closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "what car?" thread. - LR Freelander 2 experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Ironically what i currently own, on lease I add, but i wouldnt touch anything with the ingenium engine in it…horrible thing with lots of inherent engine problems. When they're great they're great, good power and expect 45 plus mpg on a run but that engine….jeez!!
    Is this what you mean FFF?

https://youtu.be/Mx_ule1keM0

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Is this what you mean FFF?

https://youtu.be/Mx_ule1keM0

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    Yeh, becoming a huge problem now.

For the 2.0 diesel Ingenium, is there a kit available to resolve the problem with the chain tensioner?

Our Discovery Sport is five years old with only 43K miles. Ideally I'd like to preempt any issues with the engine by getting the tensioner and any associated parts changed as intend to keep it for a good while yet.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Matt from high peak autos bought a jag xe with 90000 miles with the same diesel engine had an engine warning light on turned out it was the timing chains cost him 2k to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    For the 2.0 diesel Ingenium, is there a kit available to resolve the problem with the chain tensioner?

Our Discovery Sport is five years old with only 43K miles. Ideally I'd like to preempt any issues with the engine by getting the tensioner and any associated parts changed as intend to keep it for a good while yet.

I can only provide information anecdotally atm as we've decided due to the following factors not to attempt repair. IMO JLR should be coughing up for these and so at the moment we direct all our customers to JLR customer relations. Its a known issue, the dealers are doing these all the time (i still have many contacts within the dealers) and extracting a large amount of money to sort this doesn't feel right. Im told that there are loads of incidents of repeat failures where the components have been replaced. For that reason I'm not prepared to fix something potentially knowing the longevity of the repair may not be that long in engineering terms.

Another "what car?" thread. - LR Freelander 2 experiences?

May be a good time to get rid. The one on Salvage Rebuilds went around 70k.

For most diesels that is just broken in.

It sounds like this is an issue regardless of whether the service schedule has been followed?

So the choice is : be prepared to spend £2K at some point or spend £15-£20K on a suitable replacement.

Something else to worry about.

Jesus Christ, they really do employ some monkeys in these dealerships….theres so much to pull apart there i cant believe it. His service manager should have reviewed that and stopped him from sending it (the link within your link)

The problem is you just don't know what lies in store with whatever make of car you buy.

A friend of mine was Dealer Principal for a large Ford dealership and they had serious problems with the Ford 1.0 and 1.6 Ecoboost engine which led to total engine failure.

Maybe all electric is the way to go.

The problem is you just don't know what lies in store with whatever make of car you buy.

A friend of mine was Dealer Principal for a large Ford dealership and they had serious problems with the Ford 1.0 and 1.6 Ecoboost engine which led to total engine failure.

Maybe all electric is the way to go.

The 1.0 ecoboost is another lemon…throw away engine and too costly to repair so Ford were just chucking engines in them…probably still are

Wasn't there a large recall of BMW cars in 2022 for an engine fault?

It's very much pot luck out there. Which is nice

It's very much pot luck out there. Which is nice
    Don’t know about that. My Volvo with the D5 engine will easily do moon miles as long as regularly serviced and belts replaced at recommended manufacturer intervals.

Just one example; loads of good reliable engines out there.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/kia-hyu...e-replacement/

Master
    You really do need to do your homework these days. My rules of thumb:

- no dual clutch transmission gearboxes unless meticulously maintained (they rarely are)
    - no tiny engine (usually 3 pot) with a turbo slapped on it
    - no ingenium!
    - I'd be wary of any hybrid that isn't made by Toyota/Lexus
    - no diesels if not likely to go on a long motorway speed run once a fill up

I am currently running a Volvo V40 Cross country which is one of those fragile DCT gearboxes but it has been serviced regularly and so far reliable after 97k miles. The PSA 1.6 diesel in my car also doesn't have a great reputation but with good servicing there is plenty of folk that have done good mileage in them!

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    You really do need to do your homework these days. My rules of thumb:

- no dual clutch transmission gearboxes unless meticulously maintained (they rarely are)
    - no tiny engine (usually 3 pot) with a turbo slapped on it
    - no ingenium!
    - I'd be wary of any hybrid that isn't made by Toyota/Lexus
    - no diesels if not likely to go on a long motorway speed run once a fill up

I am currently running a Volvo V40 Cross country which is one of those fragile DCT gearboxes but it has been serviced regularly and so far reliable after 97k miles. The PSA 1.6 diesel in my car also doesn't have a great reputation but with good servicing there is plenty of folk that have done good mileage in them!
    The trouble with forums is illustrated in your post. I ran a 1 litre fiesta eco boost for 3 years and the engine - in fact the whole car - was brilliant. Faultless. It’s the only petrol car we’ve had in the family, all the rest are diesels and - living in Norfolk where the are no motorways - we’ve never had a problem with any of them, no dpf issues, used them for short and medium journeys (admittedly the country lanes up here allow spirited driving). One was a XC60 D5, the rest various VW’s. Not a single problem with any of them apart from regular servicing. Admittedly they’ve all been manuals - my wife hates automatics - but it’s really hard to make sweeping statements. Just imho of course but based on my own experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The trouble with forums is illustrated in your post. I ran a 1 litre fiesta eco boost for 3 years and the engine - in fact the whole car - was brilliant. Faultless. It’s the only petrol car we’ve had in the family, all the rest are diesels and - living in Norfolk where the are no motorways - we’ve never had a problem with any of them, no dpf issues, used them for short and medium journeys (admittedly the country lanes up here allow spirited driving). One was a XC60 D5, the rest various VW’s. Not a single problem with any of them apart from regular servicing. Admittedly they’ve all been manuals - my wife hates automatics - but it’s really hard to make sweeping statements. Just imho of course but based on my own experiences

Well of course, not 100% of cars flagged as having issues will have a problem, it's just more likely. Good that we can read about these issues on this and other forums.

Master

Totally agree, which is why I posted the bit about my car which is supposed to be unreliable but isn’t. I think a lot depends on how long you keep your car also. I tend to buy cars at 5-8 years old and keep them a long time after, so 3 years of trouble free motoring from a Fiesta doesn’t mean a lot.
    As I said, it is all about maintenance a lot of the time.

I think you're the one drawing the wrong conclusions here.
    Ford is a gigantic car manufacturer. If all its cars from a certain line failed, that car would not be on the roads. At all.
    If a significant proportion failed, you should know about it and choose accordingly.

People are up in arms because a few people got some undesirable symptoms after a vaccine. Are they linked to the injection? we don't know. But should they be flagged? Of course they should. And investigated in full (and they were).

After that you make your choices. In your case, I do not know the rate of failure within the first 50k miles; the first 100k miles. It could be as high as one car in 5. But if (having no motorways and only driving locally) you only did 20k, your chances of NOT having the issue are good (which doesn't mean negligible).
    So you had trouble free miles with it. Good. That's how it should be. Do you know how your car buyer fared? or the next car to come from the assembly line after yours?

Again, the majority of people with an eco boost 1l engine will be fine. It doesn't mean you shouldn't keep the issues in mind, especially if you're buying second hand with no guarantee. So that's the beauty of a forum, not the trouble. (Having a member that does it for a living helps).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    On the topic of Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - one of my elderly neighbours has a 66 plate 5 door Fiesta with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine, only done 20k miles. He's been told by the dealer that the "belt in the engine has failed or is about to fail" and that it would be cheaper to get a new engine than repair. He's not very happy at all.

Master
    To be fair there are lots of known issues with the Ford ecoboost engines.

Lower consumption & emissions with increased power requirements seem to some extent come at the cost of longevity.

DS

Hi, so if I’m thinking of getting a discovery sport should I go for the 2.2SD pre 2016 Ingenium engine introduction? Sorry, slightly off-topic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Hi, so if I’m thinking of getting a discovery sport should I go for the 2.2SD pre 2016 Ingenium engine introduction? Sorry, slightly off-topic.
    That’s what I would do! But based on no personal experience!

2.2 all day long

Thanks for the replies.

FFF - is that just simply to avoid the inherent design issues of the later engines that I’ve been reading about. Are the earlier 2.2 engines deemed reliable (or at least acceptably so)?

Thanks for the replies.

FFF - is that just simply to avoid the inherent design issues of the later engines that I’ve been reading about. Are the earlier 2.2 engines deemed reliable (or at least acceptably so)?
    Yeh, keep clear of the ingenium engine especially if you're looking at 2016my due to the issues, the 2.2 lump is great and whilst not trouble free id go as far as saying mechanically ie engine internals, they're almost bomb proof.
    Since introduction in 2007 I've never split a 2.2 engine.

Interesting - appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Yeh, keep clear of the ingenium engine especially if you're looking at 2016my due to the issues, the 2.2 lump is great and whilst not trouble free id go as far as saying mechanically ie engine internals, they're almost bomb proof.

Master
    Picked up this 28yr old thing today. If the repair costs don’t get me, the fuel consumption will !! The 4.0 sounds lovely, but 15mpg… ouch.

Andy.

I can’t be bothered reading this thread fully. Sorry.

But…the only thing I’ll say is…for anything Land Rover related trust Franky Four Fingers. I will personally vouch for him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Picked up this 28yr old thing today. If the repair costs don’t get me, the fuel consumption will !! The 4.0 sounds lovely, but 15mpg… ouch.

Andy.
    Would be interested in how you get on with that as I’ve often been tempted by one. What’s the spec like?

Master
    Pretty basic… it’s the final year of the YJ version (square headlights). So leaf springs, drum rear brakes (discs on front)… which do stop you, eventually… with some forward planning.

Auto box only has 3 speeds, and it seems to choose one at random.

It’s got an OEM sound bar with speakers that work when they want to. The fan blows 2 speeds… and the temperature controls are either hot or cold. Apart from that, it’s pretty spartan inside.

I declined the hard top, was never going to use it.. and it takes up far to much room for storage. So the seller still has that. It did come with an extra set of steel wheels with rubber on them, a pair of half doors for summer, plus all manner of bikini tops, weather covers etc.

Have done a couple of hundred miles in it this weekend, and so far nothing has fallen off.

Andy.

Next vid along, if he's doing the chains he should do the shaft…and i wouldn't put to much faith in the turbo long term, its why we wont touch these.
    https://youtu.be/G2LFNgaP6_U

Craftsman
    The video for replacing the timing chain is up. Dropped off at an Indy garage to do the work.
    The mechanic knows his stuff and does a great job filming the work.

Master
    Just to resurrect this thread - does this mean that the ones that are Euro 6 / ULEZ compatible are also the ones to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Just to resurrect this thread - does this mean that the ones that are Euro 6 / ULEZ compatible are also the ones to avoid?
    Yes, the 1994cc ingenium engine. Basically discovery sport and Evoque from 2016.

Master
    Yes, the 1994cc ingenium engine. Basically discovery sport and Evoque from 2016.
    Thanks. That is exactly the models we were looking at!
    Is there a bigger engine that is ok?

Thanks. That is exactly the models we were looking at!
    Is there a bigger engine that is ok?
    So the earlier engine which is the 2.2, in the FL2 from 2007 to 2015 and in the Disco Sport for about a year from 2015-16. That engine is all but bullet proof

Master
    So the earlier engine which is the 2.2, in the FL2 from 2007 to 2015 and in the Disco Sport for about a year from 2015-16. That engine is all but bullet proof
    Thanks. We have a FL2 now but as the ULEZ zone is expanding, my wife is looking to change to something compatible. She likes the FL2, so thought we’d look at a replacement but that would be a Discovery Sport or an Evoque. I remembered this thread and thought I’d double check. Hmm, maybe a no-go.

Thanks. We have a FL2 now but as the ULEZ zone is expanding, my wife is looking to change to something compatible. She likes the FL2, so thought we’d look at a replacement but that would be a Discovery Sport or an Evoque. I remembered this thread and thought I’d double check. Hmm, maybe a no-go.
    Just do your homework, the ingenium is a a clean, powerful and refined engine which is also very economical but it has some terrible issues. Balance shafts, timing chains and tensioners, turbo issues, Ad-blu and DPF problems becoming more common. Were also seeing more problems now with low flow through the EGR’s which is caused by blocked filters and failed DPFS. I had one along with my business partner for 4 years and it never missed a beat but then it was under warranty so never bothered us however more and more people are experiencing these issues now.

Master
    Just do your homework, the ingenium is a a clean, powerful and refined engine which is also very economical but it has some terrible issues. Balance shafts, timing chains and tensioners, turbo issues, Ad-blu and DPF problems becoming more common. Were also seeing more problems now with low flow through the EGR’s which is caused by blocked filters and failed DPFS. I had one along with my business partner for 4 years and it never missed a beat but then it was under warranty so never bothered us however more and more people are experiencing these issues now.
    Thanks. I think with our max budget we’d be looking at ones more likely to be in the range of having issues.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had four JLR products with this engine and had no problems at all. Is it something that occurs at high mileages ?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I’ve had four JLR products with this engine and had no problems at all. Is it something that occurs at high mileages ?
    Looking at the many horror stories across many forums across the intersphere, the answer to that seems a definite no.

Stories from the interweb of engines self destructing with a FSH at less than 50k miles.

Count yourself lucky.

Grand Master
    Just read this thread, I’m always interested to know why things go wrong and get into the nitty gritty detail. The video showing the timing chain replacement on the ingenium engine was fascinating. Hadn’t realised modern engines were designed this way with the timing chain at the ‘wrong’ end of the engine buried behind the flywheel . Certainly makes repair/ replacement a far more involved task!

I’m amazed that manufacturers produce car engines with reliability issues like this, no way would I consider owning a model with this engine, looks like trouble waiting to happen and its not a cheap fix!

Blog Entries
    Looking at the many horror stories across many forums across the intersphere, the answer to that seems a definite no.

Stories from the interweb of engines self destructing with a FSH at less than 50k miles.

Count yourself lucky.
    Normally trade them in after 2-3 years so perhaps helps. Mind you I had a Freelander 1 and never had any head gasket problems, so perhaps luck does come into it!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    No not really all sorts of mileage, like you mine and my mates was fine, a lot aren’t

Blog Entries
    No not really all sorts of mileage, like you mine and my mates was fine, a lot aren’t

Fingers crossed then! 🙂

Master
    I really wish I had taken heed of this thread.
    Sold my unreliable old 1994 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 posted earlier. Also sold my Merc CLS 350.
    Thought I’d get 1 vehicle to cover both jobs… and 2 months ago went for a 2017 Disco Sport from a local car dealership who sells a lot of Land Rovers.

67 days later… engine has exploded. Happened when I was in York so AA towed it to a local LR Indy and I got a train back up to Scotland. Just had a call today from the Indy… engine has no oil pressure and turbo now has shrapnel in it. New turbo and LR approved reconditioned engine required… £12300 after VAT.
    FFS.

Sold my unreliable old 1994 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 posted earlier. Also sold my Merc CLS 350.
    Thought I’d get 1 vehicle to cover both jobs… and 2 months ago went for a 2017 Disco Sport from a local car dealership who sells a lot of Land Rovers.

67 days later… engine has exploded. Happened when I was in York so AA towed it to a local LR Indy and I got a train back up to Scotland. Just had a call today from the Indy… engine has no oil pressure and turbo now has shrapnel in it. New turbo and LR approved reconditioned engine required… £12300 after VAT.
    FFS.
    I thought by law a car sold by a dealer comes with a mandatory minimum 3 month warranty. So, the £12.3k is the dealers problem.

Just hassle for you.

FFS.
    Sadly you're in the same boat as hundreds of others up and down the country, i know thats little comfort but your experience isn't in isolation. Sadly i cant offer you any advise other than what Notaglove just said. Its surely the car dealers issue!