watches).

It’s ironic I bought mine from WF under retail not so long ago.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Im pleased with WF at the moment. I sold them a DJ a few weeks ago, they offered me more than i paid for it and when i said I was hoping for £500 more, they said ok then. Thats not happened for a very long time!

Master
    This was a pretty obvious situation to be honest - VC was massively undervalued up until very recently when compared to the other traditional 'holy trinity' watches.

People fed up with not being able to buy a Royal Oak or Nautilus were inevitably herded towards the remaining trinity steel sports watch with a few swift keystrokes into google.

If I'd had 10k to spare a year or 2 ago I'd have bought a mint Overseas and now be rubbing my hands together in glee.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    This was a pretty obvious situation to be honest - VC was massively undervalued up until very recently when compared to the other traditional 'holy trinity' watches.

People fed up with not being able to buy a Royal Oak or Nautilus were inevitably herded towards the remaining trinity steel sports watch with a few swift keystrokes into google.

If I'd had 10k to spare a year or 2 ago I'd have bought a mint Overseas and now be rubbing my hands together in glee.
    Do let us know what'll be next

But I do agree, this one seemed likely to happen, which is perhaps a self-fulfilling prophecy as I imagine the lists became full of people who thought it was likely to happen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Nice watches but they are simply not on the same level as PP or AP, holy trinity or not. Watchfinder are the new Foxtons.
    Not PP but I wouldn't put AP on another level.

Master
    They're only taking the p!ss if no-one buys it. If there is someone out there with more money than sense, then its obviously market value!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    They're only taking the p!ss if no-one buys it. If there is someone out there with more money than sense, then its obviously market value!
    This is the trick - the watches vanish as if they've been sold only to reappear at a later date listed for sale again. Trickery.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I can’t believe the prices they are asking. Is this real market value?
    [/IMG]
    The Gen 3 overseas has been trading well above retail for a while now

• COVID
    • Boutique only
    • Social Media
    • Greys
    • People realising it was under valued
    • Richemont changing their marketing... Orange strap fomo paired with blue dials

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    It’s relevant as I may need to adjust the replacement value for mine if WFs value is a true value. If WFs value is just an inflated I’ll just carry on. (Either way I still plan to wear my watches).
    You'll need to amend the value, all Vacheron Overseas have higher valuations now ( I did mine for insurance last month ). Continue to wear them, great watches.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    At that price I'd rather buy an Aquanaut for £40k or better yet the dual time for £23k.

The 5167/1A? really? And since when was the DT Blue's value at 23k? granted it is sell less on the secondary but you'd be lucky to get it for 28k & waiting a while for one at retail.

I'd also argue that it is nonsense to say Vacheron is not on the same level as AP. Even if you just compare the sports ranges the Overseas is ahead of the RO, better than the Aquanaut & on par with the nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    Pride and Pinion have a gen 1 overseas at £15k
    The prices being achieved currently for high-end pieces, particularly blue dialled pieces are crazy.

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk
    Gen 1 prices are simply to put it a Joke, they are in some cases going for more than the Gen 2 & the whole "blue is rare" sentiment across the industry is driving up Gen 1 prices to 2x more than they had been a year ago. I got my Gen2 Chrono LTD edition Leicester City for £8k at the start of 2020.

On PP they have a 47450/B01A-9226 going for £16,900.... People said I was crazy asking for £11k on march this year for mine. Tommy bought it in the end & I don't regret selling it for less then what the market has it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Ramping those prices up nicely as the new year discounts will look amazing!
    Blowers used that trick didn't they recently? Marking up the 4500V silver well above market then dropping it to £22,950.00

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    The whole more money than sense routine is getting a little boring.
    Someone willing to spend more money than you is not same as someone with more money than sense.
    If you use that logic, isn’t spending 5,10 or 20k on a watch susceptible to same categorisation?
    Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    No room for passing judgements on what someone wants to spend to acquire something.

It’s the p1@@ taking like this that puts me off them. 100% available nationwide new and usually with a
    discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    It’s the p1@@ taking like this that puts me off them. 100% available nationwide new and usually with
    discount.

It’s crazy that people pay the prices for watches easily available elsewhere. A couple of years ago I was sat in Watchfinder’s Maidstone office picking up a watch and the person at the next table was buying a one year old Airking for £1k above retail. There was no trade in and this customer paid the full asking price on his credit card without even negotiating. I had to walk by Fraser Hart, who were an AD at the time and literally two minutes away, on my way to their office and they had the Airking in the window, as did practically every AD at the time. If that’s not more money than sense I don’t know what is.

Craftsman
    It’s the p1@@ taking like this that puts me off them. 100% available nationwide new and usually with a
    discount.

I wonder if they stock things like this at slightly over list for people who are looking to trading up their current watch and can't at most ADs?

Craftsman
    discount.

How is that taking the piss?

Retail is £3,440? So it is under retail & has their margin on it.

Should they then lower their buy price, thus lowering their sell price?

Ofc you could go and buy it from an AD brand new, that same AD if they offered PxEx would list it for a similar price.

0.4 per cent/£15 under the new price for a second hand watch is taking the p@@s. You could walk into any Tudor jeweller in the country this afternoon and walk out with a brand new Pelagos for well under the £3440 list.

Craftsman
    It must be the ability to part ex that’s allowing wf to price so high for certain watches. A big chunk of their catalog is so high over market.. saying that though they tend to pay very well when selling to them and will likely have tons of overheads

Master
    Has anyone had any success negotiating a discount ?
    SWMBO is looking for one of these but their mark up over list is putting her off.https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...18/item/202285
    Last edited by SeePee; 14th November 2021 at 11:41.

0.4 per cent/£15 under the new price for a second hand watch is taking the p@@s. You could walk into any Tudor jeweller in the country this afternoon and walk out with a brand new Pelagos for well under the £3440 list.

Most people wouldn’t ever consider trying to negotiate a lower price at a retail establishment, be that an AD or WF.

In addition, most people have no idea of which watches are readily available, which are hard to buy or the RRPs of the watches they’re looking at. They see a watch they like and if they think the price is reasonable, they will buy it. It’s generally an impulse purchase so no due diligence will have been done.

Whether it’s p*ss taking or taking advantage of the general laziness of the general public is open to debate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Most people wouldn’t ever consider trying to negotiate a lower price at a retail establishment, be that an AD or WF.

In addition, most people have no idea of which watches are readily available, which are hard to buy or the RRPs of the watches they’re looking at. They see a watch they like and if they think the price is reasonable, they will buy it. It’s generally an impulse purchase so no due diligence will have been done.

Whether it’s p*ss taking or taking advantage of the general laziness of the general public is open to debate.
    I think a lot of it is also to do with Watchfinder being seen as quite a big brand that consumers can trust. I think there’s a lot to be said for the comfort factor.

Whatever it is it seems to be working for them.

Craftsman
    Similar to comments above, had to take my VC Overseas Blue to get valued for insurance renewal, was assessed at £32,500, I bought new 2 years ago with a small discount out of the window

I also had to revalue a 2019 AP RO Chrono blue that nearly 3 years old, that came in at £52,500, was bought new with a 3 month wait from an AD

The AP has a wow factor to it but the VC is the better watch all round, the micro adjustment, quick change, Geneva Seal, 22k rotor with open case back, finishing is incredible as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aren't they 2 different watches?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Just over 2 years ago -

Now

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's loads for sale around the £30k mark. Anyone seen one that has sold at this price?

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    There's loads for sale around the £30k mark. Anyone seen one that has sold at this price?
    What, 116506 platinum Daytonas?

I looked on eBay and the cheapest in the uk is over £100k

Up to circa quarter of a million spondoolies on C24

Craftsman
    Overseas blue? Yes.

Aren't they 2 different watches?
    Yes - the 48k platinum Daytona from 2 yrs ago has normal index markers- the 129k now on WF has diamond hour markers

Still, both now extortionate- but, they are beautiful watches

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    The 5167/1A? really? And since when was the DT Blue's value at 23k? granted it is sell less on the secondary but you'd be lucky to get it for 28k & waiting a while for one at retail.

I'd also argue that it is nonsense to say Vacheron is not on the same level as AP. Even if you just compare the sports ranges the Overseas is ahead of the RO, better than the Aquanaut & on par with the nautilus.
    I do like the Oversea Everest but my opinion is the prices of VC recently is due to a rising tide floating all ships more than anything else.

Everyone wanted Patek, the lists got clogged so everyone moved onto AP, the same happened again and now VC is being hyped by the same speculators.

Sometimes things aren't undervalued, they're just inflated. This is happening everywhere with everything as the minute, not just watches.

I was offered a blue DT overseas for £23,100 a few months ago and declined. Nice watch but too fancy for me. I remember the price because it was as I was picking up my YM42 and it was the exact same price. Since then the AD doesn't carry the blue DT anymore, I think that's also now boutique only but at the time only the three hander was boutique only.

Master
    Blog Entries

No I was back on the 4500v.

The point above was one was the diamond batton version. They are still around £100k

Again. As with the VC I question who is buying these.

Craftsman
    VC silver dial @ £24,900 now on watchfinder

Looks to be a 5100 movement model

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I think it’s the greater fool market value.😀

Doesn’t time fly. It was less than 30 months ago you could walk into an AD and try one on without difficulty.
    Unfortunately 30 months ago has zero relevance now unless one of us owns a time machine.

Craftsman
    23 months ago I was able to get a discount, now you might be unable to get on a waiting list…